The 2020 Bid Logos

Kenadian

Only two weeks shy of the September 1, 2011 deadline to submit applicants for the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in 2020 and so far we have four interested parties (in alphabetical order):

Istanbul

Madrid

Rome

Tokyo

So what are the logos for these bids? What do people think each city could or should use in their design? And what do you think of the existing ones?

At this time, I only see one for Rome.

logo.gif

If this is indeed Rome's, it is really boring and completely uninspired whereas their 2004 logo was an absolute gem. I do hope they change it as the bid progresses.

Of course, the four applicants thus declared have all had recent candidacies in recent Olympic elections:

7018.gif

6948.gif

Madrid_2012_Ciudad_Candidata-logo-9D25034D00-seeklogo.com.gifmadrid-2016.gif

logo.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rome's 2004 looked good.

Madrid's should be more exciting and less childish, and Tokyo's was kind of dull too. I have high hopes for all of the bid logo's this time around, but know a couple will be disappointing.

about rome... not special

tokyo i want to see an origami image or kanagawa wave...

madrid st about spain not a "give me five"

istanbul, hmmm hardest for me as im an istanbullitan.. so much cultural background, a worldwide famous city silhouette ..dont know.. but not another TULIP officials please:S

I posted this self-created one on the 'Istanbul 2020' topic page 24

I was candidate at the GamesBids Fantasy competition for the SOG 2020-2024 or was it 2028. But in the year of 2010 I was not able do go till the end of the comp because I went to Oslo for the Eurovision Song contest as a journalist-writer for an Turkish eurovision website. But this was my Logo design for the fantasty comp; .. not so good .. but fresh enough I think.

fatihcivelekistanbul202.png

- If you look carfully .. you will see the topographic form of the two continents that from Istanbul 'the clothes of the derwish'.

- The 2 strings in the middle of the clothes forms the 2 existing bridges over the bosphorus

- When whirling the Olympic Flame is born and is reaching high when one hand in the air is asking for forgiveness/pureness and from the other hand towards the ground, all the sins and faults are falling ..

- The fresh bleu whirling background symbolises the sea and universal values of humanity.

B);)

Look you can play with the colours .. this logo is not the finished/finesse version of what I have in mind.

What you are seeing is a first-phase logo .. but not olympic-friendly (seen afterwards)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Lord_David/Istanbul2020.jpg

I found the topic about it where I've published it:

Istanbul2020.jpg

rio2004l.gif

Still about 2004 race bid logo, this is IMO the best Rio olympic-related logo ever.

It's simple, perfect and so Rio de Janeiro to me.

Sad, we had no good lucky with it.

Stockholm2004.png

Don't really understand Stockholm's logo, but at least each seemed to capture a slice of flavor for each city.

Man and Pegasus. If one knew the sculpture then one would automatically know the Greek reference. Otherwise, with a bit of research, this is an appropriate logo representing something Swedish, whilst referring to the Olympics' Greek heritage.

Madrid_2012_Ciudad_Candidata-logo-9D25034D00-seeklogo.com.gifmadrid-2016.gif

I remember at first no one in Spain liked the 2012 logo, but when the 2016 hand was unveiled, everyone wanted 2012 to come back! :lol:

I hope the 2020 bid logo will be more like 2012's: simple, elegant and very Spanish.

lg2004b1.gif

And I also hope the next time South Africa (or anywhere else in Africa) wants to host another major international event they will have a more original logo.

durban1.jpg41791_129872203714033_8443_n.jpg

These three are basically the same... I think we already know what Africa looks like and that South Africa is in Africa. I personally prefer a logo showing their culture, like a zulu mask for example :unsure:

I remember at first no one in Spain liked the 2012 logo, but when the 2016 hand was unveiled, everyone wanted 2012 to come back! :lol:

I hope the 2020 bid logo will be more like 2012's: simple, elegant and very Spanish.

And I also hope the next time South Africa (or anywhere else in Africa) wants to host another major international event they will have a more original logo.

durban1.jpg41791_129872203714033_8443_n.jpg

These three are basically the same... I think we already know what Africa looks like and that South Africa is in Africa. I personally prefer a logo showing their culture, like a zulu mask for example :unsure:

I don't mind the "map" concept, but I would prefer that it be done better. I'm still amazed by the official poster for the 2010 World Cup. I think it's a big deal that it'd be Africa's first time hosting, requiring support of the continent's biggest and most influential names, beyond just the actual applicant city, so including the continent isn't so bad in my view.

Regarding cultural stuff, I think it's a great idea to incorporate these elements. I actually really liked Vancouver's logo. But for South Africa, one would have to be culturally sensitive to the predominant culture of the applicant city. (e.g. Zulu references are fine for Durban, not so much for Capetown.)

fifa-official-2010-fifa-world-cup-poster-small-14163.jpg

That's not the point tho, Athan. In their pursuit of the Olympics, (South) Africa has to hint strongly that they are the ONLY continent left NOT to have been given a Games, so I think, especially the 2004 Cape Town logo, it conveys the message strongly AND beautifully in graphic terms. South Africa knows it is carrying the hopes and dreams of an entire continent (and by using the continental image), it also in a way blunts any hopes of Morocco, Egypt, Kenya or Nigeria.

That 2004 logo of theirs is to me one of the top 2 or 3 Olympic (or bid) logos ever.

Yes, I know the "being in Africa" factor is essential for any (South) African bid, but I think there are many other things people will relate to Africa (masks, animals...) that would look better than a map on the logo. And I agree that the Cape Town 2004 logo at least looks nice, but I don't like the Durban 2011 one at all. It's not that it's ugly either, but I don't see a logo there. It seems all they wanted to show is where Durban is. But that's just my opinion, to each his own I guess.

of the 4 above ideas, i like roma the most. although i'm not sure of the significance of "a2"

its doesnt mean anything,just to play with some colors,every logo ive design is inspired from their landmark@symbol like

-madrid leaning tower

-japan kimono

-rome colleseum

-istanbul blue mosque

I think that Rome will change their logo. That one was designed during the domestic stage and they always change logos for the international stage. Expect to see more of what each applicant has in store for us after September 1.

Archived