Rio 2016 Olympic Media Update

Makes much sense that the Globo Group is hooking up and getting involved again with NHK for this 8KTV experiment. The Rio Summer Olympics obviously are a major deal with that kind of treatment following last year's World Cup 2014 and the ever-colorful and massive Rio De Janeiro Carnaval. There's enough experience from Globo to handle this endeavour. It's a safe bet that both ceremonies, some soccer, some volleyball (especially when Brazil is involved in both), gymnastics, swimming, basketball, track and field, diving, synchronized swimming, and maybe some rugby sevens, golf, and handball will get the 8KTV treatment. After all, Globo is Brazil's biggest media conglomerate and is the official Olympic host media partner. Plus Brazil and Japan are really close. Like to know what's the current state of 8KTV in Brazil, both technical and consumer. Still early days, I guess. You would expect the Brazilian 8KTV market will explode next year with more early adaptors when we get closer to the start of the Olympics as Brazilians will start buying more of those sets. Not too many, I imagine, compared to Japan and the USA but growing.

When Record got the rights to 2016, I realized it, unless it started devising multiple cable TV sports channels like Globo's SporTV or even temporary Olympic channels, it will look limited in its coverage with Record and Record News compared to what Globo will offer already in its stable and experience with its SporTV channels and then some. It's a key reason why Globo has that official Olympic media distinction in this sports-mad nation. And while Record is still an official Brazilian Olympic broadcaster, all it has are Record TV and Record News that are both free to air. Likely it's not interested in that sports expansion; it'll get crowded with what's already existing and the struggle to get tentpole sports broadcast rights will be immense in the Brazilian sports media landscape with SporTV, ESPN, BandSports, FOX Sports Brasil, and Claro Sports and wouldn't last. Globo just took over from there after the Record sublicensing to other Brazilian TV channels. I believe a major reason the bigger rival networks got the rights is access to see and use video footage of the top soccer, volleyball, basketball, swimming and track stars, both Brazilian and foreign, that they wouldn't get otherwise and thus get shut out, restricted to photos. Another thing: assuming the the extra SporTV channels will come on days before the Wednesday and Thursday before the Friday Opening Ceremony, you may have to think they have a Rio 2016 preview show heavily involving Time Brasil and plenty of non-Brazilians, in all the Olympic sports and Olympic-themed documentaries like perhaps a history of Brazil in the Olympics, profile pieces, and news to fill the time programming slots and around the competition with repeat viewings like Australia's FOXTEL did and surely used for on-demand online and mobile?

I wonder will Viasat Sweden will put field hockey on its Viasat Hockey channel during Rio.

Once we hit the one-year mark come August 5, we'll get more and greater Olympic coverage details, especially from NBC and CBC, having just done the Pan American Games by then . Do expect very much the same time frame block structure NBC proper will use for the Summer Olympics like in London and Beijing perhaps an expansion of an hour of two with the return of the Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels on the cable side. Since the USA is not a handball or field hockey power and the sports doesn't carry massive potent domestic mainstream interest here, we won't get to see an Olympic Handball and Field Hockey Channels, though it would be nice to see and further build exposure. The rings will be up as an on-screen TV bug too.

I'll read your big post later and give you a proper answer, sorry, I'm at work right now.

:)

The only promo Globo did for Rio 2016 so far...

The athletes part is nice... When the cauldron appears, gosh, what a poor 3D stuff, the cauldron in the Sugar Loaf Mountain is terrible and all the rest...

Sorry, it's not nice.

Globo didn't unveil its graphics so far. Nor Sportv.

Globo will focus in breaking news and volleyball/soccer. Sportv will have 16 channels and the biggest live coverage for Olympic Games in the history.

Band will show volleyball/soccer/basketball and maybe some handball, some breaking news and not much of other competitions.

Record: nobody knows. It all depends on what Bishop Macedo will be told by God to broadcast... They are always a big question mark about everything....

I can see the cauldron atop Sugar Loaf Mountain being cheesy. I grant you that. But that's where I guess the silliness is intended in one place. For one thing, we don't know what the Rio cauldron will look like or designed yet. The Record team part is nice, I think.

