Toronto 2020

memorabilia

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atleast 2 brand new subway lines would need to be constructed downtown as well. They've already been planned out, project name "Downtown Relief Lines" one for the East and one on the West side. I'll try and find the proposals.

They might just use the Scarborough Aquatic Centre for Water Polo and as a training facility during an Olympics. I can see them constructing a better venue on the Waterfront, which makes it a more compact bid. The Scarborough location isn't the best.

The stadium has a dive tank, and a swimming pool so maybe all water sports except swimming.

Maybe they would use ACC for swimming, sort of what Melbourne did in 2007 with the WAC.

The stadium has a dive tank, and a swimming pool so maybe all water sports except swimming.

Maybe they would use ACC for swimming, sort of what Melbourne did in 2007 with the WAC.

This is the Olympics. The ACC will never be used for swimming. That makes no sense to me. I'm sorry!

Not only could it go all the way to a billion, it will go all the way to around a billion. if Toronto wants any chance to win the bid, then they need a decent venue plan. A $550 million Olympic Stadium would kill their prospects period; so its not the lowest they could use if we're actually discussing a Toronto bid that wants to win.

Toronto 2020 is already weighed down by the proximity of the Vancouver Games, the fact that Canada has hosted 3 Olympics within the last 35 years (a lot for any country let alone a small nation of 35 million) and the preceeding Games is also in the same generic time "region"; so a cheap and nasty venue plan will just decimate any chances Toronto has. It doesn't mean Toronto needs a Beijing-esque plan; just one thats competitive with the other candidates.

This is the Olympics. The ACC will never be used for swimming. That makes no sense to me. I'm sorry!

Why not? it has the seating capacity/has been done before. If anything move basketball to the Rogers center and rugby to the York University stadium being used for the 2015PAG.

Why not? it has the seating capacity/has been done before. If anything move basketball to the Rogers center and rugby to the York University stadium being used for the 2015PAG.

Because Swimming should be held in a Aquatics only purpose venue.

ACC for Basketball is fantastic. Very friendly venue for spectators.

Because Swimming should be held in a Aquatics only purpose venue.

ACC for Basketball is fantastic. Very friendly venue for spectators.

Yes you are right the ACC is a natural fit for basketball.

If the city/government is trying to save money I can't see them building another venue for aquatics when they have one already. Considering most venues will already venue will be clustered in the waterfront region having one venue away from the Olympic park shouldn't be that big of a problem.

@memorabilia any new information you might have/expand on the info you already have.

Can anyone faster/memorabilia find out if Canada submitted WADA, CAS forms to the IOC?

Sorry, you have to be patient... I will not make my sources under pressure ! If you want to have good info from people you have to built trustful relationships and often let the info coming to you ;)

Sorry, you have to be patient... I will not make my sources under pressure ! If you want to have good info from people you have to built trustful relationships and often let the info coming to you ;)

Sorry if you felt like I was pushing for information. :(

We should be comparing SOGs with SOGs and WOGs with WOGs. Montreal 1976 is 44 years apart from a Toronto 2020. That's plenty of time.

Then why do the Winter Olympics get thrown in the U.S.' face when we bid for Summer Olympics? Sorry, but this sounds like double standards to say the least, now that someone else wants to host more often. An Olympic Games is an Olympic Games, no matter which way you look at it. The host nation/city still takes pride in whichever Olympics they are. Just like Vancouver did, & just PyeongChang will.

But if we want to play this way now, & shouldn't use Vancouver against a hypothetical Canadian summer bid, then we can't use Turin against Rome & Nagano against Tokyo. And Japan & Italy would still have they edge over Canada, since both other nations last hosted their respective Summer Games in the early 60's versus the one that hosted last in the late 70's. And Turkey has never hosted. So they trump over the other three.

Then why do the Winter Olympics get thrown in the U.S.' face when we bid for Summer Olympics? Sorry, but this sounds like double standards to say the least, now that someone else wants to host more often. An Olympic Games is an Olympic Games, no matter which way you look at it. The host nation/city still takes pride in whichever Olympics they are. Just like Vancouver did, & just PyeongChang will.

But if we want to play this way now, & shouldn't use Vancouver against a hypothetical Canadian summer bid, then we can't use Turin against Rome & Nagano against Tokyo. And Japan & Italy would still have they edge over Canada, since both other nations last hosted their respective Summer Games in the early 60's versus the one that hosted last in the late 70's. And Turkey has never hosted. So they trump over the other three.

That would certainly be a disadvantage, but Rome and Tokyo have staged the games before, Toronto has not.

When it comes to double standards don't you think five years (1996/2002) was too soon?

When it comes to double standards don't you think five years (1996/2002) was too soon?

I know you weren't asking me, but it's an open forum. Frankly, no; for a smaller country, yes. Atlanta and Salt Lake ran in multi-candidate races. The IOC freely chose them. Why should you blame the 2 cities & the country the come from, for winning so close to each other? You're mistaking 2 time-close victories of a nation 10x larger than yours for an "unspoken" rule that applies to smaller nations like Canada and Spain. This whole discussion JUST seems to go around and around. The valuation of a USA - China - Russia is just not the same as a Spain, Canada or even a South Africa.

