You most certainly are barriofilippe. Thank you for sharing and if you believe that it won't be the best, you have all the freedom on earth to believe that. But I am sure in the same breath that many other Brazilians, many of those who are involved as I'm sure you are, also believe it will be the best. So should they be assaulted for such beliefs? Those beliefs drive excellence.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. You guys are discussing if the olympics will be a success or a failure? We have to wait the handover to Tokyo to start to compare Rio with other olympics. The only thing I can say for sure now is

I don't understand why anyone even bothers to entertain this clown ^

Indeed / he sounds like a major fool! Compared to him, TELA appears positively tame...

So should they be assaulted for such beliefs? Those beliefs drive excellence.

Such beliefs, were they founded on actual evidence, would indeed be difficult to assail. However, as people far more eloquent than myself have already underlined, you are talking about an Olympic Games yet to occur - so maybe instead of going around accusing people of rooting for Rio de Janeiro to fail (à la Rush Limbaugh re: Obama), maybe you want to address the legitimate concerns about Rio's state of preparations.

Rio will deliver good and competent Olympic Games, no doubt - but it is (to use one of your stock phrases) officially nonsense to decry any criticism of the city, especially in light of the problems the city has been facing ever since that fateful day the IOC decided to make that leap towards Brazil...

• Like 1

"especially in light of the problems the city has been facing ever since that fateful day the IOC decided to make that leap towards Brazil..." This is catastrophic nonsense since it is absolute knowledge that every single city bidding for the games has some degree of problem/challenge/setback. I'm afraid my resolve remains unshaken. Your attempts to attack my freedom of belief is macroscopically futile. Do understand. But just in case you don't (I am quite sure you won't).....There is simply no space for me to care. All the best my dear, dear friend.

You most certainly are barriofilippe. Thank you for sharing and if you believe that it won't be the best, you have all the freedom on earth to believe that. But I am sure in the same breath that many other Brazilians, many of those who are involved as I'm sure you are, also believe it will be the best. So should they be assaulted for such beliefs? Those beliefs drive excellence.

Your use of pompous, redundant language makes you seem aspirational and faux-intellectual.

Anyway Thorne just seems like the latest mentally unstable troll to grace the forums. Nothing we haven't seen before

Now, slingshotting to you, Quaker, I am not crushed by Toronto and never said so. You have, most tragically, generalised my epic disappointment in the TORCH design to the overall event - a clear flaw in your assessment. Moreover, you mold the most spectacular untruth by saying that some of your kind spoke superlatively about the Olympiads in the cities mentioned, AFTER the games. There are numberless instances in the histories of this thread which show otherwise. The point remains that those who believe Rio Shall be the BEST reserve the right to believe so and to express their belief as they see fit and appropriate without having to be attacked by YOUR insecurities that it just very well may be. If you fear your skin will burn because of such posts....kindly, if you will, feel free to ignore as I hereby resolved to do with anymore posts about this non-issue about the majesty and epic splendour which the Rio games will unfurl upon the earth.

No.. I have generalized your general discontent with Toronto lately based on your reaction to the torch. Because you used to talk about Toronto in largely the same light you have Rio until the torch was unveiled. Since then, you've been a lot more negative and critical of them. But that's neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion.

Okay, so you BELIEVE that Rio shall be the best. I'm not attacking that opinion of yours, nor do I feel insecure that you are offering that opinion (perhaps you are the insecure one that you have to offer that up). Again, as I said in my previous post, there's a difference giving everyone your opinion and asking everyone to accept your opinion as fact, particularly for a future event. I'm not going to go through the history of this thread to figure out who said what. But when you talk about "the majesty and epic splendour which the Rio games will unfurl upon the earth", that is your opinion. It is one that not everyone here shares. It is certainly not a statement of fact and it is absurd for you to ask anyone to treat it as such. Good for you that you are that sure of this prediction that you're willing to stand by it so strongly. 15 months from now, if you are proven correct (key word there: "if"), then you can talk about it as fact. Until then, accept the fact that there is a possibility that Rio does not, quite literally, stun.

Your use of pompous, redundant language makes you seem aspirational and faux-intellectual.

Anyway Thorne just seems like the latest mentally unstable troll to grace the forums. Nothing we haven't seen before

Here's my theory (as usual, I managed to find a meme out there that sums up my thoughts)..

