Rio 2016 Olympic Park

is there rampant corruption going on within the faction of the federal government that is organizign it?

I just had a question, I know the supreme court legalized Civil Unions to some extent, but does that mean that same-sex couples can get Civil Unions through the government now? Or is that still in the process of being set up. I know that same-sex couples are now entitled to the same rights as married couples in the ruling. I'm just wondering if couples and go to the government office and get a certificate now just like married couples do for a marriage license. Any help would be greatly provided.

Kyle

is there rampant corruption going on within the faction of the federal government that is organizign it?

I just had a question, I know the supreme court legalized Civil Unions to some extent, but does that mean that same-sex couples can get Civil Unions through the government now? Or is that still in the process of being set up. I know that same-sex couples are now entitled to the same rights as married couples in the ruling. I'm just wondering if couples and go to the government office and get a certificate now just like married couples do for a marriage license. Any help would be greatly provided.

Kyle

Oops... That was supposed to be a Private Message for you Danny, sorry! I don't think I can even send you a message privately though haha.

Oops... That was supposed to be a Private Message for you Danny, sorry! I don't think I can even send you a message privately though haha.

Don't worry, I don't have the answer!!! I will check the internet and send you the answer back.

About World Cup, beareaucracy is playing a major role in delays. When I said CBF is corrupt is because their president, an idiot called Ricado Teixeira. He is the president of the LOC but he is doing nothing usefull for the World Cup. Simply waiting seated for an amazing World Cup made by the Federal Govt.

My biggest fear about World Cup is airports and urban mobility. The rest seems to be nice and will work smoothly.

Don't worry, I don't have the answer!!! I will check the internet and send you the answer back.

About World Cup, beareaucracy is playing a major role in delays. When I said CBF is corrupt is because their president, an idiot called Ricado Teixeira. He is the president of the LOC but he is doing nothing usefull for the World Cup. Simply waiting seated for an amazing World Cup made by the Federal Govt.

My biggest fear about World Cup is airports and urban mobility. The rest seems to be nice and will work smoothly.

Oh dear bureaucracy is never any fun! Here's hoping the red tape is cleared up because three years isn't that far off really. Here's hoping they can get their heads out of their behinds and get it together. Admittedly of course I won't be following world cup as much because Canada has only ever qualified for the World Cup once (in 1986 and scored ZERO goals :blink: ) but I hope its good because there is much riding on the line for Brazil with the Olympics only two years later!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ceremony marks the commencement of construction works of the Rio 2016™ Olympic Park

A ceremony this Friday, July 6, marked the start of construction works of the Rio 2016™ Olympic Park, which encompasses much of the Olympic and Paralympic competitions in the Games in the neighborhood of Barra da Tijuca. The ceremony was attended by the President of the Rio 2016™ Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, and the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, Eduardo Paes, among other authorities.

The Olympic Park installations will take up an area of 1.18 million square meters. Competitions of 14 Olympic sports and disciplines will be staged there (Basketball, Judo, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Handball, Tennis, Cycling, Diving, Water Polo, Swimming, Synchronized Swimming, Artistic Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics and Trampoline Gymnastics) and nine Paralympic sports and disciplines (Wheelchair Basketball, Wheelchair Rugby, Bocce, Judo, Sitting Volleyball, Goalball, Wheelchair Tennis, Cycling and Swimming).

“Today is a historical day for Brazilian sport. The Olympic Park is the heart of the Games, and after 2016 it will leave as a legacy the first Olympic Training Camp in South America”, comments Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the President of the Rio 2016™ Olympic and Paralympic Committee.

For the next 15 years, the area’s infrastructure and maintenance works will be managed by the Rio Mais Consortium, formed by construction companies Norberto Odebrecht, Andrade Gutierrez and Carvalho Hosken, winner of the Public-Private Partnership (PPP); the bid was conducted by Rio de Janeiro Municipal Authority last March.

Deactivation of the Race Track

The Olympic Park’s construction works will begin in parallel to the progressive deactivation of the Jacarepaguá Race Track, expected to end in the last quarter of 2012. The Race Track’s demolition will start by the uncovered grandstand area, and will not interfere in the 2012 car race calendar.

The progressive deactivation of the Race Track is aligned with the construction chronogram of the Olympic Park, which was commonly agreed between the Brazilian Auto Racing Confederation (CBA), Rio de Janeiro Municipal Government and the Rio Mais Consortium. New auto racing venues will be built by the State government in Deodoro region.

The PPP that allowed the local infrastructure also guarantees the construction of a 400-room hotel, the Main Press Centre and three pavilions which will host the future Training Olympic Centre (COT) for high-performance athletes.

Rio de Janeiro Municipal Government will also be responsible for the Olympic Park construction through federal funds. This equipment is not contemplated within the PPP’s and the Federal Government’s scope, such as the Aquatic Park, the Tennis Centre, and the International Broadcasting Centre (IBC), among others.

