Toronto 2020

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And using the Winter Olympics against anyone is a stretch as well. Not every country is capable of hosting. In the Americas there are 2 (of almost 50 nations). The IOC has to come to North America every decade or so and the US certainly isn't that interested in them enough to be awarded one every 12 years. The US and Canada will always have a recent winter games to contend with when bidding for a summer games, it is just going to be the way it is with the winter games moving towards a more regular movement between Europe, North America and Asia.

Exactly. The IOC benefitted from Vancouver 2010 just as much if not more than Canada did from hosting. With 2006 in Turin, what were the other alternatives for 2010? Salzburg or any other European bid would mean a consecutive European WOG (although even that is inevitable at some point). Pyeongchang wasn't ready. The US just had a WOG. China wasn't ready. Why should the countries capable of hosting the Winter Games be handicapped when bidding for the Summer Games? If they want the Summer Games more, should they just not bid for the Winter Games at all? If it weren't for countries like US/Canada/France/Germany/Italy/Japan hosting the Winter Games, the whole idea of a Winter Games would die out.

We should be comparing SOGs with SOGs and WOGs with WOGs. Montreal 1976 is 44 years apart from a Toronto 2020. That's plenty of time.

The COC president is from Quebec. I can imagine the kind of backlash he will receive from his fellow Quebecors.

I can't understand how Quebec City thinks they would have a winable bid for 2022. Another Winter Olympics 12 years after Vancouver? It would get clobbered by a Munich, an American bid, a Swedish bid, a Swiss bid, etc.

Canada's focus is on hosting a Summer Olympics. Once Toronto wins one, it will be easier for Quebec City to win a bid in the 40's, since the WOG will have to return to North America after another American WOG, and it would be easier to win a WOG than a SOG.

Toronto needs:

5 to 10 new hotels at the 3+ star rating

A dozenish new and temporary venues

A redeveloped Portlands with a new stadium

The completion of the 3 new planned subway lines including a direct link to the Airport

A new Terminal 2 at Pearson

Some major roadwork, including actually redeveloping the Gardiner Expressway

Just infrastructure work alone could cost as much as 5 billion. Venues around 2.5 billion, operations around 2 billion. It will be a 10 billion+ undertaking, but I think it will be worth it.

Toronto needs:

5 to 10 new hotels at the 3+ star rating

A dozenish new and temporary venues

A redeveloped Portlands with a new stadium

The completion of the 3 new planned subway lines including a direct link to the Airport

A new Terminal 2 at Pearson

Some major roadwork, including actually redeveloping the Gardiner Expressway

Just infrastructure work alone could cost as much as 5 billion. Venues around 2.5 billion, operations around 2 billion. It will be a 10 billion+ undertaking, but I think it will be worth it.

I agree with this.

There are quite a few 5 star skyscraper hotels under construction in downtown Toronto at the moment. Trump Tower and Shangri-La to name a few. I guess what you mean't was more affordable economical hotel rooms?

I believe the direct rail line to the airport from Union Station is about to begin construction soon.

In my opinion anything that is indirectly involved with the Olympics such as roads, transportation etc. shouldn't be included in the costs.

Here was my venue plan (new addition cost prediction)

Sport - City - Venue - # of seats

Archery - Toronto - E.T.Seton Park (temporary) 6,000 $10 Million

Athletics - Toronto - Olympic Stadium - 84,000 $550 million funded by private sector

Badminton - Direct Energy center Hall A - 5,000

Basketball - Toronto - Air Canada Center - 19,000

Boxing - Toronto - Direct Energy center Hall C - 7,000

Canoeing (sprint) - Toronto - Canoe/Rowing center - 12,000 $35 million

Canoeing (slalom) - Toronto - New stadium (temporary) - 6,000 $15 million

Cycling (Road) - Toronto - Road course - N/A

Cycling (Track) - Toronto - Velodrome/Multi sport center - 6,000 $45 million

Cycling (BMX) - Toronto - Where ever they build it for the 2015PAG - 5,000

Cycling (Mountain) - Toronto - Don Valley race course (temporary) - 6,000 $20 million

