Will there be a late bidder in the 2020 race?

Soaring

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there will be a late bidder in the 2020 race?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my 2 cents on the situation.

If Doha gets the go ahead to change the days then I think it is still possible to to get the Games.

By 2013 everyone and there mother would have forgotten the voter buying issues that we had this year.

There 2009 Asian games were an amazing display of their ability to host a games and put on an amazing show.

In a field that has2 countries with economic hardship as the front runners Rome and Madrid, A city that has so much more to focus on than the olympics Tokyo and a fourth which sad to say doesn't have a shot against the other 3 Istanbul I think Doha can come in and take it all.

Simple Fact London 2012 too close for another European games especially after Athens 2004 people are picking up on the every other games in Europe and yeah i get it when you have less formidable challengers then hell yeah go back to Europe but Doha has money and they are not afraid to spend it. So I say let them host it.

Interesting argument. The thing that bothers me the most about Qatar is that it's solely about prestige for them. They have no real sporting tradition. Although you make some very valid points, I still say the Olympics should go to a country that actually has athletes.

Besides, I doubt the IF's will be overjoyed about Games in October....

Even with--and precisely because of 2022 in both good and bad ways-- is a new Doha bid a joke. Of course, since they "won" 2022, they're all fluffed up that anything is possible. But now, they're using the "outside the specified IOC window" as an excuse to save face.

I mean their building 9 stadia for 2022 is on the table; and then all of a sudden, 2 dozen smaller arenas, 150 training sites for the various teams alone, are expected to sprout 2 years before the 2nd joke, World Cup 2022?? Why don't they host Stand-up Comedy World Championships instead?

What the desert heat can do to one's brain? Well, we shouldn't forget Lawrence of Arabia. <_<

I think that with Qatar the dates serve as an excuse, the real reasons being the lack of tradition and Olympic spirit, WC 2022 etc. If the IOC felt a real need to go some place I believe the switch of dates could be accepted.

OMG!! Ulan Bator is finally going to come true!! U weren't here yet, but Puppy and I (well mostly Puppy--but I gave the germ of the idea) made an Ulan Bator 2024 bid!! This was way back in around 2005! Of course, I even drew the diagrams for the Lighting of the Torch after an inter-galactic Torch Relay wherein every universe and planet was covered except for the troublesome Romulan (I think it was) Quadrant. They were bypassed on that Relay. And then the Torch came back to earth in the Space Shuttle which flew directly into the Ulan Bator cauldron to light it!! Those were the days!!

U could probably find it in the archives.

Istanbul should be wary of Doha bidding. Even if the IOC accepts Doha's autumn dates, it doesn't mean Doha will be shortlisted, but eliminating only one city is very unlikely, so Istanbul (which is expected to score lower than Rome, Madrid and Tokyo) may fall with Doha. But that's unlikely, IMO. Anyway, on the other hand, if Doha was finally accepted and shortlisted, they could also steal some votes from Istanbul, and we know the Qataris have many "friends" everywhere, so I can imagine them beating the Turks.

So it seems each city will have a special enemy for 2020: Rome vs. Madrid, Istanbul vs. Doha and Tokyo vs. itself and the PyeongChang effect.

Mongolia 2040?

Following the latest trends, taking into account they will be a new frontier and as long as they have the money, I think Ulan Bator can be considered the early early early favourite for 2040. What is more, India (if they don't host before) could be the only one putting them in the shade :P

Even with--and precisely because of 2022 in both good and bad ways-- is a new Doha bid a joke. Of course, since they "won" 2022, they're all fluffed up that anything is possible. But now, they're using the "outside the specified IOC window" as an excuse to save face.

I mean their building 9 stadia for 2022 is on the table; and then all of a sudden, 2 dozen smaller arenas, 150 training sites for the various teams alone, are expected to sprout 2 years before the 2nd joke, World Cup 2022?? Why don't they host Stand-up Comedy World Championships instead?

What the desert heat can do to one's brain? Well, we shouldn't forget Lawrence of Arabia. <_<

The thing about the World Cup is that their motivation is trying to increase soccer football's presence in countries where it isn't as big. That's why I thought they'd pick the United States for 2022. The IOC is different though. As we know, they want to leave a legacy where they go. I don't see how a bunch of white elephants (in addition to all the white elephants the World Cup is going to provide) is what they're looking for, let alone that it's all contingent on them asking to move the traditional timeframe just to make their bid be accepted.

