Rio 2016 Olympic Park

i think there is little comment on Rio because their boosters are so defensive whenever anyone say anything except the most overblown superlatives like.....

"Rio will devastate with it's unparalleled achievement and scrudiddlyumtiouslyfantastical everything!" That's the only kind of comment that seems to please here. It's too bad cuz it's sorta killed any dialog to this point about the park, structures, progress etc.

Anyway...they’re gonna do their thing and the games will go off, they fight like girls when anyone questions plans, progress or delivery, then when their organizing committee admits delay, cancels venues, changed plans, or warn they won’t deliver on promises, there is a collective “hey that’s Brazil, it’s our way of doing things”….with a simelyface.

whateva.

Anyway...they’re gonna do their thing and the games will go off, they fight like girls when anyone questions plans, progress or delivery, then when their organizing committee admits delay, cancels venues, changed plans, or warn they won’t deliver on promises, there is a collective “hey that’s Brazil, it’s our way of doing things”….with a simelyface.

whateva.

I remember watching a segment on I think 60 minutes about the progress in building the infrastructure for the games and the guy they were talking to, cannot remember his name, pretty much said the exact same thing. It's Brazil, we're lazy and laidback lol. After watching that segment it made me more unsure of Rio as a host city. And with the news that the waters are too contaminated near Rio to host the water events such as sailing and open swimming, this close to the games, yea this looks badly on Rio. Everything may go off without a hitch, but it doesn't negate that they didn't deliver promises they made in 2009, and they failed to deliver the compact games they promised the voting delegation.

• Like 1

At this point, we should all be used to the fear mongering yellow journalism that abounds for every Olympics due to the media needing clickbait. I think that was highlighted nowhere more than in Sochi where NBC tried to say that as soon as you connected to the internet in Russia, hackers were having their way with you. It turns out that they just had a reporter type in Sochi, go to sketch unofficial websites and open attachments, and shocker, he got viruses... just like you would doing that anywhere in America.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/06/nbc-hacking-sochi-dispute/

I went to London amid reports of the impending transit apocalypse, to find that it was actually better than any other time I'd been in London (as so many locals got scared away.

I went to Sochi amid reports of "probable" attacks and that the water was brown. 100% fine (I didn't drink the water, but I wouldn't have anyways. It ran clear). Literally everyone I talked to in Sochi had a great time, and the Canadians I talked to universally preferred the Sochi games to Vancouver (the hockey double gold probably didn't hurt).

I went to the last World Cup amid reports that there was no way that Brazil would deliver and protests and crime would take it over. It went fine.

The media enjoys having something to write about, and the half built stadium pictures always drive panic, but the overall infrastructure is going to be fine. From a spectator standpoint, the only real worry is that the metro line 4 won't complete. Is the water going to be terrifying and will sailboats have to avoid dead dogs in the bay and marathon swimmers suffer serious health issues? Yeah, but we kind of knew that was going to happen.

• Like 1

At this point, we should all be used to the fear mongering yellow journalism that abounds for every Olympics due to the media needing clickbait. I think that was highlighted nowhere more than in Sochi where NBC tried to say that as soon as you connected to the internet in Russia, hackers were having their way with you. It turns out that they just had a reporter type in Sochi, go to sketch unofficial websites and open attachments, and shocker, he got viruses... just like you would doing that anywhere in America.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/06/nbc-hacking-sochi-dispute/

I went to London amid reports of the impending transit apocalypse, to find that it was actually better than any other time I'd been in London (as so many locals got scared away.

I went to Sochi amid reports of "probable" attacks and that the water was brown. 100% fine (I didn't drink the water, but I wouldn't have anyways. It ran clear). Literally everyone I talked to in Sochi had a great time, and the Canadians I talked to universally preferred the Sochi games to Vancouver (the hockey double gold probably didn't hurt).

I went to the last World Cup amid reports that there was no way that Brazil would deliver and protests and crime would take it over. It went fine.

