Where do you think the next Olympics in South America will be?

Hopefully in Bolivia! Santa Cruz could host an awesome summer games! Bolivia is a great sporting nation and Olympics would be great for the economy and for the entire nation. I think Beunos Aires, Argentina is a good pick too. Or Lima, Peru. I don't think SA could host a winter games but I don't know any places that could. Tell me what you guys think?

When I mean the next games I mean the next south American games after Rio...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully in Bolivia! Santa Cruz could host an awesome summer games! Bolivia is a great sporting nation and Olympics would be great for the economy and for the entire nation.

Why not La Paz?

BTW - Medellin is still in the running for the 2018 YOGs, so it may well be the next South American Olympic host.

Forget about Argentina/Buanos Aires, guys. They are regressing... So Buenos Aires wont even bid for the PanAms...

Anyway, Santiago or a Colombian City would be my bets...

No other Hispanic country in SA would be able to host the SOG in the next ~20 years..

I think it will most likely Buenos Aires is the most likely candidate. With Santiago, Lima or possibly Sao Paulo as potential hosts. But it will be years from now.

Argentina

Buenos Aires and the whole Argentina are under financial and (maybe) a national-identity crisis since Menem left the power and Argentina economically destroyed.

And worse, they are doing nothing smart to rise again. Sad. Specially because in the 50s, no country in South America could beat Argentina in quality of life or money. Today, they owe money to Venezuela and life quality in Chile is better, even Brazil is getting near, since their HDI goes down every year.

Not to mention the chaotic Copa America they`ve hosted last month with journalists been robbed inside the match field.

Chile

Santiago, I don`t have much info on the city, but I know they have a big problem with pollution in the winter (remember to see that in 31 Minutos (a funny kid show made by TVN Chile). But, despite this, Chile is a great country and probably will be the first "first world" country of South America.

Brazil

If the games returns to Brazil, forget Sao Paulo, it's a rich and cosmopolitan city, which is nice, but also it's a polluted-air-hell-traffic and huge metropolis with few empty spaces. Like an american said to me. it's an endless downtown (those from North America got specially surprised with so many buildings Sao Paulo have).

If Brazil wants hosts again in the future I'd bet in Brasilia or Curitiba for a successful bid... or Rio trying a second Olympic games in the city (not likely).

Others

Colombia and Peru are emerging economically. Bogota did a great job on reducing criminality and got a urban plan similar to Curitiba's one.

I don't have much information about Lima, the only thing I know it Lima have the best airport in South America... Some say by far...

Hopefully in Bolivia! Santa Cruz could host an awesome summer games! Bolivia is a great sporting nation and Olympics would be great for the economy and for the entire nation.

I know you're a proud Bolivian, and you must be as a Bolivian citizen, but let's face the facts...

Bolivia is not a sports-successful nation in Olympic Games. You guys never won a medal and sent only 7 athletes in Beijing.

Maybe a bid for PanAmerican games would be already huge for Bolivia, still achievable.

Bolivia has a population of 10.5 million and a GDP of 47.5 billion. Not exactly hosting numbers considering the last 'develoing' nation to host spent 50 billion to host. Ethiopia and Sudan are in the same league.

Argentina is very possible, if they can get their house in order like Brazil did they would be able to host in the 2040's. But as of right now the next South American host will be Sao Paolo or Brasilia.

Bolivia has a population of 10.5 million and a GDP of 47.5 billion. Not exactly hosting numbers considering the last 'develoing' nation to host spent 50 billion to host. Ethiopia and Sudan are in the same league.

Argentina is very possible, if they can get their house in order like Brazil did they would be able to host in the 2040's. But as of right now the next South American host will be Sao Paolo or Brasilia.

Argentines needs to change government to put order in house. Meanwhile Peronistas are in power, the country will suffer of populism and "crazy-economic-adventures" like they are doing for the last 50 years!!!

I do hope Buenos Aires can host games in 2040s.

Guys, you don't know Sao Paulo... Google a little, check the city, see pictures, it's simply about lack of empty spaces (even to make bigger avenues). Sao Paulo would be a great World Expo host city, not olympics.

