Rio 2016 Olympic Media Update

That certainly came in rather early! I did expect some color and that Brazilian music like with the FIFA 2014 intro. But it's all animation with no mix of live action athletes. Looks like the OBS got a logo rebranding too, partly to coincide with the timing of the upcoming Olympic Channel debut.

:o

Its always struck me as interesting that ESPN shows the FIFA ident for the world cup and their own world cup ident. However, NBC only ever shows their own Olympic ident and ignore the OBS one.

3 things come to mind..

1) It may be a matter of contracts that FIFA requires broadcasters to show the ident.

2) NBC is producing a lot of their own coverage at the Olympics as opposed to relying on the world feed. If they're not using OBS video, they wouldn't show the ident.

3) The nature of the Olympics, especially with NBC, is that they're often jumping in and out of coverage of events. Contrast that to the World Cup where you're more likely seeing a game and broadcast in full from start to finish.

Tiago Splitter won't play for hosts Brazil in the Rio 2016 basketball because of his hip surgery recovery while in the NBA for the Atlanta Hawks not being fully fit. Although disappointed and his absence huge, he will be there in his home nation to analyze basketball on Globo TV and SporTV with Hortencia Macari since he has inside knowledge of the national team and the international game. Splitter's already did some Spanish radio Atlanta Hawks games:

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/news/splitter-to-work-courtside-for-brazilian-tv-at-olympics

That certainly came in rather early! I did expect some color and that Brazilian music like with the FIFA 2014 intro. But it's all animation with no mix of live action athletes. Looks like the OBS got a logo rebranding too, partly to coincide with the timing of the upcoming Olympic Channel debut.

:o

I guess it could potentially just be an OBS Rio 2016 promo as opposed to the ident, it does seem a little early. I loved London's, the music was fantastic too.

I guess it could potentially just be an OBS Rio 2016 promo as opposed to the ident, it does seem a little early. I loved London's, the music was fantastic too.

Maybe so. But it sure does look convincing as the OBS intro. I like London's edition too with the design and music

3 things come to mind..

1) It may be a matter of contracts that FIFA requires broadcasters to show the ident.

2) NBC is producing a lot of their own coverage at the Olympics as opposed to relying on the world feed. If they're not using OBS video, they wouldn't show the ident.

3) The nature of the Olympics, especially with NBC, is that they're often jumping in and out of coverage of events. Contrast that to the World Cup where you're more likely seeing a game and broadcast in full from start to finish.

I'll add this related tidbit too. When NBC produces its own coverage with the millions utitlized, NBC's promotion and advertising for the Olympics is obviously very large in the budget overall for both English and Spanish combined. Certainly true of many well-off broadcasters around the world in varying degrees. Thus the OBS intro isn't needed. Now for many Olympics broadcasters in nations with far smaller promotion budgets and can't get varied with it like NBC or, say, Seven in Australia or Globo/SporTV in Brazil, this OBS intro not only will serve as the beginning and ending to a full event but doubles as a promo for the Games in the days leading up to it in an act of adopting (like with Azerbaijan's ITV).

Even if NBC never jumps in and out of events coverage (like in more full-event segments we Americans will see on NBC Sports Network and MSNBC), the OBS intro will never get used by NBC Olympics because it will instantly cut to the announcers at the venue from its IBC studios but with a brief shot of the venue scene (or aerial shot in some cases) to begin with and later have the postgame interviews and analysis that will surely last longer than event itself that would more than override the OBS intro placement for signing off.

Dtd2, FOX Sports now holds the English language broadcasting rights to the FIFA World Cup events in the USA starting with last year's Women's World Cup up to 2022.

The BBC will unleash a new app that will allow personalization of your collection of more advanced content in time for summer like the Olympics and Euro 2016 called BBC+:

http://www.tvbeurope.com/bbc-app-will-bring-personalised-bbc/

400+ live hours of the popular Olympic sports to Hong Kong fans will shown on TV through its three TVB channels Jade, Pearl, and J5. 2000+ live hours and highlights of Rio 2016 will be also watched on TVB's new platform and its Netflix answer myTV Super that will get used online, mobile, smart TVs:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=168761

RTS will provide to its longstanding partner NBC Olympics broadcast intercom systems and support for the production of its Olympic content:

http://www.tvbeurope.com/rts-to-aid-nbc-at-rio-2016/

Never mind the fact the two large Mexican media companies won't carry the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics. They couldn't come to an agreement with America Movil to join Canal 22 and Canal 11. But there was a history of impasse or acrimony four years ago stemming from TV advertising rates and telephone interconnected rates. Won't hurt the two ratings-wise or advertising revenue since El Tri matters more to Mexicans than the Olympics. TAs I previously say here, the advertising rates and sales never caught up with the increasing programming and production costs over the last decade.

