Rio 2016 Olympic Media Update

How is that ironic? NBC has no control over the soccer schedule and they wouldn't plan a primetime show like that around it. That Mexico is playing then is completely inconsequential. And even if it was the night before, they wouldn't spend much time on the women's soccer. Let NBCSN do that. NBC has bigger fish to fry than to spend time talking about soccer. I think you have to go back to 2004 to find the last time NBC proper showed an Olympic soccer match. In looking at the schedule, I think that will continue through this Olympics.

I called it ironic since the Olympic-sized ratings won't come until after the Opening Ceremony. So they are cannibalizing the limited audience between the preview and soccer match. I've also never thought that NBC promotes its cable coverage enough and thought this could have been a chance to get those that want to watch the preview to realize that competition is underway. I know the time for the 2015 women's world cup was more favorable, but the discrepancy between the 2015 women's world cup final (around 20 million viewers) and the 2012 gold medal final (around 4 million viewers) is extreme! Even the qualification round of men's basketball, with the biggest stars, only peaked at 3 million. This was also in a slot when there was no NBC coverage! It's just always seemed bizarre to me that NBC doesn't promote the sports with the stars that Americans are most familiar with (Basketball, Tennis, and Soccer).

I called it ironic since the Olympic-sized ratings won't come until after the Opening Ceremony. So they are cannibalizing the limited audience between the preview and soccer match. I've also never thought that NBC promotes its cable coverage enough and thought this could have been a chance to get those that want to watch the preview to realize that competition is underway. I know the time for the 2015 women's world cup was more favorable, but the discrepancy between the 2015 women's world cup final (around 20 million viewers) and the 2012 gold medal final (around 4 million viewers) is extreme! Even the qualification round of men's basketball, with the biggest stars, only peaked at 3 million. This was also in a slot when there was no NBC coverage! It's just always seemed bizarre to me that NBC doesn't promote the sports with the stars that Americans are most familiar with (Basketball, Tennis, and Soccer).

Okay, let's clear up some analysis here. NBC promotes the $hit out of their cable coverage. If you think otherwise, you're not paying much attention to the barrage of promos out there. There's only so many people out there watching the Olympics and most of that audience is going to be on the main network. I doubt there's any concern about the preview show audience hurting the soccer match or vice versa. There are going to be many days during the Olympics where they will be 6 networks on the air simultaneously, and that's not even counting the basketball/soccer specialty channels or the Spanish language coverage, if we're going to talk about cannibalization. That's also why could can't compare the women's world cup final (in primetime on a broadcast network.. that was a first) to the Olympic gold medal match which is 1 event out of zillion and say "OMG, the difference in the audience is so extreme!" The Olympic gold medal game was going on at the same time as the women's water polo gold medal game (also featuring team USA) on NBC. Simply based on which was on NBC and which was on NBCSN, I can tell you which got higher ratings. Again, that's not about promotion. That's the nature of more people watching almost anything on broadcast versus something on cable.

So then you bring up basketball.. do you really think more than 3 million people would be watching a preliminary round basketball game? In the middle of literally hundreds of hours of television coverage. That's not realistic. And again, that's not due to a lack of promotion on the part of NBC. The problem with promoting stars in familiar sports like basketball and tennis is that those athletes have bigger competitions they're a part of than the Olympics. Kevin Durant playing in Rio is a big deal, but not nearly as big as his offseason news of signing with the Warriors. The Olympics are a giant sporting competition where everyone is fighting for attention. There's only so much TV viewers to go around and the bread and butter of the TV coverage will almost be NBC primetime. It's not for a lack of promotion that those numbers are higher than the rest of the coverage.

Okay, let's clear up some analysis here. NBC promotes the $hit out of their cable coverage. If you think otherwise, you're not paying much attention to the barrage of promos out there. There's only so many people out there watching the Olympics and most of that audience is going to be on the main network. I doubt there's any concern about the preview show audience hurting the soccer match or vice versa. There are going to be many days during the Olympics where they will be 6 networks on the air simultaneously, and that's not even counting the basketball/soccer specialty channels or the Spanish language coverage, if we're going to talk about cannibalization. That's also why could can't compare the women's world cup final (in primetime on a broadcast network.. that was a first) to the Olympic gold medal match which is 1 event out of zillion and say "OMG, the difference in the audience is so extreme!" The Olympic gold medal game was going on at the same time as the women's water polo gold medal game (also featuring team USA) on NBC. Simply based on which was on NBC and which was on NBCSN, I can tell you which got higher ratings. Again, that's not about promotion. That's the nature of more people watching almost anything on broadcast versus something on cable.

So then you bring up basketball.. do you really think more than 3 million people would be watching a preliminary round basketball game? In the middle of literally hundreds of hours of television coverage. That's not realistic. And again, that's not due to a lack of promotion on the part of NBC. The problem with promoting stars in familiar sports like basketball and tennis is that those athletes have bigger competitions they're a part of than the Olympics. Kevin Durant playing in Rio is a big deal, but not nearly as big as his offseason news of signing with the Warriors. The Olympics are a giant sporting competition where everyone is fighting for attention. There's only so much TV viewers to go around and the bread and butter of the TV coverage will almost be NBC primetime. It's not for a lack of promotion that those numbers are higher than the rest of the coverage.

Every promo I have seen on NBC for this Olympics has only said "NBC", there's been no mention of the other 10+ channels. I've noticed CNBC has had the rings on its logo for months and seen that Bravo has a colorized Rio next to its name when they come back from their commercials. Of course, NBCSN has the Olympic rings on its logo. However, MSNBC and USA don't have rings on their logos. I watch MSNBC frequently and haven't seen any promos. I don't watch the USA, so I can't attest to their promos.

In 2012, I recall the USA basketball/soccer matches getting brief shoutouts on NBCSN the next day during a primetime NBC commercial. I don't think MSNBC/Bravo/CNBC were promoted the "$hit out of" or even NBCSN.

The comment about cannibalization was since probably 90%+ of American Olympic viewers have no idea competition begins before the opening ceremony. So the few million that know that will be most likely to watch the soccer match and even more so the preview special. Once the opening ceremony occurs, of course, everyone knows there's a "zillion" events occurring.

