gotosy

Rio 2016 Olympic Park

Rio Olympic Park!

with velodrome.

lol that would be hilarious and almost accurate. I'm of course talking about the circular venue that is very close to the coast. Maybe that is the velodrome, but that's just an old pic lol

It's not a venue. It's a fan zone area. Nothing substantial is being built there. Probably all they need to do is grass it over and set up a quick temporary stage and sound system.

Edited by Rob.

AWESOME OLYMPIC PARK!

dhani-b_7722.jpg

dhani-b_1639.jpg

dhani-b_1638.jpg

dhani-b_1573.jpg

dhani-b_1563.jpg

dhani-b_1560.jpg

dhani-b_1051.jpg

dhani-b_0978.jpg

h9EJvw.png

PYpqMH.png

CxSeGC.jpg

Source: RioMais

In my opnion this Olympic Park is really better than London and Beijing ^_^

is that coz you are Barzilian? lol! Looking better than it did - should be a great games!

It's actually remarkably similar to London's, which shouldn't be surprising since the same urban master-planners designed both.

And like London's, the planting really stands out when you see photos at ground level, but from above all you can see are small patches of green around the huge central concourse.

Is there a photo of what the area looked like before any construction started? Like before Rio even won the right to host the games? Or even before the beginning of the bidding process?

Is there a photo of what the area looked like before any construction started? Like before Rio even won the right to host the games? Or even before the beginning of the bidding process?

It was a racing circuit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aut%C3%B3dromo_Internacional_Nelson_Piquet

imagem-aerea-2.jpg

Edited by Rob.

It's actually remarkably similar to London's, which shouldn't be surprising since the same urban master-planners designed both.

And like London's, the planting really stands out when you see photos at ground level, but from above all you can see are small patches of green around the huge central concourse.

is that coz you are Barzilian? lol! Looking better than it did - should be a great games!

I just think the Olympic Park Rio is better than London and Beijing because that's my opinion. It is an Olympic park lively, wrapped nature and has harmony with the city.The venues are simple and beautiful, unlike the crazy architecture of the arenas in London and Beijing.

So on top of stripping all of the greenery in that area, they also evicted all those residents that live on the coast? wonderful! lol

And eww that water looks repulsive.

I just think the Olympic Park Rio is better than London and Beijing because that's my opinion. It is an Olympic park lively, wrapped nature and has harmony with the city.The venues are simple and beautiful, unlike the crazy architecture of the arenas in London and Beijing.

The venues are certainly simple, but far from beautiful. Don't criticize London and Beijing's creative architecture designs just because your boring, unimaginative and overpriced venues are going to rust to nothing after the games.

To be honest i remember seeing the pics before of the old Rio race circuit and thinking it's pretty run down.....but now seeing it compared to the Olympic Park it looks green and beautiful vs the giant shed/venues and cement.

To be honest i remember seeing the pics before of the old Rio race circuit and thinking it's pretty run down.....but now seeing it compared to the Olympic Park it looks green and beautiful vs the giant shed/venues and cement.

I agree.

McDonald's confirm no restaurant at Rio 2016 Main Press Centre

Global fast food chain McDonald’s will not have a restaurant in the Main Press Centre (MPC) at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, the company has confirmed.

The American corporation, which became an Olympic sponsor for the Montréal Games in 1976 before joining on with The Olympic Partner (TOP) programme, usually cater for the press and media.

They had a presence at the MPC at the London 2012 Games and the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

But the company has revealed that, while it will have a restaurant in the International Zone of the Olympic Village, there will be no McDonald’s in the MPC.

Journalists and other media will be catered for by a restaurant as well as a bar area, which will serve food when the restaurant is closed.

“McDonald’s will be at the Olympics as we have been for the past 40 years,” a spokesperson for McDonald’s said in a statement.

“We’re excited to build a restaurant in the International Zone of the Olympic Village, which is a central location open to athletes, their friends and family, and members of the media.

“We consider many factors when deciding where we will build restaurants, such as size and layout of the venues.

“We have 33 McDonald’s restaurants in Rio where Olympic events will take place and more than 100 restaurants in the Rio metropolitan area, which will welcome visitors from around the world as they travel from venue to venue.

The McDonald’s at the Olympic Village will serve all of the usual classics as well as local Brazilian favourites like Pão de Queijo and the egg, cheese and bacon sandwich made to order with fresh cracked eggs.

They will also have a Dessert Centre at the Barra Olympic Park, which will provide local flavoured McFlurrys.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1035655/mcdonalds-confirm-no-restaurant-at-rio-2016-main-press-centre

Rio cancels cycling test event; venue to be ready for games

Rio de Janeiro Olympic organizers have called off a test event for track cycling because the wooden track has not been installed in the new velodrome.

The test event was scheduled for April 30-May 1.

Rio spokesman Mario Andrada says he is "120 percent" sure the venue will be ready for the Olympics. The games open on Aug. 5, and track cycling is scheduled for Aug. 11-16.

Andrada says the velodrome will be "fully ready" by May 31, and he says a small training event will take place there over June 25-27.

Despite countless problems plaguing South America's first Olympics, Rio organizers have been largely successful completing venue construction. The velodrome has been the most problematic. Construction has repeatedly been delayed. The test event was initially scheduled for mid-March.

AP