Past loosers

deawebo

I don't know if I'd put Chicago or Salzburg among the "shocking" losers.

Chicago was something unexpected by many, i remember most people in the forums couldn't believe it got less votes at the first round

Chicago was something unexpected by many, i remember most people in the forums couldn't believe it got less votes at the first round

Agreed, it was a shock it went out in the first round - even the IOC members appeared surprised by that. But i don't think it was a surprise that it didn't win - Rio sure had a strong tailwind by the time of the vote.

Shocking:

2002 Quebec City

!?!?

:blink:

You really should learn to take your Maple Leaf goggles off!

Even Dick Pound (read his book "Inside The Rings") tried to tell the COC that it had virtually no hope of snaring 2002 with QC and tried to dissuade them from biding.

My God, we're really scouring the bottom of the barrel with dedicated threads like these, daewebo (BTW, is that Korean-inspired handle?). I mean along the other, MORE DYNAMIC discussions, major losers are often referenced -- so it's NOT like an unknown subject. I don't really see your point in starting a new thread on this. Pretty much for every winner, especially in selection processes before and after the slim years of (1970-1985), there would be an average of 3.5 losing cities to every winner, in both summer & winter.

So, really what's your new point here? :blink:

!?!?

:blink:

You really should learn to take your Maple Leaf goggles off!

Even Dick Pound (read his book "Inside The Rings") tried to tell the COC that it had virtually no hope of snaring 2002 with QC and tried to dissuade them from biding.

I was two when Salt Lake won its bid so I had no real judgment. By reading old articles and watching the bid video it seemed like it was a shock loss. Also considering Atlanta won in 1996 Quebec should have been the likely choice if the games were going to NA in 2002.

So relax a bit. :lol:

I was two when Salt Lake won its bid so I had no real judgment. By reading old articles and watching the bid video it seemed like it was a shock loss. Also considering Atlanta won in 1996 Quebec should have been the likely choice if the games were going to NA in 2002.

So relax a bit. :lol:

Bidders always think they have a chance to win ... there'd be no point bidding if they expected to lose. And the local media will always hype their chances. But really, QC was dead in the water all through that race. The shock was that it made the short list with its downhill venue.

Bidders always think they have a chance to win ... there'd be no point bidding if they expected to lose. And the local media will always hype their chances. But really, QC was dead in the water all through that race. The shock was that it made the short list with its downhill venue.

I'd totally agree Quebec isn't the best choice, Toronto is :lol:

I'd totally agree Quebec isn't the best choice, Toronto is :lol:

Don't sweat it - we're all a bit guilty of overestimating our local flagbearers. My emotional connection to Oz for the 2022 WC race, and Munich for the 2018, sure clouded my ability to judge those races correctly.

Re Toronto: I hope you're not referring to the 2008 brace. About the only people who DIDN'T strongly expect Beijing to win easily were the Parisians and Torontoans (is that the term?).

Don't sweat it - we're all a bit guilty of overestimating our local flagbearers. My emotional connection to Oz for the 2022 WC race, and Munich for the 2018, sure clouded my ability to judge those races correctly.

Re Toronto: I hope you're not referring to the 2008 brace. About the only people who DIDN'T strongly expect Beijing to win easily were the Parisians and Torontoans (is that the term?).

Torontonians.

I was referring to a future Toronto bid (hopefully 2020) :lol:

As for 2008 Toronto had the best bid, but the IOC couldn't refuse China again.

As for 2022, I hate the fact Qatar won. The only logical choice would have been OZ keeping with the new destinations theme (Qatar isn't even close to qualifying for 2014) Russia is emerging so 2018 made sense.

Torontonians.

I was referring to a future Toronto bid (hopefully 2020) :lol:

As for 2008 Toronto had the best bid, but the IOC couldn't refuse China again.

As for 2022, I hate the fact Qatar won. The only logical choice would have been OZ keeping with the new destinations theme (Qatar isn't even close to qualifying for 2014) Russia is emerging so 2018 made sense.

For 2022, honestly, I hoped for Oz, thought it was 50-50 between oz and the USA, but sorta expected the USA would probably rain on our parade. But I sure didn't see Qatar as even a realistic contender.

Meh, in hindsight, I'm gladnow we didn't win. Those grapes we would've won would have been really sour and rotten.

