Istanbul 2020 - Official Anouncement 13.08.2011

Istanbul is in the 2020 Race

Turkey choose for the candidancy of the Olympic Games instead of the organization for Euro2020.

The anouncement will be made by Turkish Prime Minister R. Tayyip Erdogan at the Istanbul Olympic House today at 14.00 (Turkey time) | 13.00 CET

I hope that there will be a Livecoverage Link via the TRT-Live ==> http://www.trt.net.tr/Canli/canli.aspx?Kanal=TV1

For those who are interested try to click next to the livestream-screen to TRT1 | TRT-Haber | TRT3-spor

43081313786.jpg?83584229253

link: http://www.fotomac.com.tr/Genel/2011/08/13/olimpiyati-sectik

atakyolimpiyatevidomeya.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GoogleMaps | Istanbul OlimpiyatHouse

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, they're not going for both? Well that is interesting.

Sensible given that both UEFA and the IOC would question their commitment if they bid for two events for the summer of 2020, though in my opinion they've plumped for the long shot. I think they'd have been favourites for Euro 2020, but they're not for the Olympics.

Best of luck to Turkey though. I hope the IOC are at the very least impressed that Turkey is missing out on a strong chance at hosting the Euros to focus entirely on the Olympics; that has to count for something.

I'm watching now Live on TV the PRE-Programme .. will give a summary information about what I've heard.

Meanwhile there is a delay about 1 Hour, The Prime Minister has just left his office; The presentator of the PRE-Programme is speaking with about 15 presidents of their respectively Sport Federation. Modern Pentathlon, Canoe, Volleyball, etc .. All the 60 Sport (including all the Olympic)Sport Federations are present. They have worked all in coordination in the last second lap of 5-6 years with the Turkish OC.

Further information is given; All of the Federations have organised till now an European and/or World organizasations in their own branches, if not seniors/juniors and so on.

The president has a bussy live of course. He's allways in contact with his minister of foreign affairs .. coordinating the Syrian issue nowadays. But about over 45 min/1 hour .. The official announcement will be made. I will keep you intouch about the developements.

regards

fatih

OK .. the President is at his seat. The microfphone is infront of him.

The programme begins. There is at the moment no live-stream but I will follow it live on tv and inform simultaniously .. ;)

* we are today here to announce are candidancy

* we are aware of the fact that the Olympics are important for world peace/humanity

* Olympics are a meeting of differnt cultures and civilisations

* A festival in Friendship

* The Olympic Flame will be a handsome icon for the soil in this region and to increase peace in the region

* Istanbul is not only a unique city between 3 continents but also of different civilisations

* The economical development favors us and are growing rapidly as a country (also recognised by other int. ec. org)

* We constructed great large and a lot of sports venues .. and don't need anymore maquettes to present ourselves

* Istanbul, Sinan Erdem is a gorgious building and icon of the city. Also the Olympic Stadium and TT-Arena

* New build World Indoor Atletism venue is next to this basketball temple

* New Aqua center is programmed and will be constructed in the shortest time

* Universiaded 2005 summer and 2011 winter + F1 + UEFA finals + Eyof and he sums also other ones

* These references gave us a lot experiences and the know-how .. stronger now for bigger organisations on bigger scales

* Other ones .. Woman WTA tennis for 3 years in a row / short course swimming / Medditereanean games / Fiba Woman (continues)

.. (it goes fast .. ) I have difficulties to write faster .. :lol:

* The experiences made in the previous consecutive bids strengthern us and will strengther our bid now

* Did not experience yet the winning moment when I was mayor of the Istnabul metropolitan municipality

* We learned a lot of our weeknesses and other criteria ..

* We are now on table not with maqettes but with real venues and palmares of organizations

* I deeply believe that the olympics will make istanbul more handsome and beautiful as a bicontinental city

* He told also about the Olympism Spirit and that that is important for generations to come

* Hereby I announce; Istanbul is offical candidate for the 2020 Olympic Games!

* If there are questions .. I will be more than happy to receive them. (now the questions part began)

// The first question came by an English Speaking man .. sounded more American English than British Engish.

