Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

Rio 2016 Olympic Park

Hopefully in legacy mode the back of house stuff and the huge car park and the ring road will be removed wholly or in part and the whole thing can be opened up to the waterfront better.

Creating more waterfront space isn't exactly a high priority for Rio. The Olympic park would be just off the upper right side of this image

237_1Barra_da_Tijuca.jpg

Well that's not hard to believe. It's pretty clear by the pics that they're on schedule to be complete for the games, and nothing else. This is what they should have looked like last year, not this year.

Just a general question: Why does Olympic venue construction in democratic countries always end up getting delayed? Surely, the IOC should have learnt from Athens 2004 by now!

Just a general question: Why does Olympic venue construction in democratic countries always end up getting delayed? Surely, the IOC should have learnt from Athens 2004 by now!

London 2012 dont have delays? Is that a part of the urbanism of the Olympic Park? Very innovative..

17333264912_a4ec50eb70_b.jpg

17335161555_ac4bc7770b_b.jpg

17335162125_78b1c8e9a2_b.jpg

16714898033_a4d5e67660_b.jpg

Well Sydney wasn't delayed- venues like the Main Stadium and Showground Precinct, built from scratch were completed more than a year early.

It's the way that the governments are structured. Here in Houston it's an inside joke that it takes about 10 years to get a plan for a building or city project to go through. That's not including the actual amount it takes to construct the building or project. There are so many departments and whatnot that projects need to get approval from, I wonder why some people even bother.

As for Rio, I think I read on here that dealing with their government is a nightmare and you have to go through three major bodies of government before anything gets done. But that's just what I read on here, nor sure how much truth is in that.

This is why places like Almaty and Beijing and even Russia can get things done (to an extent) because the people and local communities have little to no say on what happens on their land. But even they have their major delays.

London 2012 dont have delays? Is that a part of the urbanism of the Olympic Park? Very innovative..

17333264912_a4ec50eb70_b.jpg

17335161555_ac4bc7770b_b.jpg

17335162125_78b1c8e9a2_b.jpg

16714898033_a4d5e67660_b.jpg

London 2012 was in no way behind schedule - at least not compared to Athens or what Delhi faced in 2010. Those google images look like a city switching into the final gear of preparation. Did it occur to you that some of those minor works may have been scheduled to occur at that time?

• Like 1

London 2012 was in no way behind schedule - at least not compared to Athens or what Delhi faced in 2010. Those google images look like a city switching into the final gear of preparation. Did it occur to you that some of those minor works may have been scheduled to occur at that time?

Exactly. There were lots of last minute things scheduled near the end; putting up of signs, last minute planting so the flowers would be in bloom properly, temporary food and ticket stands being erected. Christ, all he's shown us in the third photo is a bit of tarpaulin and some barriers outside the stadium TWO MONTHS before the opening ceremony. Thank God there was a scramble to get THAT fixed?! :lol:

Runningrings is right. There were no construction delays on the London Olympics; certainly nothing newsworthy or to any extent worrying for organisers or the IOC. We had the geniuses at G4S not recruiting enough security staff and the army having to be drafted in, which was frankly a blessing in disguise, but still a cock up. But construction-wise everything was smooth. A few photos of very minor works two months before the opening ceremony don't prove otherwise.

Wasn't this the case with Vancouver and SLC and Sydney as well? And Japan's on schedule with its construction too as far as I know. So what's all this about developed democracies ALWAYS having delays? I don't see the pattern. Most Games aren't a last minute panic, it seems to me Athens and Dehli are exceptions which prove this rule.

Perhaps it is fairer to say the less developed democracies (those with a lower HDI/ GDP per capita) are more likely to struggle with preparations.

The highest developed democracies (in order of GDP per capita) Australia, Canada, US , japan, UK for example take preparations these days pretty much in their stride.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is fairer to say the less developed democracies (those with a lower HDI/ GDP per capita) are more likely to struggle with preparations.

The highest developed democracies (in order of GDP per capita) Australia, Canada, US , japan, UK for example take preparations these days pretty much in their stride.