Environmental Preservation

Environmental preservation is one of the principles that govern the construction works of the Olympic Park, in which 100% of the waste will be reused. The emphasis on the environment has been thought through since the elaboration of the international competition which selected the Master Plan, held in August 2011.

In addition to defining public space areas (streets, open spaces, accesses, etc) in both Games and legacy modes, the winning urban proposal of England’s Aecom foresees the transition between these two scenarios.

The project contemplates the ecologic recovery of the lagoon located in the area’s surroundings, accessibility, use of sustainable technological innovations and security. The Olympic Park’s infrastructure will have a water treatment system through natural filtration of water drainage, landscaping, lighting and paving roads.

pedra_fundamental.jpg

Foundation Stone of the Olympic Park Rio 2016

RIO2016

• 2 months later...

Roll on Rio: Stunning plans unveiled for Olympic Park which will host 15 sports in 34 venues at beautiful waterfront location

Stretching out into the still blue lagoon waters, set against a backdrop of rugged mountains, these are the spectacular first images of how Rio de Janeiro's Olympic park will look in 2016.

Designs for the complex in the Barra da Tijuca neighbourhood of the city have been revealed by the architects that won the contract to mastermind the project in London.

The waterfront park will be built on the former Brazilian grand prix track in a striking triangular layout spread over 300 acres

It will play host to 15 Olympic sports including swimming and hockey and a further 11 Paralympic competitions in 34 venues on the site, 18 of which are already operating.

It will also house a media centre to accommodate 20,000 journalists and the Olympic and Paralympic villages are also located in the Barra zone

Unlike the London Games, the main Olympic stadium is not at the park - athletes will use the famous Brazil football stadium, the Maracana, which will also be the site of the opening and closing ceremonies as well as the Joco Havelange Stadium - home to the club side Botafogo.

Building work is well underway with the project said to be more straightforward than London because several venues are already on the site due to its former role in hosting the Pan American Games.

article-0-15128F7D000005DC-453_968x650.jpg

Visionary: Bill Hanway, 51, who headed up International Architects Studio Aecom's bid to win the design contract, looks over the plan. Building work underway with the project said to be more straightforward than London because several venues are already on the site due to its former role in hosting the Pan American Games

article-0-15128521000005DC-682_976x327.jpg

Flowing design: Cutting through the centre of the park is the Olympic Way which reflects the design of pavements across Brazil which show the merging of the darker waters of the Rio (river) Negro and the lighter waters of the Rio Solomons in the Amazon

article-0-15128515000005DC-74_968x645.jpg

Big project: Mr Hanway looks over his designs. Unlike the London Games, the main Olympic stadium is not at the park - athletes will use the famous Brazil football stadium, the Maracana, which will also be the site of the opening and closing ceremonies as well as the Joco Havelange Stadium - home to the club side Botafogo

International Architects Studio Aecom, based in Holborn, London, were also responsible for designing London's much-heralded Olympic park in Stratford.

Bill Hanway, 51, who led Aecom's Rio bid to win the contract said: 'It is very exciting. It will show off the best of Brazilian architecture in a magnificent setting.

'This is the first Olympics in South America and Rio is the most beautiful city in the world and we have tried to reflect the beauty and spirit of the place in our masterplan.'

Explaining how it will differ from the London park, Hanway added: 'London was very complex because of the old industry and network of canals. Rio is more straightforward in that it is flat and already partially developed.

'But our approach has been very similar, especially with regards to leaving a legacy and in using Brazilian architects in the same way

article-0-15128F96000005DC-918_970x631.jpg

All smiles: Hanway stands over the model. Venues such as the velodrome and aquatics centre are already at the site, requiring only minor conversions to bring them up to standard to host the Games. And unlike London, the park will also host the Olympic tennis

British architects were used in London. That is something that was key in London and Eduardo (Eduardo Paes, the Mayor of Rio) was keen to do the same.

'We are already talking about some interesting ideas of converting some of the temporary venues into public buildings, like schools after the games. That is really exciting.'

Hanway said one of the main challenges facing Rio was public transport. The city of six million people has just two metro lines.

'The authorities are working on the transport and are extending the lines out to the park. The good thing for us, is a lot of the upgrades will be done in time for the World Cup in 2014,' he said.

Venues such as the velodrome and aquatics centre are already at the site, requiring only minor conversions to bring them up to standard to host the Games. And unlike London, the park will also host the Olympic tennis.

The images also show how the park will appear in 'legacy mode' after the Games when the temporary venues have been removed.

Barra da Tijuca, known as Barra by locals, is situated in the south west of Rio. It is known for its pristine Atlantic beaches and lush greenery.

Outside of Barra, the neighbourhood of Copacabana, famous for its long stretch of white beach, will host the rowing, sailing, canoeing and beach volleyball.

