2 miles from Olympic Park, London burns...

Michelle

article-2023254-0D542C9A00000578-737_964x608.jpg

article-2023254-0D547BCB00000578-190_964x647.jpg

article-2023254-0D55048800000578-342_964x597.jpg

article-2023254-0D54FE9400000578-525_964x559.jpg

article-2023254-0D5436CF00000578-691_964x630.jpg

article-2023254-0D54428B00000578-479_964x689.jpg

article-2023254-0D543F3B00000578-217_964x588.jpg

article-2023254-0D5423DE00000578-322_964x618.jpg

article-2023254-0D54E97E00000578-502_964x579.jpg

article-2023254-0D54D1BA00000578-443_964x597.jpg

Riot blaze: North London in flames as police cars, bus and shops burn over police shooting of 'gangster'

Twenty-six police officers hurt in clashes being treated in hospital

Scotland Yard still dealing with 'isolated pockets of crime' this morning

Mob of 500 people protest about death of father-of-four Mark Duggan who was shot by officers

100 riot police on the streets as Tottenham burns

Fears that violence was fanned by Twitter as picture of burning police car was re-tweeted more than 100 times

Shop looted and youths storm McDonald's and start cooking their own food

Mail on Sunday photographers beaten and mugged by masked thugs

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023254/Tottenham-riots-Double-decker-bus-set-ablaze-mob-violence-hits-London.html#ixzz1UKoEJzaG

- photos used from Dailymail.co.uk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the thread title and instantly thought, Daily Mail. :rolleyes:

I could have posted photos and commentary from The Times, The Guardian, The Sun, The Daily Telegraph, CNN US, CBS, ABC, The Australian, The Independent...

Would any of those have been better? Even the liberal press are bringing this to the attention of their viewers, Lee. I hope you are now informed :)

From CBS (Major USA network, in case anyone was unaware)

(AP)

LONDON -- The violent riot that tore through a deprived north London neighborhood has cast a pall over Britain's capital, spreading malaise through a city preparing to host the Olympic Games.

26 police officers were injured, with eight of them being briefly hospitalized, after a peaceful protest against the shooting death of a young man degenerated into a Saturday night rampage, with rioters torching a double-decker bus, destroying patrol cars and trashing a shopping mall.

I read the thread title and instantly thought, Michelle

Just reportin the news, just reportin the facts :)

nws07_1_news_Rotati_194237a.jpgthetimes.co.uk

Police-detain-suspected-l-007.jpgguardian.co.uk

tottenhamriot_1355907a.jpgthesun.co.uk

riots4way_1965974d.jpgtelegraph.co.uk

pallot.uk.police.riots.cnn.640x360.jpgus.cnn.com

london_620x350.jpgcbsnews.com

07london1-blog480.jpgnewyorktimes.com

281047-london-riots.jpgtheaustralian.com.au

tottenham_633403s.jpgIndependent.co.uk

1557135_3_ee55_tottenham-dimanche-matin.jpglemonde.fr

For Lee and others, who don't read the Daily Mail.

As you can note, the World's Press are covering this disgraceful riot by gangsters and thugs, not just the Daily Mail.

Like I said, just reportin' the news, just reportin' the facts.

Well we can certainly rely on you to report the facts when there's a riot involved.

Also in London this weekend Hyde Park hosted Triathalon Test Events. Both were extremely well run and went without a hitch. Alistair Brownlee booked his place in the Great Britain Olympic team with victory on the London 2012 triathlon course. In the dress rehearsal for the Olympic race to be held in Hyde Park next summer, Brownlee crossed the line in one hour, 50 minutes and 9 seconds to claim his third win from five World Championship Series races.

Yesterday Helen Jenkins had the ideal warm-up for the London 2012 Games as she struck gold on the proposed Olympic triathlon course, becoming the first British woman to win the Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series race in the capital.

On Monday Badminton's big names head to Wembley Arena for the first time since 1993 with the week-long world championships serving as a high class dress rehearsal for next year's London 2012 Olympic tournament.

In Stamford, 100 miles from the Olympic Park I wandered into town and bought a paper (sorry I dont have any pictures of that)

In Stamford, 100 miles from the Olympic Park I wandered into town and bought a paper (sorry I dont have any pictures of that)

While I'm interested in your activities, others may consider them utterly boring.

And Of course I would report this; a major news story in an Olympic Host City, currently without a chief constable in full time position.