I tend to keep in the terrestrial end knowing that SporTV will handles all the events with my thoughts on it. Though with its Time Ouro analysts, those sports they come from (swimming, basketball, soccer, volleyball-both varieties, gymnastics, track and field, judo, and tennis) will be shown and act as the focus.

Take your time on my big thoughts, man. Sure it will be insightful :)

:rolleyes:

The sky is blue and water is wet and cheese is made of milk and pizza came from Italy and dogs are a kind of animal and babies come from a stork and the gays don't like vagina and feathers are soft and milk is white and a liquid is not a solid and it is like raaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaain on your wedding day it's a free ride when you've already paid it's the good advice that you just didn't take and who would've thought it figuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuures

Makes much sense that the Globo Group is hooking up and getting involved again with NHK for this 8KTV experiment. The Rio Summer Olympics obviously are a major deal with that kind of treatment following last year's World Cup 2014 and the ever-colorful and massive Rio De Janeiro Carnaval. There's enough experience from Globo to handle this endeavour. It's a safe bet that both ceremonies, some soccer, some volleyball (especially when Brazil is involved in both), gymnastics, swimming, basketball, track and field, diving, synchronized swimming, and maybe some rugby sevens, golf, and handball will get the 8KTV treatment. After all, Globo is Brazil's biggest media conglomerate and is the official Olympic host media partner. Plus Brazil and Japan are really close. Like to know what's the current state of 8KTV in Brazil, both technical and consumer. Still early days, I guess. You would expect the Brazilian 8KTV market will explode next year with more early adaptors when we get closer to the start of the Olympics as Brazilians will start buying more of those sets. Not too many, I imagine, compared to Japan and the USA but growing.

When Record got the rights to 2016, I realized it, unless it started devising multiple cable TV sports channels like Globo's SporTV or even temporary Olympic channels, it will look limited in its coverage with Record and Record News compared to what Globo will offer already in its stable and experience with its SporTV channels and then some. It's a key reason why Globo has that official Olympic media distinction in this sports-mad nation. And while Record is still an official Brazilian Olympic broadcaster, all it has are Record TV and Record News that are both free to air. Likely it's not interested in that sports expansion; it'll get crowded with what's already existing and the struggle to get tentpole sports broadcast rights will be immense in the Brazilian sports media landscape with SporTV, ESPN, BandSports, FOX Sports Brasil, and Claro Sports and wouldn't last. Globo just took over from there after the Record sublicensing to other Brazilian TV channels. I believe a major reason the bigger rival networks got the rights is access to see and use video footage of the top soccer, volleyball, basketball, swimming and track stars, both Brazilian and foreign, that they wouldn't get otherwise and thus get shut out, restricted to photos. Another thing: assuming the the extra SporTV channels will come on days before the Wednesday and Thursday before the Friday Opening Ceremony, you may have to think they have a Rio 2016 preview show heavily involving Time Brasil and plenty of non-Brazilians, in all the Olympic sports and Olympic-themed documentaries like perhaps a history of Brazil in the Olympics, profile pieces, and news to fill the time programming slots and around the competition with repeat viewings like Australia's FOXTEL did and surely used for on-demand online and mobile?

I wonder will Viasat Sweden will put field hockey on its Viasat Hockey channel during Rio.

Once we hit the one-year mark come August 5, we'll get more and greater Olympic coverage details, especially from NBC and CBC, having just done the Pan American Games by then . Do expect very much the same time frame block structure NBC proper will use for the Summer Olympics like in London and Beijing perhaps an expansion of an hour of two with the return of the Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels on the cable side. Since the USA is not a handball or field hockey power and the sports doesn't carry massive potent domestic mainstream interest here, we won't get to see an Olympic Handball and Field Hockey Channels, though it would be nice to see and further build exposure. The rings will be up as an on-screen TV bug too.

Hey, as promised, my answer.

So far Brazil is finishing yet to implement HDTV. Next year analog signal will be cut from the main markets and all SDTV will be cut by 2018.

There is no schedule for 4K or 8K terrestrial TV to be implemented in Brazil, meanwhile Japan is expected to be 8K in 2020.