// The question was about the potential of the organisation and the learning of wich mistakes there were happen in the previous bids

// 2nd question is coming from CNN-Türk - What is the IOC precisly expecting from a city that is candidate for the Olympics and if there were differences in the criteria with the candidancies in the previous candidate procedures. (questioned more towards the venue aspect)

// 2nd question is coming from CNN-Türk - What is the IOC precisly expecting from a city that is candidate for the Olympics and if there were differences in the criteria with the candidancies in the previous candidate procedures. (questioned more towards the venue aspect)

// The president is now talking about the transport system .. what is reached now as it was one of the weakest aspects in the previous bids.

// All the transportation rail systems are finished that will serve the plan/clusters

// But more will be done is be done .. the main-speed-line beneath the bosphorus-street / a totally new aiport /

// 3rd question is from the HOST CITY MAGAZINE (in english)

// What did you learn about the organizations already organised/given to other cities? (missed the second part of the question)

// 4th question about why choosing for the Olympics 2020 instead of the Euro2020? (in poor english)

// We are ready to organise both of the Organisations as a country .. As a PM I can say that powerfully

// 5th question in Turkish about how new generations will be grow up with olympism (What; more a social program towards whole the country)

// The new generations will be grew up in Turkey with the Olympic Spirit as it is included already in daily school courses(also a law about that)

// 6th question SABAH journal : Did the saying of Rogge gave an impact to be candidate firstly for the Olympics (did miss second part)

// Olympics gave always an impact on me and as an PM I will follow whole the procedure personally (he quarantees that)

So after 4 successive tries, Turkey's hostings between now AND 2013 MUST BE exemplary. Since Turkey does not have the same athletic strength yet as Italy and Spain, Turkey's organizational reputation is at stake here. Word must get out to the various federations that Turkey has organized the various, smaller competitions before 2013 excellently. This is key to your 2020 bid. Because what you want people to hear is: what a great, smoothly-run Games...NOT what a bush-league, f*cked-up amateur effort! If they CAN'T conduct a small regional games properly, what more the biggest sporting meet in the whole world? So no fvck-ups in the various meets that you have sought to host.

If the Evaluation reports are more or less equal or neutral, 2020 will then be won at the final presentation stage in Buenos Aires. As I said in the other post: Asian votes might tilt towards Tokyo in the opening round. (Istanbul will probably get the islamic votes). Rome and Madrid will split the Euro votes. But it is going to be a wide open race for the American (north) and African votes. The South American votes will split between Madrid and Rome (Argentina will probably lean towards Rome). And it is in the final presentation that Istanbul must grab the scattered, uncommitted votes to get to at least Round 2.

Security issues: Istanbul MUST SHOW that any sort of radical muslim activities happening between now and 2020, will NOT be tolerated on Turkish soil and if so, will be dealt with promptly. If that is under control AND excellent organizational prowess has been displayed, then I think Istanbul MIGHT have a very strong bid.

Good luck, Istanbul!! Hire Mike Lee before Rome or Tokyo grabs him!! I think he can deliver 2020 for you!!

I did miss a lot .. But will write some other sentences about what the PM is saying at the moment

* Turkey build a lot in the last deccenia; freeways, roads, speed-rails in whole of the country (he sums name of Turkish cities)

* With all the sport organisations and all the new venues been build (eastetically and tecnically seen)

* Turkey is mentally and phisically ready for the Olympics more than ever.

// The sports minister has spoken.

* Whole the government, country, metropolitan city, citizens of Istanbul, and all the ministers/cabinet are backing %100 this candidancy

// Mayor of the Metropolitan City

* Waterwasting issues and Greenery in the city, the air-quality is increased immensely in the last deccade .. we worked a lot on those issues

* About the accomodation issue; Istanbul will surprise on that, because a lot of luxuary is beeing biuld.

* 1.600 km fiberoptic cables in whole of Istanbul (more than other world cities)

* And the first lap climax will be in 2012 when Istanbul is the Sports Capital of Europe

* The under-construction about cables/pipelines (water/gas and so on) is been build.