These are worrying times for London and the London Olympics.

It has been a very boring day, its been lovely thanks : )

If anyone has been put off visiting the Olympic city of London next summer for the London 2012 Olympic Games and has tickets to the London 2012 Olympics, feel free to message me I will gladly take them off your hands.

I never get tired of saying London 2012, I really dont.

Funny how next year flames travelling through the streets of London will generate very different headlines.

Pure morons though - having questions over a police shooting doesn't warrant nicking a PC from Comet and burning down Aldi! Always feel sorry for the police in these situations too - damned if they lose control, damned if they do what is necessary to keep control. It's the rioters, not the police, who caused last nights events.

Just got back from a weekend away and horrible to see this; and I can't really fathom why it happened. Seems to me to be the same sort of people who stole away the headlines from thousands of peaceful protesters in the anti-cuts demos and some of the young men in Belfast who do similar things without really knowing why they're doing them. From what I can gather this started out as a peaceful vigil and got hijacked by twats. Very sad. <_<

I read the thread title and instantly thought, Daily Mail.

Erm, this is national news.

That said it's more like 6 miles between Tottenham and the Olympic Park I reckon.

I read the thread title and instantly thought, Michelle

I wish we'd see Michelle post more in the Olympic threads as she used to; it does seem her increasingly rare appearances on this forum are to post bad news stories rather than discuss the Games themslves. But I still don't reckon there was much need for that Davey, sorry. I know some people don't like non-Olympic things being posted in the the Olympic forums and think they should go in off-topic, but I've no problem with it.

You're of course right to point out that all-sorts of other things have been going on in London this weekend including a big cup-final, Olympic test events etc. It's a big city and shocking as these scenes are London's not burning.

Pure morons though - having questions over a police shooting doesn't warrant nicking a PC from Comet and burning down Aldi! Always feel sorry for the police in these situations too - damned if they lose control, damned if they do what is necessary to keep control. It's the rioters, not the police, who caused last nights events.

Spot on. Completely unnecessary and needlessly destructive.

Paris should have hosted the 2012 Games, after all they've never had riots.

Ummm...... Michelle was an adamant London supporter (and we clashed many times over it).

And why does everything have to come back to Paris? Are you that insecure about your win that you have to question all things as if somehow they are insinuating Paris would have made a better host?

And yes this is Olympic related because this clearly shows that London is not ready for this kind of police work only a year out from the games. Even the most generous estimate puts the crowd at much less then a 1000 but the police lost complete control and had no answers for the violence and many of them got injuried. MI5, Scotland Yard and your other police/security services need to take a long, hard look at this incident and learn from it. A small crowd couldn't be dealt with, when it was a normal Saturday in London and not an Olympic Saturday with up to 2 million extra people in the capital? Questions need to be asked or something similar or worse could happen during the Olympics.

Funny how next year flames travelling through the streets of London will generate very different headlines.

Pure morons though - having questions over a police shooting doesn't warrant nicking a PC from Comet and burning down Aldi! Always

I feel sorry for the police in these situations too - damned if they lose control, damned if they do what is necessary to keep control. It's the rioters, not the police, who caused last nights events.

It's just like a recent incident here in SF...in the projects of course. This guy was being asked for his fare ticket on the street car. He couldn't show any; he darted off the street car with transit police in pursuit. Then he pulls out a gun; fires one at the cops; then of course all hell broke loose. Then he gets shot. The (mainly black) residents of Hunters Point are all up in arms at the community meeting with police. They outshout the SF Police Chief who's there to calm things down. Anyway, 2 days after the stormy meeting where those idiots were accusing the SF police of everything; the autopsy and ballistic reports come out that the thug (who was a parolee) had actually turned the gun on himself!! It never changes; certain sectors of the population are ALWAYS just trouble! Luckily, they're shooting themselves most of the time.

Another low for Michelle. Despicable as always.

Please don't even attempt to convince anybody here that you had a single good intention by posting this.

Ummm...... Michelle was an adamant London supporter (and we clashed many times over it).

And why does everything have to come back to Paris? Are you that insecure about your win that you have to question all things as if somehow they are insinuating Paris would have made a better host?

