USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so apparently, it seems that Philadelphia is making some murmurs. What do some think? If no one else, other than L.A., or 3-tier cities come forward, should they be given a try.

Why not? They have the New York region not too far away to get a hue area to market too. However where would sailing and mountain biking be held?

Philly is an interesting idea. They wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd like to see what they offer. Not sure they could beat the likes of Paris.

Toronto beat Paris so what is stopping Philli. Granted Toronto is an Alpha city but Philli is just one step lower.

Sailing shouldn't be a problem. The New Jersey shores aren't that far away. Philly may have a hard time with the likes of Paris or whatever other Alpha city, but it's certainly a much better option than a Minneapolis or a Pittsburgh, or maybe even a re-hash L.A. Bid.

Paris will be formidable next time. It's getting to the point where they'll be extremely difficult to deny. That wasn't the case for 2008 when the momentum was with Beijing anyway.

Interesting point. Do you think a Munich/Swiss/Norway/Swedish 2022 win will hamper a Paris bid for 2022?

Sailing shouldn't be a problem. The New Jersey shores aren't that far away. Philly may have a hard time with the likes of Paris or whatever other Alpha city, but it's certainly a much better option than a Minneapolis or a Pittsburgh, or maybe even a re-hash L.A. Bid.

Oh okay that's true. Mountain biking?

well, what happens to a formidable Paris if a credible South African bid is in the picture too. I think that would change that aspect a great deal.

And a Tokyo, Toronto, USA bid. :lol:

well, what happens to a formidable Paris if a credible South African bid is in the picture too. I think that would change that aspect a great deal.

It would. Add the US into the race and who knows what will happen... Ferocious. Almost the opposite of 2020.

2020 will have more impact on 2024 than 2022. If a non-European nation hosts 2020, I'd say chances are good that Europe will get both 2022 and 2024.

I'm not that familiar with the area to know where mountain biking could be held. But perhaps one of our east coast members can fill us in on that one.

By looking at google maps the Appalachian mountains look like a good area but the thing is its about 2 hours away.

yeah, but you don't necessarily needs mountains for mountain biking. Chicago 2016 was proposing such in Madison, WI - 2-1/2 hrs away. But then again, 2 hours for Philly to the actual mountains should be feasible then. Where would Toronto propose mountain biking if you guys have no mountains nearby?

yeah, but you don't necessarily needs mountains for mountain biking. Chicago 2016 was proposing such in Madison, WI - 2-1/2 hrs away. But then again, 2 hours for Philly to the actual mountains should be feasible then. Where would Toronto propose mountain biking if you guys have no mountains nearby?

Well Hardwood Hills was the proposed place in 2008 which is about 50 minutes away. However it can easily be done in the Don Valley area which is 20 minutes away. But the Hardwood site will likely win out as it will get experience with the 2015 games.

I think the fact that LA kept pace with Chicago bodes well for their chances of upstaging Philly. Have to wait and see what they propose...

that was a different domestic race though. Like the actual bidding process, would the USOC process have different dynamics in play next time around that Philly could still give L.A. A run for their money.

OK, first a WOG try from the West Coast. If that doesn't work, then I'd go with Philly. I actually like the idea of a Philly bid. It's one of the more underrated cities of the U.S. It's got a lot of high art settings (which the IOC likes to see itself surrounded by in their pow-wows), it's named after an ancient Greek city, and it's got a great ROCKY theme to build their campaign on. Plus, they got a lot of universities which can provide tons of dorm space.

Also, Wash, DC, Baltimore and Princeton are all pretty much an hour away and these could be great satellite cities.

But all this is for at least 2028 or 2032.

I'd love to see an East Coast summer games (I consider Atlanta more south than east), and Philly definitely seems like one of the few keen ones wanting to try. Not that I've been there, but I sure wouldn't be averse to it or write off their chances.

I lived in Philly from 2002 - 2006. I loved the city: vibrant, multi-ethnic, amazing BYOB restaurant culture (which is miles removed from the typical cheese-steaks associated with the city) and a strong sport culture. For history buffs, it is a gem - after all it was the capital of the US.