I understand the soccer gold medal match being on NBCSN due to advertising dollars (soccer has few less commercial breaks), but obviously more people care about women's soccer than women's water polo, so if it'd been better promoted, the figure would have been much higher. And again, the men's basketball games were played at a time when only CNBC was showing boxing from 5pm-7pm ET. The western half, which has a much smaller population, also likely still had NBC daytime coverage (Not sure). So in a slot where boxing was its only Olympic competition, which averaged less than 500,000 viewers, USA basketball matches on NBCSN only averaged 2.6 million. NBC's weekday daytime schedule, in a slot with fewer available viewers, averaged 7.1 million viewers. I don't think that NBC was very successful at bridging its daytime to primetime with three hours on NBCSN, which frequently featured men's USA basketball matches.

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/08/13/london-olympics-on-nbc-is-most-watched-television-event-in-u-s-history/

Every promo I have seen on NBC for this Olympics has only said "NBC", there's been no mention of the other 10+ channels. I've noticed CNBC has had the rings on its logo for months and seen that Bravo has a colorized Rio next to its name when they come back from their commercials. Of course, NBCSN has the Olympic rings on its logo. However, MSNBC and USA don't have rings on their logos. I watch MSNBC frequently and haven't seen any promos. I don't watch the USA, so I can't attest to their promos.

Most of the promos I've seen use the line "on the networks of NBC Universal." To be fair, I've been watching a lot of the Tour de France, so I'm spending a lot of time on NBCSN. The oddity there is that they talk about coverage starting on August 5th, so yes, they are somewhat ignoring the soccer games the 2 days before. I can't speak to having watched much of USA or MSNBC, so I don't doubt you're right about those networks.

In 2012, I recall the USA basketball/soccer matches getting brief shoutouts on NBCSN the next day during a primetime NBC commercial. I don't think MSNBC/Bravo/CNBC were promoted the "$hit out of" or even NBCSN.

And did the USA basketball games on NBCSN get promoted by NBCSN? I get what you're saying about the secondary and tertiary networks being promoted elsewhere, but 2 of those networks (Bravo and CNBC) were specific to an individual sport. So their appeal is limited. There's only so much time you can spend on promoting coverage. Although again, to be fair, when cable coverage of the Olympics started getting really serious in 2004 and 2006, they were better about then about laying out events and schedules on the cable nets. I think the deal now is that they rely more online for that, probably in part to drive people to that coverage as well.

The comment about cannibalization was since probably 90%+ of American Olympic viewers have no idea competition begins before the opening ceremony. So the few million that know that will be most likely to watch the soccer match and even more so the preview special. Once the opening ceremony occurs, of course, everyone knows there's a "zillion" events occurring.

Okay.. and of those 90%+ of American Olympic viewers, how many of them would be watching preliminary round soccer matches even if they know about them? I don't think viewership of those games is hurt significantly by the lack of promotion. Could NBC do a better job of pointing those out? Sure. But again, the Olympics are a marathon of coverage. Only so much time viewers (particularly those not already in tune with Olympic soccer and the cable elements) are going to be able to spend watching the Olympics.

I understand the soccer gold medal match being on NBCSN due to advertising dollars (soccer has few less commercial breaks), but obviously more people care about women's soccer than women's water polo, so if it'd been better promoted, the figure would have been much higher. And again, the men's basketball games were played at a time when only CNBC was showing boxing from 5pm-7pm ET. The western half, which has a much smaller population, also likely still had NBC daytime coverage (Not sure). So in a slot where boxing was its only Olympic competition, which averaged less than 500,000 viewers, USA basketball matches on NBCSN only averaged 2.6 million. NBC's weekday daytime schedule, in a slot with fewer available viewers, averaged 7.1 million viewers. I don't think that NBC was very successful at bridging its daytime to primetime with three hours on NBCSN, which frequently featured men's USA basketball matches.

Bullshit. USA basketball matches "only" averaged 2.6 million viewers? Do you know how many events on NBCSN draw more than that? NBCSN had 2 games of the Stanley Cup Finals this year (speaking of signature events on NBCSN that have 2 months of lead-up with the playoffs that you know got heavy promotion). One of those drew 2.8 million viewers and the other drew 2.5 million. Those are for championship level events, not preliminary round games. 2.6 million is a huge audience for NBCSN. Being a cable network and not a broadcast network means they're never going to get the audience that NBC does. That's not a lack of promotion. That's the nature of television viewing. You talk about bridging daytime to primetime.. between 7 hours of daytime and 4 hours of primetime, how many people want another 3 hours of Olympic coverage? Not to mention NBCSN is on all morning/afternoon themselves anyway.

I think you're setting the bar far too high for the cable nets. You're looking at viewership levels of NBC versus NBCSN and think it's about the promotion, but that's not the case. No amount of promotion is going to get anything near network-level audiences on cable. And that's not just because of the fewer number of people who have cable as opposed to who have access to NBC. That's just the reality of television viewing patterns. Look at the numbers on the cable nets compared to their audience for any other programming. If they can repeat what they got from London, they'll be thrilled. That you think they can do much better is unrealistic, and it's not the level of promotion that makes it that way.

How is that ironic? NBC has no control over the soccer schedule and they wouldn't plan a primetime show like that around it. That Mexico is playing then is completely inconsequential. And even if it was the night before, they wouldn't spend much time on the women's soccer. Let NBCSN do that. NBC has bigger fish to fry than to spend time talking about soccer. I think you have to go back to 2004 to find the last time NBC proper showed an Olympic soccer match. In looking at the schedule, I think that will continue through this Olympics.

Do you think NBC has no control over the schedule? in Seoul, when they had some of the swimming races involving Janet Evans and Matt Biondi, some of the track and field, and even the diving that were scheduled for the morning in Seoul, which network did that? NBC. It's NBC that sometimes scheduled a US hockey game during the past two winter games for the afternoon US time too so they didn't conflict with figure skating in Primetime, and NBC had the gymnastics and swimming in the 08 games in the morning for the same reason: so they could be seen live in Primetime in the east. However, NBC has to make changes to their sports lineup and their daytime schedule too to accommodate the Olympics. Why would they preempt Days Of Our Lives? why would they move some of the Winston Cup and even Busch Races to CNBC or USA Network? it's because are devoting their resources and time to the Olympics.