And yes this is Olympic related because this clearly shows that London is not ready for this kind of police work only a year out from the games. Even the most generous estimate puts the crowd at much less then a 1000 but the police lost complete control and had no answers for the violence and many of them got injuried. MI5, Scotland Yard and your other police/security services need to take a long, hard look at this incident and learn from it. A small crowd couldn't be dealt with, when it was a normal Saturday in London and not an Olympic Saturday with up to 2 million extra people in the capital? Questions need to be asked or something similar or worse could happen during the Olympics.

I agree with the concern about the lack of resources and preparedness just 1 year before the Games.

I don't agree with the part about Michelle, this is simply another transparent tabloid like post, to take advantage of something like this, which he/she loves.

Well we can certainly rely on you to report the facts when there's a riot involved.

Also in London this weekend Hyde Park hosted Triathalon Test Events. Both were extremely well run and went without a hitch. Alistair Brownlee booked his place in the Great Britain Olympic team with victory on the London 2012 triathlon course. In the dress rehearsal for the Olympic race to be held in Hyde Park next summer, Brownlee crossed the line in one hour, 50 minutes and 9 seconds to claim his third win from five World Championship Series races.

Yesterday Helen Jenkins had the ideal warm-up for the London 2012 Games as she struck gold on the proposed Olympic triathlon course, becoming the first British woman to win the Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series race in the capital.

On Monday Badminton's big names head to Wembley Arena for the first time since 1993 with the week-long world championships serving as a high class dress rehearsal for next year's London 2012 Olympic tournament.

Spot on.

I have to take issue with that analysis which, from everything I have seen and read over the last 24 hours, appears to be a hideous over-reaction.

What you appear to have forgotten in all this is that this is an entirely local issue which has been seized upon by morons to cause trouble. Remember also that the events of last night began as a peaceful protest. It is quite clear to me that that protest was hijacked by scum elements and that the police could not have escaped criticism however they handled it. You can have questions about how the police responded to escalating disorder quite reasonably, but I think the conclusions you draw from it are way over the top.

Like I said, just reportin' the news, just reportin' the facts.

You may well claim that, Michelle, but those of us who have been members of this forum for any length of time are well aware that you have become a particularly harsh critic of London to the point where it appears the city can do absolutely nothing right in your eyes. Davey Podmore is quite right to remind us that, as disturbing as this incident is, we must not lose sight of the bigger picture. I'm afraid you appear to have lost sight of that a very long time ago.

As soon as I saw the first news of this yesterday I knew it'd end up here.

Mix a lot of alchohol, a touch of testosterone, a feeling of grievance in some quarters and a bunch of hoons hoping to make trouble and hey presto, you get riots. London's no stranger to them - and neither is the likes of Sydney, Vancouver and Paris. Sh!t happens.

I have to take issue with that analysis which, from everything I have seen and read over the last 24 hours, appears to be a hideous over-reaction.

What you appear to have forgotten in all this is that this is an entirely local issue which has been seized upon by morons to cause trouble.

Is it unreasonable to think that the same 'trouble' elements could hijack any type of protest during the Olympics to cause such similar escalations?

Remember also that the events of last night began as a peaceful protest. It is quite clear to me that that protest was hijacked by scum elements and that the police could not have escaped criticism however they handled it. You can have questions about how the police responded to escalating disorder quite reasonably, but I think the conclusions you draw from it are way over the top.

Most protests start out peaceful, but various elements take advantage of the mob causing escalation to violence and distruction. It has been seen in Paris, Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Chicago, Marseille and so many other cities.

And my conclusions are simple: The police were unprepared to handle a small crowd that got violent, the police were unprepared to indentify and isolate 'trouble' protesters, the police were understaffed and overrun by a small crowd and that all three things need to be addressed in order to properly prepare for the security situation that will be the Olympics. The security undertaking that will be in place in London next year is unprecedented in your countries history. To fail to take any lessons from a situation like this is complete lunacy and utter denial on your part. The Olympics themselves can magnify and intensify any situation. One small protest over a grievance with the games from any group could be hijacked with similar results. To not think so is complete denial of the situation.

You may well claim that, Michelle, but those of us who have been members of this forum for any length of time are well aware that you have become a particularly harsh critic of London to the point where it appears the city can do absolutely nothing right in your eyes. Davey Podmore is quite right to remind us that, as disturbing as this incident is, we must not lose sight of the bigger picture. I'm afraid you appear to have lost sight of that a very long time ago.

Gosh, so many points here, I don't know where to start.

-First of all, did member 'rafa' post under the name 'mo' in days gone by? If so, I ain't even gonna go there...