That said, it is also:

- a poverty stricken city

- has a ramshackle, dysfunctional transit system in the form of SEPTA

- a myopic city council looking only to the next election

- dominated by a single company, in the form of Comcast

Thus, as much as I love Philly, I see it a little like the "Atlanta of the North". The city really is a third tier city, and unless Comcast finances the bid (a la the 1996 Coca Cola bid from Atlanta), they don't have the money.

Considering virtually any city in the United States that talks about an Olympic bid these days is strapped for cash, where do we draw the line then. N considering a winter Olympic bid doesn't appear to be the answer, then we should at least explore other reasonable possibilities that may be interested in the summer category.

For one, its not like Rio is the Beverly Hills of Brazil nor is South Africa any marvel of a perfect society. But Rio is hosting N despite all of South Africas social problems, we always talk about them in hosting the big event sometime soon. Philly has its problems, what big city doesn't, but if they can propose something worthwhile, I'd at least like to C what they have to offer.

N perhaps an Olympics could be a catalyst for some needed upgrades in infrastructure. N for a metropolitan area of over 6 million, I would hardly consider that 3rd tier. A label of a mini New York or the New York of Pennsylvania seems much more appropiate.

... but if they can propose something worthwhile, I'd at least like to C what they have to offer.

N perhaps an Olympics could be a catalyst for some needed upgrades in infrastructure. N for a metropolitan area of over 6 million, I would hardly consider that 3rd tier. A label of a mini New York or the New York of Pennsylvania seems much more appropiate.

1) You can see exactly what they have to offer: Philly bid for 2016 - the USOC eliminated them.

2) Philly is FAR from a mini-NYC, or even an NYC of Pennsylvania. Using the population in the general area is not really relevant. Then I can say Camden should bid as it has a metro area of 6 million. I love Philly, but I see Houston, Seattle, Miami, Boston, Washington, Dallas, San Francisco all before I see Philly. Having Philly be the US candidate will be like Atlanta 2.0.

oh, come on now. That's being disingenuous. Using Camden for Philly is like trying to use Gary, IN for Chicagos figures or Newarks for New York. We all know that Philadelphia is the CORE city for that region, based by marketing N by the US census bureau. But if your perception of them is not that great, then you're entitled to that opinion. However, I see them a bit more than just an Atlanta 2.0. The same could be said about many of the other cities that you mentioned really.

N the USOC also eliminated Houston. But yet you say that you would C them before Philly. But that was a different domestic bid race that had other, more appealing cities on the 2016 roster. If the next domestic bid race only has Philly N LA, its not like the USOC will have a lot to choice from. You gotta go with what you have.

Miami I can't see. N San Francisco is always a bureaucratic mess. N the others don't seem to be interested anyway. While Philly apparently is making some noise, which is really the crux of the matter; who is really interested.

I've made my thoughts known on Philadelphia before, so of course, I'm happy to see any spark they might have to pursue an Olympics bid because if New York isn't going to go for it anytime soon, my next preference is for Philly. Canis, I too lived in Philadelphia for 4 years when I was in college and have strong affinity for the city. But I think you're selling them short if you are trying to liken them to Atlanta and/or the other laundry list of cities you mentioned (most of which were not in the running for 2016). After all, it's not their fault they sit halfway between the government center of the country of 1 of the primary financial capitals of the world. All the more incentive for them to prove what they have and that's going to be pretty inviting to the IOC that they can say how close you are to several other major population centers (and BTW.. if using the population of the metro area isn't relevant, what does that say about San Francisco). Not to mention the fact that Philadelphia has a very strong sports culture, and less we forget that when the issue comes to light about no American city being in need of a large scale athletics stadium, it's worth noting that Philadelphia hosts the world's largest track meet and has for more than a century.

Obviously the USOC's preference is to go with 1 of the alpha cities and maybe that means Los Angeles if not of the others are in it. But in that next grouping of American cities, Philadelphia belongs in that discussion, IMO.

Found this comment on another website about having a Philly Games:

"We'd see a bunch of new world records; that's for sure. You have no idea how fast you can run until someone drops you off in the middle of North Philly at 2:00am"

:lol: .. I'd love to see a Philly Games. Boston too. I think they can get enough going for them to be a contender.

I would support Philly or Boston before I support Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, or even LA.

But I have to admit, this would seem like an odd choice when you look at recent past or potential future hosts being Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, then Philadelphia?

Archived