Albania

Latvia

San marino

Slovakia

Bulgaria

FYR macedonia

Montenegro

Georgia

The Eurovision Song Contest 2008 winner Dima Bilan will be the interval act in Baku’s second semifinal on May 24. It was already reported that Emin will perform as interval act in the grand final. Dima will also perform at a special event on May 23 at the Euroclub with Nikki.

This is ridiculous, they should be showcasing Azerbaijani music and dance during the interval acts, not having Russians, this annoys me so much

Still find it hilarious how the Russian grannies beat Dima this year at their selection.... but yeah I agree, would rather them showcase folk dancing or something related to Azerbaijani in the intervals...

From what I can see on google, that Emin guy is not half bad... he sounds alright too....

This event is taking place in London next month

http://www.frontlineclub.com/events/2012/05/third-party-screening.html

It's one of the most corrupt countries in the world and widely criticised for its human rights record but this year Azerbaijan is hosting Eurovision - one of the most glitzy TV music competitions in the world.

But what do we really know about Azerbaijan? What impact will this glitter invasion have on a country unused to being on the international stage? This oil-rich former Soviet republic bordering Iran, Turkey and Russia is undergoing rapid modernisation, forging strong new ties with Europe while retaining its roots in the East.

As Eurovision prepares to come to town, we find out what makes this country tick - exploring Azerbaijan's rich cultural heritage through the eyes of our Azeri speaking presenter. From music to food, from the winding streets of the old city to the soaring skyscrapers of the modern town.

It’s a country of contrasts and contradictions.

With Eurovision pointing the international spotlight on Azerbaijan young Azeris are hoping for more freedom of expression and genuine moves to democracy. But how realistic is this?

We talk to the bloggers and flashmobbers at the forefront of calls for change - and we put their concerns to an MP.

We find out why the war with Armenia 20 years ago still casts a long shadow - to the point where Armenia has pulled out of the contest.

We look at the challenges of hosting an event like this and ask Eurovision officials whether it should be held here at all.

markun, unfortunately Azerbaijan has some enemies and those powers are trying their best in order to spoil the image and reputation of the country.

p.s. Those who really care about human rights etc. didn't have to wait until we win ESC in order to rise their voice ;)

Baku Crystal Hall

VUG_6363.jpg

VUG_6263.jpg

VUG_6316.jpg

Baku Crystal Hall:

Press-center:

Euroclub:

markun, unfortunately Azerbaijan has some enemies and those powers are trying their best in order to spoil the image and reputation of the country.

p.s. Those who really care about human rights etc. didn't have to wait until we win ESC in order to rise their voice ;)

In fact many of those those "power enemies" had yet risen their voice, but nobody listened to them until they won ESC and at least some knew Azerbaijan. Almost the same goes with China. Just as right now, there wasn't too much coverage of human rights violations, but you know what happened when the flame travelled around the world.

Isn't that the singer of the Azerbaijani winning entry in 2011? I read already back then an amusing German article about that performance that his female counterpart (Nikki) tried her best to woo her companion on stage, although he is obviously gay.

Isn't that the singer of the Azerbaijani winning entry in 2011? I read already back then an amusing German article about that performance that his female counterpart (Nikki) tried her best to woo her companion on stage, although he is obviously gay.

So true, he's quite camp.

I am not a fan of past winners/performers becoming the hosts. Renars and Marie N seem to be the exception. I just hope that the presenters don't shout at us like in Kiev or have very bad English

I am not a fan of past winners/performers becoming the hosts.

Not even these two? Eurovision 1991 would have been quite different with someone else presenting!

I quite liked their, and especially his, somewhat chaotic style. It's particularly amusing when he gets distracted checking out the woman with the flowers from San Remo.

*lol* That ESC was quite an event. Rather amateurish hosts hardly caring about foreign viewers, speaking Italian only throughout large parts of the evening, a fairly arrogant and testosterone-laden male host, a cheapish amusement park set and accordingly professional musicians. Listen to minute 2:58 of the Greek performance:

But frankly, those three hosts for Baku appear to me as if they are that kind of screaming "GOOOOOD EVENNNIIIINNG EUROOOOOOOPE!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME??????? IT'S BECAUSE I THINK YOU ARE DEAF!!!!" ESC hosts that have gotten on my nerves in many of the years between Copenhagen 2001 and Oslo 2010.

I agree, I really can't stand the shouty style of presentation we've seen in the last decade.

But I do have a soft spot for 1991. It was the first contest I recorded and there was something glamorous and exotic about the Italian chaos of it all. The contest was originally due to be held in San Remo but due to security concerns around the time of the Gulf War it was moved to the contained venue of the Cinecittà studios in Rome.

1991 was an interesting year - the "fight" between the songs of France and Sweden was amazing - the songs belong still to my all-time favourites:

France - Amina - "Le dernier qui a parlé" ("The one who spoke last") - second place - she has a fantastic voice which gives me goosebumps...

Sweden - Carola - "Fångad av en Stormvind" ("Captured by a Storm") - first place - fantastic pop song - the dancers are looking great - and the wind in her hair is breathtaking - the only pitty is that she is just a "bitch"...

Another two songs of my "all-time" favourites:

Latvia 2003 - F.L.Y. - "Hello From Mars" - this song didn't do well in Riga, but I just love this pop song - R.I.P. Martins (the guy on the left died in 2011)

Ukraine 2008 - Ani Lorak - "Shady Lady" - she became second with this fantastic pop song - the winner song isn't as good as this one - the performance is full of energy

Ukraine 2007 - Verka Seduchka - "Dancing Lasha Tumbai" - 2nd place - well, what shall I say about this performance - its my favourite camp song - it was played at pride events all over Europe in that year

Sweden 2011 - Eric Saade - "Popular" - 3rd place - I love that song - I wasn't 20 meters away from him during this performance and dancing, singing, waving my flags...

Just got back from seeing 24 of this years songs being performed at Eurovision in Concert in Amsterdam. Have to say that Pastora Soler was the class act. Her voice was incredible and she blew everyone else off stage. I still have a soft spot for Joan Franka and managed to have a chat with her and get my photo taken with her, she was incredibly genuine and sweet. I still think the winner will be Sweden but I now think Spain have a very good chance also.

I saw Pastora's performance and it is so amazing.

Also, the lyrics are so simple but really powerful -at least for someone that speaks the same language :P

It's one of my favourites this year with Estonia, Hungary and Iceland. I hope they do really well (Top 5) and let's see if the Spaniards stop complaining about the ESC and take a more serious approach in the future.

Archived