Lord Seb - future IOC member/pres?

I think that IAAF president is already a very important job to strive for - and somehow I don't expect him to go for the IOC presidency as well. Of course, he would be counted among the contenders if he becomes IAAF president but after the likely election of Thomas Bach as next IOC president, I expect the IOC to finally go for a non-European for the first time after Avery Brundage. And especially they'd go for a younger person, bearing in mind that Coe is almost 56 and the next IOC president will most probably serve until at least 2021.

By the way, I also think that Coe exudes a pretty strong aloofness, even if he gave an endearing speech at the Paralympic closing ceremony. Therefore I could imagine a better IOC president, especially when you compare him to characters like the rather cheerful and approachable Thomas Bach.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coe set to take over as British Olympic chairman

LONDON — Sebastian Coe is set to be hired as the new British Olympic Association (BOA) chairman after his only opponent for the position pulled out of the running on Tuesday.

Coe was already the firm favourite for the role after masterminding London's successful staging of the 2012 Olympics and his appointment was effectively confirmed when Richard Leman, the head of British hockey, stepped aside.

It means Coe, who was London 2012's bid chairman and then organising committee chairman, will be elected to succeed Colin Moynihan at the head of the BOA when the votes are cast on November 7.

Coe's stock is sky-high after the triumphant Olympics and Paralympics and the 56-year-old, a 1,500m gold medallist in the 1980 and 1984 Games, confirmed last month that he had been asked to stand for the position by a BOA sub-committee.

Leman, an Olympic gold medal-winner in men's hockey at the 1988 Olympics, is now expected to stand for the post of BOA vice-chairman next year.

"Recognising the unique circumstance in which we find ourselves in having the person who led the organisation and delivery of what is widely regarded as the most successful Olympic and Paralympic Games in history standing for election as our next chair, I have decided to put my full support behind Seb Coe and his candidacy," Leman said.

"The opportunities and challenges we face during the next four years are unprecedented, and from my position as a member of board of directors, I will continue to work closely with our next chair, my colleagues on the board, the national Olympic committee and our staff to meet those challenges.

"Having had the opportunity to compete for Team GB at the Olympic Games, I have always viewed my service to the BOA as an opportunity to give something back to British sport by making certain subsequent generations of athletes benefit from the same life-changing experiences I enjoyed."

AFP

• 3 weeks later...

Lord Coe fills British Olympic Association chair as door opens to IOC membership in 2013

Lord Coe's rapid ascent in the world of sports politics is set to continue with his likely nomination for membership of the International Olympic Committee in 2013.

Coe will on Wednesday be appointed chairman of the British Olympic Association following the resignation of Lord Moynihan. He is the sole candidate in the election after Richard Leman, head of British hockey, withdrew from the race last month.

However, being granted entry to the IOC would represent an even bigger honour for the former middle-distance runner, who helped deliver London’s triumphant Olympics.

Previous efforts to elevate Coe into the IOC have been stymied by the high number of British members already ensconced in the organisation. The Princess Royal, Sir Craig Reedie, Sir Philip Craven and Adam Pengilly are four of the 104 current IOC members and the body has been trying to widen its membership across more of its 204 national Olympic committees and 28 international federations, as well as promote more women.

But under reforms enacted in the wake of the 1999 Salt Lake City bribery scandal, the IOC executive board can nominate presidents and chairmen of national Olympic committees for consideration, with a handful of vacancies due to be voted in at the 2013 session next September in Buenos Aires.

Telegraph Sport has been told that any Coe nomination through this route would be favourably looked upon by members. It had been assumed that Coe would gain entry to the IOC through his possible appointment as the next president of the International Association of Athletics Federations, but this represents a less treacherous route.

More @ http://www.telegraph...medium=twitter#

Coe formally elected BOA chairman

LONDON (Reuters) - Sebastian Coe, chief organizer for the 2012 London Games, was formally elected as chairman of the British Olympic Association (BOA) on Wednesday.

The double Olympic 1,500 meters champion, who stood unopposed after British hockey chief Richard Leman stepped aside last month, will serve a four-year term.

"Following the tremendous impact of the London 2012 Games, the BOA has an important role to play in ensuring the growth of the Olympic movement throughout the UK and the continued success and support of Team GB at future Olympic Games," Coe said in a statement.

"I am committed to making sure the benefits of hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games are maximized and this role gives me an excellent platform to continue to serve and promote British Olympic sport both in the UK and globally."

http://www.chicagotr...0,1383010.story

A bit too many certainly (but c'mon, we're worth it and we'd vote for an American Games!) :D

But in this case the exception is probably worth it. I think the opportunity to have a former athlete, sports politician, the man who masterminded the London 2012 bid and then went on to lead the most recent Olympic organising committee is something the IOC won't pass up.