Which reflects on the decrease in the FTA hours on both entities. Televisa has says it will provide news coverage of the Summer Olympics

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mexicos-top-broadcasters-forgo-airing-rio-olympics-1462568887

ZDF and ARD (Das Erste) will have their joint press conference on May 24, that's next Tuesday, in Hamburg to officially announce their live Rio 2016 Summer Olympic coverage plans with many personalities from both channels schedule to appear and participate:
http://www.presseportal.de/pm/22512/3324220

Situation in Mexico reveals a little more complexity with America Movil thinking, as far as the Olmypics are concerned, digital is where it's at and to get the Millenials towards the Olympics. Agreed to an extent:
http://www.milenio.com/negocios/ftmercados-Olimpiadas-Slim-claro_video-negocios_0_733726821.html
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.milenio.com/negocios/ftmercados-Olimpiadas-Slim-claro_video-negocios_0_733726821.html&prev=search

Thanks for the responses. I know Fox has the rights to the World Cup now, but I couldn't remember if Fox showed the international ident because I vividly remember the Brazilian boy from the 2014 World Cup.

My apologies in advance if this has already been discussed, but do we think its possible we could get coverage across 10 or so channels in the US. I say this since NBC won't have too much time to package their daytime coverage and primetime coverage. Other than gymnastics in primetime, it'll be happening in real time.

I see on Saturday the EPL is being shown across 10 channels in the US. NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC, CNBC, and Bravo were all used four years ago. USA was used at the last winter Olympics and Oxygen was used in 2008. And of course Golf will be used this year. Syfy shows pro wrestling which obviously has nothing to do with the network's name. Esquire and E! are also being used for the EPL and I think they could be good additions for the Olympics also.

This is what I think the general schedule of sports across the channels could look like

NBC: Gymnastics (US subdivision and finals +highlights of other events), Swimming, Track & Field, Diving, Beach Volleyball (US Matches and Medal Matches), Cycling (Mostly highlights), Basketball (Gold Medal matches), Volleyball (US Matches+Gold Medal matches), Water Polo (US Matches and Medal matches), Rowing (highlights), Canoeing (highlights)

NBCSN: Basketball (US Matches, Marquee group play games, and Playoffs), Women's Soccer (US matches, marquee group matches, & playoffs), Tennis (Medal matches), Cycling (longform), Rugby Sevens, Volleyball (Playoffs), Triathlon, Shooting, Table Tennis (medals), Women's Field Hockey (US matches)

MSNBC: Volleyball (Non-US matches), Women's Basketball (Less significant group play games), Fencing, Badminton, Table Tennis (early rounds), Modern Pentathlon, Handball (Playoffs)

CNBC: Boxing

Bravo: Tennis (Non-medal matches)

Golf: Golf

USA: Men's Basketball (Less significant group play games), Archery, Rowing (longform), Canoeing (longform), Wrestling (longform), Men's & Women's Soccer (Less significant matches)

Oxygen: Equestrian, Women's Field Hockey (Non-US matches)

SyFy: Taekwondo, Judo, Weightlifting

E!: Gymnastics (longform of Artistic Preliminary non-US subdivisions, Rhythmic Gymnastics, and Trampoline), Beach Volleyball (Non-US matches), Synchronized Swimming

Esquire: Water Polo (Non-US matches), Men's Soccer (Less significant matches), Handball (group play), Sailing, Men's Field Hockey

Thanks for the responses. I know Fox has the rights to the World Cup now, but I couldn't remember if Fox showed the international ident because I vividly remember the Brazilian boy from the 2014 World Cup.

