Past loosers

deawebo

Well if you listened to the U.S. media. It was SHOCK that we didn't get it. It was complete utter SHOCK that we were the first ones out.

Yes, I remember the CNN live coverage!

;)

I had my cold cash with the bookies already on Rio a month out.

I don't think either of those were highly favourd to win. Chicago's main shock was that it went out first.

I disagree. Many pundits had Chicago as a favorite. Tokyo & Madrid hardly ever registered. And Rio in many cases, was seen as the dark horse.

I think Rio's main advantage came a few weeks right before the vote, & especially when the IOC's Evaluation Report came out praising Rio & nit-picking over everybody else.

I remember back in 2001, the Toronto bid was even reluctant to say they have a chance in winning until the day of the vote. Even then they said they needed to be in the final round to go up against Beijing one on one to have a shot.

If I have to pick ONE Olympic loser, I'd probably say Paris. That lost for 2012 was probably really hard to swallow, especially they lost to London.

Really hard to swallow quite possibly but I don't think the biggest shock. Well, perhaps to the "media narrative" that had built up around that race it was but it was clear to most close watchers that it wasn't going to be a Paris walkover and that London also had a great chance, along with Madrid.

And I agree, Chicago going out first was a shock, but it not winning wasn't. Certainly by the week of the vote it looked very much like it was going Rio's way.

This is TRULY one of the dumbest threads ever posted here on GB. I mean what is the POINT of picking the BIGGEST LOSER? How do you quantify the BIGGEST LOSING points? The amount of disappointment and hurt that the losers felt? Is "Oh, OK, I came in 3rd" better than 4th? They're all still RUNNERS-UP.

I suppose in some perverse way it is, but I really CAN'T fathom ANY REDEEMING value to this thread.

Oh yeah, I'll run so at least I'll get 2nd place and X city will be the bottom man?? :rolleyes:Was Waterloo bigger/better than Dunkirk? :blink:

This is TRULY one of the dumbest threads ever posted here on GB.

If you don't like this thread you don't have to post in it saying how much you hate it. It's that simple.

Speak for yourself. R u now the spokesman for the entire board? :rolleyes:

No, and I am speaking for myself from the point of i'm giving you my opinion on this thread according to the thread's guidelines which is. " Which were the biggest losers in bidding" This isn't a thread about every loser this is a thread for a bid that was thought to win but ended up losing like a Paris 2012 or from a U.S. side Chicago 2016. Look if I dont like a Tv show I turn the channel and never come back, the same thing applies here. Now let's stop before we have another 10 page argument that's off topic.

this is a thread for a bid that was thought to win but ended up losing like a Paris 2012 or from a U.S. side Chicago 2016.

Yeah, but nearly everyone here has their "favorite" race so it's NOT going to be limited to the 2012 and 2016 races. That's why it's come out looking so stupid and the height of negativity. I mean does it really matter if you are Miss 2nd, 3rd or 4th runnerup? You still didn't get the Miss Universe crown. So is this thread to explore the depths of despair that the losing bids underwent...and let's revisit those moments for old times' sakes?

Hey, I'm NOT ready to give up on this discussion yet. You should know me by now...but I guess you don't.

Yeah, but nearly everyone here has their "favorite" race so it's NOT going to be limited to the 2012 and 2016 races. That's why it's come out looking so stupid and the height of negativity. I mean does it really matter if you are Miss 2nd, 3rd or 4th runnerup? You still didn't get the Miss Universe crown. So is this thread to explore the depths of despair that the losing bids underwent...and let's revisit those moments for old times' sakes?

Hey, I'm NOT ready to give up on this discussion yet. You should know me by now...but I guess you don't.

This is not a discussion this is just a guy who doesn't want to leave because he got called out. Look i'm not going to do a 10 page argument which you so much desire. This is just pointless you know it and I know it, you just are afraid to end an agrument so don't worry i'll end it for your sake. i'm not GOING to respond to any thing you say on this thread, were going to both move on and forget this happened. OK? BYE!!!

This is not a discussion this is just a guy who doesn't want to leave because he got called out. Look i'm not going to do a 10 page argument which you so much desire. This is just pointless you know it and I know it, you just are afraid to end an agrument so don't worry i'll end it for your sake. i'm not GOING to respond to any thing you say on this thread, were going to both move on and forget this happened. OK? BYE!!!

Blah-blah-blah.

It's NOT over till I say so. And you're still wrong.

Now, it's OVER. There. :P

Archived