Rio 2016 Olympic Media Update

Here you go, Quaker2001. It was the week before that Charlotte meet. Why can't he quit while he's still ahead?

http://www.thewrap.com/7-things-scene-and-heard-at-nbcs-upfront-event/

Why can't he swim in Rio if he thinks he's faster than ever (which apparently he's not)? It's not like it'll tarnish his legacy if he goes to Rio and does poorly, especially since he'd have to qualify at the trials anyway. When he said he was retiring after London, I didn't buy it. I figured he'd take a couple of years off and then get back in the pool and start training for another Olympics. It's not like he has to swim in 7 or 8 events. Maybe he qualifies for 1 or 2 of the relays and a couple of individual events. When he went 8 for 8 in Beijing, he was probably good enough to win 7 or 8 individual events if he focused solely on 1 at a time rather than having such a busy program. So for him to go to Rio with a lighter schedule, if he's anywhere near as good as he's been, why not chase a couple more Olympic medals. Dara Torres appeared in Olympics 24 years apart and nearly qualified again for 2012. So what's wrong with Phelps chasing more Olympic glory if his heart and his body are into it?

One of the more amazing facts about Phelps is that he made the US Olympic team. For Sydney. If he's good enough to make the 2016 team, good for him.

And again, it's not like he has to qualify for 4 or 5 individual events to get there. Imagine how good he could be if he only focused on 1 or 2 events, neither of which is the 400 IM (which is probably the hardest event on the program to train for)

If Hong Kong's ATV doesn't get its act together in the eyes of the Executive Council by November, the network will be presumed dead for failing to pay back its bills. Thus losing its Olympic rights. Talks have been going on in the last month and possibly now to save it. If ATV goes, TVB will be left as the only Hong Kong free-to-air TV network. It might take it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The CBC brought out Scott Russell who will no doubt be again a studio anchor for its coverage of the 2016 and 2020 Summer Olympics as part of the CBC's 2015-16 season #LoveCBC campaign launch. CBC's coverage promises "360 degrees coverage of Canadian athletes and athletes' point of view". Really interested in what Russell means by this with greater details as we get closer to Rio. I'm thinking a continuation of what the CBC did for Sochi 2014 digitally that won a Canadian Screen Award. Also there will be a CBC Sports app forthcoming in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games. Now why don't the CBC create itself a CBC2 as a second channel like many other nations do and use that to cover sports with? Even CTV has its own second channel called CTV Two that's formerly Channel A:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/john-doyle-cbcs-new-season-is-in-desperate-need-of-your-love/article24699007/

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/display/2015-05-29-cbc-programming-slate

Back in Brazil, the 10th Abraji Congress in Sao Paolo will host this July two panels involving a couple of the Brazilian 2016 Olympic broadcasters, ESPN Brasil, TV Record, and TV Globo, that will deal with innovating the 2016 Olympic coverage with the latest resources and tools and how does Brazil manages to keep its athletes at a high level on the eve of the Olympics and the education, training programs, and policies behind them:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.segs.com.br/eventos/42330-programacao-do-10-congresso-da-abraji-inclui-jornalismo-esportivo.html&prev=search

http://www.segs.com.br/eventos/42330-programacao-do-10-congresso-da-abraji-inclui-jornalismo-esportivo.html

Maurren Maggi recently decided to give the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics a go and come out of retirement. This means she will no longer be a part of the Globo TV/SporTV 2016 Olympic broadcast team. In her place steps in Debora Pradella:

http://zh.clicrbs.com.br/rs/esportes/olimpiada/noticia/2015/05/debora-pradella-procura-se-uma-sucessora-para-maurren-4770156.html

Vizart and deltatre team up in providing and delivering a solution for producing data-integrated broadcast graphics, designed for broadcasters carrying live sporting action from the Rio 2016 Olympics. This package, both hardware and software-based that incorporates competition and athlete data from Olympic Data Feed, will be available for Olympic rights broadcasters to rent through a dedicated Games rate cards to keep viewers engaged through a congested Olympic schedule:

http://www.tvbeurope.com/vizrt-deltatre-offer-graphics-package-rio-olympics/

Could fellow St. Louis resident Bob Costas end his time as your friendly neighborhood NBC Sports Olympic anchor with Rio even though its contract goes up to 2032? Maybe. Surely well before 2032. And might make sense with this one being in the Americas. He's treating this as "a case by case basis" before NBC Sports brass "kicks him out" presently at age 63. If so, who's young and waiting in the wings as the future NBC Olympics primetime host? If baseball gets back on the Olympic program with, say, Tokyo, he should be there for that for games to call (full disclosure, I met a couple of times with his daughter. Good guy. Talked about the Olympics, of course):

http://www.ksdk.com/story/entertainment/television/2015/06/08/bob-costas-olympics-last-nbc/28667379/