* The city has cleaned up more than people would expect. (istanbul is more than ready)

* A cleaner and a more eastacially city is the outcome of all our efforts and works

OK .. and now the official announcement meeting comes to an end. The last question came by the female president of the Turkish Sailing Federation. Prime Minister Erdogan undersigns now under the photo-flashes the candidancy papers wich will send to the IOC.

Hoo .. my fingers are tired now .. hehe .. B)

There was the PRE-programme .. now there is an After-programme.

The presidents of the other sports-federations are in the row now as they weren't in the PRE-programme.

But Firstly a lot of questions towards KADIR TOPBAS; Mayor of the Istanbul Metropolitan City.

He talks about the the economical powerhouse that Istanbul became and The talks also about the New CANAL-ISTANBUL about ±50 km that will be build to solve the immense shipping traffic on the bosphorus.

In the past 2 times there were big ship-explosians .. and now the the immensely increased shipping-trafic is a danger not only for an Olympic Organization but also for the City itself, as a lot of ships or waiting on the Shores of the Sea of Marmara to pass the street. That also doesn't give a clean and aestetically view about the city.

With the new Canal the bosphorus will be used for daily lessure for the city/cititezens in general. And an Olymic Organization will also benefit optimally from the street (outdoor swimming, triatlon, sailing and so on) with the historical Backdrop of the Histrocial Peninsula.

"With 2020 Istanbul will be a top class city that will serve the world" he says.

being a schizophrenic maniac just taking the declaration time as 14,45 the potentional of the candidancy i can say control your backs rome madrid and tokyo... as a leo sign good at organizing and the horoscope has some significant parts for work and int. relations like,

Istanbul

* knows what she wants and does whatever necessary to get it. She wants to - and does - succeed socially

* full of dynamism and over-abundant energy. She loves life and takes all it has to offer. She likes sports and the outdoor life. She is successful professionally and emotionally

* likes to direct, is intelligent and is an organizer of the first order

* can concentrate on a long-term task, manual or intellectual. She perseveres and is serious in everything she does.

* Success in professional life will be long and laborious. Continuously working towards it, she will finally achieve universally acknowledged success.

capricorn at 2nd house at carrier and money.. means working hard, a proffesional nothing left for chance ...

another point of view for the candidancy :D

good luck for my first and eternal love. this time i hope we achieve and see the olympic flame at Bosphorus

Istanbul is the ONLY city in the world that can rival with Rome

(Historically seen/Historical Patrimonium)

click to see the Historical Backdrop of Constantinople (back in time) ==> http://www.arkeo3d.com/byzantium1200/tiles.html

Istanbul's Historical Penunsula is ready to serve the World and the Olympics in 2020 .. Let the Oriental Flavour coulour your eyes ;)

istanbul2020olympicgame.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

m_olimpiyat-1_k.jpg

From left to right:

1) Ugur ERDENER; IOC member for Turkey since 2008 + President of FITA (world archery federation) http://www.archery.com + Biography

2) Suat KILIC; Minister of Sport

3) Recep Tayyip ERDOGAN; Turkish Prime Minister

4) Avni MUTLU; Governor of Istanbul

5) Kadir TOPBAS; Mayor Metropolitan City of Istanbul

Source Photos: http://www.zaman.com.tr/haber.do?haberno=1168741&title=erdogan-2020-olimpiyat-adayligini-acikladi

olimpiyat-2.jpg

olimpiyat-5.jpg

olimpiyat-6.jpg

m_olimpiyat-1_k.jpg

From left to right:

1) Ugur ERDENER; IOC member for Turkey since 2008 + President of FITA (world archery federation) http://www.archery.com + Biography

2) Suat KILIC; Minister of Sport

3) Recep Tayyip ERDOGAN; Turkish Prime Minister

4) Avni MUTLU; Governor of Istanbul

5) Kadir TOPBAS; Mayor Metropolitan City of Istanbul

Source Photos: http://www.zaman.com.tr/haber.do?haberno=1168741&title=erdogan-2020-olimpiyat-adayligini-acikladi

olimpiyat-2.jpg

olimpiyat-5.jpg

olimpiyat-6.jpg

Archived