Toronto 2020

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well atleast we know now that Toronto will probably be bidding for 2024. The Ford brothers genuinely seem interested at a Toronto Olympics but after Mayor Ford's budget cuts it would look rather bad upon himself to go after an Olympics and go on a spending spree. I still kinda wish it got the green light

And another thing I'd like to add.

I don't want to hear a peep out of the Ford brothers mouths in regards to bringing an NFL team to Toronto for the rest of his term if he believes the city can't afford to bid for an Olympics and host. Meanwhile he has no problems dropping around $2 billion for a NFL franchise

Apparently, 89% support the bid.

A group of business men approached the Fords. If the Provincial and Federal governments can cover the costs (45% each and the private sector 10%) I can't see why not.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/vast+majority+of+gta+residents+support+a+2020+olympic+bid+new+poll/6442462684/story.html

Apparently, 89% support the bid.

A group of business men approached the Fords. If the Provincial and Federal governments can cover the costs (45% each and the private sector 10%) I can't see why not.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/vast+majority+of+gta+residents+support+a+2020+olympic+bid+new+poll/6442462684/story.html

That's pretty high support. I thought it would have been lower. They need to change their minds. The media here seems to be supportive of a bid as well but that's expected. I haven't heard any negatives

But city councillor Doug Ford, Mayor Rob Ford's brother and a close adviser, said Thursday the time is not right. He said no level of government can afford the money it would cost to host the Olympics.

My campaign for sanity has broken through! You guys should be happy. Toronto would have lost anyway...

If US gets a 2022 WOG, that opens up the window wider for Toronto in 2028. Be patient, and it could just happen if you bid at the right time.

I think the Ford brothers are a couple of tools...but I agree with them about this 100%. In a time when all levels of government in TO are looking at austerity, redirecting $$ to a bid is in bad taste. Hey we're closing your library--but the Torch Relay will run right past it!

Which is why I think Tokyo and Rome are gonna run into problems too. Who would've guessed that TURKEY'S economy would be the strongest for the 2020 bids.

I still think that Toronto 2024 has a better shot. And unless the US pulls off a spectacular bid for 2024 as well, all TO needs to do is stay in long enough for a US bid to be excluded...like Chicago 2016.

Besides the US economy is a disaster now and will be for years to come. Public appetite for a bid won't be strong unless it's for a 3rd tier city...and the odds of the IOC picking a Tulsa or MSP or Seattle over a Toronto or Madrid or Paris or Tokyo is slim.

Yep...it is "Games Over" for Toronto 2020. Well, now we can end the speculation.

I'm not surprised. It is a pragmatic decision. Toronto would have to build a lot to get ready for the Games and with the 2015 PanAms coming, they would be better off focusing on making that event a success.

My campaign for sanity has broken through! You guys should be happy. Toronto would have lost anyway...

If US gets a 2022 WOG, that opens up the window wider for Toronto in 2028. Be patient, and it could just happen if you bid at the right time.

What's the average age of the Toronto supporter here on GB??

So again 2002 Salt Lake 2008 Beijing 2022 USA 2028 Tokyo? :lol: Toronto has no chance especially since the "8" streak is pretty obvious.

Baron, the point of your question is?

I think 2024 would be a better try especially if the USA loses.

The appetite will probably be there in 2015 after Toronto stages the 2015 Pan Am games, with the bids due three months after the event, and probably with Ford out of office and Dalton about to make his last hoorah.

So again 2002 Salt Lake 2008 Beijing 2022 USA 2028 Tokyo? :lol: Toronto has no chance especially since the "8" streak is pretty obvious.

Then OBVIOUSLY, it's NOT Toronto's time. Why not let your COC take the lead? I am sure they know best when to do it. You guys are like lemmings jumping off a cliff. Just wanting your city to bid JUST FOR THE SAKE OF BIDDING, even after being warned (by objective outsiders) that these are NOT the right times for a Toronto bid.

Well if 2020 does go to Europe, 2024 is really between North America and Africa and another Tokyo bid.

2024 shortlist looking like this

Toronto

New York City/Chicago

Cape Town/Durban

Istanbul (if they don't win 2020)

Mexican city? Monterrey? Guadalajara?

Paris(would they still bid after a 2020 European host?

Guadalajara likely choice especially if the 2011PAG go smoothly, however they have been marred by huge delays and were recently awarded the 2017 world aquatics championships. I also recently read somewhere that an official said Guadalajara is too small to host the Olympics.

Well if 2020 does go to Europe, 2024 is really between North America and Africa and another Tokyo bid.

Toronto

New York City/Chicago

Cape Town/Durban

:rolleyes: Dubai has stated that it is priming itself for a 2024 run; so with Durban there, they are the only ones stupid and naive enough to think that they can give Durban a run for their money.

You think? I doubt Chicago would touch again after 2016. NYC is a great idea (my hometown actually), but it's a political minefield and it doesn't take much to set off a snarkfest in la grande pomme de terre. Ask Mike Bloomberg about stadia sometime.... ;)

Mexico won't happen so long as there remains a brutal drug war that's expanding across the country. And by 2017 it's likely that the ANC's default one party rule in South Africa will be on its way out--or gone. South Africa's economy and unemployment are a different kettle of fish entirely compared to Brazil's.

Toronto

New York City/Chicago

Cape Town/Durban

If Durban goes for the 2022 CWG which will cost about $4 billion minimum not all venues will be built for the Olympics (that would be 4X the cost of the World cup preliminary estimate).

I just can't see the IOC awarding Durban on its first chance, Dubai is likely setting up for a future bid.

Anyways, I am not economist (I do have some uni education though) there usually is an economic downturn every seven-ten years, that likely will be around 2021-2024.

However in and around 2015 is when the major economies are all aiming to be debt free, so anything is possible.

Archived