Lake Placid 2020

Well fingers crossed that the Youth olympics are dead by 2020.

They will not be dead... they will continue better and stronger !

You should have attended the first one in Singapore to get the confirmation that it was truly an event that fits well to the future of athletes (in term of sport, culture & education) and for nations that could not afford the Olympics.

No Feedback yet on Winter YOG, but I am sure it will be the same. Only difficulties will be in keeping the same program... may be they will have to skip Bobsleigh & Luge !

You should have attended the first one in Singapore to get the confirmation that it was truly an event that fits well to the future of athletes (in term of sport, culture & education) and for nations that could not afford the Olympics.

No Feedback yet on Winter YOG, but I am sure it will be

the same. Only difficulties will be in keeping the same program... may be they will have to skip Bobsleigh & Luge !

Yes, they will be stronger.... I think also some undevolopped countries can be perfect hosts! Such as Guatemala and CA, African countries...

No Feedback yet on Winter YOG, but I am sure it will be the same. Only difficulties will be in keeping the same program... may be they will have to skip Bobsleigh & Luge !

Lake Placid has a track for luge/bobsleigh. I believe one of the main reasons why Kuopio lost its bid for 2012 was, because there was no sliding events proposed.

DO juniors even use bobsled & luge? I mean isn't that sport really just for seniors, considering that death in Vancouver also?

Maybe Reno should bid for 2020 to get a dryrun for 2022?? Hmmmmmmmm...

100% sure any city will not get 2020 and 2022 as they are both being decided in 2015, I believe.

Yup they are competing in Innsbruck, in fact the FIBT (international bobsleigh federation) requested a change of age limits for both of its events (from 18 to 19) which is reasonable.

That was last year!?!? :huh: I never heard a word about it. The only reason I ever heard about it was because one day I was googling 2012 and it just popped up. I'm not sure about other countrys but there is ZERO marketing going on in the U.S. for the YOGS. I'm sure if Lake Placid hosted there would still be zero marketing going on for it.

I can only speak for my country here cause I have no idea how big it is outside the U.S. but I have seen other people on here have the same problems as I have with it. I wouldn't like to see Lake Placid bid for the YOGs until we get this debt thing under control. Hate to waiste money on such a little event here.

That was last year!?!? :huh: I never heard a word about it. The only reason I ever heard about it was because one day I was googling 2012 and it just popped up. I'm not sure about other countrys but there is ZERO marketing going on in the U.S. for the YOGS. I'm sure if Lake Placid hosted there would still be zero marketing going on for it.

I can only speak for my country here cause I have no idea how big it is outside the U.S. but I have seen other people on here have the same problems as I have with it. I wouldn't like to see Lake Placid bid for the YOGs until we get this debt thing under control. Hate to waiste money on such a little event here.

Exactly, in Canada they didn't show the ceremonies, I had to get a feed from the official website and they only show half hour highlight packages that weren't produced by the consortium. In hindsight they showed the games with incurring any additional costs. :lol:

DO juniors even use bobsled & luge? I mean isn't that sport really just for seniors, considering that death in Vancouver also?

Maybe Reno should bid for 2020 to get a dryrun for 2022?? Hmmmmmmmm...

Exactly, also the country that gets 2020 will not get 2022, so Reno luck for 2026 ;)

Exactly, also the country that gets 2020 will not get 2022,

How do you know this? Is this an IOC rule? I mean they've only awarded one YOG, so where did you come up with this 'edict'? Wouldn't the IOC want another city interested in their 'add-on' Games? If anything, hosting a YOG in an upcoming host city would amortize the expenditures set aside for the mere 2-week festival; it would serve as a logistic dry-run for the actual event. So to me, it actually makes complete common sense to give it to the most likely winner for the WOG immediately following it. But that's just me.

How do you know this? Is this an IOC rule? I mean they've only awarded one YOG, so where did you come up with this 'edict'? Wouldn't the IOC want another city interested in their 'add-on' Games? If anything, hosting a YOG in an upcoming host city would amortize the expenditures set aside for the mere 2-week festival; it would serve as a logistic dry-run for the actual event. So to me, it actually makes complete common sense to give it to the most likely winner for the WOG immediately following it. But that's just me.

Its just an assumption, but both games are being awarded at the same IOC session, would it be likely to award both games to one city?

Its just an assumption, but both games are being awarded at the same IOC session, would it be likely to award both games to one city?

Why not? the YOGS and the actual olympics are 2 different games. why would one play into another?

WHy not? Why do they have test events the year before? Why do they couple the Paralympix (after) the regular Games? Because, logistically, it makes more sense.

Rember the IOC is kindda politic, so the member wouldnt like to give the host to the same contry two years before..... Just politics stuff

WHy not? Why do they have test events the year before? Why do they couple the Paralympix (after) the regular Games? Because, logistically, it makes more sense.

Yes that all makes sense, but if the city is the only one in the running for the youth games then I think it would be fine.

The Youth Olympics were never meant to be a major spectacul. They were meant to be a very local event that brought the Olympics to cities that could never host the main games (think Vienna, Brussels, Rotterdam, Budapest etc.) Singapore was a great success for Singapore, for the athletes and for the organizers. Singapore has a great local sports infrastructure now and it brought a lot of youth into the Olympic movement and brought the games to Singapore.

It is doubtful the US will host a youth games in the next few decades because there is no way a city/state would want to take on the 250 to 500 million pricetag of the games when there is little in the way of being able to provide for a financing method that could be profitable to any private sector investor.

The Youth Olympics were never meant to be a major spectacul. They were meant to be a very local event that brought the Olympics to cities that could never host the main games (think Vienna, Brussels, Rotterdam, Budapest etc.) Singapore was a great success for Singapore, for the athletes and for the organizers. Singapore has a great local sports infrastructure now and it brought a lot of youth into the Olympic movement and brought the games to Singapore.

It is doubtful the US will host a youth games in the next few decades because there is no way a city/state would want to take on the 250 to 500 million pricetag of the games when there is little in the way of being able to provide for a financing method that could be profitable to any private sector investor.

Pretty sure 2020 is coming to Western World. Europe? Like you said maybe a Brussels or a Budapest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If Lake Placid were to bid for the Youth Winter Games, that event would attract more athletes than competed in the 1980 Olympic Winter Games. However, in 2010, NBC did a story on former Olympic host cities and locations and how well those places have been able to build on their Olympic legacy. Of all the places they listed, they ranked Lake Placid as number one.

Its Olympic venues are not only operational, but constantly updated. The luge and bob runs are new in the past five years and meet current Olympic standards. The ski jumps are also current and have been renovated. Both the 1980 field house and 1932 area have been updated with a fourth rink under construction. The venues are in use year round and the USOC maintains a large training facility in LP. LP hosts a variety of national and internnational competitions and tournaments each year.

The village is always packed with visitors and athletes and the Olympic spirit practically drips from the trees. There are more hotel rooms now than in 1980. The place is prospering and is as beautiful as ever.

My guess is that if the village forms an organizing committee and goes for it, it would have a real shot and, oddly enough, the state of NY would support it simply because it has invested so much in renovating and operating all of the venues. I hope that it happens.

Archived