Well, to be honest, I did phrase it in a rather imprecise manner - yes, that's how I was originally intending to bring it across, but completely failed to do so. Apologies for the confusion, and quite obviously no offence meant to the Australians, Brits or Brazilians on here...it was merely intended as a reminder that there might be some virtue in the IOC assuming a far more hands-on role in preparations for host cities which are noticeably lagging (that would have also helped in Delhi's case re: the 2010 Commonwealth Games).

It is officially nonsense to condemn Rio for the work that it has already completed. Everything will be finished and the Rio Games will eclipse quite a number of past Olympics.... that is for certain.

Stop overstating things. Rio seems to be semi-on-track to deliver a typical big summer games....with all the caos, waste, aftermath, and problems they bring. Have they delivered on all promises....no. is that normal.......probably. can things still go odd......yes. Will Rio be a big summer games that surpasses anything before.....no. It will be the newest/latest installment of summer games and that means something......it does not mean Rio has broken any molds...it means it's the most recent.......if anything it's facilities are not as spectacular as many in the past and it's organization continues to need to be defended. The stereotypical Rio locations looks good from afar. Don't look too close and don't ask too many question and it'll be hopefully spectacular. It'll also be fall 2016 soon, the games will move on and Rio will remain Rio. It's a big city in a big country that is trying to establish a more consistent big economy and solve a lot of continuing social problems......but there are problems and insecurities that will not go away because the continent is finally hosting an Olympic Games; in fact, after the games there might be more problems.

It is officially nonsense to condemn Rio for the work that it has already completed. Everything will be finished and the Rio Games will eclipse quite a number of past Olympics.... that is for certain.

How arrogant. You're still a year out, and your statement is categorically untrue. Work is still needed to be done- major venues are still to be completed - and whether you accept it or not, and whether they are ok schedule or not, they are not as advanced in construction as London, Beijing or Sydney were at a similar point (eg/ Sydney held test events across many new venues in 1999)

Nothing is certain until the last athlete has checked out of the Paralympic village.

• Like 2

Also there is no need to feel under attack or insecure because people are worried about getting everything finished- this tension and energy is needed to drive everything to completion.

The worst thing is for the media and everyone to relax and say everything will be alright....transparency and urgency are essential.

• Like 1

Also there is no need to feel under attack or insecure because people are worried about getting everything finished- this tension and energy is needed to drive everything to completion.

The worst thing is for the media and everyone to relax and say everything will be alright....transparency and urgency are essential.

On which topic- did we miss this story from a few days ago?

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:18am BST

Brazil Labour Ministry stops construction at two Rio 2016 venues

Brazil's Ministry for Labour said on Wednesday it stopped construction work at two venues being built for the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro next year due to health and safety concerns.

Construction at a tennis arena was stopped while work was partially suspended at the velodrome, the ministry said in a note, citing a "grave and imminent danger to the physical safety of workers."

The move comes as Rio races to complete projects with less than 500 days to go before the games.

The velodrome has been previously singled out as amongst the most delayed Olympic projects, although officials have recently stressed work was back on track.

The safety issue at the velodrome involved an access ramp being too steep, while at the tennis arena work was stopped due to missing guard rails, the ministry said.

RioUrbe, the body responsible for procuring and tendering the venues, said in a statement that the issues would be resolved by the end of the week and that the final delivery time of the projects would not be affected.

(Reporting by Rodrigo Viga Gaier, reporting by Stephen Eisenhammer; Editing by Bernard Orr)

TorchbearerSydney, CLEARLY your contribution towers above the others. Rio shall deliver. Simple. I sense in the two contributions preceding yours, a sort of "sinister expectancy" for things not to be quite as spectacular as they are shaping out to be in Rio. I think it is because though we are entitled to our interpretations of progress, some individuals are silently "crushed" that Rio can and IS doing it - progressing. From a design perspective, there is absolutely no need for spectacular designs to compete with the opulent natural majesty of the setting of the city. The design of the facilities must be emphasized in cities like London and Sydney and Beijing because, should you use your imagination and strip the man-made development away, you will have nothing but largely flat terrain. This is spectacularly NOT the case with Rio. From what I have seen, Rio intends to stun. And SHALL, quite literally, do so. It will not be a surprise IF after all is said and done, Rio is surpassed only by Beijing as one of the grandest Olympics of them all!

