Jump to content
Sir Rols

Rio 2016 Olympic Media Update

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'm well aware, just as I know he is the top contributor to this thread in the lead up to the Olympics.  Although to be fair, he posted during Rio.. "Did manage to watch a morsel here and there online but on NBC's streams"  Maybe that's part of why he's so eager to share all this from Olympic coverage around the world on his own time and again, not trying to reign on his parade here.  But when you're talking about search algorithms and geo-restrictions and the like.. no, that's not why Durban decided to post this here and now.  I understand and respect his passion for this subject, but I still wonder (I somewhat know the answer to this question) why this a subject of interest now when it would have been a lot more interesting months ago?  It's not as if Durban hasn't posted on other things.  If this was some sort of blog on his part - as it often is - I'm totally into it.  Less so well after the Olympics are over.

Durban posted in September and October on this and other video-related threads. It's not lke he left GamesBids and unexpectedly came back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Durban posted in September and October on this and other video-related threads. It's not lke he left GamesBids and unexpectedly came back.

Once again, please stop telling me things you know I'm already aware of.  Did you happen to notice the gap in this thread between early October and late November?  So yea, for the purposes of discussing Rio Olympic media updates, he might as well have left and unexpectedly came back.

I'll say it again since you still don't seem to grasp what I was originally asking him (asking him and not you since you tried to speak for him).  We all know there are a zillions stories and videos and news tidbits about the Olympics that are condensed into a very short period of time.  Count me as someone who likes to consume as much as I possibly can during those 2 1/2 weeks.  But after that, it's over.  Durban, both to his credit and detriment, wants to share a lot of that with everyone here.  We get that it takes some time to take in and digest all that is Olympic media in the days after the Olympics.  But 3 months after the Olympics?  Why did he first post about Australian coverage (from an article posted on the day of the closing ceremony) on November 22nd as if that's supposed to be topical now when it would have been on August 22nd.  And don't tell me search algorithms.  You and I (and Durban) know that's not the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Once again, please stop telling me things you know I'm already aware of.  Did you happen to notice the gap in this thread between early October and late November?  So yea, for the purposes of discussing Rio Olympic media updates, he might as well have left and unexpectedly came back.

I'll say it again since you still don't seem to grasp what I was originally asking him (asking him and not you since you tried to speak for him).  We all know there are a zillions stories and videos and news tidbits about the Olympics that are condensed into a very short period of time.  Count me as someone who likes to consume as much as I possibly can during those 2 1/2 weeks.  But after that, it's over.  Durban, both to his credit and detriment, wants to share a lot of that with everyone here.  We get that it takes some time to take in and digest all that is Olympic media in the days after the Olympics.  But 3 months after the Olympics?  Why did he first post about Australian coverage (from an article posted on the day of the closing ceremony) on November 22nd as if that's supposed to be topical now when it would have been on August 22nd.  And don't tell me search algorithms.  You and I (and Durban) know that's not the answer.

Being "aware of" and "taking notice of" are two different things. I have entered this discussion because both your original question and your subsequent comments seem unnecessarily mean-spirited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Being "aware of" and "taking notice of" are two different things. I have entered this discussion because both your original question and your subsequent comments seem unnecessarily mean-spirited.

What discussion?  I asked Durban a question that I was hoping he would answer.  It was a question of curiosity, not something based in anger or condescension that I'm trying to belittle him or something.  Instead though, I get a response from you which had nothing to do with what I was asking Durban.  And then he reads that and says "yes, what JMark said" without even really addressing what I brought up (and have brought up before).  So if I'm being mean-spirited here, it's towards you for inserting yourself into a discussion that did not involve you, as if somehow you need to defend Durban and answer for him.  

I know from past interactions that Durban is often more about posting in a thread with his findings rather than interacting with other posters (which I'm not saying is a bad thing, I'm just pointing it out, and I know where that comes from).  When his last post included info from Uruguay and Japan, I'm fairly confident it has nothing to do with being ignored by search algorithms.  That's the nonsense response to your post.  My guess - and I was hoping to hear this from him and not you - was that he simply decided to look for it last week and found it and decided to share.  I have no issue with that whatsoever.  I'm just curious as to his thought process that suddenly that's of interest to him in November.  Still fairly confident the answer to that has nothing to do with search algorithms.  And if it does, let's hear it from him without you putting that thought out there for him to parrot back to us.