58614860.jpg

Throne,

Far be it for me to decry your manifest right to converse in the tones of an 18th Century dandy, but it really does just across in a forum like this as pretentious, pompous and presumptuous.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Throne,

Far be it for me to decry your manifest right to converse in the tones of an 18th Century dandy, but it really does just across in a forum like this as pretentious, pompous and presumptuous.

I heard a rumour Throne is a freelance authoritarian speech writer... Clients include ISIS and the Government of North Korea.

Careful ! Throne could be the real-life inspiration for Aloysius Pendergast

lolololo JMarkSnow! It is heartening to know that some people can be genuinely funny and not be crushed by stress! Owing to your brilliant sense of humour, (unlike the galactic failure that posted immediately before you), I commend you. Hope to "argue" with you again given your sincere maturity(lololol)

Thanks for the photos. I thought they might have been a bit further along in the process by this stage.

Michael,

You are right. This is not the stage those venues were supposed to be by now. Yes, they will be ready, but what a price! However, those venues are not what worries me the most. My major concerns are the communications infrastructure and urban mobility.

Michael,

You are right. This is not the stage those venues were supposed to be by now. Yes, they will be ready, but what a price! However, those venues are not what worries me the most. My major concerns are the communications infrastructure and urban mobility.

Interesting... what aspect of urban mobility? I study urban planning and am fascinated by South American transport systems - some of the most innovative in the world.

As for the venues - they do appear very behind. I'm not concerned that they can't be knocked together between now and mid 2016 - but more that they won't go through an appropriate level of testing before the big event. It seems like for many of them the Olympics will be the first event entirely - not the best.

Not to knock the Brazilian organisation, but this does appear to be the most worrying preparation since Athens.

Interesting... what aspect of urban mobility? I study urban planning and am fascinated by South American transport systems - some of the most innovative in the world.

As for the venues - they do appear very behind. I'm not concerned that they can't be knocked together between now and mid 2016 - but more that they won't go through an appropriate level of testing before the big event. It seems like for many of them the Olympics will be the first event entirely - not the best.

Not to knock the Brazilian organisation, but this does appear to be the most worrying preparation since Athens.

Rio hosted the Final of the World Cup 2014, the WYD 2013, the Military Games in 2011 and the Pan Am 2007. Rio have the biggest new year of world, with 2 millions people, in copacabana beach, is the most visited city in south hemisphere. We need more tests than it?

What are the points makes you think this is the worst organization of an olympiad ?

When I have time available I will create a topic only to show the progress of works of urban transport in Rio, it is not possible to show all of them here.

Rio hosted the Final of the World Cup 2014, the WYD 2013, the Military Games in 2011 and the Pan Am 2007. Rio have the biggest new year of world, with 2 millions people, in copacabana beach, is the most visited city in south hemisphere. We need more tests than it?

What are the points makes you think this is the worst organization of an olympiad ?

When I have time available I will create a topic only to show the progress of works of urban transport in Rio, it is not possible to show all of them here.

Great - more hot collared, defensive locals that turn a legitimate observation into some dramatic slander. I was referring to Rio's Olympic sports venues not being ready for thorough test events - I said nothing about Rio's capabilities as a city, nor did I say Rio was the "worst" organised Olympics - do not put words in my mouth.

And the question regardeding transport was clearly not directed at you. I'm not interested in your biased opinion.

In any case - my point stands that Rio is visibly the most behind compared to Beijing and London, which were by now many venues were functionally complete.

"Interesting...(1) what aspect of urban mobility? I study urban planning and am fascinated by South American transport systems - some of the most innovative in the world."

As for the venues - they do appear very behind. I'm not concerned that they can't be knocked together between now and mid 2016 - but more that they won't go through an appropriate level of testing before the big event. It seems like for many of them the Olympics will be the (2) first event entirely - not the best."

Runningrings,

(1)Last week it was said that about 5,2 million tickets had been sold - Brazil, only - for 2016. If you pick a map and look at the clusters and the scheduled competitions you will realize what makes me worry about. Competitions in different clusters at the same time will stress the transportation system to its limits for several days. It is not the ideal condition. Although major Paes decision on public schools and public services holidays during the Games, the system will have to attend the needs of the Games and those of the city and the metropolitan area. This is a dangerous risk. Improvements and expansion were planned for a normal standard use, not for an event of such a bigness.