The media enjoys having something to write about, and the half built stadium pictures always drive panic, but the overall infrastructure is going to be fine. From a spectator standpoint, the only real worry is that the metro line 4 won't complete. Is the water going to be terrifying and will sailboats have to avoid dead dogs in the bay and marathon swimmers suffer serious health issues? Yeah, but we kind of knew that was going to happen.

I stil remember how there were countless of articles related to Sydney saying - "You can be attacked by a shark" or "A spider can kill you in the corner". People were believing these reports and creating this social hysteria. Equal happened to Guadalajara saying "Narcotraffic was on the doors of the city" or declaring South Africa on the edge of civil war for the World Cup.

Not saying there are worrisome aspects to relate in many hosts (I don't deny that), but some of these reports came with yellow journalism because that sells news. Instead making a proper balance between good and bad, the news reports tend to grow the worse as an unquestionable truth.

Somehow I had an idea of the next news for Tokyo...

• Like 1

Hold on. The IOC President himself has said in the past week the water quality could be an issue if the organisers don't act. Not saying there aren't silly stories from time to time about host cities but this sure ain't one.

Edited by Rob.

Hold on. The IOC President himself has said in the past week the water quality could be an issue if the organisers don't act. Not saying there aren't silly stories from time to time about host cities but this sure ain't one.

Water quality is an issue that continues to bubble up. It really needs to be cleaned up and sorted!

If English tabloids keeping going to North Guanabara Bay to take pictures and say: this is the place sailing competition will take place, yes, that's bad media.

The Guardian just did that and presented a study from a very unknown Brazilian university with no methodology to prove their point.

Bad media. Period.

This said, Rio OCOG already admitted the bay sewage treatment will reach 80% by 2016 and ecobarriers and other costy short-period solutions will be used to guarantee fair water conditions during the games.

What Brazilian media say is: the games might be okay and there won't be any legacy on finally cleaning the bay.

That's the fact.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I'm amazed with the campaing of Paul using arguments like "Brazilians are blind defensive who thinks Rio games will be the most fantastic with those ugly venues"... At the same time I could claim "Paul is a blind troll who refuses to listen locals opinions or refuses to keep a discussion without attacking the other side"...

At no point I said the venues of Rio are fantastic, the most modern ever... Simply, because it is not. There are some interesting venues, a nice Olympic Village, but they are not amazing as the ones we saw in Beijing. And I couldn't care less. Since the venues be nice during the games, that's fine. Why build dozens of archtectural marvelous? To be smashed by Int'l media about white elephants just like in the World Cup and after?

It seems it's a lose-lose situation to Brazil... Somehow, we are getting using to this bad will, actually.

About the water (again). I would love to know how many times Paul came to Rio and swam in Rio beaches or saw Guaranaba Bay, crossed the Rio-Niterói bridge or used the ferry to go from Praça Mauá to Charitas...

Probably the answer will be: never.

I'm not refusing the fact Guanabara Bay is dead in the North section and sometimes polluted in the entrance. You guys love to get the whole Guanabara Bay and say it's a **** place because some media outlet went to Magé (in the far north bay) and take a picture of dead fish and couchs floating in the water (which is disgusting and a shame for us cariocas)...

Magé is 35km far in straight line from the sailing venue. It's like go to southern part of Staten Island and say: "This is Central Park" or (for English citizens around) go to Brentwood in Essex and say: "Here we have the Big Ben".

It's not accurate.

Yes, Rio lost a great chance to clean its waters and there will be complaints and criticism from whoever wants to complain... From irrelevant Paul to IOC President.

Somehow, after all the things I read and the bad media coming, I'm in favour to move the sailing event to Buzios, in Northeastern Coast of Rio state. It's a marvelous place that deserves international attention and probably will shut up the mouths of people that wants to have "argumentative discussions" but seems more that they are willing to troll a Olympic City they are not fans of.