Another look, although more summarily, on NBC's stance to place the OC on a 1-hour delay along with the virtues of Comcast's X1:
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/2016-summer-olympics-nbcuniversal-rio-comcast-x1-1201812140/

NBC Olympics expects now an 15% increase in advertising sales with national advertising deals with over 100 companies, partly now a change in the IOC rules allowing non-Olympic sponsors allowed in broadcasts if it features an Olympian sponsored by the companies with the realization of a massive TV audience awaiting:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-11/nbc-expects-15-percent-increase-in-ad-sales-for-rio-olympics

We already mentioned the Brazilian comedy troupe planning to add their humor to FOX Sports Brazil's broadcast to its Rio 2016 broadcast. Now here the official announcement of comedy trio Porta Dos Fundos (Antonio Tabet doing the narration, commentary from Rafael Portugal, and "special" participation by Totoro) ready to announce their informal style live on both FOX Sports channels being based in Sao Paulo. Also will be involved in social media:
http://torcedores.com/noticias/2016/07/fox-sports-reforca-campanha-para-olimpiadas-com-grupo-porta-dos-fundos

Lisa Miskovsky makes her return to MTG's Viasat Sverige's Olympic TV coverage this year by hosting TV3's Godmorgon Rio (Good Morning Rio) daily Olympic morning show that starts at 8am starting August 7 as her brand new assignment. But she won't be on location this time over in Rio De Janeiro like she was in Sochi two years ago reporting the snowboarding but instead be staying in Stockholm. She gets to geek out on the Olympic sports that she hopes it'll be the show's highlight with talks to experts, who and what sports fans want to know more about the sports' details. For example, how active are trained, how they prepare, they brought in something new that paid off. Actually Miskovsky participates in plenty of sports outside of snowboarding, as she can tell you:
http://www.expressen.se/sport/os2016/lisa-miskovskys-nya-uppdrag--under-os/

SuperSport finally just releases the intense full 1-minute Go For Gold Rio 2016 Olympic TV spot. In keeping with the pan-African direction and emphasis the multichannel entity likes to do these days, it features notable athletes not just from South Africa (Cameron Van Der Burgh, Bayana Bayana, the South Africa men's Sevens, South Africa's rowers, Anaso Jobodwana) but also other significant fellow Sub-Saharan African Commonwealth nations Kenya (David Rushida, Julius Yego, Vivian Cheruiyot) and Nigeria (Segun Toriola) that hold tremendous say in terms of SuperSport's coverage. All of them intensely training ultimately for Rio after four years. Comes equipped with a Discover Vitality coverage sponsorship:

On pages 4-7 in Sportscaster Magazine's special June 2016 Olympics issue with the cover story being the CBC/Radio-Canada's upcoming Rio 2016 broadcasting coverage. Nothing new to add already except to say the hosts, anchors, cameras to bring forth the Canadian-ness, and on-camera reporters will be on-hand in Rio De Janeiro. But the bulk of the CBC team will stay on in Toronto (English) and Montreal (French). No production vans/trucks on-site, control rooms, or edit suites in Rio with all the mikes, cameras, production, direction, and editing all conducted from those two cities. Also Sportscaster says the CBC/Radio-Canada VR coverage will total somewhere between 50-60 hours. Interestingly. swimming is not a part of it for the CBC yet. Additional and subsequent CBC Rio 2016-related articles will come online:
http://www.sportscastermagazine.ca/digital-archives/june-2016/

Japan's TBS will embark on its 7th consecutive Olympic broadcasting mission since Athens 2004 as a member of the NHK-led Japan Consortium--its 4th Summer Olympics here with Rio De Janeiro. The main Tokyo Broadcasting System channel's coverage will start August 7 with a 54-minute highlight show at 2pm. After that day starting on August 8, it's judo, the Japanese men's soccer team vs. Sweden, men's table tennis singles semifinals, swimming, track and field, the women's marathon, men's and women's golf final round, synchronized swimming, and men's and women's boxing finals. Times will vary there but would generally come from the evening to early morning depending on the events. BS-TBS will carry a one-day delay (or replay) of some key events mostly for two hours from 5-7pm with swimming and track and field though it's judo on August 9 from 2-4pm and the women's marathon and the men's golf final replay from 1-5pm on August 15. TBS' Rio 2016 coverage theme song is Thank You by SMAP:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tbs.co.jp/olympic/&prev=search
http://www.tbs.co.jp/olympic/

NTV (Nippon Television) aired the 2016 Japanese National Gymnastics Championships last month (the Taiso) in the afternoon-early evening from Tokyo's Yoyogi National Gymnasium that determined the Japanese Olympic Gymnastics Team selections with a trio of former Japanese gymnasts as commentators:
http://www.ntv.co.jp/taiso/
http://www.ntv.co.jp/taiso/championship/rio_deciding_match.html

4500 hours of Olympic content that includes live streaming of all competition; TV simul-stream coverage of nine TV networks of all 34 sports for authenticated pay TV subscribers via TV Everywhere (if not televised, it'll be available online on NBCOlympics.com) concurrent streams of events that have multiple fields of action, like gymnastics and track and field; temporary pass to allow 30 minutes of streaming prior to authentication on the first visit, and five minutes subsequently; video-on-demand coverage; and closed-captioning in English; streaming to connected TVs; two apps, two digital-only programs, Spanish-language audio option of most English streams; and an active news desk. Also features feature video highlights, TV listings, medal standings, dedicated sections for each sport, Team USA and international athlete bios, and the “Primetime Companion” feature, which serves as a second-screen tool for NBC’s primetime coverage. There will also be a pair of digital only offerings. “Gold Zone” curates coverage of live events depending on importance (i.e. gold medal, overtimes). “Daily Dismount” offers daily post-event coverage of gymnastics. “Ever Wonder” is a social-focused, short-form video series NBC Sports Digital will offer on the curiosities of the Olympics. A digital news desk will also be available with hosts Julie Donaldson and Jenna Corrado:
http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/nbc-olympics-digital-coverage-reaching-new-heights/278978

