European Games

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how this would affect the Mediterranean Games but the Universiad is a global event. It's not about Europe get rid of it all by itself to replace it for their own games.

Plus: How's the Mediterraneans for the Africans and Asians? I remember Tripoli bidding for 2017--OH WAIT!

I don't know how this would affect the Mediterranean Games but the Universiad is a global event. It's not about Europe get rid of it all by itself to replace it for their own games.

Plus: How's the Mediterraneans for the Africans and Asians? I remember Tripoli bidding for 2017--OH WAIT!

As the Africans and Asians already have their own continental multi sports events it wouldn't have a massive impact on them. You could argue that the Mediterranean Games build bridges between cultures and therefore have some worth but the fact that Israel is excluded makes that a fairly flimsy argument. I'd happily be in favour of scrapping them if a European Games takes off.

• 4 months later...

Nothing happened, it has been postponed 2 months ago...

ATR Exclusive - EOC Delays European Games Vote

2/7/2012

xzmwltel.wxw.jpg

(ATR) Around the Rings has learned that the European Olympic Committees is postponing a vote to determine if its European Games plan gets off the ground or is shelved for good.

Following months of consultation with the continent's sports federations and a Deloitte feasibility study, the issue of whether to create a continental multisport event along the lines of the Asian or Pan American Games was to be put to a vote of the 49 NOCs gathered at the EOC's Extraordinary General Assembly in Moscow on April 12.

But that timetable has now been abandoned to allow for further consultation on the European Games proposal – and no date has been set for a decision.

In a letter sent to the European NOCs and seen by ATR, EOC secretary general Raffaelle Pagnozzi says the Feb. 17 deadline for feedback regarding Deloitte's feasibility study has been postponed.

"Due to the Christmas and New Year holidays many NOCs have not had time to study it in detail, therefore the Executive Committee have decided to extend the deadline right up to our meeting in Moscow in order to give more time for you to evaluate the document," says the letter dated Feb. 1.

Pagnozzi goes on to inform the NOC chiefs that they can make written submissions up to April 12 as well as oral submissions at the Moscow EGM, which convenes on the sidelines of the Association of National Olympic Committees general assembly in Moscow.

piqymv53.ilx.jpgPatrick Hickey says a continental games would provide a significant income stream for European NOCs and federations. (ATR)

The EOC's Feasibility Study Commission will make a presentation at the meeting before the floor is opened for questions, the letter said.

"No decision will be made at the Moscow meeting and we will collate all the comments, information and advice and it will be passed on to the Feasibility Study Commission who will then further study this information and will report back at a date in the future," Pagnozzi added.

Despite the delay, EOC president Pat Hickey tells ATR that progress is being made, although he offers no timetable on a decision on the European Games plan.

"We are in no rush to make a decision and we want full consultation with all parties," he said.

It's the second time the EOC has abandoned a vote on the European Games after dropping plans for a ballot at its last AGM in Sochi in November because the feasibility study was not finalized.

Hickey has previously indicated to ATR that plans are gaining momentum following positive feedback from 28 European sports federations.

But ATR understands the European Athletics Association, a seemingly important stakeholder in a European Games, has yet to get behind the project.

pd54wiex.5t4.jpgEuropean Athletics president Hansjörg Wirz. (Getty Images)

Hansjörg Wirz, president of the federation, met with EOC leaders in Paris last month in order to get a clearer picture of the scale and logistics of a European Games.

Among the EAA's concerns are what value a European Games would add to an already crowded sporting calendar, the impact on its own events and the implications for athlete preparations for the event in the year they are held.

"There are a lot of questions coming up. When we lose value on our side, then it's not a solution for us. I am open to look at the facts, the possibilities," he said.

The EOC has said it hopes to launch the first Games in 2015; Wirz said all its events are contracted through that year, meaning the timing of events could not be switched.