And we are discussing water in Olympic Park thread... gosh...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

IOC praises teamwork behind ‘excellent’ Rio 2016 test events and Olympic Games preparations
9thcocom_alexandreloureiro_10082015-3857
Rio 2016 President Carlos Nuzman (L) with Nawal El Moutawakel © and Christophe Dubi ® of the IOC at the Olympic Golf Course (Photo: Rio 2016/Alexandre Loureiro)

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has praised the Rio 2016 Organising Committee and its government partners for their teamwork in delivering the first test events, which are showing their “capacity to deliver outstanding Olympic Games next year”. As the ninth and penultimate IOC Coordination Commission (CoCom) meeting came to an end in Rio, the governing body of the Olympic Movement also said the unity showed by the Games organisers was laying the foundations for an important Olympic legacy in the city.

CoCom Chair Nawal El Moutawakel said: “We have been delighted with the unity of spirit and mission that is driving ‘Team Brazil’ to deliver a successful first wave of test events. We have already seen excellent volleyball, triathlon, rowing and equestrian events, with more exciting sport to come over the next few weeks.”

El Moutawakel, the 400m hurdles champion at the Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games, pointed out that International Sports Federations and athletes had been full of praise for the test events staged so far, adding: “This demonstrates the organisers’ capacity to deliver outstanding Olympic Games next year.”

The Moroccan repeated the assertion of IOC President Thomas Bach last week that Rio would enjoy the biggest Olympic legacy since Barcelona in 1992. “Work to deliver important infrastructure and social legacies like the venues, public transport improvements, and educational initiatives continues at full speed,” said El Moutawakel. “I believe that people will speak of a Rio and a Brazil before the Games and a Rio and a Brazil after the Games.”

nawal_selfi_inside.jpg

Nawal El Moutawakel takes a selfie inside the Olympic Aquatics Stadium (Photo: Rio 2016/Alexandre Loureiro)

The Coordination spent three days being updated on Games preparations by Rio 2016 and its partners in the federal, state and city governments, as well as visiting competition sites around the city. The IOC noted the “significant progress” made at Barra Olympic Park and the Olympic Golf Course since their last visit in February and the sporting legacy that these venues will leave.

El Moutawakel stressed that “a tremendous amount of work remains to be completed” but said it was clear that, due to the test events, organisers had undergone a shift of mindset with the principal focus now on “how to deliver the most memorable, joyful experience for all participants”.

In the press conference at the end of the meetings, El Moutawakel was asked about the quality of water at Olympic venues, and responded with confidence. “The IOC gives the highest priority to the health of athletes and our friends at this table are doing their upmost to ensure that the issue of water quality is dealt with so that the athletes can compete in a safe environment.”

Christophe Dubi, the IOC Executive Director of Olympic Games, responded to a question regarding the recent case involving members of the US rowing team who fell ill after the test event at Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, saying: “We have to rely on the declarations from USA Rowing, which clarified the matter and said there was no evidence that it was connected to the water, they were very clear on that. Then FISA, the International Rowing Federation, declared that if they compared the number of cases to any of their other events, the number of athletes being sick is about the same. So it seems to be a normal situation.”

All levels of government were represented during the CoCom meetings, with state governor Luiz Fernando Pezão and city mayor Eduardo Paes personally underlining their commitment to the success of the Games. The Brazilian Olympic Committee shared its plans to prepare a competitive home team and extend the elite sporting legacy of the Games to future editions.

Rio 2016 President Carlos Arthur Nuzman said: “This was the most important Coordination Commission that we have had so far. I say this because of the advanced state of our preparations and the ever increasing integration between the IOC, Rio 2016 and our partners in the federal, state and city governments.”

9thcocom_alexandreloureiro_10082015-3581

Rio 2016 President Carlos Nuzman (L) at the Future Arena, which will host handball and goalball during the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, and then be dismounted and used to construct four public schools (Photo: Rio 2016/Alexndre Loureiro)

http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/news/ioc-praises-teamwork-behind-excellent-rio-2016-test-events-and-olympic-games-preparations

• Like 1