Only 4 bidders?

deawebo

^Yes, with your "5-star" lodging at the Downtown Tulsa Motel 6 & your "great venues" of entertainment at the Tulsa county fairgrounds. ;)

Should I take this risk?

At least, it will be the only chance in life to stay at the same hotel IOC would be in case of Tulsa winning. tongue.gif

I already have a mascot for Istanbul 2020: Eurasia, the Bosphorus eel!!

BTW, am working on the new Pereira. Maybe next week.

Eurasia... It looks not sarcastic.. C'mon Baron, missing your sarcasm.

About Tulsa, every single time I ready this name I remember of:

Indeed, it's the name of one of my 3 cats, along with Bibica and Ringo

Again, since last post crashed.

Everytime I read about Tulsa I remember of:

Indeed, Toonces is the name of one of my cats, along with Bibica and Ringo.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only 2 serious bids plus one desperate inclusion for the 2018 bid, now only 4 for 2020, looks like the world may have had it's fill for a while.

I would still like to go to Paris for an Olympics.

..or Buenos Aries.

But even when the USOC offered the two best and biggest American cities, those 50 or so nuts turned them down, :lol::lol:

Oh Miles, the two biggest American cities are NYC and LA. Not NYC and Chicago. Geez Miles, when you flunk basic American geography, how do you expect anyone to take anything that comes out of your mouth seriously???/ :rolleyes:

^Splitting hairs. Chicago's still in the top 3. And Los Angeles has hosted twice already. You obviously didn't get the point of the matter.

Sooooo pedantic, davidm. I do have him on my IGNORE list. He talks about credibility yet he has a MINUS 5 Reputation to my positive 62. I wonder... :rolleyes:

Maybe it's Istanbul's time. After all, they've knocked 4x already. And should they win, that'll put a stop to those dubious, pesky Gulf sheikdom bids for awhile.

That's an interesting point. Considering Qatar and the UAE want to host the Games soon, will they (and their friends) support Istanbul?

2020 would be kinda easy for Paris because of the economic crisis and the threat Rogge made to spain to choose a different city other than Madrid because of the accusations of corruption that were made towards Rogge and the IOC after losing to Rio 2 years ago...

That was the biggest mistake by the Madrid 2016 team. Anyway, it seems they've learned their lesson, and they've said only professional people will be in the 2020 bid committee. In other words, all those arrogant people from the previous bid will not be involved now. With this "measure" taken, and bearing in mind there will be 3 or 4 Spanish IOC members in 2013 who will help with the lobbying, I don't expect that incident to have any impact on the 2020 bid.

I can't see any city in Spain other than Madrid or Barcelona hosting the Olympics. Madrid's shot at winning is much better now than for 2016. If the IOC refuses our superb technical project for the third time in a row, then it will be clear they're not interested or that they prefer new frontiers to host or whatever. If that happens, I don't think Madrid will bid again until at least 2032.

and the threat Rogge made to spain to choose a different city other than Madrid because of the accusations of corruption that were made towards Rogge and the IOC after losing to Rio 2 years ago

I actually don't remember this! Have you got a link?

^Actually, Madrid & Tokyo were pretty vocal about the loss. While Chicago & the USOC were tight-lipped & didn't a word about the vote. I can't remember verbatim what was said by the Spanish & Japanese, but something along the usual lines by some losing bid cities of the past that "it wasn't fair".

*tight-lipped & didn't 'say' a word about the vote.

Sooooo pedantic, davidm. I do have him on my IGNORE list. He talks about credibility yet he has a MINUS 5 Reputation to my positive 62. I wonder... :rolleyes:

Well, what can you expect from a juvenile that knows nothing. He only comes on here to stir the pot. He won't be happy until Minne is held on a grand pedestal here on GB. He/she/it better not hold their breath. :lol:

If the IOC refuses our superb technical project for the third time in a row, then it will be clear they're not interested or that they prefer new frontiers to host or whatever. If that happens, I don't think Madrid will bid again until at least 2032.

Shouldn't this be "clear" already. I mean it's not like Madrid has lost by very narrow margins like PyeongChang did. I think Madrid & the Spanish Olympic Committee are reading too much into the "perseverance" angle by PyeongChang. The 2 are distinctly different.

As has been pointed out, all the cities bidding this time around have had recent failed bids. Three cities are going to feel hard-done-by whatever the IOC does this time around; the IOC will just have to ride out that particular storm when it comes.

Not concerned if this list only remains at 4. A couple of you talk as though Armageddon is going to happen, and none of these bidders could handle the task. I think this race is going to be tight among the European cities, and I still think there is a chance we may get a surprise bidder that won't make the short list.