I've said before.. if Durban had a blog with all of his Olympic media coverage findings, I would probably be 1 of the more frequent visitors to that.  If that's how he wants to use this thread, more power to him.  But again - and this is something I want Durban and only Durban to answer (if you want to have a separate discussion, be my guest) - my question is why are we still getting "updates" here with stories that were reported and topical a while back.  Because it would have been nice to discuss these things then as opposed to now when we've all since moved on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How NBC Olympics  looks back at all the hard work bringing NBC's Rio 2016 broadcast and digital coverage last summer. As well as what they learned and how to adjust to changing patterns and habits. Quite a nice read:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/a-look-back-at-nbc-olympics-coverage-of-rio-2016/280421

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A list of the Sports Emmys nominees can be found here. The Games of the XXXI Olympiad for the NBC Sports Group's broadcast has a combined 14 nominations in both English and Spanish from Telemundo/NBC Universo. Even one of its TV promos got a nod:

http://cdn.emmyonline.org/sports_38th_nominations.pdf

In Canada at the Canadian Screen Awards in March, The CBC won Best Live Sports Event for Rio 2016, Scott Russell won for Best Sports Host in a Sports Program or Series for his anchoring of Rio 2016 at the CBC. Sherali Najak, Mark Tewksbury, and Mark Lee were nominated but lost out in Best Direction in a Live Sporting Event, Best Sports Analyst In A Sports Program, and Best Sports Play-By-Play Announcer respectively, for Rio 2016. Also nominated for but lost Best Sports Intro/Tease:

https://www.academy.ca/category/2017-tv-nominees/

Down Under, the Seven Network's Rio 2016 broadcast is nominated for the fan-voted Silver Logie In Rio Today for Best Sports Program and in the jury-voted Most Outstanding Best Sports Coverage as part of 7's 22 overall noms, that's third behind ABC and Ten:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/03/logie-awards-2017-nominees.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Australian Rio 2016 TV coverage generated and exceeded major profit expectations last year for the Prime Media Group, the NSW regional company in close association with SevenWest Media like for Newcastle and possibly Canberra:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/olympics-boosts-prime-media-group-profits/news-story/9c8628d7a3804b2e7a8eff18189354bd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very decidedly late in coming--and the following can head into numerous threads because of its nature--but I just found Radio Bandeirates' nearly 5-hour coverage of the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony that was on the Brazilian radio dial that Friday, August 5 last year. Must bring some details on the Brazilian radio coverage while I'm at this. In the case of the Radio Bandeirantes Group, whose TV brethren Band TV was also involved. But I'm wondering was this a simulcast for BAND TV? Anyway, RB brought over a combined 200 hours of daily coverage inside Brazil's backyard starting with the Brazil-China women's soccer game August 3 and Brazil vs. South Africa in Brasilia the next day and utilized more than 30 professionals from Bradesco Sports FM, Radio Bandeirantes, and BandNews FM all based in Rio De Janeiro.  While also having support in Sao Paulo. This ended with the Closing Ceremony of course. What you hear from the beginning is talk and some disappointment about the soccer immortal Pele not going to be involved in the final leg of the torch relay and light the torch inside the great Maracana Stadium due to his health issues at the time. They were all speculating over who will light it. As we know now turns out it was Vanderlei De Lima. Radio Bandereirantes' teams included Fernando Camargo, Murilo Borges, Ricardo Capriotti, Cláudio Zaidan, Bernardo Ramos, Ivan Zimmermann, Román Laurito, Beth Romero, and Guilherme Pallesi. All of them managed to conduct their activities at Bradesco Sports FM and hourly reports from Murilo Borges and Álvaro José. The actual Opening Ceremony comes in at 1:44:58 and already in progress with the Parade of Nations after all the numerous Olympic news and analysis. And not a complete one either with the radio sportscasters at Maracana Stadium back coming in with Australia already having just marched in. So it omits the artistic presentation centering on Brazil's development and history as a nation, some of the MPB music, the Brazilian anthem, and the climate change message.

