Only 4 bidders?

deawebo

Well, this would make all the talk about London mainly winning because of good lobbying, Tony Blair, a more compelling & adventurous project than any of the other bids, more focus on the youth in sports, etc all moot then. If in the end, Madrid could've simply toppled London in the final instead of Paris simply due to "2nd preferences".

But indeed lobbying explains most of the results of any Olympic bid. It is the main part of the final days of the competition and it involves among other things showcasing the project and its advantages.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pyeonchang shows that a bid that's head and shoulders above all others can win handily. Rio showed that a strong bid that's presented compelling can too. London showed that when there's more than one solid bid, it can come down to the politicking and the presentation. Britain's pitch to the youth of the world certainly helped I would guess.

For 2020 we've got Italy, Japan, Spain and Turkey. None will likely be a Pyeonchang 2018 bid. Any of them (or several of them) could be a solid bid. Istanbul and Turkey could be compelling though: new realm, strong emerging economy, first Muslim nation to host the OSG. Tokyo could be because of recovery from the disasters.

Still early days... :)

Pyeonchang shows that a bid that's head and shoulders above all others can win handily. Rio showed that a strong bid that's presented compelling can too. London showed that when there's more than one solid bid, it can come down to the politicking and the presentation. Britain's pitch to the youth of the world certainly helped I would guess.

For 2020 we've got Italy, Japan, Spain and Turkey. None will likely be a Pyeonchang 2018 bid. Any of them (or several of them) could be a solid bid. Istanbul and Turkey could be compelling though: new realm, strong emerging economy, first Muslim nation to host the OSG. Tokyo could be because of recovery from the disasters.

Still early days... :)

Pyeongchang's bid wasn't head and shoulders above all the others. It was very close with Munich and many would say Munich's was better.

Pyeongchang's bid wasn't head and shoulders above all the others. It was very close with Munich and many would say Munich's was better.

Of course Munich was way better... Well politcs said it was Korea's turn

Not really. It's the spirit of Olympism. The Games have to be shifted around and shared. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course thats true. I'm just saying Munich bid was better. But PyeongChang deserves the games more... They will do great olympics :)

Most things already built. All new infrastructure. Most compact design. Greener.

Munich's bid was strong; on merit Pyeonchang wins easily.

I have information that suggests Hong Kong was working on a preliminary bid in July and it was a race against time to announce a final bid. The source indicated it would be unlikely, but they were planning the bid.

Hong Kong?? I thought the public already turned down bidding for the 2019 Asian Games due to the economy and they have plans to go for the Olympics Games instead? Unlikely.

Hong Kong?? I thought the public already turned down bidding for the 2019 Asian Games due to the economy and they have plans to go for the Olympics Games instead? Unlikely.

Exactly, but this proposal is being run by Hong Kong's million/billionaires just like Toronto's was.

Id strongly support a bid from Hong Kong, but is there enough space to build an Olympic park there? Would they have to build an artificial island like what they did for the airport?

To be honest I don't think Hong Kong will bid but there have been discussions. (BTW the source is a friend that lives in Hong Kong)

ALRIGHT, Deawebo, there's a 5th!! BUt it's NOT like it's Paris or Berlin. It's one of those non-starter cities. I don't know why u r so excited by it. They're nothing but a spoiler bid. Maggots!!

Well... 4 bids just seemed a few, with 5 at least this seemes more intresting, by the way dont wait a Paris, or a Berlin bid at this moment... Maybe another backup.

Well, 6 by the moment...

That should be it because that alone would already fill up a whole day of FINAL presentations for the IOC. If a 7th bidder enters, then 2 will NOT make the Short List because 7 presentations would be TOO Long for the IOC and it would take 6 rounds (or more, in case of a tie). With 6 in the finals, it is still doable on Final Presentation day.

The delegations will just have to be cut down a bit, maybe from the original 50 supporters each bid when there were 4 (so 200 bodies for the delegations), to maybe 35 each (so about 210 bodies in the convention hall) for six bidders. And they may just limit the entire presentation and Q&A session to one hour each, vs. the 1:15 in the last 2018 presentations.

Boy, Mike Lee and Knowlton-Hill can just about name their prices now!! Those are the bidding consultants, just in case anyone is not familiar with their names.

OK, the big test is: WHAT ARE THE various BID CITIES' OPENING CEREMONY Plans? I have to see those now before I can evaluate how good their overll technical bid is. Emre, fatih -- do you think you could line up the prospective 2020 OC producers to give us an idea of Istanbul's Opening Ceremony? We need to see that next week!!

Archived