Record is a TV with far less resources than Globo in every sense... London 2012 was poorly covered by them and Sportv, as pay-to-broadscast channel made much better coverage with its 4 or 5 channels. Indeed, Sportv got some international prizes for it, meanwhile, nobody even noticed Record were broadcasting it.

Record does not have the same coverage area than Globo, nor the same number of affiliates and since 2014 Record was surpassed by SBT and lost the #2 in ratings status. SBT is a shows, series and movies based Television Network with no sports.

SporTV might start its 16 channels coverage 1 week before the opening ceremony.

In Brazil only Band and Record uses the Olympic Rings over the logo. Globo never used them.

Switzerland's Infront Media officially announced the first of its 43 sub-Sahara African Rio 2016 free-to-air media platform rights sold to Tanzania's Azam Media. Azam pledges to broadcast at least six hours (likely up to nine) daily including both ceremonies live with daily news and highlights. Look for the popular Tanzanian Olympic sports track and field, soccer, boxing, swimming, and possibly basketball to get lots of time there. French sports marketing agency TV Media Sport helps out Infront in selling the rights to the regions. More deals in Sub-Saharan Africa broadcasters are "in the pipeline":

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/infront_agrees_rio_2016_tv_deal_in_tanzanian br

• Like 1

Agreed on that! It's like the awesome samba drumming and dancing is calling out the Olympic athletes to Rio. Now if only the waters will be cleaned up quickly in time. I wonder how the other promos will utilize these things. Last year's FIFA World Cup promos gave a clue. This promo will have a TV premiere this Wednesday at 7pm US Central almost simultaneously through all of NBC's Olympic coverage channels. Even Chiller and Cloo, as part of the 18 NBCU TV networks overall. And that's not all, of course. Expect more aggressive promotions come Thanksgiving NFL football (and through the NFL season) and onto May with branched out methods, among other things:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/rio-olympics-nbcuniversal-promotion-1201555215/

Another one of those same style Seven Network 2016-2020 Olympic promo series that features swimmers Bronte and Cate Campbell (who freely admit to wanting to beat each other in the swimming pool) and Opals basketball star Liz Cambage (always gold medal contenders in women's basketball) join defending Olympic gold medalist in the hurdles Sally Pearson for Rio De Janeiro 2016 with Torah Bright aiming for Pyongchang 2018 and Nathan Calman for Tokyo 2020. Now with Beijing just announced as the site of the 2022 Winter Olympics, thus staying in Asia for three consecutive Olympics, I'm sure Seven would like to get that since it's again more favorable for its time zones:

If you have been paying any attention to ESPN Brasil with its sportscasting team, like with that ESPN Rio 2016 early preview show I uploaded, you can easily figure out the former athletes involved will be there. Ana Moser will definitely be there for volleyball and Mauricio Lima (covered the sport for Record at the just-completed Toronto 2015 Pan American Games). So will former Brazilian Olympians Maria "Magic Paula" Silva for basketball moving from Record in that post back in 2012 (and countering her old national teammate Hortencia Macari at Globo TV/SporTV, also does the NBA All-Star Game and NBA Playoffs for TNT/TruTV's Spanish/Portuguese sister channel Space from the NBA on TNT feeds), Diogo Silva in taekwondo, Flavia Delaroli for swimming, and Fernando Meligeni in tennis. ESPN Brasil will go live with its coverage and through Watch ESPN:

http://almanaque.portalvox.com/televisao/2015/08/espn-brasil-contrata-cinco-ex-atletas-para-comentar-olimpiadas-de-2016.html

http://boainformacao.com.br/tv/espn-brasil-contrata-ex-atletas-para-comentar-nas-olimpiadas-do-rio/

CANOC/CBI's Rio 2016 coverage will at least 12 hours daily over 17 days with TV scheduling priority towards of course the Caribbean athletes. Plus, non-traditional Olympic sponsors will be able to take part in the advertising across multiple platforms as well as a monthly Olympic magazine TV show devoted to get to know their athletes for the regional viewing audience leading up to the Olympics:

http://www.barbadostoday.bb/2015/08/01/athletes-to-be-highlighted-at-rio-games/