What was interesting lies in that Minas Gerais-based Radio Italiaia also was involved for its 8th consecutive Olympic Games, featuring Olympic-themed news bulletins  and special features and reports made by teams in Rio De Janeiro and Belo Horizante following a R$1 million investment here and got 8 sponsors including Volkswagen and the MInas Gerais Government. With its hourly broadcasts and eight broadcasts per day, Radio Gaucha from the RBS Group produces 20 different events. It promised podcasts of news and other special features During the Olympics, the Voz of Brasil was allowed to moved by Brazilian radio stations between 19-22h (7-10pm Brazil time) but have that done by 10:59pm. Bradesco Sports FM, which celebrated its 4-year anniversary with some torch relay coverage at the Football Museum, even had its own IBC studios that devoted itself towards the Games 24 hours a day including the Elia Junior na Bola started August 5. Nativa FM 95.3 and Band FM 96.1 got involved with Olympic programming, news, and journalistic features of their own prior to the Games. As for Radio Globo, it created the Radio Globo CBN project with its two flagship radio stations--CBN AM 780 in São Paulo and Radio Globo AM 1220 AM in Rio de Janeiro--that devoted its total radio schedule to Rio 2016 with live radio broadcasts:

https://tudoradio.com/noticias/ver/15786-radios-do-grupo-bandeirantes-terao-mais-de-200-horas-de-transmissao-olimpica

http://torcedores.uol.com.br/noticias/2016/07/como-sera-a-cobertura-do-radio-nas-olimpiadas

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://aerp.org.br/portal/o-radio-nas-olimpiadas/&prev=search

But Bradesco Sports Radio sadly since ceased broadcasting this March from Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro nearly five years coming from the ashes of Oi FM with the 94.1 FM Sao Paulo frequency must be sold. RIP Bradesco Esportes FM...

http://www.portalmidiaesporte.com/2017/02/radio-bradesco-esportes-fm-encerrara.html

Even the massive American Olympic broadcasting juggernaut NBC had to be impressed with Globo's Rio 2016 broadcasting planning and execution:

http://www.portalmidiaesporte.com/2016/07/emissora-americana-se-impressiona-com.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

The actual Opening Ceremony comes in at 1:44:58 and already in progress with the Parade of Nations

:lol: Looks like they calculated that many people would move away from the television for meals etc. during the Parade, but might still want the atmosphere and music on in the background. Very smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe listeners would get bored of the descriptions with artistic presentation and move away for the meals, despite there was lots of music there. Don't know why Radio Bandeirantes kept on with the multiple Olympic news reports instead of immediately going to the OC's start with Luiz Melodia's "Aquele Abraco" and have the Parade of Nations in its entirety starting with Greece. Surely Brazilian listeners can get the descriptions and interpretations of what's going on like the Brazilian arrivals from the announcers with the music and atmosphere. I can get it if the perception that people will rather watch it on the multiple Brazilian TV channels from Globo to SPORTV to Band to FOX Sports Brasil to ESPN Brasil to Record, since the trend is make it more made-for-TV and visually heavy, as discussed on the Ceremonies thread.

Get you up to speed about the Sports Emmys from May in case we overlooked them following a lengthy absence. NBC received 14 nominations for its coverage of the Games of the XXXI Olympiad out of the 41 the NBC Sports Group got overall. Out of those 14, it walked away with 6, mostly in tech for Outstanding Trans-Media Sports Coverage (certainly appeared to be a lock coming in with that category),  Outstanding Sports Personality--Studio Host for Bob Costas, Outstanding Team Technical Remote, Outstanding Studio Design/Artwork, Outstanding Studio Sports Show in Spanish, and Outstanding On-Air Spanish Sports Personality for Andreas Cantor. So perhaps the Emmy voters felt the compelling need to spread the wealth after NBC cleaned up more or less with the London coverage. But interestingly, ESPN Deportes wins Outstanding Musical Direction for Los Capitanes' brilliant Olympic Suite score that Alondra Del La Parra conducted and was also used for ESPN Caribbean and ESPN Brasil for all their respective Olympic coverages. HBO Sports' Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel also won an Sports Emmy for Outstanding Sports Journalism for its Lord of the Rings: An Investigation Into the IOC segment. Although neither were in Rio De Janeiro for NBC's coverage last summer for different reasons like they were in London and Beijing, Mike "Doc" Emerick and the late Craig Sager also both won Sports Emmys:

http://cdn.emmyonline.org/sports_38th_winners_v04.pdf

http://cdn.emmyonline.org/sports_38th_nominations.pdf

Chris Bascombe from The Telegraph adores the "brilliant" BBC Rio 2016 coverage that saw Team GB enjoy its greatest offshore Summer Olympics performance and raving about the sportscasters, but was annoyed at how the BBC kept asking Britain's winning athletes in various sports about their SPOTY odds serving as a misstep shadowing their end result:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/24/the-bbcs-coverage-was-brilliant-but-spare-us-the-spoty-debate/