(2) You are right. 2016 competitions will be the first event for almost all venues. In my post, I also mentioned communication infrastructure. 2014 FIFA WC final match - and this you can check with any journalist present there - Maracanã stadium run out of internet up to fifteen minutes before the broadcasting. Can you imagine such a thing in the Opening Ceremony? Of course, Fifa WC offered Rio the opportunity to learn, to get expertise both by following international standards and local mistakes. Let´s hope they will make the right choice now.

Great - more hot collared, defensive locals that turn a legitimate observation into some dramatic slander. I was referring to Rio's Olympic sports venues not being ready for thorough test events - I said nothing about Rio's capabilities as a city, nor did I say Rio was the "worst" organised Olympics - do not put words in my mouth.

And the question regardeding transport was clearly not directed at you. I'm not interested in your biased opinion.

In any case - my point stands that Rio is visibly the most behind compared to Beijing and London, which were by now many venues were functionally complete.

I'm sure this will not make the Olympics in Rio better or worst.
And I understood that the question of urban transport in Rio was made to ALL participants of this forum, this includes even me, then I will answer however ignorant you are

"Interesting...(1) what aspect of urban mobility? I study urban planning and am fascinated by South American transport systems - some of the most innovative in the world."

As for the venues - they do appear very behind. I'm not concerned that they can't be knocked together between now and mid 2016 - but more that they won't go through an appropriate level of testing before the big event. It seems like for many of them the Olympics will be the (2) first event entirely - not the best."

Runningrings,

(1)Last week it was said that about 5,2 million tickets had been sold - Brazil, only - for 2016. If you pick a map and look at the clusters and the scheduled competitions you will realize what makes me worry about. Competitions in different clusters at the same time will stress the transportation system to its limits for several days. It is not the ideal condition. Although major Paes decision on public schools and public services holidays during the Games, the system will have to attend the needs of the Games and those of the city and the metropolitan area. This is a dangerous risk. Improvements and expansion were planned for a normal standard use, not for an event of such a bigness.

Could it be assumed that temporary measures will be rolled out during the Olympic period - perhaps in the form of buses between clusters of venues and accom? Since the issues confronted by Atlanta there has been a bigger emphasis placed in Olympic transport planning on "special event" mobility and integration - I'd be surprised if Rio relied wholly on its stand alone commuter system for Olympic transport.

• Like 1

I'm sure this will not make the Olympics in Rio better or worst.

Completing venues with such a slither of time as a margin of error certainly isn't conducive to the best use of these complex facilities. Sure, things will *probably* be fine, but like anything in life, it is always ideal to practice and rehearsal, and be aware of any issues BEFORE and not during the critical event itself. Sometimes these issues are minor, functional problems which can be fixed without public knowledge, other times the outcomes of untested new venues can be terrible - just ask Vancouver.

And I understood that the question of urban transport in Rio was made to ALL participants of this forum, this includes even me, then I will answer however ignorant you are

I'm not sure if its a language barrier thing - but labelling someone 'ignorant' when they are asking a question (directly) to another person is redundant and rude. I'm not ignorant - as a Masters student of urban planning (with particular interest in transport) I was curious to know what Monteverde's perspective was - given that person raised it.

Indeed, test events are vital - Day 1 of the Olympic Games there will be 19 World Championships happening SIMULTANEOUSLY across Rio..... with only one chance to get EVERYTHING right. That includes IT, transport, facilities, crowds, officials, competition, conditions etc....

On Day 2 it happens all over again.

The thought of getting every detail right for every sport at every venue without a test event is playing with fire.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if its a language barrier thing - but labelling someone 'ignorant' when they are asking a question (directly) to another person is redundant and rude. I'm not ignorant - as a Masters student of urban planning (with particular interest in transport) I was curious to know what Monteverde's perspective was - given that person raised it.

Yes, you are ignorant. I do not know if you noticed but you are in an open forum to everyone. If you only want to know the opinion of Monteverde not wanting anyone to meddle in this matter I think you better talk in private. Have you heard about inbox or whatsapp? Its not a talk just between you and one user. Take care.