Rio 2016 Olympic Media Update

A bit of an update on the Oz rights story:

IOC to play waiting game on Australian TV rights

April 9 - The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is likely to call a pause in the process of selling Australian broadcasting rights to the next two Olympic Games, due to less than favourable market conditions.

The expected move follows Australian media reports that each of the country's three major free-to-air television networks had pulled out of the race for the right to televise both the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The non-Olympic sport of cricket is hugely popular in the famously sports-crazy nation, and one person with knowledge of the negotiations told insidethegames that this was the market's current focus.

Moreover, this individual added, "the financial people running the networks are holding sway".

The Olympic Movement has done well in recent times out of the Antipodean nation that hosted the Summer Games in 1956 and 2000.

The Nine Network and Foxtel paid a reported US$100 million (£66 million/€78 million) for the right to air the Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 Olympics.

Indeed, by insidethegames's own calculations, Australia is perhaps the sole territory where the per capita price of the right to broadcast the Summer Olympics matches or even exceeds the per capita price paid for the United States.

The IOC can afford to play a waiting game, safe in the knowledge that deals struck for broadcasting rights for the 2013-2016 period already exceed $4 billion (£2.6 billion/€3.1 billion).

This puts them significantly above the $3.914 billion (£2.576 billion/€3.034 billion) raised for the four years culminating with London 2012, with a few large territories still unsold.

Insidethegames

I'm sorry, I just can't see the Australian Olympic TV rights ever going back to ABC. It's been so long--and a far different era--since it last handled them on TV. And I think that was shared with ABC, if I'm right.

The Australian situation seems kind of smiliar to the Canadian one. There was a long holdout to determine the rights holder and there was question as to whether the games would even be shown on tv in Canada at one point, and whether or not Yahoo might snatch up the rights. Could this happen in Australia?

The Australian situation seems kind of smiliar to the Canadian one. There was a long holdout to determine the rights holder and there was question as to whether the games would even be shown on tv in Canada at one point, and whether or not Yahoo might snatch up the rights. Could this happen in Australia?

I doubt it, the Olympics is one of the events that Australian TV regulations require to be shown on free-to-air TV and not siphoned off to just pay-per-view. Something will give - one of the main networks will do some bid with a pay TV or net provider. Probably more of a rationalisation after Oz TVhas been steadily accepting the upped ante since the 2000 home games.

I doubt it, the Olympics is one of the events that Australian TV regulations require to be shown on free-to-air TV and not siphoned off to just pay-per-view. Something will give - one of the main networks will do some bid with a pay TV or net provider. Probably more of a rationalisation after Oz TVhas been steadily accepting the upped ante since the 2000 home games.

The IOC will have to cave in. If I remember correctly CBC paid much less then what CTV/Rogers did for Canada's rights.

@intoronto: "If I remember correctly CBC paid much less then what CTV/Rogers did for Canada's rights."

I'm not sure that we've yet been told a 2014/6 figure; CBC were being very coy about it:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/07/cbc-keeping-73m-olympic-secret

7 Aug 2012

"CBC/Radio Canada has paid more than $73 million for the rights to broadcast the Sochi 2014 and Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympics.

International Olympic Committee marketing and broadcast director Timo Lumme wouldn’t reveal the precise figure on Tuesday, but he said it was more than what was paid for the Beijing 2008 quadrennium, which included the Turin 2006 Winter Olympics. CBC announced the deal Aug. 1, after a joint bid with CTV-owner Bell was rejected by the IOC.

Lumme conceded the Canadian rights were sold for less than the $153 million paid by Bell and Rogers for Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 rights."

Australian TV rights is being held up due to Cricket Australias TV rights as ch 7 and 9 see it as a better investment. Both putting big money behind it and the loser will get the Olympics for half the price they would have paid fror cricket

No New Zealand broadcasters have the right for 2014 or 2016 yet. The New Zealand Olympic Committee advised me that negotiations are ongoing! Not sure what progress is being made or who is bidding, but would think Sky TV/Prime who covered 2010 and 2012 would be the front runners.