The thing about the World Cup is that their motivation is trying to increase soccer football's presence in countries where it isn't as big. That's why I thought they'd pick the United States for 2022. The IOC is different though. As we know, they want to leave a legacy where they go. I don't see how a bunch of white elephants (in addition to all the white elephants the World Cup is going to provide) is what they're looking for, let alone that it's all contingent on them asking to move the traditional timeframe just to make their bid be accepted.

Yes, yes, yes.

Some facts about Qatar:

They sent 22 athletes to Beijing who competed in 7 sports.

Qatar has been unable to field a team for any team sport in the Olympics.

In the history of the Olympic Games, Qatar has won 2 Olympic medals -- both bronze.

As of 2008 they were one of only 3 countries never to send a female athlete to the Games, but they are hoping to send some female fencers to London.

it doesn't mean Doha will be shortlisted, but eliminating only one city is very unlikely,

Why? I'm unaware of an IOC rule that they can only eliminate an even number of cities, or it has to be more for one. They'll just eliminate whatever doesn't make their benchmark, be it one, two, five or none.

If it bids, and gets shortlisted or not, I trust the IOC have seen all too clearly what choosing Qatar did to the reputation of FIFA. They made the hard call on it once before when it eliminated it from the 2016 race (and that wasn't even a clean cut considering it sat above Rio in the technical points rankings), I'd see no reason why they would suddenly get Doha-fever now.

OMG!! Ulan Bator is finally going to come true!! U weren't here yet, but Puppy and I (well mostly Puppy--but I gave the germ of the idea) made an Ulan Bator 2024 bid!! This was way back in around 2005! Of course, I even drew the diagrams for the Lighting of the Torch after an inter-galactic Torch Relay wherein every universe and planet was covered except for the troublesome Romulan (I think it was) Quadrant. They were bypassed on that Relay. And then the Torch came back to earth in the Space Shuttle which flew directly into the Ulan Bator cauldron to light it!! Those were the days!!

U could probably find it in the archives.

I will certainley look for it.

Why? I'm unaware of an IOC rule that they can only eliminate an even number of cities, or it has to be more for one. They'll just eliminate whatever doesn't make their benchmark, be it one, two, five or none.

Well, while there's no "official" rule, there's at least precedence of eliminating more than one bid from a short-list. I'd have to agree with Athensfan on this one. It would be politically awkward to just not include one bid from any particular applicant roster. I can't really see the IOC doing it, unless it was something totally ludicrous, like a Tulsa, Edmonton, Hobart, Baku or Havana.

Well, while there's no "official" rule, there's at least precedence of eliminating more than one bid from a short-list. I'd have to agree with Athensfan on this one. It would be politically awkward to just not include one bid from any particular applicant roster. I can't really see the IOC doing it, unless it was something totally ludicrous, like a Tulsa, Edmonton, Hobart, Baku or Havana.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. No-one likes to be eliminated, whether they're by themselves or have company. It's the ruthless stage of the procese, anyway.

I do think the IOC would prefer to eliminate two bids rather than just one for political reasons, but it really depends on the quality of the bids. If Doha is terrible and Istanbul is strong then they might just give Doha the boot and the IOC would have to just suffer the accusations of anti-Arab bias or "climatism."

If Doha is totally impractical it won't be shortlisted no matter what. If it's just awkward, the IOC may let them sneak into the candidate stage, knowing they haven't got a snowball's chance in Doha of winning.

If Istanbul is strong it won't be eliminated no matter what. If Istanbul is on the bubble it could get the axe with Doha.

If I had to pick Doha would be eliminated. Why move the games for a country smaller then the size of Toronto for example? and has a population of less then a million? Australia was a summer power (still is) and deserved a games. Qatar on the other hand has won 2! the amount of medals China won in less then an hour in 2008! + the two medalists weren't even Qatari born (they were Somali and Bulgarian I believe).

BREAKING:

Doha expected to bid for the 2020 games if the IOC allows them to host outside the normal window:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/14007-exclusive-doha-2020-olympic-bid-

hinges-on-date-change-request

This has to be the weakest of the five bids.