My apologies in advance if this has already been discussed, but do we think its possible we could get coverage across 10 or so channels in the US. I say this since NBC won't have too much time to package their daytime coverage and primetime coverage. Other than gymnastics in primetime, it'll be happening in real time.

I see on Saturday the EPL is being shown across 10 channels in the US. NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC, CNBC, and Bravo were all used four years ago. USA was used at the last winter Olympics and Oxygen was used in 2008. And of course Golf will be used this year. Syfy shows pro wrestling which obviously has nothing to do with the network's name. Esquire and E! are also being used for the EPL and I think they could be good additions for the Olympics also.

This is what I think the general schedule of sports across the channels could look like

NBC: Gymnastics (US subdivision and finals +highlights of other events), Swimming, Track & Field, Diving, Beach Volleyball (US Matches and Medal Matches), Cycling (Mostly highlights), Basketball (Gold Medal matches), Volleyball (US Matches+Gold Medal matches), Water Polo (US Matches and Medal matches), Rowing (highlights), Canoeing (highlights)

NBCSN: Basketball (US Matches, Marquee group play games, and Playoffs), Women's Soccer (US matches, marquee group matches, & playoffs), Tennis (Medal matches), Cycling (longform), Rugby Sevens, Volleyball (Playoffs), Triathlon, Shooting, Table Tennis (medals), Women's Field Hockey (US matches)

MSNBC: Volleyball (Non-US matches), Women's Basketball (Less significant group play games), Fencing, Badminton, Table Tennis (early rounds), Modern Pentathlon, Handball (Playoffs)

USA: Men's Basketball (Less significant group play games), Archery, Rowing (longform), Canoeing (longform), Wrestling (longform), Men's & Women's Soccer (Less significant matches)

E!: Gymnastics (longform of Artistic Preliminary non-US subdivisions, Rhythmic Gymnastics, and Trampoline), Beach Volleyball (Non-US matches), Synchronized Swimming

Esquire: Water Polo (Non-US matches), Men's Soccer (Less significant matches), Handball (group play), Sailing, Men's Field Hockey

That's interesting to have that proposal expanded. But I would be rightfully shocked if this happened. Very doubtful it will come to fruition since NBC likes to stick to what network it assigns for the coverage on the English side, though some returnees and newcomers won't hurt. Don't forget there will be again those NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels. Can't see SyFy and E! getting into this and thus both are definitely out to me, though seeing some longform artistic preliminary gymnastics not involving the USA would be nice. Those two aren't flat out sports-oriented or accommodating to it. Bravo's going to do all the tennis again. Oxygen can be nice and interesting to have back and would serve as an interesting place to put some longform gymnastics, synchronized swimming, equestrian, and women's field hockey. So that's where I'll put them instead of E! and SyFy--and there needs to be some NBC Universal outlets free from the Olympics. The Esquire Network is equally interesting and could harbor some Olympic programming. Don't know it all that well and didn't know it's part of the NBC Universal/Comcast family. Sailing hasn't found a US Olympic TV home on NBC since Athens and it may be perfect for the sport along with the handball, water polo, field hockey, archery, judo, weightlifting, rowing, and canoeing. USA's sports at this time in August will be those NASCAR/F1 races, I think. Though I'm not counting on it, USA make a NBC Olympics roster comeback for several hours a day.

Again, not seeing all this happening overall, though.

Have the Olympic Basketball and Soccer channels been confirmed again? I agree that SyFy, E!, and Esquire have no real sports presence, but neither do MSNBC, CNBC, or Bravo. With E!, I thought with Ryan Seacreast hosting would potentially be a good crossover with the sports most popular with female viewers. Since SyFy airs pro wrestling, I gave that channel fighting sports and weightlifting. Esquire targets young wealthy males, but is also lowly watched, so I tried to balance those two.

Looking at USA it appears the channel will only show 2 NASCAR races during the Olympics. Interestingly, CNBC is showing one during the Olympics in the afternoon on the first full day of competition. It seems interesting that it wouldn't also air on USA, unless USA is airing Olympic coverage. I also think MSNBC may be given events of greater interest than in past years due to the record ratings cable news channels have been receiving for the presidential election.