A separate zone in the Deodoro area of the city will host other competitions including modern pentathlon, shooting, equestrian, cycling and fencing.

article-0-15128F85000005DC-499_966x999.jpg

Legacy: It is hoped that after The Games some of the temporary venues can be converted into public buildings, like schools. One of the main challenges facing Rio is public transport - the city of six million people has just two metro lines

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz26ojhyAAs

• Like 1

Very good article.

Unfortunately, as many of you can remember, I am not very enthusiastic about this specific part of the project, due to a number of reasons that I won´t repeat it here. Now that the race track is being completely destroyed, I watch it with a lot of pain in my heart thinking "It could have been different".

If, at least, there were already working on the other race track, it would be a consolation prize, but not even this is happening right now. :(

^^This project was made for other Brazilian city - I can't remember which one now - not Rio.

More... Football venues are the same used for the World Cup, in Rio it'll be Maracanã Stadium.

That's a great design! And it's so dense The video in the Daily Mail article is very nice, too.

It's interesting that just like in the original design for the perimeter of the London Olympic Stadium, they want to place service pods shaped like stones of lentils in the Olympic Park (#25 in the following picture). Let's wait and see whether they'll stick to that design this time. ;)

article-0-15128F8D000005DC-855_968x663.jpg

And what surprises me is that they have the hockey venue there now, too. The official Games website still says that it will be in the Deodoro zone where they have hockey fields already in place from the 2007 Pan American Games: http://www.rio2016.org/en/the-games/venues-map

I wonder whether that is really necessary and sustainable. However, it's of course nice to see that they want to stage that many sports in the Olympic Park. 15 Olympic sports, that's four more than London staged in its Olympic Park.

Rio Olympic Park

Swimming

Diving

Synchronised Swimming

Water Polo

Track Cycling

Gymnastics

Rhythmic Gymnastics

Trampoline

Basketball

Handball

Hockey

Tennis

Judo

Taekwondo

Wrestling

London Olympic Park

Athletics

Swimming

Diving

Synchronised Swimming

Water Polo

BMX Cycling

Track Cycling

Modern Pentathlon

Basketball

Handball

Hockey

I believe that only Sydney had even more sports in its Olympic Park.

It's an ambitious project. Together with all the building necessary for the World Cup, it must be very lucrative to be a contractor in Brazil these days. ;)

Correction: "stones or lentils"

AECOM appoints VERO Communications

Written by: Laura Monks

Date: 28/09/2012

VERO Communications, a UK sports agency, together with its Brazillian office, MLA TRUE Communications and Brazillian sister agency, Approach, has been appointed by AECOM in Brazil.

AECOM is the global architectural firm responsible for the design of the Olympic and Legacy master plans for both the London and Rio Olympic Parks.

VERO will work with AECOM to define and roll out its communications strategy in Brazil.

http://www.featurese...le.php?id=17886

• 1 month later...

Jacarepagua race track closes ahead of 2016 Games

RIO DE JANEIRO -- The Jacarepagua track has hosted its last auto racing event before the site is redeveloped to make room for the 2016 Olympic Park.

The track, previously home to Formula One, CART and MotoGP, is where Ayrton Senna made his F1 debut in 1984 and is officially known as the Nelson Piquet International Raceway.

Jacarepagua hosted F1 in 1978 and from 1981-1989. CART raced there in on an oval from 1996-2000, and MotoGP used the track from 1995-2004.

The track was shortened after part of the venue was used for the 2007 Pan Am Games.

Local authorities say a new track will be built in the city.

AP

http://www.sacbee.co...ack-closes.html

Rio Olympic Park

(Updated on October, 30th, 2012)

20120828_cidade_olimpica_instalacos_olimpicas_parque_olimpico_autodromo_cameras_hsbc_lv-20.jpg

The Rio Olympic Park will be an area surrounded by mountains and the Lagoa Marapendi, which is being de-polluted

20120828_cidade_olimpica_instalacos_olimpicas_parque_olimpico_autodromo_cameras_hsbc_lv-4.jpg

The land plot, that once housed the Nelson Piquet racetrack, began to be cleared for the start of construction works

20120828_cidade_olimpica_instalacos_olimpicas_parque_olimpico_autodromo_cameras_hsbc_lv-5.jpg

Old bleachers began to be demolished for land clearing

20120828_cidade_olimpica_instalacos_olimpicas_parque_olimpico_autodromo_cameras_hsbc_lv-8.jpg

The Main Press Center (MPC) and the International Broadcasting Center (IBC) will be located in Rio Olympic Park

20120828_cidade_olimpica_instalacos_olimpicas_parque_olimpico_autodromo_cameras_hsbc_lv-2.jpg

Nine sports venues will be located at Rio Olympic Park

Rio 2016