A bit too many certainly (but c'mon, we're worth it and we'd vote for an American Games!) :D

But in this case the exception is probably worth it. I think the opportunity to have a former athlete, sports politician, the man who masterminded the London 2012 bid and then went on to lead the most recent Olympic organising committee is something the IOC won't pass up.

I agree that rules should go out the window in the interest of having the most qualified and capable team, but it still makes me uneasy. I suppose that if you're going to have too many members from a country it should at least be a country that has just hosted and isn't likely to repeat for quite a while.

I'm not at all sure Coe would be pro-US, though. He predicted we'd finish 3rd in the medal tally and poo-hooed Michael Phelps. It felt as though both of those comments were made with a tinge of anti-American bias.

You're touchy when it comes to those comments aren't you? :lol: I don't really think a wrong prediction and an opinion on an athlete which is easy enough to justify on the basis of his sport show any anti-Americanism actually. Hearing Coe speak before, it's unsurprising that his heroes are from track and field. If there's any unfair bias in his opinion on Phelps it's because of this, not because of Phelps' nationality..

You're right, Coe mightn't vote US. But I think an extra British IOCer will more likely help rather than harm a US bid's chances. If only a little bit, and if only on the basis of probability.

I've mentioned it before, but there is something about Coe's character that really gets under my skin. He's done amazing work over the years, and the success of London 2012 can partly be attributed to him... but he comes across as a very cold - even sour - person? Just my perception, could very well be totally wrong, but seems to lack compassion.

IOC cautious on Sebastian Coe status

PARIS -- IOC president Jacques Rogge has expressed caution about the chances of Sebastian Coe becoming a member of the Olympic body next year.

Coe, the former two-time Olympic 1,500-meter champion who organized the London Games, has been mentioned as a possible candidate for membership of the International Olympic Committee.

Coe was elected last week as chairman of the British Olympic Association.

Rogge tells French sports daily l'Equipe "many people would like to see him in the IOC" and "he has all the qualities to be a good member."

But Rogge says "unfortunately only two or three members can be nominated each year, maximum four, and Coe is not the only candidate."

Britain already has four IOC members. The IOC has been looking to expand its membership and bring in more women.

http://espn.go.com/o...p-sebastian-coe

I'm not at all sure a meteoric rise should be championed either. Coe's quite hard to like - just ask the voters of Falmouth and Cambourne who voted him out as an MP after one term. He hasn't suggested anything about the IOC in public - it's all typical British press fizz, although I wouldn't be surprised if his pr people are whispering to journos whilst they ply them with free booze and pies. There's obviously enough eurochatter to wind up Rogge though.

And it seems he's sold his private consultancy business to a key olympic advertising contractor for 12 million pounds right after the games - raising eyebrows as it would contravene public sector guidelines. But hey ho, it's alright, because LOCOG was a private enterprise, just kept afloat with taxpayers' sweaty cash.

At least Gianna and Mitt Romney were already billionaires before they took the gig ... sigh

• 8 months later...

Diack confirmation he will step down as IAAF President leaves Coe in pole position

July 27 - Lamine Diack today confirmed that he will step down as President of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) in 2015 and that he will anoint a successor, which is expected to be Sebastian Coe, the former chairman of London 2012.

The Senegalese, who turned 80 last month, had announced after being re-elected at the IAAF Congress in Daegu two years ago for a fourth term that he would retire at the end of this current four-year mandate.

But he had said the same after winning the 2007 election in Osaka and there had been reports that he planned to stay on beyond 2015.

Diack, who has led athletics' world governing body since November 1999 following the sudden death of Primo Nebiolo, has now quashed their reports by confirming that he will move aside at the 2015 IAAF Congress, which is due to be held on the eve of that year's World Championships in Beijing.

"In Beijing I will give the flag over," he said here, where he is attending the Sainsbury's Anniversary Games, which are being held to mark a year since the start of London 2012.

"There is no chance I will carry on."

The fact he made his remarks with Coe, vice-president of the IAAF, sat next to him would appear to be highly significant especially as Diack promised when the time comes he would give clear guidance on who he wanted to succeed him in a bid to avoid what could be a potentially damaging election campaign.

"I will say who should be my successor and the reason why," said Diack.

Coe, the double Olympic 1500 metres champion who set 11 world records during his career, has emerged as the favourite to take over the IAAF following the huge success of London 2012.

His only realistic challenger is Ukraine's Sergey Bubka, who is also an IAAF vice-president and the greatest pole vaulter in history, having set a total of 35 world records, including the current outdoor mark of 6.14 metres, which he established in 1994.

Bubka was considered for a long time the natural successor to Diack but is now currently standing for election to replace Jacques Rogge as President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Whoever succeeds Diack will be only the sixth President in the history of the IAAF, which was founded in 1912.

If Coe is elected he will be only the second Briton to hold the position, following Lord David Burghely, President between between 1946 and 1976.

The similarities between Burghley, who was one of the central characters in the Oscar-winning folm Chariots of Fire, and Coe are striking.