A European Games could be lucrative for federations. But other issues pose significant challenges for EOC officials and federations such as how the Games would be funded as well as how marketing and sponsorship revenues would be divided.

Reported by Mark Bisson

Would rather it fell in 2018 than 2019 - half way through the Olympic cycle as the Commonwealth Games are, with the odd years then free for World Championships in individual sports.

2014/18 to mark 100 years since WWI (the beginning or end) then a Winter version from 2024 to mark 100 years of the Winter Olympics would have been my thinking.

Would rather it fell in 2018 than 2019 - half way through the Olympic cycle as the Commonwealth Games are, with the odd years then free for World Championships in individual sports.

2014/18 to mark 100 years since WWI (the beginning or end) then a Winter version from 2024 to mark 100 years of the Winter Olympics would have been my thinking.

2018 you have the CWG in the April and the winter Olympics in February and the World Cup in July. So where would you put the event? August? I think they want it the year before the OG so olympic qualifcation can be used at them.

The World Cup is usually over by the second week of July, so any time from late July and throughout August would be suitable. The only issue with the Commonwealth Games would be when they're in the UK as anywhere else in the World and they seem to fall really early or really late. Good point about Olympic qualification though - but I think it's better the games stand on their own rather than act as a build up for the next Olympics, and having them separate means they can have two two-year cycles for qualfiication to events rather than effectively one 3-4 year cycle.

Hopefully the EAA don't screw this up - obviously understandable as the biggest stand alone event (other than football) they're taking the biggest risk, but still an easy decision IMO, and far more sensible than their plan to have the European Athletics Champs every two years. Nobody will care at all about this years event, which in turn will lower the profile of the 2014 championships.

The World Cup is usually over by the second week of July, so any time from late July and throughout August would be suitable. The only issue with the Commonwealth Games would be when they're in the UK as anywhere else in the World and they seem to fall really early or really late. Good point about Olympic qualification though - but I think it's better the games stand on their own rather than act as a build up for the next Olympics, and having them separate means they can have two two-year cycles for qualfiication to events rather than effectively one 3-4 year cycle.

Hopefully the EAA don't screw this up - obviously understandable as the biggest stand alone event (other than football) they're taking the biggest risk, but still an easy decision IMO, and far more sensible than their plan to have the European Athletics Champs every two years. Nobody will care at all about this years event, which in turn will lower the profile of the 2014 championships.

A 2015 European Games are likely to be in August, as in July that would be direct conflict with the Pan American Games. I don't think I have ever seen two multi-sporting events going on at the same time.

A 2015 European Games are likely to be in August, as in July that would be direct conflict with the Pan American Games. I don't think I have ever seen two multi-sporting events going on at the same time.

Pretty sure it will not start so soon as there is no agreement to date !

If they decide to go and to do it a year before the SOG, the first edition actually could be in 2019 !

Pretty sure it will not start so soon as there is no agreement to date !

If they decide to go and to do it a year before the SOG, the first edition actually could be in 2019 !

Everything I have read says London will be the likely host in 2015.

Any specific news (confirmed) on this subject?

From the last meetings of the EOC in Moscow 3 weeks ago

The members also got an update on the European Games project that has now been under study for a year, and were able to express their views on the idea. The delegates, who are overall in favour of the project, felt a final study was needed before they could commit themselves. So the feasibility study will continue and report to the General Assembly in Eilat (Israel) in December.

Ex

London sounds logic, everything's ready!! then again the Olympic Stadium will need to conserve it's track ;)

Except that London authorities will have no interest in going in an event lower than the Olympics... and spending a lot of money in operations & communication !!!

London was suggested, because they have all the venues ready.

Yes that is a main issue to get the venues ready, but why a city/country will have to a lower event ??? It works well at the opposite way. You first go to a continental event before hosting a worldwide one !

So may be, Istanbul (or yes Madrid if once again unsuccessful in their olympic quest) could be interested if awarded the Euro 2020 !

Archived