• Like 1

When Nine had both the Olympics and cricket, was it like nothing but hearing iconic sports themes--definitely in the case of cricket with that World Series of Cricket theme? Something tells me both 7 and 9 are thinking there could be some very promising Australian cricket success in the near future both want to be a part of. Could it seem that the assumption that Australians are kinda down on their Olympic stars right now in the general sense from the summer sports? Maybe the networks are tired of the rising Olympic TV rights and continuing forking over them?

I would assume SKY/PRIME are the frontrunners again over in NZ. Like to know what kind of negotiations are involved for it.

When Nine had both the Olympics and cricket, was it like nothing but hearing iconic sports themes--definitely in the case of cricket with that World Series of Cricket theme? Something tells me both 7 and 9 are thinking there could be some very promising Australian cricket success in the near future both want to be a part of. Could it seem that the assumption that Australians are kinda down on their Olympic stars right now in the general sense from the summer sports? Maybe the networks are tired of the rising Olympic TV rights and continuing forking over them?

Well, actually, we're in a bit of a trough with the fortunes of our national cricket team now as well. But, hey, these are cvclical, and the thing is, cricket is still the major summer sports here - basically I assume the same status as baseball in the US. And, with the various states here split in their allegiances between different codes of football, cricket is THE sport that can truly claim to be our national game - it's followed all over. That's what makes it so valuable to the networks - no split allegiances in the different state markets.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we are down on our Olympians - a bit perturbed by some of the reports of the behind the scenes behaviour of some in London and a bit disappointed that we didn't bag some more medals. But come the next games, they'll still be an obsession . More to the point that the prices the networks have paid for the rights since 2000 have steadily become more unsustainable in the smaller market we're in. It's more a case of who'll blink first - the networks or the IOC.

You're right, your Aussie Olympians will STILL continue be an obsession for you, especially at the pool and just about everywhere else when an Australian is prominent medal-wise. Now that you mentioned it, Australian sports is cyclical in terms of who gets popularity. Thanks also for pointing out theregional differences regarding the football codes nationwide. I also happen to write posts for an Australian basketball forum at around the same time I joined here, even though I never visited Australia using the same moniker. I hope basketball gets greater prominence again there in the future. But anyway, baseball, though very respected here and has earned itself in major markets massive TV deals on regional sports cable networks, like the LA Dodgers did with Time Warner Cable Sports that enabled the team to sign high-priced free agents, is no longer the kind of obsession it was (for various reasons) that's now reserved for the NFL--America's Passion. The NFL is now the hot swimsuit supermodel for several years; everything else pails in comparison. Look at the wall-to-wall coverage the upcoming NFL Draft is getting up to Thursday night.

These days when I think about Australian cricket, aside from hoping for a very good cricket game to play on the PS4 that will have those leagues and test matches--wish I could follow it more frequently than I do, is when Liz Hurley, accompanied by fiancee Melbourne Stars captain Shane Warne, told 10 Perth's reporter Katie Price to "f*** off" at the Perth airport and proudly strutting afterwards.

I would assume SKY/PRIME are the frontrunners again over in NZ. Like to know what kind of negotiations are involved for it.

Yes I presume that Sky/Prime are front runners... But no nothing about the negotiations except for what the NZOC told me... That negotiations were ongoing.

• 1 month later...

Netflix for the Canadian Olympic consumption for Sochi and Rio? Very interesting. Would work for very comprehensive highlights packages, if not on demand or live events, if done right. How about NBC doing likewise?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cbc-aims-to-divide-pie-for-coming-olympic-games/article4481556/

• 2 weeks later...

MUMBAI: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has launched the process for the sale of the broadcast and exhibition rights for territories within Asia for the XXII Olympic Winter Games (2014) in Sochi, Russia, and the Games of the XXXI Olympiad in Rio (2016), as well as the second Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2014 in Nanjing, China. Supplemental bids will also be considered for the XXIII Olympic Winter Games in 2018 in PyeongChang, Republic of Korea and the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in 2020 (host city yet to be selected).

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k13/jun/jun58.php

• 2 weeks later...
Rio Olympic rights to be package deal

AUSTRALIAN television rights for the next two Summer Olympic Games are likely be sold as a bundle after all three major TV networks failed to bid for the upcoming Rio Games, Nine Network boss Jeff Browne says.