Yes and no. The regulars in terms of Olympic coverage will be there.. NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo. Add in Golf Channel. Probably add USA as well. The specialty soccer and basketball channels hopefully are back. And don't forget Telemundo and NBC Universo. There's 11 right there. There's no reason to add Syfy or Esquire, especially if it's for obscure sports like judo. There's enough to go around on the other nets that the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Diehards of those types of sports have online. There's no real need to add more networks on top of what they already have.

Have the Olympic Basketball and Soccer channels been confirmed again? I agree that SyFy, E!, and Esquire have no real sports presence, but neither do MSNBC, CNBC, or Bravo. With E!, I thought with Ryan Seacreast hosting would potentially be a good crossover with the sports most popular with female viewers. Since SyFy airs pro wrestling, I gave that channel fighting sports and weightlifting. Esquire targets young wealthy males, but is also lowly watched, so I tried to balance those two.

Looking at USA it appears the channel will only show 2 NASCAR races during the Olympics. Interestingly, CNBC is showing one during the Olympics in the afternoon on the first full day of competition. It seems interesting that it wouldn't also air on USA, unless USA is airing Olympic coverage. I also think MSNBC may be given events of greater interest than in past years due to the record ratings cable news channels have been receiving for the presidential election.

CNBC has a sports presence. They get overflow motorsports coverage when NBCSN isn't available. And they (along with USA) get a decent number of playoff hockey games. MSNBC and CNBC have been the go-to Olympic cable channels since NBC started showing cable coverage (and obviously that pre-dates the addition of NBCSN by several Olympics). I don't think their roles change dramatically from London. Certainly not to the point where other networks need to come on board.

I just saw a commercial this morning - as in 2014, Comcast subscribers with the X1 DVR will be able to watch the World Feed coverage of all events live on TV as opposed to dealing with NBC Live Extra's sometimes choppy streaming. I didn't have Comcast in 2014, so I'm looking forward to watching events this year without the problems I experienced with the streaming in 2014.

NBC has already announced that all gymnastics will be shown on tape, and we won't be getting live longform coverage on another channel during the day. The only way to watch gymnastics live will be on NBC Olympics Live Extra streaming (and on TV for those with Comcast X1).

Quaker's in agreement with me as far as "the law of diminishing returns kicks in" with the NBC family of Olympic networks. And yes, CNBC's been involved with NBC's Olympic coverage since Sydney 2000 when the Peacock really expanded its TV coverage instead of just keeping it entirely there on NBC proper. Should've done that 20 years back in Atlanta in retrospect so that viewers, for example, can see full games of the US women's soccer team's golden run in Olympic women's soccer's debut.

No reason really to have the Esquire Network (formerly Tech TV then later G4) on the roster despite its upscale image, though something sailing can easily fit there. Much less SyFy and E! Do think the USA Network will join in somehow with its very long sports television track record. Oxygen too has a sports broadcasting history, including the Olympics, but will get passed over. Maybe it'll play a modest role here, but...I again think it's all but confirmed that the NBC Olympic Basketball and Soccer Channels will return; think of all the international NBA and some young soccer stars playing to watch for viewers! Bit of a shame but not surprising that NBC's Rio gymnastics presentation will be tape-delayed and thus chopped and not a longform version forthcoming on another channel. But if you got NBC Sports Live Extra and/or a Comcast X1DVR with Xfinity forthcoming, or increasingly likely a gaming console with app capabilities like the XBOX One and the PS4, none of this matters.

5x Swedish Olympic diver Anna Lindberg, winner of European and World Championship diving medals, headlines the latest wave of Viasat/TV3/TV10's Rio 2016 sportscasters that also completes the roster that includes Jonte Karlsson (basketball), Jörgen Persson (table tennis), Erik Skoglund and Klara Svensson (boxing), Martin Lidberg (wrestling), Fredrik Kessiakoff (cycling, mountain biking), Susanne Ljungskog (cycling), Pontus Kåmark (football), Jonas Mellblom (athletics), Catrin Nilsmark (golf), Veronica Wagner (gymnastics), Martin Frändesjö (handball), Claes Hellgren (handball), Linda Heed (equestrian), Vendela Zachrisson (sailing), Petra Granlund (swimming), Jonas Jacobsson (shooting), Nathalie Larsson (shooting), and Annie Thoren (triathlon). Several of the play-by-play commentators like Matt Egeholm (badminton, weightlifting, water polo, field hockey), Niklas Holmgren (football, canoeing), Claes Andersson (table tennis, taekwondo), Magnus Dahlborn (basketball, boxing), and Lars Sandberg (beach volleyball, volleyball) will conduct multisport tasking being at a studio with a monitor instead of being on location. Also has Viasat's list of reporters on the scene in Rio De Janeiro:
http://www.expressen.se/sport/os2016/anna-lindberg-klar-for-viasats-os-trupp/