Both are Olympic champions, Burghley having won the 400m hurdles at Amsterdam in 1928 and Coe the 1500m at Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles 1984.

Both are former Conservative politicians, Burghley having served Peterborough from 1931 to 1943, while Coe was the MP for Falmouth and Camborne from 1992 until 1997.

Both are former heads of Olympic Organising Committees, Burghley having been chairman when London hosted the Games in 1948.

And finally, both have served as chairman of the British Olympic Association, a role Burghley held for 30 years after being elected in 1936 while Coe took it on last November.

Burghley was replaced as IAAF President by Adriaan Paulen in 1976 but the Dutchman served only one term as President before he was replaced by controversial Italian Nebiolo, who persuaded him to step down.

If Coe does succeed Diack it would be almost certain that he would be made a member of the IOC.

Although it is not automatic that the IAAF President becomes a member it would seem inconceivable that Coe would not be invited to join sport's most exclusive club.

Insidethegames

• 3 months later...

Daniel Radcliffe to star as Olympic runner Seb Coe

LONDON (AP) — "Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe has signed on to play British Olympic runner Sebastian Coe in a movie about rivalries on the running track.

"Gold" will tell the story of the tense rivalry between Coe and fellow middle distance runner Steve Ovett in the run-up to the 1980 Moscow Olympics, where Ovett won the 800 meters and Coe took the 1500 meters. Coe, also a gold medalist in 1984, went on to become a politician and headed the London organizing committee at last year's summer Olympics.

The movie reunites the 24-year-old Radcliffe with James Watkins, the director of the 2012 film "The Woman in Black."

Filming is expected to begin in in April 2014.

Radcliffe's publicist confirmed Radcliffe's casting on Wednesday. The casting for Ovett has not yet been announced.

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/daniel-radcliffe-star-olympic-runner-seb-coe-165912125.html

• 1 year later...

Sebastian Coe officially announces he will stand to become IAAF President

Sebastian Coe today officially confirmed that he is to stand to become the next President of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).

The decision by the 58-year-old double Olympic gold medallist to put himself forward to replace Lamine Diack when the Senegalese retires after holding the position for 16 years had been widely expected but ends speculation that Coe may have run instead for the Mayor of London.

Coe, the IAAF vice-president, will start the campaign as overwhelming favourite following his successful spell as the chairman of London 2012, an event regarded as the most successful Olympics and Paralympics in history.

His only competitor is expected to be Ukraine's world pole vault record holder Sergey Bubka.

"For as long as I can remember, I have woken knowing that athletics, in some way, would shape my day," said Coe, winner of the Olympic 1500 metres at Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles.

"As a young boy, running was the thing that I loved beyond anything else and I have been hugely fortunate that athletics has been at the centre of my life ever since.

"As I speak to friends and colleagues around our great sport I appreciate that we are entering a very important time for athletics and that it is the right time to open up a discussion about the future.

"That discussion needs to focus on how we build on the many achievements of recent years, recognise that we have new challenges in a new era and how we can tackle those challenges with vision and ambition.

"I believe I have something to offer to that debate and it is why I am today officially announcing my candidacy for the Presidency of the IAAF."

Coe, who is also set eight outdoor and three indoor world records, including, in 1979, setting three world records in the space of 41 days, has hired Vero Communications to help run his campaign.

Vero, the company founded by Mike Lee, the former communications director of London 2012, were behind Brian Cookson's successful campaign last year to replace Pat McQuaid as President of the International Cycling Union.

Coe, a former Conservative MP, holds several other key roles in sport, including chairman of the British Olympic Association and as a member of the European Olympic Committees Executive Committee.

He is also a member of the International Olympic Committtee's Coordination Commission for Tokyo 2020.

Coe, executive chairman of CSM Sport and Entertainment, is also global advisor to Nike and also works with Chelsea Football Club, as well as being a columnist for The Daily Telegraph.

But he has promised that if he is elected to become the first British IAAF President since Lord Burghley, the 1928 Olympic 400m hurdles champion who held the position from 1946 to 1976, then he will devote himself to that role.

"Throughout all my sporting roles I have always put the interest of athletics first and been independent enough to do the right thing for our sport," said Coe.

"This will be my approach in the campaign and, in full partnership with the Member Federations, it will be the cornerstone of my Presidency if granted the great honour of being elected IAAF President.

"I will set out my detailed proposals for athletics and the IAAF when I publish my manifesto.

"It will highlight the importance of our sport embracing innovation and change as we move forward.

"I want us to have a renewed focus on engagement with young people and a real understanding of the global landscape that is shaping the next generation of athletes and fans.

"If we are guided by these principles as we review and reform our sport then I am convinced that athletics can enter a new era with confidence and ensure a bright and exciting future."

The IAAF is due to elect a successor to Diack on the eve of next year's World Championships during its Congress at the China National Convention Centre in Beijing on August 18 to 20, where all 213 National Federations will have a vote.

Insidethegames

Archived