Doha!! It will be the weaskest among with Tokyo... But is one more bid! :) hope Doha bids!!

If Doha enters, it will weaken Istanbul in the first round.

Baron. I think you're right about that. I've waited a littl bit before writing down how I feel about this, about entering of a possible Qatari Bid. But you know (off the record) I had always a feeling in my whole life that 2020 is the most dedicated and aesthetically year for a bicontinental Istanbul bid. Because of the presentation twice #2 in this year. I had this feeling never for 2000+2004+2008+2012. On the other hand 2002 and 2022 are also handsome years and it will be also handsome/dedicated if the USA organised both WOG's (salt lake & eventually Reno)

Now away from that feeling. Qatar has organised 1 big games in 2006, that of the ASIAD. And the rest you know for 2022 WC. However I congratulatd Qatar's winning for WC"22, I was and still am suspicious about their glory. Mony counts you know. But can you buy a prestig project like the Olympics like an WC? Anyway if Doha enters the race I would more than happy if they do so. Doha is/will not be the rival of Istanbul in any case; B'cause of 2 reasons:

1 - Istanbul will prepare a splendid homework and they will work/study parallel an eventually Doha bid. Because the Turkish PM Erdogan said that he is been previleged to follow in person every single move and work of 'the road to 2020'. He already set up several 'sort of' cabinet system whereby every single segment will work on 1 item. The big final will be to put them togheter. For istanbul it serious this time. The work is deliverd secure and will be delivered in excellence as the PM don't want any faults. Whole the focus is now totally on 2020.

2 - An eventually Qatari bid will promote automatically Istanbul in the middle east" & Arap region. The Turkish media + TRT-Arabic + Turkish daughter company of Aljazeera are pomping a lot of information about the politicle dinamics in Turkey towards whole the region; As nowadays the Turkish PM is beloved HUGELY in the Arab-streets aftr the 'ONE MINUTE' stiutation in Davos towards the Israili president Ytzak Rabin a few years ago. Also the Turkish Arabesque + Pop Artists + Turkish Soap-Series are beloved too by the regional/rural people. A lot of Turkish investment in those countries are well-known on the highst level, as Turkish companies are building th Dubai/Abu Dhabi metro system, the speed train between Mekkah and Madinah (the 2 holy cities) .. Building several airports in Arap countries like in Tunisia, Iran, Egytp .. and the list goes on and on. The Arab TV stations will verify in whol the bid/applicant proces Doha with Istanbul. And this will be whole the BIG PLUS in promoting Istanbul. Also we have to be aware that in Syria, Iraq, and other countries in the region are buying and selling Turkish Textile, are eating Turkish vegetables, also everyting .. everything what you buy in Northern Irak and Northern Syria is Turkish; from cookies to love-soap-series, from bottle of water till the music cd's, from finalized petroleum products to appartements/houses and villa's build by Turkish Companies.

Turkey is not the old Turkey anymore. Turkey has created in th last 10 years an economicle bassin in whole the region. Every single Arab is in contact with Turkish products in every field. Turkish Airlines flies to the Kurdish City of ARBIL in Northern Iraq. Turkish Airlins was in the beginning the only airline flying to it.. it were the Turkish Companis who rebuild totally from zero the EIA ERbil Intenational Airport. etc .. etc ..

Istanbul will deliver a clean games and her own extravaganza with her own oriental flavor what Doha doesn't have. Not even speaking about the population + surface numbers and the ancient backdrop. Istanbul has a marathon for about 33 years .. Istanbul has a biennal festival for almost 50 years including, Film, opera, music, theather, contemporary arts, Clasicle arts .. Turkey has organised in the past 13 years about approximatily over th 100 sports organisations in every Olympic and non-Olympic Sportsbranches. And Turkish sportsmen gained more medals in in 5-10 fold in all these organisations then that whole the repbublic history together did. Istanbul has her own intelligencia in arts, geology, architecture, literature, sports, politics, women movements, anti-nucliair movements .. etc. Istanbul has the finest Turkish Cuisine 3rd worldwide. Istanbul has about more than 50 Universities that brings colour, enjoyment and lif into the city. Istanbul has sufficient Hotel capacity to organise a huge event like the Olympics and is still building more. Istanbul has the Blue and the Green concept in her city-spirit that forms the belovd turquios. Istanbul has renovated a huge number of old and ancient curiosities in whole of the city. Istanbul is building her Canal that will form an alternative for the posphorus street, so all the istanbuliots and tourist and all range of watersporst, from surfing to openwater swimming can benefit of this beauty on water; Wheras those sports will be located at the Olympics. Istanbul has connected the two continents under the street by speed-rail "MarmaraRail" (shortly Marmaray) that will be operational in 2013. Conenting The Olympic Park with already excisting 2 airports, whereas the 3rd one will be build with a capacity of 60-70 million passangers/year. This will be also conencted with the Olympic Park and city center. At the North Shores of Istanbul will be build 'New Istanbul' A project of PM Erdogan, beeing prepared in Massachusets. Istanbul is one of the fewest cities in the world for about more than 1500 km fyberoptic cable network.