The French should get their act together and forget those hamlets Paris and Annecy out there in the boonies and land a fierce bid for the summer games in Cayenne - French Guiana! A true postmodern games hosted by european France in South America. Where is your continental rotation now? B)

Argentines needs to change government to put order in house. Meanwhile Peronistas are in power, the country will suffer of populism and "crazy-economic-adventures" like they are doing for the last 50 years!!!

I do hope Buenos Aires can host games in 2040s.

Guys, you don't know Sao Paulo... Google a little, check the city, see pictures, it's simply about lack of empty spaces (even to make bigger avenues). Sao Paulo would be a great World Expo host city, not olympics.

That's why I said Brasilia, I had always thought Sao Paulo was in the same league as Paris with a lack of land. I think Brazil is a country that has multiple cities that could host.

What would you pick Danny, Salvador or Brasilia?

If the games returns to Brazil, forget Sao Paulo, it's a rich and cosmopolitan city, which is nice, but also it's a polluted-air-hell-traffic and huge metropolis with few empty spaces.

Hmmmm, sounds like Beijing to me. And some of you guys make me laugh. When talking about why South America got their 1st Olympics, some of you said because Brazil "offered up" their best city for it. Had they offered Brasilia, or the likes of something like Salvador or Curitiba the IOC would've looked they other way.

But now you guys, all of the sudden, are throwing 2nd & 3rd rate cities in there for South America's 2nd Games?! If anything, a return to South America would have to be even more compeling than when Rio won. Since the "South America never hosted card" is gone. And that ain't gonna be with the much lesser-known places like Brasilia, Salvador, Porte Alegre, Curitiba & the like. It's gonna have to be either with Buenoes Aires or Sao Paulo if/when the Games are "due" to return to the continent.

And your point is exactly? So does Beijing, Rio, Rome, Istanbul & Tokyo!

The point being that Sao Paulo (as Danny said) doesn't have a lot of open space for construction of an Olympic Park/venues. And in 30 years time when South America could host again, going to the capital of one of the most weathly countries is not a stretch. Add in the fact that as of right now, no other country in SA is capable of hosting besides Brazil and you are left with looking at one of Brasilia, Salvador or Sao Paulo and Sao Paulo would be extremely unlikely because of the nature of the city. Think Boston, so you can wrap your head around the situation Sao Paulo would face.

The point being that Sao Paulo (as Danny said) doesn't have a lot of open space for construction of an Olympic Park/venues.

Well, he specially mentioned "traffic", which would be a problem for any major city. As far as space goes, New York doesn't have much of that, either. But everyone always seems to be so gung-ho about them. And I can't see Tokyo with a lot of space eiter, unless they plan to use a lot of artificial islands. And some even talk about India later on. Talk about space constraints.

And like you said yourself, in 30 years time, who knows what that landscape could be like in Sao Paolo, especially like you mentioned again, in a rapidly developing country like Brazil. They could tear down things in the meantime, &/or propose something like London's East End. If were talking at least 30 years down the road & it's too premature to discount places like Brasilia & Salvador, then I don't see why the same reasoning can't be applied to Sao Paulo. Nothing is cast in stone, especially if were talking 3 decades away.

At this moment, I only see four cities that can potentially bid: Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Brasilia and Santiago. Maybe in the future some Colombian cities like Medellín or Bogotá. Lima is developing really fast but I don't think it's good enough yet. Caracas could be in some future if Chávez leave the power.

Argentina

Buenos Aires and the whole Argentina are under financial and (maybe) a national-identity crisis since Menem left the power and Argentina economically destroyed.

And worse, they are doing nothing smart to rise again. Sad. Specially because in the 50s, no country in South America could beat Argentina in quality of life or money. Today, they owe money to Venezuela and life quality in Chile is better, even Brazil is getting near, since their HDI goes down every year.

Not to mention the chaotic Copa America they`ve hosted last month with journalists been robbed inside the match field.

