Toronto 2020

Canada, I was thinking he was asking USA?

I think it was Canada :lol:

Anyways back to topic, for mountain biking are there any requirements for the hill size?

I also have a source who said the aquatics center being built for the PAG will seat only 6,000 (as opposed to 10,000 in the bid book) and majority of those are temporary (2,500 permanent) and the field house will only seat 2,000 (as opposed to 3,000 in the bid book).

So considering all of this, one would think this facility would be best used for water polo/diving and a new pool being built in the Olympic park for swimming/synchro. swimming.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant if they decide to bid for the 2020 olympics. It makes no sense for Canadato bid for another winter olympics so soon. The best way to grow the summer sports is for them to have a summer olympics. So when do you think they would make an announcement for them bidding on the 2020 SUMMER OLYMPICS???

Yes he is talking about Canada!

^ sorry for messing that up :huh:

I know Wikepida is not a valid source but it is not the first place I have seen it (i.e newspapers online fourms) They have been going at this for a while. If they wait until 2024 they wil have absoulutly 0 chnace in my opinion. South Africa will bid and we all know the IOC is in love with them. Plus Dubai will likeley bid along with a US city. I think 2020 is their best shot (doesn't mean it is 100% but it is their best one)

Sorry forgot to add the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Summer_Olympics

The US is not going to bid if they know South Africa is in the race.

So to answer a question from another thread, Yes, from what i heard, COC is studying the case Toronto (as they had studied the Quebec ones, and ruled it out... if i understood clearly !)

Durban over Rome, Madrid, Toronto or even Istanbul on their first try? I don't see it happening.

Yeah I have to agree with that to, even Rio De Janerio bidded at least four times before finally winning the right to host the olympics; they bidded for 1936, 2004, and 2012.

Yeah I have to agree with that to, even Rio De Janerio bidded at least four times before finally winning the right to host the olympics; they bidded for 1936, 2004, and 2012.

I can see any continent winning in 2020, Europe in 2022, 2024 being in N/A or Europe who ever lost in 2020 2026 being In USA if Europe win 2024 and 2028 being in Tokyo.

With the way that the stock markets crumbled down today I just don't see a last minute bid from the USA and this doesn't help Rome and Madrid. A last minute bid from Toronto looks likely now. I would say Istanbul has a great chance too.

I actually sended Mr. Ford an email regarding this topic a couple of weeks back, this was his reply that he delivered to me on July 31st.

Thank you for your email.

As I promised during the mayoralty election, I am dedicated to delivering customer service excellence, creating a transparent and accountable government, reducing the size and cost of government and building a transportation city.

I will continue to work on behalf of the taxpayers to make sure you get the respect you deserve.

This note is to confirm that we have received your email and that we are looking into your matter.

Please feel free to follow up to check the status of your email.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Yours truly,

Mayor Rob Ford

City of Toronto

We're all in this together.

And here's my original message

>>> aedenbalfour 07/31/11 04:36 >>>

Dear Mr. Ford.

As you are probably aware of this, in just about a month is the deadline to submit a bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics, which in two years from now the IOC will decide who will be deserving of hosting this event. I am sending you this email because I do believe that 2020 is Toronto’s time. No. Canada’s time to show the world that we Canucks are a sports powerhouse that shouldn’t be taken for granted, and this is couldn’t be a more perfect time to bid for the Olympics. As you are probably aware, it will be 24 years since North America has last hosted the Olympics back in 1996, so that’ll increases our chances of getting a turn. There’s also gaining the experience to hosting large-scale events thanks to the 2015 Pan American Games; and most important, there is a severely low chance of the United States bidding due to they’re economic crisis, which is –while very tragic for the Americans- a good thing for us since it’s essentially saying that we should take the bidding seat representing North America. We also got a abnormally low amount of confirmed bids; only Tokyo, Rome, Madrid, and Istanbul have admitted themselves into the race, with no African nation planning to present they’re city since South Africa says they’re not going to bid.

All of this combined, this is the perfect opportunity for us to take the mantle as the Olympic Destination for 2020, so I urge you and Toronto to apply on hosting the olympics, and win the race so that our country will shine.

Sincerely~

Andrew Eden-Balfour

Rio won their first time being a candidate city, and more recent "first time" bids that won are Sochi, Sydney, Nagano, Atlanta, Albertville, Seoul, and Sarajevo. With Cape Town already bidding, and at least losing somewhat honorably for it to be their first time bidding, and recently hosting a successful World Cup as well as an IOC session, I would say there are more than enough ingredients to mount a successful bid.

Anyway, keep dreaming up a Toronto bid. I am not going to be a hater. I won't say that they won't put forth a bid for 2020, but IMO, that is just foolish and they will lose. Based on their past experience, maybe Toronto is not intelligent enough to recognize when the right times to bid are. I would think Dick Pound would know better.

Regarding the economy at the present moment... we still have over two years until decision day. Things are going to have to get better by then, right? So, as long as they can deliver the goods for game day, the IOC is not going to give a care in the world.

^^So what? Australia bid 3 different time with 3 different CITIES until finally successful with Sydney on it's FIRST try. And Rio de Janiero's 1936 bid hardly accounts for anything. That's was how many eons ago & totally irrelevant to their most recent bids. This is just embellishment & bias for supporters of other bids to ride on.

And the main reason why Rio was unsuccessful with their 2004 & 2012 attempts is because the IOC felt that they weren't ready yet. They still had not hosted the Pan Ams when Rio made those earlier bids. Durban & South Africa have already proven that they can handle major sporting events. South Africa already has one failed Olympic bid under their belt. And Jacques Rogge is virtually on his hands & knees begging for the South Africans to bid. I certainly don't see him doing that much groveling for any other Olympic wannabes.

The point is Rio bid four times, Sochi bid twice before so it really your point of winning on first try is wrong. If Cape Town bids in 2024 I certainly would think they are the favs. however its Durban.

I stand corrected, Sochi did bid twice. Still, there are plenty of other cities recently who won on their first try. I don't think Durban needs to be a repeat bidder in order to win. All they have to do is make it through to the shortlist round, and I think they certainly would be the favorites to come out victorious.

I stand corrected, Sochi did bid twice. Still, there are plenty of other cities recently who won on their first try. I don't think Durban needs to be a repeat bidder in order to win. All they have to do is make it through to the shortlist round, and I think that certainly would be the favorites to come out victorious.

Yeah...I mean the WHOLE small body of voters have all ACTUALLY set foot on the prospective city in the projected timeframe, so what other city has been accorded that OPPORTUNITY? So they KNOW what is and what isn't on the ground. They're certainly aware of why it was Durban over CapeTown or Johannesburg. They're NOT dumb.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/2020_bid_news/1216135847.html

No 2020 Olympic Bid From Toronto

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:28pm EDT

Toronto won't be bidding for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. The city was approached recently by a group of civic leaders looking for backing and funding for an Olympic bid. But city councillor Doug Ford, Mayor Rob Ford's brother and a close adviser, said Thursday the time is not right. He said no level of government can afford the money it would cost to host the Olympics.

He said, "we can't, the feds can't, the province can't, it's just not the time. Everyone would love it but financially no one is in the shape to take it".

.....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU--- This is the perfect chance dudes... This stinks D:

^^ I agree, what with only 4 confirmed bidders. So who cares about a little more debt?

2024 will most likely have a US bidder should they lose a 2022 Winter Olympics bid and is more so unlikely to go back to back North America (if the continental rotational policy is true).

Archived