Secondly, how could this post not be posted here? In all seriousness, when you have U.S. broadcasters mentioning in their newscasts... 'Olympic city....London.....riots/burning/looting', it more than becomes relevant to this forum, and not the off/topic area.

This post wasn't an attack on London, I was merely pointing out what happened. As we all know, London is hosting the Olympics next year - and so, when spoken of in the media, and especially the foreign media, it is not uncommon for them to say "London, next years host of the 2012 Olympics, is burning tonight".... they become inextricably linked.

Further, I never supported Paris for 2012, I was happy London won, and still support the British city in the run-up. But that should not mean, that negative/unwelcome news events can be swept so easily under the carpet.... and unfortunately, many of the British members on GB do so... then get upset with others for merely reporting the news and facts.

London needs to get a new police constable, and pretty fast.... a leaderless Met., doesn't look good. Especially, when events like Saturday kick-off.

Finally, if members don't like my posts... just ignore 'em. Geez.

Rob, I wasn't commenting against the relevance toward London 2012. It was more to do with the sensationalist Daily Mail headline that would make any foreign reader think that the whole of London was burning whilst the construction of the Olympic Park was forced to plod on.

Cast aside the ulterior motives of the poster and the ridiuclous headline I actually think it's a wake-up call for the Met Police who obviosuly need to come down much harder on this sort of violence. Thankfully, it is very rare.

You only have to look at the amount of times Michelle posts a thread in this section, her previous anti-London comments, and her obvious effort into posting as many riot pictures as possible, to realise she has an ulterior motive. I ignore her posts these days. She is no longer constructive.

It was more to do with the sensationalist Daily Mail headline that would make any foreign reader think that the whole of London was burning whilst the construction of the Olympic Park was forced to plod on.

So you think when the foreign press were reporting this incident they said 'Tottenham in flames tonight'? If you do, then you're more naive than I thought. Mostly all the U.S. & European press are saying 'London', only mentioning Tottenham further into their commentary. So if anyone is being sensationalist, it's the foreign media.

This is how NBC News in the States is reporting the news, this is their front page this morning. And the headline ' rioters rampage through London ' - this is from MSNBC/NBC, a liberal network/news agency. What are the American people going to think when they see this? The implications for tourism, other activities are big.

2ebsfpz.jpg

Cast aside the ulterior motives of the poster and the ridiuclous headline

Ridiculous headline? More like factual headline. I think Rob suggests the Olympic park is slightly more than 2 miles away, but lets not kid ourselves here... this was very close to Stratford.

No ulterior motive, other than to report the news. Lee, i'm ashamed to think I once considered you a 'friend' on here, you have turned into a rather nasty person. My character judgement was seriously warped in this case.

The Daily Mail does have headlines that are often too strong (I'm not playing down the severity of the event or outside perceptions but the Olympics is only very tangentially related so it does seem odd to mention it in the headline). And for a lot of news I wouldn't trust the Daily Mail, it's a nasty paper with, from what I've read, a nasty, cynical culture within its newsroom.

The trouble is, it has a superb website and nearly always has the best photos. I'm not surprised you used it to illustrate this story, I often use its photos when I'm posting stories here too because they are of such high quality compared to other news sites.

I'm not going to get involved in your argument with Lee; I think you've both been great contributors to this site and think of you both as "friends" here. I do wish we'd see more of you in the Olympic related threads though Michelle. Looking at your posting history, the last time you were on the London forums for any length was to dicuss the cuts protests and the damage created then. I'm not surprised some people are beginning to think you have an ulterior motive. I know you're a supporter of London 2012, so I hope I'm right when I say you don't...but as you say, perceptions are funny things... :)

Thing is, people see what they want to see - and it's as simple as that. No matter what I was to say, it would be perceived in a negative way. Yes, I have highlighted unwelcome news regarding London, but I was also quick to post good news stories, too... in days gone by - that is easily forgotten here.

When you have people like Lee, Mo and others who are too sensitive to their own interests, it makes for a really ugly debate - as emotions rule the waves, and one is afraid of saying anything. But not I, I'll say it if its true.

And these images are being broadcast around the world, and in no way does this enhance an Olympic city in waiting. Actually, the headlines become amplified by the fact the Olympics road show rolls into the city next year. By reporting this news on gamesbids.com, it does not make me anti London. Merely, I'm concerned at what it is doing to brand London, and how it will be perceived.

Like you said, perceptions are funny things.

Archived