You also always forget...and thus one has to mention it again...that it is the U.S. that pays for much of what the Olympics accomplish today. It pays bazinga billions for those TV rights; 6 or 7 of the TOP sponsors who pay over $100 million each every quadrennium are U.S. companies. So, and sorry to sound like a broken record, the U.S. has to be allowed some leeway in some areas. Plus, it's not like the U.S. just throws money at the IOC (like certain Gulf nations who shall remain nameless) and is a sporting nerd. We do EARN our share of medals too whether they are home-based games or elsewhere.

Again, I'd say, just chill out a little on this Toronto bid-hosting this time. Sorry, I don't think it's going to happen this time.

Again, INT. You're comparing apples to oranges. The United States is 10x's the size of Canada & is the IOC largest revenue provider. But even nowadays, I think those days of the U.S. hosting Winter & Summer Olympics so close together are long gone. That's why some Americans on these boards don't want the USOC to bid for Winter 2022, because they believe if successful, that that would just push an American Summer Olympics even futher out.

And Yeah, well. Chicago never hosted either, but that didn't mean anything to the IOC. And I'm sure the fact that Toronto (nor Madrid) hasn't hosted either will mean very little to them when it still sits inside a relatively very small country that's hosted their extremely fair share of Olympic Games.

Everything is possible in the Olympic World... So from a basic point of view, 2 Games in a decade in a same country, yes it will be too soon... but for IOC members...;

And we know the history of those elections... Economical pressure for the 1996 Games and Corruption for the 2002 Games !!!

And by the way, some people would think it's too short time a decade for both Games in the USA... but will not react the same for 2 Olympics in a decade in Europe ! In term of Economy, in term of inhabitants, we should compare sometimes USA & EU ! Yes, USA is one country when EU is 27 countries, but not so different ?!?!?!?!?!

But i am a little bit off subject here...

I agree. The Olympics are a huge investment and something that requires a country to pay literally billions of dollars to put on. So when you do that for, say, a Winter Olympics, the IOC might have pause before letting your country commit to doing the same for a Summer Olympics so soon after. We've seen too many bid processes where the voting patterns seem to indicate a preference for the next Olympics, so it can't be Summer to Summer or Winter to Winter.

You also always forget...and thus one has to mention them again...that it is the US that pays for much of what the IOC and the Olympics accomplish today: it pays bazinga billions for those TV rights; 6 or 7 of the TOP sponsors who pay about $100 million each every quadrennium are U.S. companies. So, and sorry to sound like a broken record, the U.S. has to be allowed some exceptions in some areas. Plus, it's not like the U.S. just throws money at the IOC (like certain Gulf nations who shall not be mentioned) and is a sporting nerd. We do EARN our share of medals too whether they are home-based games or elsewhere.

That's it right there. The USOC generates a ton of revenue for the IOC, so it's not a stretch for the United States to be selected as host a disproportionate number of times, especially when it accounts for more than half the population of North America (China, by comparison, only accounts for about 1/3 of Asia). Not that population means all that much in the grand scheme of things.

The other difference, and someone correct me if I'm wrong here because maybe this is perception.. as much as an Olympics is awarded to a city, it really belongs to an entire country, both symbolically and financially. That doesn't always seem to be the case here. I'm not really old enough to remember LA 1984, but whereas those seem like "America's Games," Atlanta 1996 seemed almost more to represent just the American south rather than the country as a whole. I can't speak for Canada, but that doesn't seem to be the case there, forgetting whatever financial guarantees there are that would work a lot differently in the United States.

In short, as has been brought up and repeated far too many times.. beware of using past precedent to try and predict the future. Would it really shock everyone that much to see 2 Olympics in the United States 6 years apart? I'm not saying it's likely, but it's certainly within the realm of reasonably possible, all other things aside.

You also always forget...and thus one has to mention them again...that it is the US that pays for much of what the IOC and the Olympics accomplish today: it pays bazinga billions for those TV rights; 6 or 7 of the TOP sponsors who pay about $100 million each every quadrennium are U.S. companies. So, and sorry to sound like a broken record, the U.S. has to be allowed some exceptions in some areas. Plus, it's not like the U.S. just throws money at the IOC (like certain Gulf nations who shall not be mentioned) and is a sporting nerd. We do EARN our share of medals too whether they are home-based games or elsewhere.

That's it right there. The USOC generates a ton of revenue for the IOC, so it's not a stretch for the United States to be selected as host a disproportionate number of times, especially when it accounts for more than half the population of North America (China, by comparison, only accounts for about 1/3 of Asia). Not that population means all that much in the grand scheme of things.

IOC Top Sponsors from US are actually only 6 on 11 (3 from Asia & 2 from Europe).

But their main interest is not the US market, but to be able to use the Olympic Brand Worldwide....

If they were just interested by the US market they will sign lower deals with the USOC.

So we could not use that as an argument, saying Games should come back to the USA because of the Top Sponsors....

(the reasoning is not the same regarding broadcasting rights !)

IOC Top Sponsors from US are actually only 6 on 11 (3 from Asia & 2 from Europe).

But their main interest is not the US market, but to be able to use the Olympic Brand Worldwide....

If they were just interested by the US market they will sign lower deals with the USOC.

So we could not use that as an argument, saying Games should come back to the USA because of the Top Sponsors....

(the reasoning is not the same regarding broadcasting rights !)

Don't forget the 4.4 billion for the U.S. television rights....

Archived