By reading old articles and watching the bid video it seemed like it was a shock loss. Also considering Atlanta won in 1996 Quebec should have been the likely choice if the games were going to NA in 2002.

And what old articles were those. Cuz everything that I've read on the subject suggested the opposite. Salt Lake's bid was the 'best' of the lot for that race, & especially Quebec's as rols pointed out.

And yeah, Atlanta had won 1996, but many times have some of you argued that the Summer & Winter Games shouldn't be intertwined. And considering that Canada had hosted with Calgary the last Winter Olympics in North America, & Quebec's bid had it's issues & it was Salt Lake's 2nd bid & the U.S.' 4th consecutive Winter bid at the time, Salt Lake City only made to be the 'likely choice' if the *Winter Games* were coming back to North America for 2002.

This intoronto is getting to be tiring. Every f*cking post is about lost Canuck opptys or f*cking Toronto again. Jeez Xt, not even Mr. X was that bad. Intoronto (I'm beginning to think that's short for Imbecile Toronto), give it a rest will ya. We try to be civil and entertain your concerns and issues but frankly it is GETTING ridiculous!

This intoronto is getting to be tiring. Every f*cking post is about lost Canuck opptys or f*cking Toronto again. Jeez Xt, not even Mr. X was that bad. Intoronto (I'm beginning to think that's short for Imbecile Toronto), give it a rest will ya. We try to be civil and entertain your concerns and issues but frankly it is GETTING ridiculous!

How so, go through my posts I haven't mentioned Toronto on most of them.

You need to relax, read over my posts again before you snap like that again. Isn't this the same thing as you bringing up Reno elsewhere?

Well we will never know how 2002 would have played out if it had been a level playing field (i.e. no bribary). I would assume that since SLC won handly (54-14-14-7) that they would have won regardless, but one does wonder with regards to Ostersund.

And like I said, there has been a lot more surprises in the past then in the present. Seoul beating Nagoya, Montreal beating both LA and Moscow, Squaw Valley (probably the ultimate surprise, especially in retrospec), Mexico City, the US going 52 years without a summer games, Calgary winning, Abertville, Barcelona, Atlanta. 2000 was the ultimate race, Berlin starting out as the favourite, Beijing coming under the good graces of Samaranch and then Sydney stealing the show at the final moment. But since then, Athens wasn't surprising, Salt Lake neither, Beijing, Vancouver. Even in many ways London wasn't surprising, Paris was the favourite but anyone watching the race knew that Madrid, London or Paris could have been the eventual winner. Sochi was not aswell and Pyeongchang winning was the ultimate in anti-climatic finish.

How so, go through my posts I haven't mentioned Toronto on most of them.

You need to relax, read over my posts again before you snap like that again. Isn't this the same thing as you bringing up Reno elsewhere?

Oh come on now you and I both know that's not true. :rolleyes: We get it, you want Toronto we understand we really do.

But you do have a point on Reno :lol:

My God, we're really scouring the bottom of the barrel with dedicated threads like these, daewebo (BTW, is that Korean-inspired handle?). I mean along the other, MORE DYNAMIC discussions, major losers are often referenced -- so it's NOT like an unknown subject. I don't really see your point in starting a new thread on this. Pretty much for every winner, especially in selection processes before and after the slim years of (1970-1985), there would be an average of 3.5 losing cities to every winner, in both summer & winter.

So, really what's your new point here? :blink:

his point is the country's that bidded and were favorite to win but instead were shocked when they lost. This isn't a thread dedicated to every losing bid out there.

I don't know if I'd put Chicago or Salzburg among the "shocking" losers.

Yeap! Those where shoking loosers... Everyone expected Chicago at least as the runner up! PyeongChang also.... Well they finally the got 2018

Yeap! Those where shoking loosers... Everyone expected Chicago at least as the runner up! PyeongChang also.... Well they finally the got 2018

Well, I disagree. I don't think either of those were highly favourd to win. Chicago's main shock was that it went out first.

Well, I disagree. I don't think either of those were highly favourd to win. Chicago's main shock was that it went out first.

Well if you listened to the U.S. media. It was SHOCK that we didn't get it. It was complete utter SHOCK that we were the first ones out.

Archived