France was utterly foolish to put forth a Annency bid, and then rule out 2020. This race could have been theirs to loose if only they didn't get distracted with a Winter bid that had no chance for success.

I think Istanbul has some very strong arguments as to why they should host, but it will be interesting to see their proposals.

Well, it may be only four (so far), but what an intriguing and strong four, IMO! I could easily see any of those declared so far as being able to host a pretty good games - and I'd probably expect them all to make the candidate list (assuming that Istanbul comes out with a good, workable plan, which I expect they will).

Anyway, maybe the IOC system is starting to work now and the likes of the Havanas, Bakus etc have learned not to bother with their dubious applicant bids that only last a few months till they're chopped anyway.

Or maybe the odd long shot will still be declared - which would only be icing on the back of what I see as four very viable bids.

I actually don't remember this! Have you got a link?

Yeh, I rhave it from a spanish newspaper, if you speak spanish then:

http://www.elconfidencial.com/espana/indignacion-coi-madrid-2016-20091006.html

De manera absolutamente inexplicable e inédita hasta la fecha se ha llegado hasta el punto de insultar gravemente al presidente de la institución”, prosigue la fuente del COI, “al que se ha llamado reiteradamente ‘traidor’, y al que se ha difamado al acusarle de haber `dirigido las votaciones´, es decir, de imponer su criterio a los más de sesenta miembros que optaron por la candidatura de Río con toda la libertad que brinda un sistema de votaciones individual y secreto”.

This one was very harsh:

“No sabemos qué tipo de derechos adquiridos creía tener la candidatura española, pero organizar unos JJOO es una cosa muy seria. Esto no es el festival de Eurovisión, y si pensaban que por poner unos videos muy bien hechos y leer unos discursos muy emotivos es suficiente, están completamente equivocados. Y si no que se lo pregunten a Chicago y al presidente Obama, quienes por cierto no se han atrevido ni siquiera a hacer la menor insinuación tras ser eliminados en primera ronda, algo que bien hubieran podido interpretar como una auténtica humillación”.

En opinión del miembro del COI, “el comportamiento prepotente y antideportivo de los representantes de Madrid, además de empañar los aspectos más positivos de la candidatura, daña gravemente sus opciones de cara a los JJOO de 2020, y me atrevo a decir más: creo que la capital de España debería olvidarse de nuevos intentos de presentarse en favor de otras ciudades españolas que quieran recoger el testigo, porque lo ocurrido va a tardar tiempo en olvidarse”.

My english is not good but I could translate it if you people are interested but me translating from spanish to english wouldn't be better than a google translation. :)

That was the biggest mistake by the Madrid 2016 team. Anyway, it seems they've learned their lesson, and they've said only professional people will be in the 2020 bid committee. In other words, all those arrogant people from the previous bid will not be involved now. With this "measure" taken, and bearing in mind there will be 3 or 4 Spanish IOC members in 2013 who will help with the lobbying, I don't expect that incident to have any impact on the 2020 bid.

I can't see any city in Spain other than Madrid or Barcelona hosting the Olympics. Madrid's shot at winning is much better now than for 2016. If the IOC refuses our superb technical project for the third time in a row, then it will be clear they're not interested or that they prefer new frontiers to host or whatever. If that happens, I don't think Madrid will bid again until at least 2032.

Yeh, I know it should affect the 2020 bid but I'm not sure about that...

Let's say the final is Rome vs. Madrid.. Basically the same attractive, from the same region, both romantic countries, etc...

So in a tight race a IOC member may think: "well, it's virtually I draw but I'll vote for rome because of madrid's acccusations in 2016..."

Obviously that would not affect many members but 6-10 out of 200 could decide a tight race...

Well, it may be only four (so far), but what an intriguing and strong four, IMO! I could easily see any of those declared so far as being able to host a pretty good games - and I'd probably expect them all to make the candidate list (assuming that Istanbul comes out with a good, workable plan, which I expect they will).

Anyway, maybe the IOC system is starting to work now and the likes of the Havanas, Bakus etc have learned not to bother with their dubious applicant bids that only last a few months till they're chopped anyway.

Or maybe the odd long shot will still be declared - which would only be icing on the back of what I see as four very viable bids.

You can't compare Havana to Baku. I guess the money is simply not there to put up a "competitive" bid. Which it must in this modern age. That is of course, a professional pdf file and properly printed Applicant book, as well as a promotional website.

