Will there be a late bidder in the 2020 race?

Soaring

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there will be a late bidder in the 2020 race?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there will be. There's always been a surprising bid so this time doesn't have to be different :P

I'm curious to see what would happen if Doha and/or the USA joined the race. Would there be a shortlist (likely if they both bid)? Would Doha be the only one failing to be shortlisted? Would Istanbul or any other city fail too? Or, in case all of them were shortlisted (unlikely, IMO), how would votes split between Istanbul and Doha?

So far, "slightly" more people think we will see a last minute bid come from somewhere.

Who do you think the likely last minute bid(s) will come from?

Well according to Wikipedia, the cities that have expressed interest but have not officially cancelled they're bid nor start they're bid include: Egypt's Cairo, some unknown city in Kenya, Casablanca in Morroco, Dehli in India, Qatar's Doha, Berlin, Budapest, Libson, Monterrey or Guadalajara in Mexico, and Brisbane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Summer_Olympics#Potential_bids

Personally, my guesses that the last minute bids would likely be Dehli, Berlin, Brisbane, and/or Kenya's choice of city.

I think we've got our 4 candidates.

If Doha jumped in at the last second, it would be a non-starter -- mainly because of the FIFA fiasco.

Since Canada, the US and South Africa are all definitely out, the only last-minute entrant that would really make things interesting is Berlin. However, I still get the vibe that Germany is more focused on Munich 2022.

Personally, my guesses that the last minute bids would likely be Dehli, Berlin, Brisbane, and/or Kenya's choice of city.

Maybe just Delhi...!! Kenya I dont think so at least until 2028, Berlin... Munich 2022, Brisbane too soon!

I think we've got our 4 candidates.

If Doha jumped in at the last second, it would be a non-starter -- mainly because of the FIFA fiasco.

Since Canada, the US and South Africa are all definitely out, the only last-minute entrant that would really make

things interesting is Berlin. However, I still get the vibe that Germany is more focused on Munich 2022.

Of course, Berlin will make this very interestant Berlin vs Istambul!!! OMG :D Doha will be the outsider...

You're such a tease, Mo!

Okay, I'll bite. Who? Doha? Baku?

Baku has said no, wouldn't we have gotten a Doha confirmation because of the outside bid window confirmation?

Maybe a bid out of left field? Warsaw? Rabat? (do to Nawal's influence and possibility of RSA not bidding).

Baku has said no, wouldn't we have gotten a Doha confirmation because of the outside bid window confirmation?

The IOC made no official statement of who put in their letters of compliance. Most of what was gleand came through what the NOCs who did do so said. We know now that Canada and Turkey must have, for example, yet they were never mentioned in the press reports over those pre-application requirements.

I still stick by the fact that the surprise late bids almost always come from the likes of the former Soviet republics like Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan and such.

doha probably not brisbane we are still getting over the floods

kenya i dont think so maybe 2028 bid

berlin is a possibility in all honesty munich doesnt scream winter olympics to me

theres too many europe candidates if doha does bid i dont that think theyll be left out itll have to be a europe bid

delhi noooo they would definitly be knocked out although they have some money to splash around...

i would like to see a mexican bid but probably not

Its possible :lol: they could bid and wait for 2011 decision and withdraw/stay in the race :lol:

Anyways USOC is likely going full steam for 2024.

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=37697

"2022 not on radar"

Everything but the Velodrome is supposedly being built for the 2016 South Asian Games.

I guess all they'll need to propose is some trade fair for all the indoor sports, a major arena, and the expansion of their athletics stadium to be capable in hosting events as well as ceremonies, unless they choose the Cricket Stadium for that.

BREAKING:

Doha expected to bid for the 2020 games if the IOC allows them to host outside the normal window:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/14007-exclusive-doha-2020-olympic-bid-hinges-on-date-change-request

This has to be the weakest of the five bids.

This might not be great news for Istanbul, but Doha would be just wasting their time and money (both of which they have plenty of) on a bid. I can't see them getting out of the first round of voting.

The controversy in the 2022 WC only adds to reasons why the likely stand no chance at hosting.

This might not be great news for Istanbul, but Doha would be just wasting their time and money (both of which they have plenty of) on a bid. I can't see them getting out of the first round of voting.

The controversy in the 2022 WC only adds to reasons why the likely stand no chance at hosting.

Yes. Total waste of time and money. They probably think they can buy the IOC like they bought FIFA. I don't see it happening.

BREAKING:

Doha expected to bid for the 2020 games if the IOC allows them to host outside the normal window:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/14007-exclusive-doha-2020-olympic-bid-hinges-on-date-change-request

This has to be the weakest of the five bids.

That's just what Qatar needs.. to pile an Olympics on top of hosting a World Cup that they already seem ill-prepared for. Hard enough for Brazil and Russia to have to deal with that. Obviously Qatar has the money and resources to pull it off, but is it really worth it? I doubt it

Here's my 2 cents on the situation.

If Doha gets the go ahead to change the days then I think it is still possible to to get the Games.

By 2013 everyone and there mother would have forgotten the voter buying issues that we had this year.

There 2009 Asian games were an amazing display of their ability to host a games and put on an amazing show.

In a field that has2 countries with economic hardship as the front runners Rome and Madrid, A city that has so much more to focus on than the olympics Tokyo and a fourth which sad to say doesn't have a shot against the other 3 Istanbul I think Doha can come in and take it all.

Simple Fact London 2012 too close for another European games especially after Athens 2004 people are picking up on the every other games in Europe and yeah i get it when you have less formidable challengers then hell yeah go back to Europe but Doha has money and they are not afraid to spend it. So I say let them host it.

Archived