The full Canal+ Rio 2016 Olympic sportscaster list. Complete with photos:
http://www.leblogtvnews.com/2016/07/j-o-de-rio-les-equipes-de-commentateurs-sur-canal-photos.html

France Televisions took a trip to the Rio BMX Velodrome:
https://www.tvfil78.com/jo-2016-france-television-en-tournage-au-velodrome/111461/

That France 3 Olympic 2016 TV spot set at a hotel with all the athletes there centering on the bellhop? Marie-Jose Perec, Christine Arron, Lilian Thuram, Beatrice Barbusse, Maryse Ewanjé-Sword, and Maguy Nestoret-Ontanon--many of them French sport legends--are none too pleased with it because of the lack of people of color and gender equity in it and want it pulled. I understand their concerns but if the IOC had no issues with it, that's where it should matter. Stunned, France 3 says the sports selected for it wanted to highlight the little sports media coverage in the image of rowing, synchronized swimming, horseback riding, etc. We worked in collaboration with the federations that selected sports. Wouldn't entirely dismiss their concerns over the promo as trivial. Would be nice if there were in it as athletes for there are some French athletes of color like Teddy Riner with great chances at succeeding down in Rio De Janeiro. Next time with Tokyo, France Televisions will learn from this and be more inclusive:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Medias/Actualites/France-3-fait-polemique-avec-son-clip-de-promotion-des-jo/703813

You can read this general overview how ZDF/ARD will handle a record 340 hours of German TV coverage that includes the entire German and the rest of men's handball team competition exclusively on ZDF and both the men's and women's soccer and field hockey teams (shown on both) along with 1000 hours online/mobile/smart TV hours as part of its last one those two networks have control of before Discovery/Eurosport takes over. With the daily marathon coverage alternating between the two beginning daily at 12:30-1:30pm and ending at 5am with a daytime highlight program from 9-12:
http://www.rp-online.de/sport/olympia-sommer/olympia-2016-ard-und-zdf-uebertragen-bis-5-uhr-morgens-aid-1.6096727

I wonder if RTP Portugal will employ RTP1, RTP2, RTP Informação, and that special temp RTP Olímpicos HD again, though it hasn't been officially announced yet from RTP during its coverage of Rio 2016, especially going to one of its fellow Portuguese-speaking nations. If I read it right from back several pages ago, RTP1 will show 22 hours a day alone regarding this Summer Olympics edition this year. Does promise the most comprehensive Olympics ever on terrestrial Portuguese TV.

TV21 Macedonia has a TV spot for its own Countdown to Rio program that came on at 13:30-15 (1:30-3pm) in the afternoon sometime between late June-early July. On Monday. Don't know for sure if TV21 is going to show the Olympics on Macedonian TV instead of, or in partnership with, MRT. Among the features include French pole vaulter champ Rene Lavilliene, a look at fencing explained, and Kosovari judoka Majlinda Kelmendi:

RTVE's Olympic budget this time totals 54.5 million euros, while in London the expenses reached the 70 million euros. A "very tight budget" this time. 273 professionals will be part of production with 129 of them will move to Rio de Janeiro. Six of them return after initial installation and other three (members of the bureau in Rio de Janeiro) will be added. The rest (141) work for the Olympics from Spain. To this must be added the technical commentators who support retransmissions performing different modes of the Corporation. The # RíoRTVE team will be led by Eladio Jareño and five other directors: the news director Jose Antonio Alvarez Gundín; media director, David Valcarce; Interactive Media Director Alejandro Vega; Sports director Yolanda Garcia Cuevas; and Teledeporte director María José Malia. Gundin will move to Rio within a week:
http://prnoticias.com/television/tve/20154752-eladio-jareno-directivos-tve-polemica-jjoo-rio
  • Like 1

Most of the promos I've seen use the line "on the networks of NBC Universal." To be fair, I've been watching a lot of the Tour de France, so I'm spending a lot of time on NBCSN. The oddity there is that they talk about coverage starting on August 5th, so yes, they are somewhat ignoring the soccer games the 2 days before. I can't speak to having watched much of USA or MSNBC, so I don't doubt you're right about those networks.

And did the USA basketball games on NBCSN get promoted by NBCSN? I get what you're saying about the secondary and tertiary networks being promoted elsewhere, but 2 of those networks (Bravo and CNBC) were specific to an individual sport. So their appeal is limited. There's only so much time you can spend on promoting coverage. Although again, to be fair, when cable coverage of the Olympics started getting really serious in 2004 and 2006, they were better about then about laying out events and schedules on the cable nets. I think the deal now is that they rely more online for that, probably in part to drive people to that coverage as well.

Okay.. and of those 90%+ of American Olympic viewers, how many of them would be watching preliminary round soccer matches even if they know about them? I don't think viewership of those games is hurt significantly by the lack of promotion. Could NBC do a better job of pointing those out? Sure. But again, the Olympics are a marathon of coverage. Only so much time viewers (particularly those not already in tune with Olympic soccer and the cable elements) are going to be able to spend watching the Olympics.

Bullshit. USA basketball matches "only" averaged 2.6 million viewers? Do you know how many events on NBCSN draw more than that? NBCSN had 2 games of the Stanley Cup Finals this year (speaking of signature events on NBCSN that have 2 months of lead-up with the playoffs that you know got heavy promotion). One of those drew 2.8 million viewers and the other drew 2.5 million. Those are for championship level events, not preliminary round games. 2.6 million is a huge audience for NBCSN. Being a cable network and not a broadcast network means they're never going to get the audience that NBC does. That's not a lack of promotion. That's the nature of television viewing. You talk about bridging daytime to primetime.. between 7 hours of daytime and 4 hours of primetime, how many people want another 3 hours of Olympic coverage? Not to mention NBCSN is on all morning/afternoon themselves anyway.

I think you're setting the bar far too high for the cable nets. You're looking at viewership levels of NBC versus NBCSN and think it's about the promotion, but that's not the case. No amount of promotion is going to get anything near network-level audiences on cable. And that's not just because of the fewer number of people who have cable as opposed to who have access to NBC. That's just the reality of television viewing patterns. Look at the numbers on the cable nets compared to their audience for any other programming. If they can repeat what they got from London, they'll be thrilled. That you think they can do much better is unrealistic, and it's not the level of promotion that makes it that way.

