Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenadian

Lighting the PyeongChang 2018 Cauldron

...that the job will go to Kim Yu-Na?

I can't think of any Games where the speculation of who will be the final torch bearer is so obvious so far out from the Games.

Your thoughts?

Yeah I can't see anyone else in the role. Even if Korea were to see its first skier gold medalist in 2014, I don't think that would change things much.

...that the job will go to Kim Yu-Na?

I can't think of any Games where the speculation of who will be the final torch bearer is so obvious so far out from the Games.

Your thoughts?

PyongYang will announce Unification the day before...so Kim Jong Il steals the honor and thunder from Yu-Na!!

(ANd then will break away again the day the Games end!!)

The Seoul committee should have really let Sohn Kee-chung do the honours in 1988. I guess he carried the flame into the stadium and it was an exciting and touching moment, but would have been better if he didn't have to pass the flame off to lesser known figures.

How about Ahn Hyun-Soo?

He has a bad relationship with the Korean Olympic Committee regarding the Korean short track team, and I think he's even training for the Russian team now. Also, Korean short track champions are a dime a dozen, and it isn't the glamour sport of the Winter Olympics the way figure skating is. Then again, 2018 IS in Korea, and I expect short track to be centre stage in Pyeongchang, so who knows, they could possibly have one of their favourite short trackers be included as part of the runup to the lighting.

The Seoul committee should have really let Sohn Kee-chung do the honours in 1988. I guess he carried the flame into the stadium and it was an exciting and touching moment, but would have been better if he didn't have to pass the flame off to lesser known figures.

Looked like they were going for a "passing of the torch" moment, from the 74 year old man forced to run under a different flag to the young guy and girl representing Korea's (presumably brighter) future. The way the lighting was done in '88, Sohn would've just been standing there as the elevator went up. I think him running into the stadium made for a more dramatic effect.

I hope they bring back the doves!

;)

Yes, only Korea itself can make up for the mistake made in 1988. ;)

It would be a mistake of Kim lighted the flame. South Korea's medals at the winter Olympics are 94% in speed skating so a legend from that sport should light the cauldron.

Is he really training for Russia? Russia know they can't beat Canada without getting foreign talent :lol: they tried to get a Canadian curling team (that failed), "acquired" own the podium's leader and now this.

That's what makes her so unique. She's definitely the most revered of them all though.

I'm not sure if Ahn's training *for* or *with* the Russians. Can't remember.

The positive point is that we don't have to worry this time too much about what the cauldron will look like.

The ski jumping tower of Alpensia looks so blatantly like an olympic torch that it is obvious that the cauldron is at the top of it.

Do they do that in the Winter? I figure the birds would eventually die of the cold.

So '88 they die of fire, 2018 they freeze to death.

Poetically fitting then - a true "Song of Fire and Ice"

Good qeustion about the doves though - did they feature at past Winter ceremonies? Do you know Baron?

Poetically fitting then - a true "Song of Fire and Ice"

Good qeustion about the doves though - did they feature at past Winter ceremonies? Do you know Baron?

They did. Barcelona and Albertville were the last Olympic ceremonial appearance of live doves. Starting with Lillehammer, facsimiles and other symbolic representations representations took over.