From several months ago: Globo TV partners with Cisco for further 4KTV/Ultra TV coverage in Rio 2016 next year. very likely Brazilians could see a synchronized three video screen presentation, each with a different angle, that was used on The Voice Brasil with stats, athletes lineups, social media and the like:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/2014091335257/brazil-s-tv-globo-goes-further-with-4ktv.html#axzz3cUAr4sDR

Could fellow St. Louis resident Bob Costas end his time as your friendly neighborhood NBC Sports Olympic anchor with Rio even though its contract goes up to 2032? Maybe. Surely well before 2032. And might make sense with this one being in the Americas. He's treating this as "a case by case basis" before NBC Sports brass "kicks him out" presently at age 63. If so, who's young and waiting in the wings as the future NBC Olympics primetime host? If baseball gets back on the Olympic program with, say, Tokyo, he should be there for that for games to call (full disclosure, I met a couple of times with his daughter. Good guy. Talked about the Olympics, of course):

http://www.ksdk.com/story/entertainment/television/2015/06/08/bob-costas-olympics-last-nbc/28667379/

He's going to retire from the Olympics at age 64? Wouldn't count on it. NBC isn't about to push him out the door. Like you said, who would replace him? Don't read much into the "case by case basis" comment. NBC didn't extend their Olympic deal nearly 2 decades out to drop the guy that's been the face of their coverage almost since the start of their current run.

If he drops anything, it'll be Sunday Night Football. That would go before the Olympics. He's already got his regular gig with MLB Network, so I don't know he'd be doing more there if he was doing less for NBC, let alone the Olympics.

I certainly wouldn't imagine NBC Olympics without him in it until he says it's time to go from the NBC's massive portion of the IBC studios. Again, I can't immediate picture anybody on NBC's coverage with sports and news gravitas combined worthy to replace Costas. Whoever it is we're ways off. definitely not a news-oriented like when Matt Laurer temporarily replaced him in Sochi during the primetime coverage. Would not make sense to drop him as the face of their coverage with that Olympic extension, as you say. I almost wrote about him and the MLB network reference on my post. he's surely more of a baseball guy than with football, though he appreciates following the sport. I hope Costas be more like TSN's Brian Williams.

Josh Elliott is Costas' natural successor.

Yes--it's been clear since they brought Elliott in last year that he's being groomed as the next Olympic primetime anchor. Prior to that, I would agree that there was no real successor for Costas, but now that Josh is there, I'd be surprised if he were willing to wait around another 10-12 years for Costas to retire before taking the reins. Costas still looks like he's in his 40s, but in 2018, he'll be the same age (66) that Jim McKay was at his last Olympics (and I doubt McKay would have continued as anchor if ABC had televised the Games after 1988). Costas already had a slightly reduced role in Sochi--he didn't do the opening or closing ceremony, and he didn't even do his usual recap to close the broadcast at the end of the Games. Costas has never seemed that passionate about the Winter Games, so I could see Elliott as the primetime host for 2018 and Costas as the host in 2020. I assume Elliott will have a very prominent role next year, probably hosting both ceremonies and anchoring the daytime NBC coverage.

Over the past few years, NBC has gradually been making changes to its commentary teams. They've brought in Nastia Liukin for gymnastics and Johnny and Tara for skating. I expect 2016 will be the last Olympics for Tom Hammond. Rowdy Gaines' contract ends in 2016, and it was alluded when he renewed back in 2013 that Rio would be his last Games. If they're making all of these other changes, there's no question they're also working with Costas to determine when it's the right time for him to step aside.

Yes--it's been clear since they brought Elliott in last year that he's being groomed as the next Olympic primetime anchor. Prior to that, I would agree that there was no real successor for Costas, but now that Josh is there, I'd be surprised if he were willing to wait around another 10-12 years for Costas to retire before taking the reins. Costas still looks like he's in his 40s, but in 2018, he'll be the same age (66) that Jim McKay was at his last Olympics (and I doubt McKay would have continued as anchor if ABC had televised the Games after 1988). Costas already had a slightly reduced role in Sochi--he didn't do the opening or closing ceremony, and he didn't even do his usual recap to close the broadcast at the end of the Games. Costas has never seemed that passionate about the Winter Games, so I could see Elliott as the primetime host for 2018 and Costas as the host in 2020. I assume Elliott will have a very prominent role next year, probably hosting both ceremonies and anchoring the daytime NBC coverage.

