Rio 2016 Olympic Park

Its such a shame in the original visuals it looked incredible. When I think of Rio I think sea, sky and lush green vegetation. It meeds loads more greenery to soften it.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday- there's way less greenery than on the 2014 renders. It's still just possible they could remove some of the paving and import nursery-grown trees, but they're leaving it awfully late, so what's their plan to make it look less desolate with five weeks to go? Zillions of banners?

Athens olympic park also lacked lots of green back in the day as a result of all the delays they had to endure. Pretty much what is happening right now at Rio.

oakaworks36.jpg

It's ironic that Beijing, with all its pollution, had a greener olympic park than Athens and Rio combined

beijing-olympic-park-2.jpg

15151515f7855bcd-6.jpg

I have been commenting about the lack of greenery for about 18 months...and the answer has always been, the green will come in late and grow quickly....

It never came :wacko:

But the Sydney park had relatively little space of any sort. The Rio park has huge areas of flat paving, both around the central walkway and on the western side of the promontory.

....but in Athens they has stunningly beautiful architecture that was modern and clean with design merit waaaaaaaaay beyond anything Rio was ever capable of. That modernist aesthetic worked beautifully with their park. The beautiful blue sky, elegant but muscular white structures, and clean well laid out venues made for one of the most memorable and architecturally significant Olympic parks on record.

Also in Athens there was a proper Athletics Stadium IN the park and several incredible non-venue structures, decorative pools, significant promenades, etc etc.

Rio is a straight up not in the same league.

...speaking of trees.

Olympic legacy promise to plant 24 million trees

One of the most notable promises of the Rio 2016 Olympics bid was to plant 24 million trees, intended to offset the carbon emissions related to the Games. In September 2014, State Environment Secretary Carlos Minc increased this number to 34 million trees to be planted by the end of 2015 in addition to creating 5,000 jobs in the green agricultural sector and opening tree nurseries across the state. They established a tree counter, which in 2014 indicated that 5 million trees had been planted, but the link no longer exists.

..that is from this larger article that discusses the hundreds of trees removed from the Vila Autodromo neighborhood that once stood next door to the barren park.

The Fallen Trees of Vila Autódromo: Rio Topples Olympics Environmental Legacy

Edited by paul

That Sydney photo is very misleading, and tightly cropped. Sydney Olympic Park/ Bicentennial Park is hundreds and hundreds of acres, stretching many kms down the river. The built up part would only be 10 percent of the parkland site.

In fact they have been building a lot more to consolidate the site, so it is not like the wilderness.

The Sydney "green" games wasn't about making the area look green it was about conservation methods that diminish the carbon footprint and the amount of wasted natural resources for the games. Certainly wasn't primarily about landscape.

Why not? It worked perfectly in Sochi:

30_b13d0_228fd862_XL.jpg

If I remember correctly that wasn't paint that was some sort of fertilizer that would help increase the speed at which the grass would grow. I've seen it used here in Houston numerous times during construction. So I'm sure Rio's is the same thing.

In fact the Olympic Park is horrible compared to the project. It's so gray , messy , the very ' mall park ' is ridiculous . I hope you have a lot of green and color until August. But expectations are not good. The flags and the decor will not give account to take the look of the games if there are no plants and colors.

If I remember correctly that wasn't paint that was some sort of fertilizer that would help increase the speed at which the grass would grow. I've seen it used here in Houston numerous times during construction. So I'm sure Rio's is the same thing.

It was a bit of both- fertilizer with a green dye, commonly used to perk up grass which is looking a bit feeble. Spraying it on bare soil in January (typical maximum temperature in Sochi 9 degrees Celsius) was beyond optimistic.

No much more was planned (I don't think) in terms of green stuff. But that little more would have been nice.

This whole Brazilllian project is feeling so ill-timed, so many promises unkempt, so much bragging for years for this. You got your games I guess.

article-0-15128F96000005DC-918_970x631.j

....now DANCE for us.

No much more was planned (I don't think) in terms of green stuff. But that little more would have been nice.

This whole Brazilllian project is feeling so ill-timed, so many promises unkempt, so much bragging for years for this. You got your games I guess.

article-0-15128F96000005DC-918_970x631.j

....now DANCE for us.

The most notable loss compared with that model is the large patches of greenery near the entrance (but also other tree planting areas seem to be significantly reduced, particularly in terms of larger trees). The whole long strip on the northern edge adjoining the highway looks as if it could benefit from a bit of tumbleweed at the moment.