Toronto 2020

Hey THIS Toronto supporter happens to think if South Africa bid for 2024 and makes the short list (which they will), they will win unless something drastic happens.

If Toronto bids for 2024 I will be there/here to support the bid by default. But unless someone politics REALLY hard for Toronto (e.g. USOC backs a Toronto 2024 for favorable TV time zone or else), chances are slimmer than 2020 to be quite honest.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey THIS Toronto supporter happens to think if South Africa bid for 2024 and makes the short list (which they will), they will win unless something drastic happens.

If Toronto bids for 2024 I will be there/here to support the bid by default. But unless someone politics REALLY hard for Toronto (e.g. USOC backs a Toronto 2024 for favorable TV time zone or else), chances are slimmer than 2020 to be quite honest.

Even USOC support wouldn't do much for a Toronto bid. Plus if the US bids and wins 2022, it will be one other small strike against a Toronto bid in 2024.

Even USOC support wouldn't do much for a Toronto bid. Plus if the US bids and wins 2022, it will be one other small strike against a Toronto bid in 2024.

Maybe NBC lost a **** load of money from Rome2020 and not a solid TV rights bid from the US unless time zone falls on North American prime time, and yet STILL no US city wants to bid cuz of the economy.

Yeah I know it's a stretch but like I said, 2024 is a worse timing for Toronto than 2020 cuz of the potential South African bid in 2024.

Btw, I may be a Toronto supporter but it'd not because I fear them that they're not my favourites. It's more because they're always automatically given the seat of "African representative" while at the same time it's thought that Africa must host now. It's as if they're being told all they need to do is apply, and they'll get the Games on a silver platter. It's not fair to the rest of the bidders from Africa, nor to the other bidders from around the world.

We hope Munich gets 2022, so 2024 will be either the US or Toronto

Europe-Asia-NA-Europe-NA-Europe-Asia

has been the pattern for winter Olympics since the start of the four year cycle. By going with this pattern the North America is the next location.

Btw, I may be a Toronto supporter but it'd not because I fear them that they're not my favourites. It's more because they're always automatically given the seat of "African representative" while at the same time it's thought that Africa must host now. It's as if they're being told all they need to do is apply, and they'll get the Games on a silver platter. It's not fair to the rest of the bidders from Africa, nor to the other bidders from around the world.

I agree that whichever city from South Africa need to have at least a decent bid. I do firmly believe though that South Africa should be ready to host by 2024 to get a good enough technical score to shortlist, and we have already seen what IOC is willing to do for the "New Frontier". Besides 2020 looks to be back to Europe, so the IOC wouldn't want consecutive frontier games would work for SA's favour.

2024 is South Africa's to lose, just like 2008 was all Beijing from day one.

This has probably been stated already but in the span from 1976 to 2010, 18 Olympic Games have been held.

In that short amount of time 7 of those 18 have been hosted by the United States or Canada. Enough!

I love Toronto (and Denver) but US and Canadian bids seem boring now (sorry Japan and France you too).

Here's to the IOC to keep moving on to new territory or to places that haven't seen the games in 40+ years.

A long span of time between hosting makes the Games more "special" to each nation, a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Nobody that's an advocate for an African Olympics is saying that it's theirs on a "silver platter". Everyone says that they still need a VIABLE bid. Again, though, as has been cited many times, it doesn't need to be THE best bid. It just needs to work, like Rio's bid finally did. And it's disingenuous, to say the least, that it's "not fair" to the rest of the African bidders when really the only nation capable at this point is South Africa. And even moreso to say to the rest of the bidders around the world.

That's what the Munich & Annecy supporters were saying when PyeongChang won. But is that right to say? That's what the Chicago & Madrid supporters were saying, too. There'll always be people that are going to say that's it's not fair, particularly the ones that so much favored the losing bids, but I see no difference in a race where South Africa is involved, just like the races where South Korea, Brazil & China were in. If it was finally deemed their time, who's to say that it's "not fair" to the others who lost. All the bidders know the risk when they go in, & they shouldn't be crying foul before the race even begins. The IOC members can also resent such "not fair" sentiment just as much as anything else.