When Mexicans and other non-Brazilian Latin Americans head over to Claro Sports's website or app for the Olympics this August, it's emulating the BBC and SporTV with 36 different and live sports streaming channels, where they'll see everything and to choose what they want--and in Spanish and go back for on-demand footage:
http://www.altonivel.com.mx/asi-es-como-claro-sports-te-presentara-los-juegos-olimpicos-56505.html

Amazingly, materially well-off but budget conscious YLE won't engage in HDTV broadcasting until 2020, although it does HDTV channels since 2011 with its own television programming in full HD quality by the end of 2016. So that's why it enlisted the help of DNA, owners of 16 HD channels, to help distribute 4 HD channels free for Rio 2016 Olympics, Euro 2016, and the Eurovision Song Contest on the VHF side:
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/dna-wins-yle-terrestrial-hd-distribution-deal--1142945

NHK President Katsotu Morii said the Blue Samurai's AFC Olympic men's qualification games were shown on NHK's BS1 with the Nadeshiko on the general NHK channel:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/corporateinfo/english/comment_top/president/2016/1601.html

Morii also says later NHK will carry the Opening Ceremony and also showcase Team Japan men's gymnastics team, led by star performer and gold medal hopeful Kohei Uchimura, and consecutive world championship winner Daiya Seto in the men's 400m individual swimming medley final as some of the Japanese athletes and medal hopes whose events it will be broadcasting. NHK will also broadcast many scheduled Olympics events on BS1 and on NHK Radio:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/corporateinfo/english/comment_top/president/2016/1602.html

Shows the history of official NHK Olympic theme songs from Seoul 1988 (skipped Albertville) up to Amuro Namie's "Hero":
http://www1.nhk.or.jp/sports/rio/theme/

ZDF and ZDFInfo will broadcast the 33rd European Swimming Championship May 16-22 in London for Germany:
http://www.presseportal.de/pm/7840/3326165

FreeSat rejects CT Sport to be on HD in its sattelite platform in the Czech Republic. There it lacks a sports channel in the HD stable unlike in Hungary with M4 Sport:
http://www.parabola.cz/zpravicky/26060/freesat-neplanuje-ct-sport-hd-a-sklidil-za-to-kritiku/

250,000 euro will be allocated to lodging for the Lativija Televizije Rio 2016 staff:
http://www.delfi.lv/news/national/politics/ltv-pelnu-sadalis-redakciju-remontam-un-rio-olimpisko-spelu-atspogulosanai.d?id=46840323

And yes, CNBC's been involved with NBC's Olympic coverage since Sydney 2000 when the Peacock really expanded its TV coverage instead of just keeping it entirely there on NBC proper. Should've done that 20 years back in Atlanta in retrospect so that viewers, for example, can see full games of the US women's soccer team's golden run in Olympic women's soccer's debut.

Blame the Triplecast. I've said it plenty of times before.. the Triplecast was simultaneously 1 of the best and 1 of the worst things NBC ever did with the Olympics. Great idea, albeit perhaps a little ahead of its time. But the marketing and the execution were done so horribly, history looks back on it as a disaster. The coverage itself was exactly what that audience, limited as it was, wants. And it should have paved the way for expanded cable coverage and eventually online streaming, but it set back the course of expanded Olympic coverage back quite a ways. CNBC was semi-well established by that point. MSNBC had literally just launched days before the Atlanta Olympics. As opposed to CBS which had a partnership with Turner (and outright sold them a portion of their rights), not sure what NBC would have or could have done with cable coverage from Atlanta had they been interested.