His colleague Alan Tyers liked the BBC's direction with its swimming coverage in its entertainment values with Helen Skelton, Rebecca Adlington, and Mark Foster at the pool:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/10/rio-olympics-2016-the-bbcs-swimming-coverage-has-been-fresh-feis/

After the most-watched TV event in British television and broadcasting history with the BBC's London 2012 coverage four years ago and broke new ground then, the BBC as noted earlier in this thread with an even less staff from London 2012 by 40% (more similar with Beijing's), despite bringing in the big name heavy hitters as it geared up that August. Never ignored the issues going on (and possibly still ongoing now) with Rio De Janeiro with 3000 hours from that 455-member staff even when some of them reportedly dropped out:     

http://www.businessinsider.com/zika-terrorism-time-differences-how-bbc-preparing-for-rio-olympics-2016-8

But you can't please everybody, even in Britain, with the Olympic coverage from viewers. What in the hell did you expect? It's going to be national and will therefore focus on the British athletes and hold a national bias towards Team GB to a great degree even from an outlet as revered worldwide like the BBC. Like it is everywhere with a national rights holder from a major territory:

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/698385/Viewers-slam-BBC-presenters-biased-coverage-Team-GB-Rio-Olympics-2016

SuperSport looked into the idea of using Afrikaans and Xhosa commentary for the Blitz Bokke Sevens and Zulu and Sotho for soccer. Perhaps for Tokyo 2020, SuperSport could look into the idea of devoting a pan-African Olympic channel highlights included. Online SuperSport allowed filtering its TV schedule for South African athletes to watch like Chad Le Clos, Caster Semenaya, Wayde Van Niekirk, Bayana Bayana, and the Blitz Bokke. SABC meanwhile wasn't going to interfere with swimming with rugby sevens going on at the same time from 10pm South Africa time. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Durban, once again my curiosity compels me to ask...

On 4/1/2017 at 12:21 PM, Durban Sandshark said:

A list of the Sports Emmys nominees can be found here. The Games of the XXXI Olympiad for the NBC Sports Group's broadcast has a combined 14 nominations in both English and Spanish from Telemundo/NBC Universo. Even one of its TV promos got a nod:

http://cdn.emmyonline.org/sports_38th_nominations.pdf

23 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Get you up to speed about the Sports Emmys from May in case we overlooked them following a lengthy absence. NBC received 14 nominations for its coverage of the Games of the XXXI Olympiad out of the 41 the NBC Sports Group got overall. Out of those 14, it walked away with 6, mostly in tech for Outstanding Trans-Media Sports Coverage (certainly appeared to be a lock coming in with that category),  Outstanding Sports Personality--Studio Host for Bob Costas, Outstanding Team Technical Remote, Outstanding Studio Design/Artwork, Outstanding Studio Sports Show in Spanish, and Outstanding On-Air Spanish Sports Personality for Andreas Cantor. So perhaps the Emmy voters felt the compelling need to spread the wealth after NBC cleaned up more or less with the London coverage. But interestingly, ESPN Deportes wins Outstanding Musical Direction for Los Capitanes' brilliant Olympic Suite score that Alondra Del La Parra conducted and was also used for ESPN Caribbean and ESPN Brasil for all their respective Olympic coverages. HBO Sports' Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel also won an Sports Emmy for Outstanding Sports Journalism for its Lord of the Rings: An Investigation Into the IOC segment. Although neither were in Rio De Janeiro for NBC's coverage last summer for different reasons like they were in London and Beijing, Mike "Doc" Emerick and the late Craig Sager also both won Sports Emmys:

http://cdn.emmyonline.org/sports_38th_winners_v04.pdf

http://cdn.emmyonline.org/sports_38th_nominations.pdf

The nominations for the Sports Emmys were announced on March 30th.  You shared that with us just 2 days later.  What happened with the announcement of the winners that you're just getting us up to speed on this 4 1/2 months after the winners were announcer.  What "lengthy absence" are you talking about?

The rest of the stories you linked to are all from last August.  1 of them is actually from *before* the Olympics, talking about how the BBC is gearing up for it's Rio coverage.  Wouldn't it have been more timely and interesting to share that then and not a year after the Olympics (with the next Olympics only a little over 4 months away)?  Like I said before, I am consistently amazed and impressed at your ability to collect and share content on media coverage of the Olympics.  But at the same time, I remain a little bemused that you continue to share that content long after it has ceased to be topical and timely.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×