Only 4 bidders?

deawebo

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

Baku was a surprise, Havana was a surprise, etc.

It's funny: you don't consider incidental (but legitimate) costs for bids but you consider Baku and Havana bids 'legit' ones? You still got a lot to learn, Int. :rolleyes:

If a Baku or a Havana comes in at the last minute, then those will be the early sacrificail lambs who won't even make the Short list. With these 4 tried-and-true candidates now, the IOC doesn't have to do a Short list.

All silliness about Tulsa aside, I think the USOC is ultimately going to regret not participating in this race. This is not as strong of a field as it seems, and I think a strong U.S. bid could have had a great shot at winning.

They are NOT, repeat NOT, going to follow Rio with a north American city when you have strong repeat knockers like...OK, here's my acronym for 2024... MIRT (Madrid, Istanbul, Rome, Tokyo). Repeat continental hostings are reserved for Europe. (OK, there was the whole 1976 to 1988 stretch...but that was a fluke because for Winter 1980 and Summer 1984, they had NO bidders.)

Strategically, it doesn't make sense. The TV money for 2020 is already capped!! But with a U.S. candidate for 2022, the price of the next 4 Olympiads (2022 to 28) goes up by leaps and bounds...and THAT's when to position a U.S. city, preferrably a winter one because it's far easier to win a WOG than a summer one.

It's funny: you don't consider incidental (but legitimate) costs for bids but you consider Baku and Havana bids 'legit' ones? You still got a lot to learn, Int. :rolleyes:

If a Baku or a Havana comes in at the last minute, then those will be the early sacrificail lambs who won't even make the Short list. With these 4 tried-and-true candidates now, the IOC doesn't have to do a Short list.

I didn't consider either legitimate, I didn't even use the word "legitimate". All I said was those were a surprise bid (meaning it wasn't expected or it was so absurd). I think you need learn how to read. :lol:

^Not only that, but it's really not in the USOC's position to put forth a "strong bid" anyway. If the cities don't want too, how can the USOC force anyone to bid? They can't. I'm sure the USOC would like to bid but their hands are tied. Unless they wanna go with Tulsa, that is! :lol:

And really, like Baron said, Rio 2016 handicaps the Western Hemisphere anyway. So I don't see how the USOC would've had a "great shot". Like 2012, 2020 is Europe's to lose. And just these 4 bidders is all the IOC needs anyway. They are strong candidates that would've made a short-list anyway. For 2016, the IOC only chose 4 cities to move forward as candidates. Now if the only 4 that applied were along the lines of Baku, Doha, Havana & Tulsa :lol: Then the IOC would have something to be very concerned about, but not with the other four.

They are NOT, repeat NOT, going to follow Rio with a north American city when you have strong repeat knockers like...OK, here's my acronym for 2024... MIRT (Madrid, Istanbul, Rome, Tokyo). Repeat continental hostings are reserved for Europe. (OK, there was the whole 1976 to 1988 stretch...but that was a fluke because for Winter 1980 and Summer 1984, they had NO bidders.)

Well, what happens if there's another major earthquake/tsunami or nuclear meltdown in Japan? And then, to make matters worse, the economies of Spain and Italy have a complete meltdown? Their economies are in far worse shape right now than the U.S. economy. That would leave Istanbul as the only possible host. All of those things could happen between now and 2013, let alone now and 2020. A strong U.S. bid would look very attractive compared to those other possibilities.

I didn't consider either legitimate, I didn't even use the word "legitimate". All I said was those were a surprise bid (meaning it wasn't expected or it was so absurd). I think you need learn how to read. :lol:

No, but the fact that you even mention them sort of signifies that you consider them 'legit.'

Damn, I still don't understand why Paris wont bid... wtf? Seriously, what's the logic behind this? They're bitter they lost '12 to london?

Annecy's very sound loss probably doesn't help, either. And it seems that Paris has the notion that they prefer to bid for the "centennial", which doesn't appear to be a good strategy IMO.

Well, what happens if there's another major earthquake/tsunami or nuclear meltdown in Japan? And then, to make matters worse, the economies of Spain and Italy have a complete meltdown? Their economies are in far worse shape right now than the U.S. economy. That would leave Istanbul as the only possible host. All of those things could happen between now and 2013, let alone now and 2020. A strong U.S. bid would look very attractive compared to those other possibilities.

But even when the USOC offered the two best and biggest American cities, those 50 or so nuts turned them down, so why should they get offered a nice plum now when they want one? Tough sh*t; they should learn to play ball.

And who's to say, the US economy won't take a turn for the worse if an American city entered? I mean I hope not...for the sake of the world. As FYI said, other than Tulsa, NONE of the better contenders are interested in bidding for 2020.