And it'll likely be Toronto winning against any U.S. city this time, I know it may not be much but I did some browsing on bids history. 1976 had three bids from the Soviet, the U.S. and Canada. Even though it is only three bids and may not mean much, in my opinion it does mean that we shouldn't just automatically assume that we'll loose if the U.S. bids for 2024. Plus, as of now the only city interested in hosting the 2024 summer Olympics is Philadelphia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_1976_Summer_Olympics

And it'll likely be Toronto winning against any U.S. city this time, I know it may not be much but I did some browsing on bids history. 1976 had three bids from the Soviet, the U.S. and Canada. Even though it is only three bids and may not mean much, in my opinion it does mean that we shouldn't just automatically assume that we'll loose if the U.S. bids for 2024. Plus, as of now the only city interested in hosting the 2024 summer Olympics is Philadelphia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_1976_Summer_Olympics

Don't always believe Wikipedia.

Montreal won because (1) it had a great reputation from its very successful Expo 67 experience; (2) it really was the compromise candidate between the 2 super-powers (the USA and USSR) and this was the height of the Cold War; and (3) the 1976 Winters were headed for Denver (over Sion) because it was going to be the IOC's Bicentennial gift to the US -- but that ungrateful city turned it down....and that's a whole 'nother ball of wax). However, as history turned out, Montreal staged the MOST BANKRUPT Games in history up to that time. Many cities got spooked by Montreal's example; subsequently, there were only singular bids for Winter 1980 and Summer 1984.

(Thank you, blacktrojan, for bringing back the topic because I forgot that Denver's bidding and winning was NOT merely a regular bid-run-&-win m.o., but the IOC made sure that the Denver bid sailed thru on the first ballot by awarding the Summer to Montreal, because the organization was offering it to the U.S. Olympic Committee as their Bicentennial gift to the U.S. And of course, here are those mountain loonies insultingly sending it back to the givers. That is the unforgivable sin of Denver. Because had the IOC known Denver wasn't really serious, they probably could've given Moscow the 1976 Summer and Sion the 1976 Winters right then and there!! Denver's withdrawal (the ONLY one in history not caused by a natural disaster or war) then caused the IOC to scramble for a substitute host.

As a matter of fact, there really was no global Bicentennial event in the U.S. because a joint-Philadelphia-Miami expo fizzled thru; a Denver WOGs went kerplop...so all in all, it was a rather mundane 1976...thanks to those patriotic Coloradoans!! Attn: you traitor Richard Lamm!! Denver, you do NOT deserve another go at the Winter Olympics!!!)

Wouldn't it be NICE to bring out that WHOLE STORY--either domestically and/or internationally when those dumb Denverites start yapping about "We want to bid!" Bid, my eye!!

Finally, when it came to be Los Angeles' turn to stage the 1984 Games, it showed the Olympic movement how to stage fiscally responsible Games (vis-a-vis fiscally foolish and irresponsible Montreal...which oddly enough repeated the same deficit stunt when they staged the OutGames in 2006; having those Games close their books on the deficit side).

For 2024, Durban and Dubai are the, so far, two most probable bidders. Philadelphia counts only if the USOC lets it bid; until then I would discount any US city for 2024.

Thanks for bringing back the topic, blackt -- it was worth the REVISIT!!

*For a Summer Games :lol:

For A Winter Games Denver would be the perfect choice in the States minus a key important event from the 1970's.

I was responding to Baron, not you my friend, and of course I am just kidding.

You should want the US to bid and win for 2022. It would open the door all the wider for Toronto to win in 2028 or beyond.

You should want the US to bid and win for 2022. It would open the door all the wider for Toronto to win in 2028 or beyond.

Any Olympics in the USA would be my first choice if Canada did not bid.

Any Olympics in the USA would be my first choice if Canada did not bid.

Archived