Over the past few years, NBC has gradually been making changes to its commentary teams. They've brought in Nastia Liukin for gymnastics and Johnny and Tara for skating. I expect 2016 will be the last Olympics for Tom Hammond. Rowdy Gaines' contract ends in 2016, and it was alluded when he renewed back in 2013 that Rio would be his last Games. If they're making all of these other changes, there's no question they're also working with Costas to determine when it's the right time for him to step aside.

A couple of things here..

First off, incorrect on McKay. He was not 66 years old at his last Olympics. He was 80. Don't forget he was in Salt Lake for NBC (I know this because I have a picture both he and I are in), obviously not as the host, but in a somewhat prominent role. So if he was willing to accept NBC's invitation to work for them there, who's to say he wouldn't have done more Olympics had ABC won the rights for any in the 90s.

They're definitely grooming Josh Elliott for bigger and better things. But he's going to have to wait for as long as Costas wants that chair. And with all due respect to Josh Elliott, who is he in the realm of the Olympics next to Costas? I can't see NBC pushing Costas out the door. When he's ready to call it a career, that's when he'll step door and Elliott or whoever else is out there can step in. I agree he'll have a prominent role in Rio (my guess will be daytime host.. probably no Al Michaels this time around since it's too close to football season). Might be a stretch to put him on the ceremonies though. He's still not a familiar enough face to get that role.

Yes, there are some old-timers (and long-time commentators) reaching the end of their run. I agree on Hammond. I think after 2016 we'll only see him on horse racing. Not sure who they'd replace Rowdy Gaines with because I don't think it'll be Michael Phelps (assuming he doesn't want to swim in Tokyo, which is certainly possible). Still, none of those commentators are Costas. There was talk about the future and his successor during Sochi in large part because we saw the reality of what might happen in a post-Costas era. But there's only 1 person who will determine when it's the right time for him to step aside. That's Bob Costas. The only thing NBC is working with him on is to make sure he gives them enough lead time to make sure a successor is in place.

A couple of things here..

First off, incorrect on McKay. He was not 66 years old at his last Olympics. He was 80. Don't forget he was in Salt Lake for NBC (I know this because I have a picture both he and I are in), obviously not as the host, but in a somewhat prominent role. So if he was willing to accept NBC's invitation to work for them there, who's to say he wouldn't have done more Olympics had ABC won the rights for any in the 90s.

Sorry--I should have said that McKay was 66 at his last Olympics as primetime anchor. I'm well aware that he was part of NBC's coverage in 2002. If you read my post above, I said there was no guarantee that McKay would have continued as anchor past 1988, not that he wouldn't have done another Olympics altogether. Considering that there was talk in 1984 that LA might be McKay's last Olympics as primetime anchor (this was discussed in SI's lengthy article on him in the LA preview issue), I think we would have seen Brent Musberger as anchor if ABC had televised an Olympics in the 90s, with McKay in a contributing role. By the early-90s, McKay had scaled back his schedule considerably and was mainly doing horse racing, golf, and a few other select events. At some point, I can see Costas transitioning to a role similar to the one McKay had in 2002.

Sorry--I should have said that McKay was 66 at his last Olympics as primetime anchor. I'm well aware that he was part of NBC's coverage in 2002. If you read my post above, I said there was no guarantee that McKay would have continued as anchor past 1988, not that he wouldn't have done another Olympics altogether. Considering that there was talk in 1984 that LA might be McKay's last Olympics as primetime anchor (this was discussed in SI's lengthy article on him in the LA preview issue), I think we would have seen Brent Musberger as anchor if ABC had televised an Olympics in the 90s, with McKay in a contributing role. By the early-90s, McKay had scaled back his schedule considerably and was mainly doing horse racing, golf, and a few other select events. At some point, I can see Costas transitioning to a role similar to the one McKay had in 2002.

i remember when after the 88 Olympics Mckay's next event was the Florida Derby and he was 66 then so he was still doing a heavy workload back then

I certainly wouldn't imagine NBC Olympics without him in it until he says it's time to go from the NBC's massive portion of the IBC studios. Again, I can't immediate picture anybody on NBC's coverage with sports and news gravitas combined worthy to replace Costas. Whoever it is we're ways off. definitely not a news-oriented like when Matt Laurer temporarily replaced him in Sochi during the primetime coverage. Would not make sense to drop him as the face of their coverage with that Olympic extension, as you say. I almost wrote about him and the MLB network reference on my post. he's surely more of a baseball guy than with football, though he appreciates following the sport. I hope Costas be more like TSN's Brian Williams.

its funny i remember Bryant Gumbel hosting in 88 as well as Costas and Jane Pauley? Costas was so much better than Bryant and Jane

Some news coming from France:

Pay-tv channel Canal+ signed a sub-licensing contract with official broadcaster France Télévisions, covering the Rio and Tokyo games. This will allow Canal+ to cover all events live on their main channel as well as on Canal+ Sport and their on-demand service. Canal+ already covered the summer Olympics in 2000, 2004 and 2008.