And in the wake of the Socceroos booking a place in the 2014 FIFA World Cup, Mr Browne said Nine would be a serious bidder in future for the broadcast rights for the A-League.

Mr Browne, who is managing director of the Nine Network, said it had been difficult for Nine to finance a bid for the package of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

That was because of a recent restructure of its ownership to resolve the company's debt problems.

"We needed to sort out our rugby league and cricket commitments before we could go there," Mr Browne told a Sydney FC business lunch on Wednesday.

Mr Browne said the International Olympic Committee would announce the location of the next Summer and Winter games in September - with the Summer games to be held in Istanbul, Tokyo or Madrid.

He said he expected the local rights for Rio would be sold with the next two Games events.

"They will sell the next two Summers plus the Winter in between them as a package," he said.

Mr Browne said Tokyo would be a more attractive proposition because of time zone being closer to Australia's.

The TV boss also said Nine would be interested in the broadcast rights for A-League soccer.

"I've been watching football - it wasn't quite right for us this time around because we had to recommit to cricket," he told the Sydney FC audience.

"You've certainly got our attention and next time around I would be knocking on the door and we would have a good look at it.

"If we don't buy it we'll push the others up for you."

SBS secured the free-to-air rights for A-League matches for four years from 2013/14 in a $160 million deal signed in 2012.

Courier Mail

• 2 weeks later...

IOC awards 2014-16 broadcast rights in Central Asia

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has awarded the broadcast rights in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan to Dentsu Inc. for the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, in 2014 and the Games of the XXXI Olympiad in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 2016.

Dentsu Inc. has acquired broadcast rights on all media platforms in the respective territories.

IOC President Jacques Rogge said: “We are pleased to reach this agreement with Dentsu, and look forward to ensuring the best possible broadcast of the Games is made available in the region”.

IOC Finance Commission Chairman Richard Carrión, who led the negotiations, said: “Dentsu has acquired the rights across all platforms and will now begin the process of securing broadcasters in these territories. The broadcast market in the region is rapidly developing, and this agreement will mean that high quality broadcast of the Games is made available on a variety of platforms, but also guarantees that both Sochi and Rio will be available on free television.”

Dentsu Inc. Executive Officer Kiyoshi Nakamura said: “It is a great honour to be designated the role of acquiring and sublicensing broadcast and exhibition rights for the upcoming Olympic Games in Sochi and Rio de Janeiro. We believe in the immense potential of sports broadcasting rights in these territories. Dentsu will ensure that we fulfil our commitment to contributing to the Olympic Movement through this opportunity.”

Shouldn't be too shocking at all these days to have an advertising agency, in this case a powerful Japanese one, to sell the Olympic media rights to several nations in a region. No different from Sportsfive does in much of Europe and Octagon could still do for sub-Saharan Africa. In fact, advertising agencies in Japan, like the top-notch Dentsu, dictate the TV schedules for many TV channels there, and sports like the Olympics are definitely a part of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Rai finally reaches Olympic deal with Sky Italia

Free-to-air Italian broadcaster Rai has reached an agreement with Sky Italia to sublicense broadcast rights to the Sochi winter Games next year and the Rio Olympics in 2016.

After protracted negotiations, a deal worth between €60 million and €100 million, as well as advertising space, to Sky has been signed.

Sky Italia will have live coverage of Sochi 2014 exclusively, with Rai showing highlights each day, while Rai will share live rights for Rio 2016.

Sky Italia was obliged to sublicense the rights to a free-to-air partner under International Olympic Committee (IOC) regulations.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/rai_finally_reaches_olympic_deal_with_sky_italia

You never know if he might make an appearance like he did at the end of the BBC's London Closing Ceremony with Gary Lineker and Sue Barker(?) talking about wishing it wouldn't end with him peaking over.

He hasn't been announced for the NBC Sochi lineup. Still very early in assembling the team. But he might be there for the Sochi CC. I'd like to see him ID all those K-Pop acts, PSY aside, if they all are in the Pyongchang segment. :lol: