Pan Pacs...

:mellow: Just curious, do the Pan Pacific Games still happen? Considering the four other Olympic regions have second tier 'Games', Oceania doesn't.

Last time I noticed them, the Pan Pacs were way down in the third tier events era. In the late 70's and up to mid 80's, they were popular. At the time there was a strong feeling that they would replace the Commonwealth Games in stature for those 'member' nations in the Pan Pac ring.

I think the Pan Pacs were a substitute in the Olympic boycott era?

I think they should be re-activated.

I don't actually remember there ever being a Pan-Pacific Games (and can't find any references to such a games on Google, Wikipedia). I guess that shows that even if there were, they really didn't even having anywhere near the profile of a Commies in Oz. Unless you're talking about the Pan-Pac Masters Games, which are still going (and indeed will be in the Gold Coast next year). But then again, even the main Masters Games hardly set the world alight - basically for the wrinklies and they were hardly a blip on the popular radar when they were on in Sydney, was it last year or the year before?

The boycott era subsitute for the Olympics was the old Goodwill Games. And they went nowhere after Brisbane became the first outside the US or Russia to host them.

There's the Pan-Pac Swimming Championships of course, and they ARE going strong. So much so that it is a toss up between the Pan-Pacs and the European championships when you're considering which is the third biggest and most prestigious swim meet after the Olympics and the World Championships.

Anyways Oceania has its own event, the Pacific Games which start later this month in New Caledonia.

I think it's about time Oz did what we did with soccer, and join in the Asian Games.

@Sir Rols Do you know anything about the 2014 Pan Pacs?

I've got no idea where they're going in 2014. Maybe it hasn't been decided yet.

Though I did just notice while searching that Canada are holding the Para-Pan-Pac swimming later this month.

:unsure: I remember we hosted something in 1980 or 81 that was quite grand for the time. Remember the Table Tennis being popular and these games were the reason Mount Smart Stadium was built (not the 1990CWGs). NZ still had good Track and Field credibility then.

:unsure: I remember we hosted something in 1980 or 81 that was quite grand for the time. Remember the Table Tennis being popular and these games were the reason Mount Smart Stadium was built (not the 1990CWGs). NZ still had good Track and Field credibility then.

Just looked up the history of Mt Smart - there was some reference to a Pan-Am athletics series in the early 80s, but that wouldn't tally with your table tennis memories.

I did find some obscure reference to a Canberra 1977 Pan-Pac meet of some sort, but that's about as far as it goes. No other details or any mention if this was a true Pan-Pac games or not.

Maybe someone else knows more? It's a bit like trying to find info on the one-and-only Commonwealth Winter Games in the early 1960s in St Moritz - apart from the fact something happened, no details beyond that.

A Pan Pacific Games would be an interesting idea. The problem would be that they would be held in the same year as the Asiad. Plus would there be a need with the various Commonwealth, Pan American, All African, Asiad, the various smaller games within Asia etc.

I mean there has been lots of Pan Pac competitions in swimming, gymnastics etc but what would be the program?

The possible countries would be: Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, East Timor, El Salvador, Ecuador, Fiji, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, North Korea, South Korea, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Papue New Gunea, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Taiwan, Thailand, Tongo, Tuvalu, United States, Vanuatu, Vietnam, American Samoa, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Guam, Hong Kong, Macau, New Caledonia, Niue, Mariana Islands, Pitcairn Islands, Tokelau, Wallis and Futuna.

I would probably exclude Russia because they compete within Europe.

If I was picking the sports program

Athletics - 47

Badminton - 5

Basketball - 2

Cycling

Mountain - 2

Road - 4

Track - 14

Diving - 10

Fencing - 10

Gymnastics

Artistic - 14

Trampoline - 2

Judo - 14

Shooting - 12

Swimming - 40

Synchronized Swimming - 2

Table Tennis - 4

Taekwondo - 10

Triathlon - 2

Volleyball - 2 (beach only)

Water Polo - 2

Weightlifting - 16

Wrestling - 14 (freestyle only)

Rugby 7's - 2

So 230 events, 19 sports, 54 competing nations and probably between 3,000 and 5,000 athletes.

Plus there is enough capable cities (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Busan, Incheon, Seoul, Tokyo, Kobe, Bangkok, Brisbane, Sydney, Auckland, Santiago, LA, San Fransisco, Seattle, Vancouver)

:) Shoot! Who needs the CWGs if we could host these...

Getting back to what I remember in the early '80s, I do recall most of the nations above attending. Naturally on a smaller scale, mainly athletics and some team sports, including the Table Tennis.

A Pan Pacific Games would be an interesting idea. The problem would be that they would be held in the same year as the Asiad. Plus would there be a need with the various Commonwealth, Pan American, All African, Asiad, the various smaller games within Asia etc.

I mean there has been lots of Pan Pac competitions in swimming, gymnastics etc but what would be the program?

The possible countries would be: Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, East Timor, El Salvador, Ecuador, Fiji, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, North Korea, South Korea, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Papue New Gunea, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Taiwan, Thailand, Tongo, Tuvalu, United States, Vanuatu, Vietnam, American Samoa, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Guam, Hong Kong, Macau, New Caledonia, Niue, Mariana Islands, Pitcairn Islands, Tokelau, Wallis and Futuna.

I would probably exclude Russia because they compete within Europe.

If I was picking the sports program

Athletics - 47

Badminton - 5

Basketball - 2

Cycling

Mountain - 2

Road - 4

Track - 14

Diving - 10

Fencing - 10

Gymnastics

Artistic - 14

Trampoline - 2

Judo - 14

Shooting - 12

Swimming - 40

Synchronized Swimming - 2

Table Tennis - 4

Taekwondo - 10

Triathlon - 2

Volleyball - 2 (beach only)

Water Polo - 2

Weightlifting - 16

Wrestling - 14 (freestyle only)

Rugby 7's - 2

So 230 events, 19 sports, 54 competing nations and probably between 3,000 and 5,000 athletes.

Plus there is enough capable cities (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Busan, Incheon, Seoul, Tokyo, Kobe, Bangkok, Brisbane, Sydney, Auckland, Santiago, LA, San Fransisco, Seattle, Vancouver)

Why excluding Russia when you are keeping USA and some other countries that are already competing in the PanAm Games ?

Archived