Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenadian

The 2020 Bid Logos

Not for me. I think Baku's logo is great. But remember, what counts are the facts and who's the best bidder there should be Tokyo.

Aaaaaa that was a really nice logo!!! :( Sadly they must wait till 2024..... Better than the others and wasn't too corfull...

What is the official Istanbul logo?

GBMod said today the Istanbul team had told him they won't launch it till the Candidate cities are announced in May (assuming, of course, Istanbul goes through to the short list).

Aaaaaa that was a really nice logo!!! :( Sadly they must wait till 2024..... Better than the others and wasn't too corfull...

I like that a lot here. They designed a great logo and they did it without using all the colours of the rainbow like the others.

I like that a lot here. They designed a great logo and they did it without using all the colours of the rainbow like the others.

Well, it's moot anyway. As I predicted, 2020 wasn't meant for Rome.

Well, it's moot anyway. As I predicted, 2020 wasn't meant for Rome.

It's all the government's fault. So you've got 1.5 Trillion Dollars debt, what's a couple of billion more on top of that?

You said so yourself (correct me if I am wrong) that the Olympics are either for those with tons of cash to spend and can go over the top or those hugely in debt and what's the difference if they blow a few billion dollars on the world's greatest spectacle.

It's all the government's fault. So you've got 1.5 Trillion Dollars debt, what's a couple of billion more on top of that?

You said so yourself (correct me if I am wrong) that the Olympics are either for those with tons of cash to spend and can go over the top or those hugely in debt and what's the difference if they blow a few billion dollars on the world's greatest spectacle.

Yeah, I said that...but doesn't mean actual gov'ts will buy it. ;)

But it is optics and politics. If you are going to ask your citizens to tighten their belts and pay off the debts, it is hard to then throw a big party like the Olympics. And those few billions add up. As difficult as it is and as much as I love the city and the country, the Italian government did the wise thing in shutting down the Rome 2020 Olympic bid.

Could someone explain this to me, why cities change their logos afterwards. So the latest two cities of Sochi and Rio changed their logos to new ones. Is it kinda new rule set by IOC?

This is a very fair question though. I preferred London's bid logo to the Games logo. I VASTLY preferred Rio's bid logo to their Games logo. Rio's 2016 bid logo is up there with Monterey's ring of fire bid logo as some of my favorite Olympic design work. It's sad to me that it falls by the wayside and gets replaced by ho-hum stuff.