What are you talking about? Argentina did have a big crisis ten years ago but they are developing really fast. HDI is increasing every year (in the past report, Argentina went three spots up to 43th place, 1 place below Chile and almost 30 places over Brazil). It's the country with the largest GDP per capita in South America and its economy is growing at 6% per year. The only BIG problem is inflation.

For sure, the main problem about Argentina is the corruption and the distrust to their institutions. That's why Copa América 2011 was a disaster, not because they have economical problems.

Chile

Santiago, I don`t have much info on the city, but I know they have a big problem with pollution in the winter (remember to see that in 31 Minutos (a funny kid show made by TVN Chile). But, despite this, Chile is a great country and probably will be the first "first world" country of South America.

Yes, pollution is a serious problem although not as serious as in past years or as in Beijing. For sure, it is something it should be addressed for an Olympic bid. It is a good city for hosting a SOG, but it will need a lot of work in infraestrcuture (accommodation, stadiums, etc.)

As I've said before, I think Santiago is more capable of a WOG bid than a SOG. I think we could offer the best WOG ever, with a city 5 times larger than Torino or SLC, larger stadiums, closer ski resorts and so on...

Brazil

If the games returns to Brazil, forget Sao Paulo, it's a rich and cosmopolitan city, which is nice, but also it's a polluted-air-hell-traffic and huge metropolis with few empty spaces. Like an american said to me. it's an endless downtown (those from North America got specially surprised with so many buildings Sao Paulo have).

If Brazil wants hosts again in the future I'd bet in Brasilia or Curitiba for a successful bid... or Rio trying a second Olympic games in the city (not likely).

I know São Paulo possibly isn't the best city for an Olympics, probably it is the best for a bid without repeating Rio. Brasilia can be... but the rest of the cities, like Salvador or Curitiba, have no chance (like Leipzig 2012).

Others

Colombia and Peru are emerging economically. Bogota did a great job on reducing criminality and got a urban plan similar to Curitiba's one.

I don't have much information about Lima, the only thing I know it Lima have the best airport in South America... Some say by far...

I know you're a proud Bolivian, and you must be as a Bolivian citizen, but let's face the facts...

Bolivia is not a sports-successful nation in Olympic Games. You guys never won a medal and sent only 7 athletes in Beijing.

Maybe a bid for PanAmerican games would be already huge for Bolivia, still achievable.

Colombia in the future could be a really good host, but I think they should focus on the World Cup first, they have much more opportunities there. Lima, I simply don't see how can they have an opportunity compared with other cities: not as cosmopolitan as Buenos Aires, not as rich as Santiago, not as powerful as Sao Paulo. Everything can change in the next 30 years but I simply can't see them hosting now. Bolivia has no chance... they can't even host a South American Games. And I think La Paz's high altitude is a killing factor for a Olympic bid.

And your point is exactly? So does Beijing, Rio, Rome, Istanbul & Tokyo!

Yeah, does they have traffic-index for their huge traffics jams??? And this index could reach 400Km inside the expanded downtown only???

FYI, Sao Paulo would be a great host city for any sports event that does not have to move around the city. Last friday I took 2 hours to go from Vila Mariana to Sumaré at no rush hour... 8 Km. This really does not happen in Rio, by far.

The problem of empty space does matter in Brazil. Govt can not simply destroy houses (like Beijing) and build what they want. And in Sao Paulo this could be a hell due high density.. They are trying to build a tunnel linking Roberto Marinho Ave. to Imigrantes Highway for 10 years. No single house was destroyed because of justice suits... Rio have more empty space in the West Zone...

Please, google the city, you'll understand my point. KRATK showed a similar opinion.

But I agree with you. In 40, 50 years, lots can chance, and also the financial axis of Brazil, moving it to West and some new modern city could be a strong Brazilian bid...

I do think a second Olympic Games in South America should be done in other country, not Brazil. Chile would be my bet. Santiago looks really nice. (I've read your post KRATK and as I said I have not much info over Santiago)

I don't trust in any Argentine index, specially those made by corrupt Indec Institute, who points Argentina has lower inflation than Chile, do you trust on it?