Looking at the Stanley Cup ratings, it looks like NBCSN held onto 57% of the viewers that watched the game on NBCSN (NBC average-4.68 million; NBCSN average-2.65 million). Recall also, that basketball is far more popular than hockey in the United States. The NBA finals this year averaged 20.28 million viewers. If preliminary round coverage of sports that are less popular (for the most part) and shown at a time with less potential viewers could must 7 million viewers, then yes I do think NBCSN could have mustered over 3 million viewers with more promotion.

I must say the recent developments regarding the host Brazilian Rio 2016 Olympic TV broadcasters not named SporTV and Globo TV, ESPN Brasil, Fox Sports Brazil are very disappointing. Mind you, Record has got some stuff like who will cover the sports and Olympic sports news. But by now being in the host nation, we should have some multiple concrete material from them by now. Like for example, we still do not know exactly how many TV hours Record and Band will produce and air for this. Hell, we still don't know about BandSports' overall coverage plans. We get it now in part: Globo, Record, and Bandeirantes all adore telenovelas, a massive Brazilian TV institution that brings massive TV ratings for the networks for years and outright refuse to sacrifice them in favor of more wall-to-wall coverage no matter temporary the Olympics are--still strongly believe 160 hours on Globo is still rather low for a free-to-air host TV network at a time when TV networks are increasing their coverage and always had; the 200+ hour plateau would be more appropriate. But I'm not part of them. However, Globo and SporTV are miles ahead of their competitors when it comes to putting out public info on a periodical basis on their Rio 2016 coverage plans, the most ambitious and massive in Brazilian TV history. Bigger than the FIFA World Cup two years ago for them. Maybe Record and Band are working on all one-stop press releases to remedy this.

The BANDEIRANTES TV will probably make a big coverage when referring to transmission time. The channel is always more open space for sporting events on the schedule.
But what happens is that BANDEIRANTES and TV RECORD TV is afraid of TV GLOBO. The reason for the fear is the globe's ability to suck the public.
Last Sunday, while 42 million Brazilians saw Euro'16 on TV GLOBO Band was 14 million.
With three channels dividing broadcasting rights fear the other two is losing public compared to normal days.
The RECORD TV has a high audience in prime time (19.00 23.59), the fear is that with three channels transmitting and sharing the same public about little BANDEIRANTES and RECORD. SBT will not display the games, and the RECORD TV probably will not accept losing to the SBT at the hearing.
BAND to achieve with the medium events 8000000-10000000 views is enough. For the Record is at least twice.
The TV GLOBO will show 160 hours, but the station will likely focus on volleyball, gymnastics and football most of the time. I think GLOBO will open a large space in the schedule. It is not appropriate, but enough.
The olympic climate depends on the TV GLOBO, and she is very involved. Today the station has more alone audience than the RECORD TV, SBT TV and BAND added.

Do you think NBC has no control over the schedule? in Seoul, when they had some of the swimming races involving Janet Evans and Matt Biondi, some of the track and field, and even the diving that were scheduled for the morning in Seoul, which network did that? NBC. It's NBC that sometimes scheduled a US hockey game during the past two winter games for the afternoon US time too so they didn't conflict with figure skating in Primetime, and NBC had the gymnastics and swimming in the 08 games in the morning for the same reason: so they could be seen live in Primetime in the east. However, NBC has to make changes to their sports lineup and their daytime schedule too to accommodate the Olympics. Why would they preempt Days Of Our Lives? why would they move some of the Winston Cup and even Busch Races to CNBC or USA Network? it's because are devoting their resources and time to the Olympics.

Please read my post again and don't omit an important word. I said NBC had no control over the soccer schedule. I'm well aware of what NBC has done in the past with the schedule. You know I know all that. CBS also had some power as well when they had the Winter Olympics, so it's not just NBC. That said, there have been times where NBC made schedule requests that they didn't get. And no.. NBC is almost all in on the Olympics, but during Sochi, they had some commitments to Premier League soccer that ate into potential Olympic time. Same thing will happen here on the cable nets as well.

Looking at the Stanley Cup ratings, it looks like NBCSN held onto 57% of the viewers that watched the game on NBCSN (NBC average-4.68 million; NBCSN average-2.65 million). Recall also, that basketball is far more popular than hockey in the United States. The NBA finals this year averaged 20.28 million viewers. If preliminary round coverage of sports that are less popular (for the most part) and shown at a time with less potential viewers could must 7 million viewers, then yes I do think NBCSN could have mustered over 3 million viewers with more promotion.

You can't look at the ratings of the NBA Finals (which this year was a 7 game series featuring the 2 of the most, if not the 2 most popular players in the game) and expect to use that info to predict the ratings for Olympic basketball, which takes place in the middle of a sea of other sports. Look at what Olympic hockey draws compared to the Stanley Cup.

There's a reason NFL games on broadcast networks get far better ratings than games on cable. Or why games on ESPN always out-rate those on NFL Network. Promotion is part of it, but it's about the built-in audience of these networks. NBC being a broadcast network has the widest reach. NBCSN, not quite as much. Again, you can't look at the content of what's on (i.e. what sports are being shown) and then that's going to determine the rating. How many people out there don't give a rat's ass about swimming, yet during the Olympics they turn out in the tens of millions. And even if you think they could have drawn more viewers to NBCSN, that would likely have come at the expense of the number of viewers watching NBC.

I think some good news is they will allow streaming of NBC and other networks this time, therefore if you live on the West Coast like me, you can stream NBC's primetime coverage during the East Coast block and see all the marquee events live, I did it for the Trials and the streaming was actually pretty good!

Sorry to the growing legion of digital cord-cutters. Funny thing is, the unmentioned Playstation Vue and the XBOX One is a TV Everywhere supporter of NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra streaming site. This also confirms NBC will utilize the world OBS feeds for many of the events that are online-only rather than televised on NBC's 11 Olympic TV channels. Also think that NBC/Comcast is a little clueless because anyone with a connected device can watch any event he or she can watch anywhere for free, live or on-demand. Once the Games start, it has no 100% control over what happens. Some don't want to watch just highlight wrap-up programming:
http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/nbc-olympics-digital-video-cord-cutters-1201812644/

Nancy Armour from USA Today agrees with us here in wanting NBC, who regard the Opening Ceremony as one of its apexes of interests, to show the Opening Ceremony live. Both the CBC, which pokes a little fun at NBC delaying the OC on Twitter, and the BBC promise to show it live. If you live in Detroit, Buffalo, and Seattle, you certainly have that advantage to watch it on TV live as it happens from the other side of the border. But the CBC is a crown corporation that isn't as reliant on the advertising. Even less so with the BBC--with no commercials at all from the Beeb! So what if NBC execs regard the Opening Ceremony as a non-sport event that deserves a 1-hour delay? But it's got athletes in it marching and mingling and interviewing! Still a part of the Olympics and sports. Yes, it's a business for NBC. I mean, Russia's got far more time zones than the USA does, and even Channel One, Match! TV/Rossiya 1, and NTV Plus are all showing that live from Moscow/St. Petersburg all the way to Novosibirsk and Chelyabinsk. Leaves us with the impression that, unless the Opening Ceremony is somewhere set between 8-9pm US ET on the east coast for NBC, it won't even bother placing it live. And they have the nerve to discuss "color and pagentry" needing context beforehand? Don't mind if I have to watch it live at 6pm CT, but something tells me lots of NBC affiliates want to have that 6:30pm time slot for lucrative syndicated programming following the local news. Americans would know that Brazil has lots of both (see Carnival, samba, the beaches, the Bahia homes, and the soccer atmosphere); though for many of us it wouldn't hurt to learn about its history better:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2016/07/12/nbc-opening-ceremony-olympics-rio-delay-one-hour/87000530/

ESPN Brazil's latest and excellent Olympic TV spot, produced by Africa, uses lots of archival Olympic footage (with some Brazilian athletes) and in some cases projected onto ESPN sportscasting figures at empty and dark Brazilian venues at nighttime and quickie images. The spot, entitled Sentir ("Feel"), features ESPN Brasil personalities Everaldo Marques, Paulo Soares, former Olympic athletes and ESPN Brazil commentators like Ana Moser, Ze Elias, Mauricio Lima, and Rogério Sampaio that also invites viewers to feel the sensation of the Olympics and, to quote ESPN Brazil's Head of Marketing Sarah Buchwitz, act as "an invitation to sports fans to follow the Rio 2016 Games on ESPN. Who lives the sport know that ESPN is dedicated to various forms every day, all the time, not just every four years at the Olympic period," when they start in August:

Online it's 2400 hours of live/mobile/on-demand content from France Televisions. None whatsoever from Canal+ but will have 800 TV hours on three channels. For France Televisions, Mathieu Lartot will be responsible for the animation of the first tranche of the day, on France 3 from 13h and then on France 2 from 14h. Afterwards it will be taken over by Laurent Luyat from 18h on France 2 with Cédric Beaudou being responsible for the night session from 23h. During the Olympics on Canal +, the Olympic broadcasting day will start at 13:15 with that segment anchored by Isabelle Ithurburu. From 16h to midnight (4pm-12am), the duo of Hervé Mathoux and Laurie Delhostal which will take over afterwards with Marina Lorenzo and Thomas Senecal will be responsible later for the evening segments. On other Canal+ Olympic channels, it is mainly François Trillo, Karim Bennani and Ludovic Deroin who will orchestrate broadcasts at the studio. Note that, given the time difference, the two groups will offer the morning a complete summary or full replay of events that will be held during the night:
http://www.linternaute.com/sport/autre/1318756-programme-tv-jo-2016-le-calendrier-de-diffusion-des-chaines/

Also on NHK's main channel on August 3 from 10:25-11:15, it will show a Rio Olympics Cheer. Its E Tele will have a live simulcast of the Opening Ceremony. But its time will be earlier than NHK's 8:40pm time at 7:30pm with perhaps a preview beforehand.

• Like 1

In Portugal a video portal and exclusive multimedia content (only in PT) :

Interesting:

"The Olympic Committee of Portugal (COP) launched today a video portal and exclusive multimedia content in partnership with Sapo. The new address of the COP was created thinking about the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, approaching with great strides, so you have new daily articles on the Portuguese athletes, their preparation and more personal testimonies.

The COP channel comes in anticipation of a similar international project. By the end of the year, the International Olympic Committee will launch the Olympic Channel, also an online platform for everyone. In the Portuguese case, the focus will be given to athletes who will represent Portugal in Brazil but also to all those who have represented the country in previous years. The COP channel, the frog, will also have information on the characteristics and rules of the different modalities.

The journalist Cecilia Carmo is responsible for coordinating the project that could form the basis for other journalistic work of the media partners of the COP (RTP and Sport TV)."

http://canalcop.sapo.pt/reportagens/iniciativa/artigos/direto

http://canalcop.sapo.pt/reportagens/pessoas/artigos/desejos-para-os-jogos-olimpicos-rio-2016

Interesting:

"The Olympic Committee of Portugal (COP) launched today a video portal and exclusive multimedia content in partnership with Sapo. The new address of the COP was created thinking about the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, approaching with great strides, so you have new daily articles on the Portuguese athletes, their preparation and more personal testimonies.

The COP channel comes in anticipation of a similar international project. By the end of the year, the International Olympic Committee will launch the Olympic Channel, also an online platform for everyone. In the Portuguese case, the focus will be given to athletes who will represent Portugal in Brazil but also to all those who have represented the country in previous years. The COP channel, the frog, will also have information on the characteristics and rules of the different modalities.

The journalist Cecilia Carmo is responsible for coordinating the project that could form the basis for other journalistic work of the media partners of the COP (RTP and Sport TV)."

http://canalcop.sapo.pt/reportagens/pessoas/artigos/desejos-para-os-jogos-olimpicos-rio-2016

"the frog" means SAPO

Interesting:

"the frog" means SAPO

https://www.facebook.com/comiteolimpicoportugal/videos/810926732375041/

I could be wrong, but I believe the '10 men's gold medal match is still the highest rated hockey game ever shown on US teevee.

I think the 1980 game versus Finland had a slightly bigger audience, but the gold medal game in 2010 isn't far behind.

Do we know yet if NBC will make the OBS feed available for streaming for sports that will be shown live in prime time (i.e., swimming and athletics)?

Yes. That practice ended after Beijing. For London, all of the competition was streamed live and NBC has said the same will be true in Rio. Events shown live will not be excluded. Didn't really specify what feed they might use though.

Considering NBC has a great abundance of its own hi-tech video cameras to use at every venue and in multiple areas and this Olympics is at a more usable time zone for NBC, I can see a fusion between their feed and the OBS' for the streaming. Just that we won't always see the Rio OBS logo at the beginning or the end.

Now with this post here, there will be a devoted focus on the Latin American Rio 2016 Olympic media developments. No doubt inspired by the aforementioned Spanish version of Wikipedia's List of 2016 Summer Olympics Broadcasters entry, which had a lots of unconfirmed listings with no links to refer to for various Latin American, Asian, and African nations' broadcasters than the English counterparts. So there's still updates from this realm yet to be confirmed in the following weeks.

TyC Sports is one Latin American Olympic broadcasting media entity that I can officially confirm to start off with this really good TV spot. The indigeniously Argentina sports TV powerhouse certainly did not want to be omitted from the first South American-held Olympics when its major sports TV rivals there ESPN Latin America, FOX Sports Latin America, and Claro Sports (each have its Argentina headquarters and studios in Buenos Aires) all taking it up themselves as they all, including TyC Sports, managed to get the America Movil Olympic sublicensing. No doubt TyC Sports' focus will be on the Argentina Olympic Team in Rio De Janeiro, perhaps more so than what ESPN, FOX Sports, and Claro Sports will do. In this TyC Sports promo we see plenty of Argentina's athletes in order of appearance pole vaulter German Chiaraviglio, the Gladiators men's handball team, discus thrower Rocio Comba, javelin thrower Braian Toledo, swimmer Frederico Grabich, Las Pumas 7 rugby, the women's handball team, shot putter German Lauro, London 2012 silver medalist Las Leonas field hockey team, hammer thrower Jennifer Dahlgren, the men's basketball team's Golden Generation (like Scola, Ginobili, Noccioni), London 2012 taekwondo gold medalist Sebastian Chrismanich, tennis player Juan Martin del Porto, Las Panteras women's volleyball team, judoka Paula Pareto, the (mostly) U23 men's soccer team, slalom canoeist Sebastian Rossi, boxer Alberto Melian, and beach volleyball player Ana Gallay. We see them in recent performance footage like mostly London 2012, the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, Beijing 2008, and the FIBA Americas last year preparing for the moment of triumphs, their letdowns, competing, struggles, celebrations, and with their medals in some cases. The song for is called Que Hable De Vos, which says, if I can translate this correctly, I Speak For You

TyC Sports already has a typical Olympic preview show called Rumbo a Rio (Road To Rio) going on right now. But its Rio 2016 broadcasting plans, as reported by John Wade, TyC Sports' Manager of Production and Programming, are that the Argentina sports TV behemoth TyC Sports will send a special envoy made up of 60 people among journalists, producers and technicians with more than five tons of equipment, including technical and set design, to transmit all programming with a designated IBC studio of 100sq m with all the comforts of where all the programming will come from. In addition, TyC will have another 100sq m space where the production area, central control, control study, two editing islands, and web copywriting will be displayed. Also, it will own six cameras, six units of mobile transmission, and an additional mobile unit that will be added outside for every Argentina football team match. Among the most important developments within the Olympic Village is having a fixed camera available 24 hours so that Argentina's athletes can speak to the audience, leaving greetings, messages to their loved ones, etc., something it already conducted in the last Pan American Games and was a total success. Rio 2016 programming will 24/7 every day, 24 hours will be allocated to the transmission of the Olympic Games on multiple channels, with more than 17 hours live from Brazil under the leadership of journalist Gonzalo Bonadeo as studio anchor. As something to carry over for several years with past Olympic Games, World Cups, and Pan American Games, it'll be live whenever the viewer eats breakfast and even when you go to bed. And the results are obvious in the ratings. My guess as to which TyC Sports channels will be TyC 2-4, as there will be a new one solely for Rio 2016 and can total up to 1000+ in hours on TV.

Alongside the proposal for making digital screen coverage with the opening of parallel channels of information and transmission of live events. As it did in the Pan American Games in Toronto, through the platform TyCSports Play lends access to multiscreen coverage which will open up to eight alternative digital channels to broadcast live and simultaneously all competitions that were developed at the same time. TyCSports also be dedicated to coverage of the minute of the Olympic Games, with news, information and much exclusive audiovisual material generated daily by all journalists envoys allow us to show the B - side event and promote interaction with the user in the social media and networking realm:
http://www.todotvnews.com/news/juan-wade-tyc-sports-jjoo.rio.2016.html#sthash.uEQs0Sux.dpuf

Although geographically located and surrounded by the Spanish-speaking Latin American nations like its Central American neighbors, Belize is more culturally alligned with its fellow Commonwealth West Indies nations/territories due to its English-speaking nature. Anyway, it's now reported a couple days ago that Channel 5 acquired the Belizean free-to-air Rio 2016 Olympic TV rights from CANOC/ESPN as a CBU member and agrees to air at least 200 hours and produce 12 hours a day using its own talent and analysts for the 17 days with the promise to showcase a Caribbean bent on the coverage instead of using NBC's (annoying to many there in that region) US bias:
http://www.sportcal.com/Media/News/Detail/105099

With this announcement, it was also made public in Belize that fellow free-to-air Belize TV channel Channel 7 will share in the full length Rio 2016 coverage under the same agreement:
http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=36964

RTVE from Spain will present 4500 hours of live programming and 6000 Video On Demand (VOD) hours in up to 19 live signals so that users do not miss anything and choose what to see at all times. In addition, videoencuentros with the protagonists, tests that are not included in television and exclusive content developed by the special envoys of RTVE Digital. TVE's Olympic broadcasting of 600 hours will be represented by La 1, Teledeporte 1, Teledeporte 2, and sometimes Canal 24 Horas. For La 1's 12-hour daily coverage, which will also carry both ceremonies co-hosted by Paloma del Rio and Amat Carceller, it starts at 15:00 (3pm Spain time) with a sports newscast live from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil with TD1's Sergio Sauca and TD2's Jesus Alvarez. In the afternoon, Jesus Cebrian and David Figueira are in charge of the program at 16-17:00 with a summary and progress of the day program. Afterwards from 17-21:00, with connections to different competitions. At night from 22-4:00 following a news break from the TD2, María Escario and Juan Carlos Rivero take over with advancing news, issues, interviews, and major events live. Teledeporte will become the Olympic channel par excellence and fully devote its programming to what entirely happens in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. From 14:00 to 05:00, live and continuity programming from the set with Rogeli Vázquez and Africa de Miguel, and in the morning reissues of the most important tests. In addition, starting from day 2, 'TDP-Rio Connection' from Copacabana. Canal 24 Horas perform daily live connections, while La 2 emissions tests include sporadically in case of coincidence of important events. A first for Spanish Olympic transmission is the debut of all signals made available from any device: web, mobile phone, tablet and via the Red Button televisions, connected smart TVs, even for smartwatches with the latest news and the medal of the competition. Users can also follow everything that happens in Rio through social networks with a wide following and exclusive content. RNE on the radio side will have more than 120 hours of programming live so listeners won't miss the most important news. Every day, RNE Mornings include an overview and progress of the day; in 'Journal of the two' block direct from Rio; and entries in gazettes from the 15-4:00 time slot. Manu Martinez and Jorge Duato put forward the 'Special Rio 2016' which, from 20-22:00, brings listeners closer to Radio Nacional's Olympic days. On Radio 5, 'Special Rio 2016', from 18:00-18:30, and Radio Exterior, inside 'The costumes', from 13:00 to 14:00. Also includes the live broadcast of the most prominent Spanish participation, relevant events from other disciplines as well as the opening and closing ceremonies.

RTVE, which will be involved in the OBS production of both cycling and mountain bike feeds, will send a team of 129 people to join the 3 RTVE correspondents already present in Rio De Janeiro including commentators and technical directors who will move to their designated 400 m2 space inside the IBC (International Broadcasting Center) for technical means of recording and signal distribution, digital writing, interview area, workspaces and radio studio. In addition, TVE will also have another studio in the privileged Copacabana Beach spot from which all Olympic information will be conducted. RTVE's professionals can report from anywhere where the news occurs through the use of backpacks and ENG equipment. An additional team of 141 people will remain in Madrid, Spain. It will also join the VR realm with with 'Heroines: Live River', an app with five stories to experience firsthand the training of some of the great Spanish assets in Rio. Athletes Gemma Mengual and Ona Carbonell dive with users in the pool to explain how they feel and train ahead of the big event in world sport. Maialen Chorraut, bronze in London; Beatriz Ferrer-Salat, in his sixth Olympic participation; the Spanish set of rhythmic gymnastics, which has risen for the first time in 17 years to an Olympic podium; and the national rugby team, a sport that returns 80 years later, are the other protagonists of this series of immersive stories. Available July 20:
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20160712/rtve-celebra-juegos-olimpicos-mas-digitales-5000-horas-directo-todas-pantallas/1370041.shtml

Pedro Carcuro and Karen Doggenweiler both headline TVN Chile's Rio 2016 Olympic sportscasting team with Gustavo Huerta, Manuel de Tezanos, Jorge Hevia, and a team of other commentators and analysts that includes numerous Chileans athletes in various sports, some still active with others retired, in the exclusive Chilean live terrestrial Olympic TV coverage that starts on August 4 with 3 live men's soccer matches starting at 3pm Chile time (Brazil vs. South Africa, Argentina vs. Portugal, and Mexico vs. Germany). Too bad Los Rojas, the defending Copa America champions, aren't there to participate in the Olympics with the U23 squad in that will obviously drum up interest even further. Even the Olympic rings are lit up at TVN's Santiago headquarters:
http://www.24horas.cl/deportes/rio2016/noticias/de-lujo-estos-seran-los-especialistas-que-comentaran-los-juegos-olimpicos-en-tvn-2073218
https://deportes.terra.cl/juegos-olimpicos/argollas-olimpicas-adornan-fachada-de-tvn,6cda4a06e45c09b38f3218b047fbe906nfy67qcc.html

TVN's newest Rio 2016 promo really is imported from one of the current IOC's PSAs, except for that one quickie shot of fans in the stands with a Chilean flag forest, the TVN female voiceover, and the official Olympic channel ID at the end

Possible that RCN Radio could conduct the Colombian radio broadcasting of Rio 2016. But I'm not certain that will be the case. If it would it will place priority upon the largest Colombian team ever in its programming with the likes of Jossimar Calvo, Mariana Pajon, Nairo Quintana, the Colombian men's and women's soccer teams, Caterine Ibarguen Mena, and Oscar Figueroa. Moreover, Caracol TV had only carry the Cafeteros/Seleccion Olympic soccer matches instead with Caracol Radio like it did with the men's soccer matches because despite sharing the name, both the TV and radio arms are actually owned by different media entities. But looks as though peace is settled between the two. It's a shame that Yoreli Rincon is out of Rio 2016 with a fibula injury. Maybe she could be added on as an expert who knows the team:
http://www.rcnradio.com/deportes/ciclismo/la-hora-de-colombia-calendario-de-los-deportistas-nacionales-en-los-olimpicos-de-rio/
http://www.portafolio.co/negocios/empresas/caracol-radio-caracol-television-buscan-terminar-conflicto-493447

• Like 1

NBC would've liked to have some star power for golf's Olympic return for its coverage. And Mark Lazarus says the opted-out golfers will regret not taking part in Rio in the aftermath of the British Open with NBC hosting that too but feels confident with those already confirmed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/14/sports/golf/british-open-royal-troon-nbc-golf-channel.html?_r=0

Kerry Walsh-Jennings has a new documentary out on NBC July 31 at 3pm CT:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/kerri-walsh-jennings-documentary-premier-july-31

Several Ithaca College students will head to Rio to help as NBC Olympics interns:

http://www.ithaca.edu/news/releases/students-head-to-rio-to-assist-with-nbc-olympics-coverage-41872/#.V4g9AaL3TwA