2 miles from Olympic Park, London burns...

Michelle

These riots are now escalating, with areas in Brixton, Hackney and Lewisham coming under attack. Rob, what is exactly the problem here? Is this an economic or racial problem that London is experiencing? From afar, it appears to be mostly Black youths who are fighting police. Can you confirm this?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I think there is a big difference between the London and Vancouver riots. Vancouver's riot was mostly a drunken escapade of youngsters who thought they had free range to destroy and loot. Most of them were first time offenders and dumb drunk kids from the suburbs. London's riots seem to have a gang element to them. The Facebook and social media outings that were common after the Vancouver riot were naming and shaming people who didn't have a group of thugs behind them to threaten and intimidate any would be vigilantes. It seems that those in London do. At least from this distance.

Disturbances now spreading to the Northern English cities of Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester.

I'm not sure where this is heading, but the politicians in England need to be more vocal and show some leadership.

Hopefully, like what happened in Vancouver, people are taking photos/video and the rioters can be exposed and ID'ed online.

Proving difficult. I'm watching scenes on TV, which are now being broadcast on the French news networks, and the rioters are wearing hooded tops and scarves around their nose and mouth.

Michelle, you really are a scaremongerer. Leeds has had a shooting, Birmingham has had a few windows broken in it's main shopping centre and I live in the centre of Manchester(opposite the main shopping centre) and there is absolute quiet and not a single siren to be heard. I wish you would shut the hell up. These riots may well spread but I think we could all do without you reporting situations before they have actually happened.

This is really upsetting. Croydon's not a particularly poor area compared with other parts of London and these people aren't protesting anything. These cunts need to be sent to the front line and their faces used to clear landmines.

There comes a point where it stops being about the incident that triggered it and just becomes an opportunity for mayhem and looting and people thinking they can get away with this kind of behaviour. Sadly, every society has this level of douchebaggery living within it, be it Los Angeles, Vancouver, or London.

What strikes me is that London, back in 2005, talked of its multi diversity, being at the heart and soul of it's bid. And the irony of that is clear for all to see.

There seems to be real tensions between the different racial sects in the British capital. Paris, too, had these problems a few years back. But the worrying part here is that these riots are seemingly growing and spreading to other cities now. And its becoming a lot more than protesting the shooting of a man on Thursday of last week, and more about joblessness and poverty in inner London.

This needs to stop now, before any more damage is done. It is right for PM Cameron to return home, I suspect he should have done that a few days ago.

I'm quite sure this isn't to do with race Michelle and whilst poverty and lack of employment might make this sort of thing more likely in an area, I doubt that's got a lot to do with it either - I mean Croydon isn't really comparable to inner city London. These are mindless idiots burning and stealing on a night they know the police will be stretched.

I'm turning the news off now, it's genuinely upsetting watching this. I'm safe enough where I live, I hope other people here are too. I'm sure I'll be be back online tomorrow.

London riots raise concerns about 2012 Olympics; IOC has confidence in British authorities

AP)

LONDON - Less than a year before London hosts the 2012 Games, scenes of rioting and looting a few miles from the main Olympic site have raised concerns about security and policing for the event.

Images of buildings and vehicles in flames broadcast around the world are also poor publicity for the capital as it prepares to stage the games for a third time.

The unrest, which started Saturday night in the Tottenham area of north London after a police shooting, spread closer to the Olympic complex Monday when scattered violence broke out in the Hackney area of east London.

..."You can imagine how stretched the police would be if this were to occur during the Olympics," said Tony Travers, a local government expert at the London School of Economics. "So I think this will create a worry within City Hall and the Home Office.

"It's not so much that this might happen again — unlikely — as that it reminds the people in charge that while the Olympic Games are going on, any other major event is going to be complicated."

Groups of youths, many wearing hoods and masks, attacked shops and windows in Hackney. Police in riot gear were pelted with pieces of wood and other objects.

The government said more than 200 people had been arrested and more than two dozen charged over three days of trouble. Police said at least 35 police officers were injured.

Hackney is one of the five boroughs encompassing the Olympic Park, a 1-square-mile site that will be the centerpiece of the games, which start on July 27, 2012. Monday's violence took place about 4 miles from the park.

The park includes the Olympic Stadium, which will host the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field competition, as well as the velodrome, aquatics center, basketball arena, handball arena and main press and broadcast center.

Other Olympic venues are located at various sites around the capital, including Hyde Park (triathlon), Horse Guards Parade (beach volleyball), Wembley Stadium (football) and Wimbledon (tennis). There has been no violence in those areas.

For civic leaders and Olympic organizers, the violence was an unwelcome reminder of London's volatility, less than two weeks after the city celebrated the one-year countdown to the games with great fanfare.

The International Olympic Committee said it had confidence in British authorities.

"Security at the Olympic Games is a top priority for the IOC," spokesman Mark Adams said. "It is, however, directly handled by the local authorities, as they know best what is appropriate and proportionate. We are confident they will do a good job in this domain."

CBS News

What strikes me is that London, back in 2005, talked of its multi diversity, being at the heart and soul of it's bid. And the irony of that is clear for all to see.

There seems to be real tensions between the different racial sects in the British capital.

I think these are actually quite multicultural riots - everyones getting involved now!

It's opportunism rather than any specific motive, although I do think the Tory induced national depression is a huge factor - David Cameron has ripped the hope out of the nation, and is far more concerned with avoiding offending an Italian waitress than facing the issues in his capital city.

I'm sorry Brekkie Boy, but I really do think that is absurd. Blaming Cameron for what is happening now is like blaming Barack Obama for the fact the Americans are still in Afghanistan. They are both dealing with the cards they were dealt by others and those who criticise the government and its policies have very short memories.

This post wasn't an attack on London, I was merely pointing out what happened.

Be realistic for a moment. Given your past record, it is inevitable that others will see your "pointing out" what is happening at the moment cynically.

On a positive note Trafalgar square was full of fantastic steel bands on Saturday,no problem there, and the Triathlon in hayed park went flawlessly and looked great.

These so called riots feel more like a terrorist attack, yes there is mindless ness and copy cat as well , that’s what terrorists rely on.

Two of tomorrow's Carling Cup first round ties - Charlton Athletic v Reading and West Ham United v Aldershot Town - have already been postponed on police advice. A statement from West Ham tonight says they have been advised that all major public events in London have to be rearranged because of the current situation. This is not about a peaceful protest anymore. This is not about social hardship either. It is pure and simple lawlessness and the scum must be stopped.

Rioting now being reported in Liverpool.

Yes, noticed that. Unbelievably opportunistic attacks now spreading across England clearly. French TV are reporting that 200 kids aged 13-18 setting fire to cars in Liverpool..

Where the hell are the parents?

Archived