Well, he specially mentioned "traffic", which would be a problem for any major city. As far as space goes, New York doesn't have much of that, either.

I've never been to NY, but seeing Manhatan in Google Earth and watching all footage we saw about NY in our lifes, I can say it's not the best place to place Olympic Games... But, Americans can do amazing things really quickly and really smart.

At first glance I will consider NY bid not a favorite to me, unless a nice bid plan is made.

Again, unfortunatelly, never been to NY.

I'd like to say one thing, compared to Beijing, Sao Paulo is much lessssssssssssssss polluted. Gosh, Beijing got clouds of pollution really low. At least in Sao Paulo we can, with a bit of lucky, see some stars in the sky at night.

buenos aires....

After a political revolution happens in Argentina, yes.

And if this happens, it will be a strong bid even for before 2040s.

If not, forget it. smile.gif

I don't trust in any Argentine index, specially those made by corrupt Indec Institute, who points Argentina has lower inflation than Chile, do you trust on it?

I always trust in INDEC if I want to have a good laugh :D

But most of the macroeconomical indexes come from other sources, like the IMF.

It surprises me why even Montevideo is not mentioned here. Uruguay is a country's name that organised in the begin of a centurey-time-lap a lot of big organisations. But the day of today needs a lot of improvements for a city to become candidate.

The name Montevideo and Buenos Aires did always gave me a South-American romantism .. But I suppose that Brazil has a lot of big cities ..

What are the capabilities of those cities in Brazil? For example can we make a list of Brazilian and other South-American cities that could organize other world champs so that they can be candidate for a future Olympic Games.

Another example is that the Turks e.g. do know South-America for the passionate football that is organised under the name COPA AMERICA. This name gives a Latin-Romatism to the Turkish ears. But why not a world swimming or Atlethics Champs in Buenos Aires/Fortaleza/Brasilia or Montevideo .. a few to sum up.

The Asian Countries are delivering more international organisations then the South-Americans. I have a feeling (despite a few strong organisations of the Pan-Ams/Military Games recently in Rio) that South America is less on the Sports-Map of the World. I also have a feeling that South-America has such much potential .. As I cried with Cielho when he won Gold at the 50m in Shanghai. A new generation of Latin-American atlethes will have to be delivered.. as the matter affect the Atletic-League in Jamaica impressed me much but that is much in the Carribean region.

Brasilia is so 'official' with her city-design as a federal capital. The coast-cities do have a lot of potential. Finally my heart goes with Bueanos Aires for sure.. 2040's .. maybe in the best hope. Turkey always focused on olympics.. I know that we will try not 4 times not 40 times .. maybe 400 times. To get at least those prestigious Olympics. When the general conciousness of Buenos Aires Government/people focuses on the Olympics that will be the first great step forward to put efforts to get them.

I hope that the Olympic Flame will be handed over from 2016 Christ the Redeemer to Mevlana the Souphist 2020 .. This Romantism is not describeble .. I hope .. we have a lot of work to do..

regards

fatih

The problem of Montevideo is the rest of country (or what is supposed to be). Uruguay have 3 million habitants and 1.6 living in the capital.

Their GDP is smaller than the city of Brasilia alone... I don't think Olympics are an event for small South American countries, even in the next 50 years. It's simply a matter of money available.

It's sad. I loved Uruguay. What a nice place, a bit "latin-decadent" with old buses and cars around, but still charming and with very nice people. I strongly recommend a visit to Uruguay if someone from other continents come to South America.

About indexes of Argentina, IMF is not casting numbers for Argentina anymore, since 2009 due lack of trustability...

Even their HDI numbers are under suspect. Buenos Aires HDI rose a lot during the last financial crisis, meanwhile more bonairenses are living in villas emergencias (the argentine for favelas). How can be?

And President Cristina Kirchner is expected to be reelected for a new term... The argentine snowball is only growing, guys...

Well, Chile is ahead to be the second olympic host of South America in my opinion. And more, they deserve it. What a country they are building there. :)

Archived