Istanbul is growing very smartly, every (eventually) future cluster is already reachable with rail and metrobus systems. Everything is been done to creat a TOP-CLASS city to benefit the world, where ancient and modern are not contrasting each-other but they are truly in harmony with eachother. Istanbul is not only from the Turks. Istanbul is from the Greeks, Istanbul is from the Kurds, Istanbul is from the Syrians, Iraqians, Jews, Armeniens .. Istanbul if from the Europeans, the Asians the Americans .. Istanbul is actually a world on its own arming every single world citizen. The aim of these 2020 Olympics will be the final in climax to show the world that Turkey and especially Istanbul is there for Everybody. This damn city ruled for centuries the world toghether with Rome. This city ruled once all our Arab families in whole the Arabian Penunsula.

So please don't think that Doha will weaken Istanbul, Doha will strenghten Istanbul more more. Because Istanbul is real with whole her character, whereas Doha is not. So Doha can join the club. And I deeply hope if they will not be shortlistd they will support Istanbul, If they lose the first round of voting that they will go %100 behind Istanbul.

note .. I will highlight (have the intention) every single item that I wrote here; More is to come when the "Istanbul2020" subforum is been created at September the first by GB-Mod.

regards

fatih

Last note: Turky really is an economic powerhous that will be used fully for an Olympic Games. 2020 is dedicated for a bicontinental city that is longing to meet her love 'the Olympics' .. ;)

Baron. I think you're right about that. I've waited a littl bit before writing down how I feel about this, about entering of a possible Qatari Bid. But you know (off the record) I had always a feeling in my whole life that 2020 is the most dedicated and aesthetically year for a bicontinental Istanbul bid. Because of the presentation twice #2 in this year. I had this feeling never for 2000+2004+2008+2012. On the other hand 2002 and 2022 are also handsome years and it will be also handsome/dedicated if the USA organised both WOG's (salt lake & eventually Reno)

2020 does look great, eh? It's right there with 1960 and 2000 for me.

2 - An eventually Qatari bid will promote automatically Istanbul in the middle east" & Arap region.

Here's hoping!

I really do hope theres another bidder

I think doha will be a good option

i dont know which city would be left out

but i think doha might have more luck this time around

opening to more areas i mean with 3 of the so far 4 bids being europe one of them is going to be knocked out first round.

i think madrid has a lower chance especially with the public support being so low

so we will just have to see i guess

Istanbul's bid for 2012 had scored only 4.8, while Doha scored 6.9 for 2016. I expect Doha to have more or less the same for 2020, but will Istanbul suddenly improve enough to get more points than Doha? I didn't like Doha 2016 not being shortlisted even though they had scored more than the winner, and I wouldn't like it if they were eliminated the same way again.

Istanbul's bid for 2012 had scored only 4.8, while Doha scored 6.9 for 2016. I expect Doha to have more or less the same for 2020, but will Istanbul suddenly improve enough to get more points than Doha? I didn't like Doha 2016 not being shortlisted even though they had scored more than the winner, and I wouldn't like it if they were eliminated the same way again.

istanbuls bid was higher at 2008 and 2004 races. and it droppped to 4,8 at 2012. it was funny.

If Doha enters, it will weaken Istanbul in the first round.

That's a very good point. Though I don't see them winning and I see them getting passed again with 4 cities inside the desired schedule.

Besides, all the turmoil caused by FIFA for choosing Qatar for 2022 makes me believe that the IOC would not grant them any SOGs in the near future.

Archived