Rio 2016 Olympic Park

In all honesty, any doubt whatsoever which I had entertained about Brazilian taste, capacity or potential has been formally obliterated from existence in scrutinizing the Olympic development. The development is astounding, the vision is unequalled and it is just the most punishing thing to wait so long to see the final product!

• Like 2

In all honesty, any doubt whatsoever which I had entertained about Brazilian taste, capacity or potential has been formally obliterated from existence in scrutinizing the Olympic development. The development is astounding, the vision is unequalled and it is just the most punishing thing to wait so long to see the final product!

• 2 weeks later...

I genuinely like where Rio's preparations are going, and look forward to the finished product!

• Like 1

Great pics thanks, but these facilities really should be gearing up for test events now, not being built.....will be a mad rush to finish, but I am sure it will all get done and leave a great legacy for Rio and Brazil.

Tic, tic, tic....

Yes, I'll be keeping an eye out for updates to the Test Events calendar

The venues will no be 100% ready in the events tests. Some important man of the Comite Rio-2016 sayid that to LanceNet few time ago. I could not find this article, sorry guys.

Well that's not hard to believe. It's pretty clear by the pics that they're on schedule to be complete for the games, and nothing else. This is what they should have looked like last year, not this year.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is anybody else underwhelmed by the design of the venues? They look quite 80s and utilitarian. Even though London went for minimal - there were still strokes of architectural prowess in the design of the parklands and some of the venues. Eg/ Rio's pool with the white 80s super frame looks like an 80s English football stadium.

Also hope there are more trees and shade than the renders depict - seems a bit barren.

Is it just me or is anybody else underwhelmed by the design of the venues? They look quite 80s and utilitarian. Even though London went for minimal - there were still strokes of architectural prowess in the design of the parklands and some of the venues. Eg/ Rio's pool with the white 80s super frame looks like an 80s English football stadium.

Also hope there are more trees and shade than the renders depict - seems a bit barren.

- The design/architecture of the venues are really simple, in fact, because Brazil wanna save money.
- The nature, mountains and beaches in Rio are awesome. this is not like Beijing or London, huge cities just with a lot of buildings (I love the architecture of London and Beijing, I hope its not sound offensive). So we don't need expensive venues to address of the old host cities. It would be a extravagance
- Mostly of the venues are temporary. Would be difficult and more expensive built with a better desing, think mostly of this venues will be transformed in a school.
- Rio now is building good example of contemporary architecture. For example:

Museum of Tomorrow (Museu do Amanha) - Port of Rio de Janeiro

museudoamanha.jpg

11053679_951806978244821_444591949587168

Image and Sound Museum (MIS - Museu de Imagem e Som) - Copacabana Beach

mis-rj-diller-scofidio-02.jpg

7dTXoVy.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tactile model of Barra Olympic Park, heart of the Rio 2016 Games, designed for visually impaired

02_maquete_parque_olimpico.jpg
The 1.3m² model of the under-construction Barra Olympic Park represents a real-life area of 1.18 million m² (Photo: EOM)

Barra Olympic Park, the heart of the Rio 2016 Games, can now be seen – and touched – in miniature form. A scale module of the site that will feature nine sports venues, as well as the International Broadcast Centre and Main Press Centre, was unveiled on Monday (27 April) as part of the 500 days to the Paralympic Games celebrations. Fittingly, it is tactile in order to allow people with a visual impairment to appreciate the scale and complexity of the park.

“Thanks to this model, which is a faithful and realistic representation, the public will be able to get to know the Olympic Park,” said Joaquim Monteiro, president of the Municipal Olympic Company. “It is designed for kids, adults, for everyone, including visually impaired people. They will be able to perceive everything: the venues, the streets, Via Olímpica (the main thoroughfare), the lagoon, the vegetation…”

The model was unveiled by Rio city mayor Eduardo Paes at the Benjamin Constant Institute, a highly respected school for visually impaired people in the city. It will be open to the public in this location for one month and during the Games it will be displayed in the Olympic Park itself.

710_-_06_maquete_parque_olimpico_centro_

The model of the Olympic Tennis Centre can be identified by blind people thanks to the Braille sign (Photo: EOM)

The 1.3m² model represents a real-life area of 1.18 million m² – equal to 165 football pitches. The base is made of wood and fibreboard, while the buildings and other elements were created using a variety of materials, such as PVC sheets, acrylic, wood, beads, tiny plastic balls and sand, all finished off with paint and varnish. There are 250 buses and 800 cars spread around the model and visually impaired people can identify the different venues thanks to Braille signs.

The man behind the model is 60-year-old architect Flávio Papi, who has worked in scale modelling since his 20s, and spent two months working on the miniature Olympic Park. “An architectural model is normally very delicate, but this one needs to be more resistant, since it will be touched all the time,” he said. “Some elements were not included, such as people or lamp-posts, as they would be quite pointed and could have hurt people.”

Papi was assisted by Marcos Lima, a visually impaired employee of the Rio 2016 Organising Committee, who works in the Paralympic Integration department. “I love these kinds of miniature models as they help me see the word,” he said. “This model is changing the way I see the Olympic Park, as it will for other people. It will be available for all the National Olympic and Paralympic Committees that visit the Park during its construction, and for everyone who visits the park during the Games.”

http://www.rio2016.org/en/news/news/tactile-model-of-barra-olympic-park-heart-of-the-rio-2016-games-designed-for-visually-impa

• Like 3

I think the whole design is for the visually impaired- the venues look great but the urban design, that seems to turn its bcak the water, including a huge waterfront car park, is a mess.

Seems to follow the model of recent Olympic Parks - big walkway in the middle, then going out you have the venues, further out the back of house facilities, and a ring road around the edge for transportation between the back of house facilities. It's an efficient, proven and secure model for Games-time.

Hopefully in legacy mode the back of house stuff and the huge car park and the ring road will be removed wholly or in part and the whole thing can be opened up to the waterfront better.

From what's been reported this lagoon and water systems surrounding the "park" are dirty and may not be that desirable as open beachfront until a major cleanup and sewage strategy is built anyway.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/01/brazil-ngo-declines-contract-to-clean-up-dirty/

"Planned cleanup work on another blighted Olympic waterway also remains stalled. Officials have recently said there's no telling when the dredging of the sewage- and trash-filled Jacarepagua Lagoon System, which hugs the site of the Olympic Park, might finally get started. The project has been approved and its funds earmarked, but it's mired in a legal imbroglio."

...also from the article:

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Rio de Janeiro's pledge to clean up the blighted waters where the 2016 Olympic sailing events are to be held has suffered another setback: A prominent Brazilian sailing and environmental organization declined a city contract to help clean up sewage- and trash-filled Guanabara Bay.

The Instituto Rumo Nautico said in a statement posted on the website of its co-founder, former Olympic sailor Lars Grael, that the organization's board unanimously rejected the offer at a meeting on Monday.

Under the terms of the project, the state government would have given the NGO $6.3 million to help remove garbage from the competition areas using so-called eco-boats that scoop out floating trash as well as barriers meant to prevent floating trash from reaching the bay. Normally a bidding process is required for such contracts, but this deal would have dispensed of that.

The statement on Grael's site said accepting such a contract presented "institutional risks."

A separate statement from the state environmental authority quotes Environment Secretary Andre Correa as saying he laments the decision.

"The priority now is to create an emergency plan" to clean up the area where the Olympic sailing events will be held ahead of a test event there this August, the statement said.

• Like 1