Not a lot of abundant info regarding the CBC's plans for its 100-hour+ 360 virtual reality coverage. We do know that Visa and the IOC are involved in sponsor where those googles and headsets are becoming involved. But you best be sure the marquee and popular events will be included and will be provided like both ceremonies. Oh, and there's going to be 23 live Olympic streams on CBC Sports' website:
http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/cbc-plans-virtual-reality-coverage-of-2016-olympics/278636

Former Dutch judoka silver medalist Edith Bosch teams up with Henry Schut for NOS Studio Olympic Parc's daily evening segment on NPO 1 (or as I still call it Nederland 1) at 11pm Dutch time, often joined by athletes, coaches, and other guests on the set. Erben Wennemars comes on a live reporter. Also it indicates which NOS TV channel the Olympics will be on:
http://nos.nl/artikel/2104712-edith-bosch-sidekick-henry-schut-tijdens-rio-2016.html
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://nos.nl/artikel/2104712-edith-bosch-sidekick-henry-schut-tijdens-rio-2016.html&prev=search
http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5601/TV-Radio/article/detail/4299846/2016/05/13/Oud-judoka-Bosch-debuteert-bij-NOS-in-avondprogramma-Spelen.dhtml

Not everyone in a nation obviously likes or watches the Olympics--and there are certainly those who don't like to have the Olympics constantly shoved their throats. Of course, NBC will gets lots of American viewers to watch the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics who no doubt want to see the USA succeed.with hopes of breaking the London 2012 record viewership. Plus, not every advertiser can pay for the premium rates to air during the Olympics, especially this one in the midst of back to school season. That's one of the nice things about US television, there's an abundance of TV network options out there. Though still very much a large tentpole TV event, these days it's not all out massive one versus the reruns in the summer, out of respect; US summer TV programming has changed a lot since. But as this piece points out, not everyone in the US has a DVR or VOD to cope with this. Even the Discovery Channels, future right European Olympic broadcast rights holders got something up their sleeve during this time:
http://fortune.com/2016/05/13/networks-television-olympics/

Oscar winning filmmaker Morgan Neville directs a documentary in the lead-up to Rio 2016 about four longshot (medalwise) Olympic hopefuls each from a different nations and regions of the world--marathon runner Tsepo Mathibelle from Lesotho in southern Africa; beach volleyball players Miller Pata and Linline Matauatu from Vanautu, a South Pacific island; and boxer Yenebier Guillen Benitez, from the Dominican Republic--all facing severe challenge on the path to the Olympics this August. Neville has the skills to make the relatively unknown subjects into stars, and spent time with and interview them. This is no different. Samsung sponsors this:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2016/03/16/Media/Samsung-doc.aspx

After weeks of searching something about Star Sports' Rio 2016 coverage plans or anything. We do have a Star Sports Rio 2016 promo on its Facebook page at a time India has some serious medal contenders. It's in a mix of India's languages--the men's field hockey team (Hindi mixed with some English), Srikanth Kidambi, Saina Nehwal, and Pursala Sindhu (Hindi), Mary Kom (Meetelion), Deepika Kumari (English). All under the campaign #Isse Bada Kuch Nahi (Nothing Bigger Than This). Judging from this promo, we will see the Star Sports coverage in at least 3-6 languages across the South Asian continent. I notice there's no Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Bengali, Nepalanese, Maldivian, or Bhutanese athletes. But this is very likely to be just shown in India and maybe Pakistan. Star Sports' Rio 2016 coverage details are very forthcoming:
https://www.facebook.com/starsportsindia/videos/828380287306512/

But there's criticism about the promo. However, IMO the author is a little naive about all this. Fact is, India is rising as a global power and of influence. And the Olympics are a soft power way to make its presence felt internationally. So of course a nation like India aspires to win, build its Olympic pedigree, and compete effectively and not just round out the numbers in the fields of competiton; the nation's got some serious medal contenders But unlike the bigger nations right now, it does not boast of too many Olympic medal winners who are household names. But that argument is self-defeating in the context of providing ongoing impetus to and developing the profile of Indian sports. Naturally, Star Sports wants to focus on the top Olympic sports stars from that region
http://video.scroll.in/807661/watch-star-sports-seems-to-have-missed-the-very-point-of-the-olympics-with-this-ad

Brisbane's Daily Courier-Mail has a nice subsection of Olympic news articles and columns:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/olympics-2016