In 2012, Bein Sports sub-licensed the rights from FTV but only for Tennis, Handball and Basketball.

The reason France Télévisions are selling the rights again is because the public channels can't show ads after 8pm, and the Rio games will air from 4pm to 6am in France, which means way less ad revenue for FTV than in 2012. Same reason for the 2020 Olympics, which will air mostly overnight and in the morning, result in lower viewing figures for the public broadcaster.

• Like 1

The BBC appears very eager to put the amazing Claire Balding in a prime role for Rio. Maybe with cycling since swimming times are too late night for British TV audiences to as a showcase for her

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-3128803/BBC-want-hand-prime-asset-Clare-Balding-starring-role-Rio-2016-Olympic-Games.html

Jose Luiz Datena will call Olympic volleyball once again for Bandierantes TV/BandSports for the third time there after Athens and Beijing (Record TV had exclusive rights to it in London 2012). Possibly with Virna, Marcelo Negrao, and Teo Jose

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://torcedores.com/noticias/2015/06/datena-narra-volei-na-band-e-brinca-estou-trocando-de-roupa-tenho-um-programa-depois&prev=search

...And now just coming out, SporTV is reaching out towards legend Nadia Comeneci as Olympic gymnastics commentator

http://boainformacao.com.br/2015/06/sportv-contratara-romena-nadia-comaneci-para-comentar-nas-olimpiadas/

http://diariodigital.sapo.pt/news.asp?id_news=778843

Been trying to get some Polish news on Rio and it's difficult. Based on what I'm seeing online on Polish websites is TVP will air 750 hours on several of its TV channels and possibly online too from the Brazilian city.

• Like 1

The Globo Group, the Brazilian media giant, just yesterday announced it will also be a primary sponsor of the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics along with Nissan, Bradesco, Claro, and Correios (Brazil Post) and secondary sponsors Skol, Batavo, Sadia, and Cisco and not just an official media sponsor and broadcaster. The four companies inside the Globo Group will have a specific and dedicated logo for the Olympics to use and will appear in many Olympic venues. I'm really interested what the radio coverage will be like for Globo Radio System. Globo's 123 media affiliates will bring the Olympic coverage in multiple platforms to Brazil's 5490 cities.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/jogos-olimpicos/2016/grupo-globo-vira-patrocinador-da-olimpiada-rio-2016,26d101fdd34dd8d965c71f4e44aa1f314dl2RCRD.html

http://portal.comunique-se.com.br/index.php/mkt-pp/77736-grupo-globo-vai-patrocinar-os-jogos-olimpicos-do-rio-de-janeiro

http://www.futebolinterior.com.br/futebol/Olimpiadas-Rio-2016/noticias/2015-06/Grupo-Globo-assina-contrato-e-sera-patrocinador-dos-Jogos-do-Rio-2016

Brazil's FIFA World Cup last year and Toronto's 2015 Pan American Games will serve as a testing ground or a dry run for Globo in the lead up to Rio. 2016. Naturally it plans to have a bigger structure and richer coverage than what Globo/SporTV produced in London. Globo's Olympic coverage will start later this year producing 2000 stories to the beginning of Olympic events and Rio test series with special boards for TV news and sports. The Globo TV network proper will air 160 hours over 17 days with 110 of them live with exclusive cameras for major sports like soccer, track & field, volleyball, swimming, gymnastics, and basketball. 2000 professionals will work for Globo/SporTV in Rio in total:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.portalimprensa.com.br/revista_imprensa/conteudo-extra/72918/veiculos%2Biniciam%2Bpreparacao%2Bpara%2Ba%2Bcobertura%2Bda%2Bolimpiada%2Bno%2Brio%2Bde%2Bjaneiro&prev=search

Globo will have a huge 3-floor glass studio in the very center of Olympic Park for TV Globo and SporTV (that will broadcast 16 live 24/7 channels in cable TV during the games).

Est%C3%BAdio%2BGlobo_SporTV%2BReprodu%C3

3999367.jpg

Globo is the 2nd biggest TV network (only behind USA's ABC) in and the 17th Media conglomerate in the world, despite being in Brazil and be a Portuguese-language based media company.

Edited by DannyelBrazil