Please don't be shy to name the names of people you believe to be rooting for Rio's downfall. I'd be interested to know, given that this is an Olympic forum dedicated to the Games and I'm highly sceptical that anyone would have such a position, or at least to the melodramatic degree you depict it.

You need to realise that the entire world has an interest and a stake in each edition of the Games, therefore foreign media scrutiny of the host country is part of the deal. Russia copped it, the UK did also, as did Canada, China, Greece, Australia... et al. Brazil is not exempt from this right of passage.

Also your tendency to speak in floral absolute terms makes you come across and naive and ill informed. Eg "grandest Olympics of all" is just a silly thing to say.

• Like 2

TorchbearerSydney, CLEARLY your contribution towers above the others. Rio shall deliver. Simple. I sense in the two contributions preceding yours, a sort of "sinister expectancy" for things not to be quite as spectacular as they are shaping out to be in Rio. I think it is because though we are entitled to our interpretations of progress, some individuals are silently "crushed" that Rio can and IS doing it - progressing. From a design perspective, there is absolutely no need for spectacular designs to compete with the opulent natural majesty of the setting of the city. The design of the facilities must be emphasized in cities like London and Sydney and Beijing because, should you use your imagination and strip the man-made development away, you will have nothing but largely flat terrain.

You are being ridiculous.

Perhaps the "sinister expectancy" you see in others is actually a reflection of your own insecurities. Which might also explain the almost unintelligable writing style you've brought to this forum since your arrival.

Anyway....maybe some facts wouldn't go amiss.

Sydney has the majestic Sydney harbour which was a stunning setting for TV studios and broadcasters. And actually, it had very utilitarian venues by modern standards. No staritecht involvement and a lot of fairly simple designs. So not sure why you're including that city in your list.

London went with a mixture of opulant and the functional. The Aquatics Centre and Velodrome being examples of the former, the paired-down stadium, basketball arena and handball venue examples of the latter. Then again, London didn't need to prove anything either, less so make up for its lack of natural beauty (what a crazy suggestion)!

Beijing perhaps went furtherest in their attempts to show off. But I doubt if Beijing had a more spectacular geographical setting the Chinese government would've spent less in this regard. Everything was always going to be big in Beijing.

So we come to Rio. An Olympic Park very similar to London's in many ways - the same urban masterplanners are behind it afterall. A very similar mix of existing, new and temporary to us as well I think. I think they're being pretty sensible, doing what they need to do, and look to be back on track after a number of IOC members criticised their progress last year. I note they've surpassed London in sponsorship recently too (Pyeonchang is the one we really need to worry about in this regard). Still some question marks over things like water pollution, and a few venues, but highlighting these things isn't a sign of people being sinister.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

No. Everyone on Gamesbids manipulates absolute terms. "Sydney's ceremonies were the best!", "London's Culdron lighting could never be beaten", "Beijing's organization was like no other", "Vancouver's branding was unsurpassed". Neither you nor your immediate constellation of friends on this sight should feel exclusively entitled to use such terms. So says one, so say we all. All I have done, rather unconsciously, is to fling your behaviour right back at you. And you, dear friend, cannot stand it. It burns your skin like salt on a slug!

No. Everyone on Gamesbids manipulates absolute terms. "Sydney's ceremonies were the best!", "London's Culdron lighting could never be beaten", "Beijing's organization was like no other", "Vancouver's branding was unsurpassed". Neither you nor your immediate constellation of friends on this sight should feel exclusively entitled to use such terms. So says one, so say we all. All I have done, rather unconsciously, is to fling your behaviour right back at you. And you, dear friend, cannot stand it. It burns your skin like salt on a slug!

Here's the difference though, dear friends.. Those of us talking about Sydney and London and Beijing and Vancouver are doing so in the PAST tense. We are basing these opinions on what we already have seen and witnessed and taken in. You continue to make statements and predictions about Rio as if they are statements of fact and anyone who would dare to disagree with you is either wrong and/or rooting for Rio to be less than perfect. Not the first time we've seen someone make such an argument on these forums, so we know what it looks like. When you say "Rio intends to stun. And SHALL, quite literally, do so," that is a statement of opinion that not everyone shares. What if Rio doesn't stun. What if Rio doesn't delivers on these almost impossibly high expectations you're putting on them? It is not a given - as you like to say quite often - that everyone is going to feel about Rio AFTER the fact (that's the key here) the same way you do. And considering your feelings on Toronto's Pan Am Games, where you spoke so highly of them and then had your spirits crushed when you saw a slightly less than ideal torch design, it's not even a guarantee you'll continue on this high for Rio that the Olympics are still more than a year out.