Totally disagree with your wishful thinking. Anyway, it ain't happening...so no use crying over milk that wasn't even there.

Maybe it's Istanbul's time. After all, they've knocked 4x already. And should they win, that'll put a stop to those dubious, pesky Gulf sheikdom bids for awhile.

I won't be sorry if Istanbul makes it. I already got it in my signature!! :lol::lol:

A strong U.S. bid would look very attractive compared to those other possibilities.

Again, though. Who's going to front this "strong U.S. bid". No city in the U.S. that's worth it wants to go through the ringer (again). The IOC had this strong U.S. bid for 2016 & they said "thanks, but no thanks. See'ya around, suckers."

The fact that the other candidates have their issues doesn't change this fact that the USOC has absolutely no one legitimate to go with. But then again, there's Tulsa. :rolleyes:

And who's to say, the US economy won't take a turn for the worse if an American city entered? I mean I hope not...for the sake of the world.

Totally agree. Nothing is fool-proof. And even if Spain & Italy were to default (which I hope that they don't), that would spell BIG trouble for the E.U. & then subsequently the U.S. All these things are intertwined & if something goes wrong in one end, eventually it'll trickle down to the rest.

Memorabilia, why is that you give negative strikes against everyone that you don't seem to agree with. This isn't very objective & simply very petty of you. If you want to counter an agrument or chip in your 2 cents, then do so. Instead of being so trifling.

Istanbul is on!!! smile.gif

So, this race starts to get interesting since now emerging country x rich countries battle of arguments will be set here...

Gamesbids will be in fire again like Rio x rest in 2016 race.

I can already imagine Baron's jokes over Turkey... And "Arriba Chicagão", "Pereira the Piranha" stuff that will appear! biggrin.gif

Let's the battle begin.

Meanwhile no fight happens, I still think Madrid and Rome are favourite at this very moment.

And this can get even better if Tulsa surprisingly appears with their bid in the list...

This would be utterly funny! tongue.gif

Istanbul is on!!! smile.gif

So, this race starts to get interesting since now emerging country x rich countries battle of arguments will be set here...

Gamesbids will be in fire again like Rio x rest in 2016 race.

I can already imagine Baron's jokes over Turkey... And "Arriba Chicagão", "Pereira the Piranha" stuff that will appear! biggrin.gif

Let's the battle begin.

Meanwhile no fight happens, I still think Madrid and Rome are favourite at this very moment.

And this can get even better if Tulsa surprisingly appears with their bid in the list...

This would be utterly funny! tongue.gif

Depending on what Istanbul's actual plans are this time around, I really think that their chances would have greatly improved. Especially after all the infrastructure upgrades (& more still planned) since their last bid efforts. I think their only handicap now is getting the overwhemling support within the IOC. As for Tulsa, they can try for the YOG's if they want, lol.

Depending on what Istanbul's actual plans are this time around, I really think that their chances would have greatly improved. Especially after all the infrastructure upgrades (& more still planned) since their last bid efforts. I think their only handicap now is getting the overwhemling support within the IOC. As for Tulsa, they can try for the YOG's if they want, lol.

I heard Tulsa is even bidding for my vacations in november!!! laugh.gifwink.gif

Annecy's very sound loss probably doesn't help, either. And it seems that Paris has the notion that they prefer to bid for the "centennial", which doesn't appear to be a good strategy IMO.

Yeh, that would make a lot of sense if the US/Can were bidding, then they could at least hope US/Can to win...

Well, if they want the centennial Paris OG they should be as political active in the whole process as if they were in the bid... They need to help tokyo first and istanbul second. If they can convince some europeans allies to save the European vote for 2024 that would be great...

Anyway, even if Tokyo wins, 2024 that would be hard for Paris...

IMHO IOC will think USA first and Africa second...

2020 would be kinda easy for Paris because of the economic crisis and the threat Rogge made to spain to choose a different city other than Madrid because of the accusations of corruption that were made towards Rogge and the IOC after losing to Rio 2 years ago...

I don't think Madrid will win, so Paris real challenge would be Rome. (I think Turkey would go after the UEFA 2020 if paris had bid).

Well, now we can't do anything about it but I believe Parisians will regret their decision.

And who's to say, the US economy won't take a turn for the worse if an American city entered? I mean I hope not...for the sake of the world. As FYI said, other than Tulsa, NONE of the better contenders are interested in bidding for 2020.

American economy is solid and VERY VERY VERY dynamic compared to Europe.

USA can go on a small recession but nothing deeper than that. Europe on the other hand...

Anyway, Europe wouldn't 'survive' if the US went on a big crisis, so this option isn't a 'plus' for Europe...

Archived