Baku has probably taken that logical rest, like Istanbul did for it would have better chances in 2024. However, being preoccupied with hosting the 2012 Eurovision might also be a key reason as to why they're not bidding for an Olympics this time round.

Shouldn't this be "clear" already. I mean it's not like Madrid has lost by very narrow margins like PyeongChang did.

Not really. For 2016, with everything against the bid, Madrid reached the final round, which is much more than what anyone could have expected. For 2012, Madrid's chances were slightly better, and even though it didn't reach the final, only one vote made the difference between Madrid and Paris. They may not be as narrow as PyeongChang's (although Madrid has always managed to win one round), but I don't think they can be considered crushing defeats either. For 2020, Spain will be more influential within the IOC, we'll see how this affects the outcome.

Yeh, I know it should affect the 2020 bid but I'm not sure about that...

Let's say the final is Rome vs. Madrid.. Basically the same attractive, from the same region, both romantic countries, etc...

So in a tight race a IOC member may think: "well, it's virtually I draw but I'll vote for rome because of madrid's acccusations in 2016..."

Obviously that would not affect many members but 6-10 out of 200 could decide a tight race...

I understand the IOC was angry with Spain and Japan after the voting. I can also understand why Spain and Japan were unhappy with the result, as they had been beaten by a bid that had scored more than 2 points less than them. I think the Madrid 2016 team should have stayed quiet, but anyway, the project itself is almost perfect and all those people will not be there for 2020. If the IOC bears grudge to the new people leading the 2020 bid, who had nothing to do with that, it would be really unfair and against their "Olympic spirit".

BTW, did the IOC say "organizing the Olympic Games is a very serious thing, this is not the Eurovision Song Contest, and if they thought playing some really good videos and making moving speeches is enough, they're completely wrong"? :blink: It's clear they don't like the ESC and they think it's a joke, but that sentence doesn't make any sense... Do they know how the ESC host is chosen? :huh:

Not really. For 2016, with everything against the bid, Madrid reached the final round, which is much more than what anyone could have expected. For 2012, Madrid's chances were slightly better, and even though it didn't reach the final, only one vote made the difference between Madrid and Paris. They may not be as narrow as PyeongChang's (although Madrid has always managed to win one round), but I don't think they can be considered crushing defeats either. For 2020, Spain will be more influential within the IOC, we'll see how this affects the outcome.

Yeah, it was unprecedented that Madrid made it to the final round. However, I would still say that 66-32 in the 2016 final vote IS a 'crushing defeat'. Akin to PyeongChang's overwhelming victory of 63-32 votes (combined) for the Munich & Annecy bids. It was quite clear for both 2016 & 2018 where the IOC wanted to go, & where they didn't. So I really wouldn't read too much into Madrid's 2016 final showing.

As for 2012, yeah they were also 1 vote behind Paris, but I'm still not convinced that Madrid has more than 1/3 solid supoort in the IOC that they had in the last 2 Summer races. Since if Madrid actually had or gained more support since the 2012 bid, the 2016 final vote would've been much closer than it actually was. Madrid just can't seem to get past that "32" number mark.

Yeah, it was unprecedented that Madrid made it to the final round. However, I would still say that 66-32 in the 2016 final vote IS a 'crushing defeat'. Akin to PyeongChang's overwhelming victory of 63-32 votes (combined) for the Munich & Annecy bids. It was quite clear for both 2016 & 2018 where the IOC wanted to go, & where they didn't. So I really wouldn't read too much into Madrid's 2016 final showing.

As for 2012, yeah they were also 1 vote behind Paris, but I'm still not convinced that Madrid has more than 1/3 solid supoort in the IOC that they had in the last 2 Summer races. Since if Madrid actually had or gained more support since the 2012 bid, the 2016 final vote would've been much closer than it actually was. Madrid just can't seem to get past that "32" number mark.

Good analysis. Plus, the OLD MAN is gone. I don't know if those who "owed" him would be beholden to his son (again). I mean, I would think they would've already "repaid" their debt to JAS, Sr., and would move on with their careers.

You can't compare Havana to Baku. I guess the money is simply not there to put up a "competitive" bid. Which it must in this modern age. That is of course, a professional pdf file and properly printed Applicant book, as well as a promotional website.

Baku has probably taken that logical rest, like Istanbul did for it would have better chances in 2024. However, being preoccupied with hosting the 2012 Eurovision might also be a key reason as to why they're not bidding for an Olympics this time round.

Or maybe they realise they can't win. Certainly (at this point in time), I put Baku in the "they've gotta be kidding themselves" category of potential Olympic hosts - I can't see the point of discussing them as serious contenders.

Archived