Again, if you remain convinced about what the Rio Olympics are going to be and are unwavering in that line of thinking, far be it from any of us to tell you your opinion is wrong. But if you are presenting that opinion of a future event as a matter of fact that can't be questioned, that's where you've taken the argument a step too far and at the very least, you need to accept the concept that someone else might disagree with you and eventually be proven right. This whole "It is officially nonsense to condemn Rio" is the nonsense. It is not certain that Rio will eclipse quite a number of past Olympics. It never is.

• Like 1

Really, is that you think you've done? How clever of you, and to do it unconsciously too!

People can have opinions, and yes we sometimes get overly enthuisiastic posts on a number of topics. So what?

Your posting record does not give you the right to act as a moderator or throw what your paranoia perceives as "sinister expetancy" back at people, least of all people who've been posting and contributing to this site for years - people who WILL take time to post news items whether they're positive or negative.

You accused people with no evidence of wanting or expecting Rio to fail. If that's your starting point, I'm telling you now as politily as I can to **** off. If you want to discuss things like a member of this board rather than standing aloof and holding us all in judgement, then perhaps you should retract that and get on with posting normally.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Of course while remaining eloquently balanced on the upper balcony of respect (let that get under your skin if you care to), I urge you to desist from patting yourself on the back for 16,606 posts. Some members transcend what you *think* is a record by years, sometimes starting just 2 or 3 years shy of Gamebids' transformation from the Toronto Bid website . It may not be visible BUT it is so.

Rio SHALL prevail. In the same context that all supporters of every consecutive host city of the games have ever felt about their city during the games. You, nor those like you, do NOT retain any crumb of any right to denounce the support of those who believe Rio will be the best. It is official within their hearts, as it must have been at one time within yours about London, that RIO will be like no other. Clearly, from what we are seeing down there, there is little evidence to show otherwise.

Now, slingshotting to you, Quaker, I am not crushed by Toronto and never said so. You have, most tragically, generalised my epic disappointment in the TORCH design to the overall event - a clear flaw in your assessment. Moreover, you mold the most spectacular untruth by saying that some of your kind spoke superlatively about the Olympiads in the cities mentioned, AFTER the games. There are numberless instances in the histories of this thread which show otherwise. The point remains that those who believe Rio Shall be the BEST reserve the right to believe so and to express their belief as they see fit and appropriate without having to be attacked by YOUR insecurities that it just very well may be. If you fear your skin will burn because of such posts....kindly, if you will, feel free to ignore as I hereby resolved to do with anymore posts about this non-issue about the majesty and epic splendour which the Rio games will unfurl upon the earth.

I don't understand why anyone even bothers to entertain this clown ^

• Like 2

Sorry guys, but we have a concept of how to be the perfect Olympic Games? I do not think so. Each Olympiad has problems of his time. After all, every event takes place every four years, has no way to compare one event to the other. When each city chosen to host this event had their problems, peculiarities, differences. After all, the Olympics have to be perfect to whom? For the government with the profits? For the success of the IOC? For Athletes? For tourists? For those watching on TV? Or for own habitans of the city?

As a Brazilian I am suspect to speak, but I think so Rio will be not the best, but a awesome Olympiad. There is a major effort to change the city. Perhaps many here are uninformed about the revilatização and urbanism the Port of Rio de Janeiro, or the metro newline, the revival of shantytowns, the urbanization of squares and avenues and the basic saneamento the west of the city. Now that's the legacy that the government wants to leave Rio. The legacy to the city.

Is sure to be the most coments the internet and I'm sure that Twitter will fall during the ceremonies as well as dropped pending the outcome of the elections last year. And all of you will see headlines like "Olympics in Rio hits record posts on Facebook."