Diving - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center - 15,000 (expansion)

Equestrian - Toronto - Toronto Equestrian Stadium - 15,000 $50 million

Fencing - Toronto - Field house - 6,000 (expansion)

Field hockey - Toronto - U.of T hockey stadium and Lamport Stadium - 8,000 (expansion) 10,000 (renovation)

Football - Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa - BMO Field (23,000) Rogers Center (50,600) Olympic Stadium (84,000), Ivor Wynne Stadium (40,000) and Frank Clair Stadium (40,000)

Golf - Toronto - St. George's Golf and Country Club - N/A

Gymnastics - Toronto - National Trade Center hall B - 20,000

Handball - Toronto - Ricoh Coliseum - 8,000

Judo - Toronto - Metro Toronto Convention center - 6,000

Modern Pentathlon - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center/Field house and Toronto Equestrian Stadium - 15,000/6,000/15,000

Rowing - Toronto - Canoe/Rowing center - 12,000

Rugby - Toronto - Rogers Center - 50,600

Sailing - Royal Canadian Yacht Club - Toronto - N/A

Shooting - Olympic Shooting center /E.T.Seton Park (temporary) - Toronto - 5,050/6,000 $25 million

Swimming - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center - 15,000 (expansion)

Synchronized swimming - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center - 15,000 (expansion

Table tennis - Direct Energy center Hall D - 7,000

Taekwondo - Toronto - Metro Toronto Convention center - 6,000

Tennis - Toronto - Rexall Center@ York university - 12,000

Triathlon - Toronto - Exhibition Place Race course (temporary) - 10,000

Volleyball - Toronto - Volleyball arena (temporary) - 12,000 $35 million

Water Polo - Toronto - Etobicoke Olympium (Expansion/renovation) - 4,926

Weightlifting - Toronto - Molson Ampitheatre - 11,000

Wrestling - Toronto - Velodrome/Multi sport center - 6,000

New investment is about $810 million and renovations should cost about $100 million which means venue construction is less then a billion dollars.

In my opinion anything that is indirectly involved with the Olympics such as roads, transportation etc. shouldn't be included in the costs.

Direct & Indirect costs of the Games ot be included could be discuss... but IOC is clear in its definition on the NON-OCOG budget : direct capital investments needed for the games (as venues) + all other capital investments that participate to the success of the games (as transportation infrastructures) + games operations supporterd by other (as public security)

thats a very cheap 84,000 seat stadium.

In fact most of the costs are underestimated.... at least in USD ! If they are EUR, a little bit better !

And temporary venues should not been counted in the non-ocog budget!

I don't think so. If this stadium is gonna be used as an NFL stadium post-games, you better believe this stadium will have all the bells and whistles you'd expect of a top of the line stadium.

True, and when I said transportation etc. shouldn't be included I meant like when its released into the public.

Like To was bidding for 2015 their budget was $2.4 billion.

BTW, the airport link should be finished by 2015. The link to York university will also be done by 2015. The only thing needed is the bloor/danforth line to be extended into UTSC and everything should be fine.

A brand spanking new 84,000 seat stadium in a developed country for.... $550 million?! That would be one shoddy venue! And there's absolutely no way the IOC will elect a city with a crap Olympic Stadium in the plans; especially in a developed country.

A brand spanking new 84,000 seat stadium in a developed country for.... $550 million?! That would be one shoddy venue! And there's absolutely no way the IOC will elect a city with a crap Olympic Stadium in the plans; especially in a developed country.

Exactly! A **** half assed stadium won't work.

$550 million is the lowest they would use it could go all the way up to a $1 billion

intoronto, don`t you think they`ll construct a brand new Aquatic Center within the Olympic village?

No I do not, why would they when they have one at UTSC after the Pan American Games?

True, and when I said transportation etc. shouldn't be included I meant like when its released into the public.

Like To was bidding for 2015 their budget was $2.4 billion.

BTW, the airport link should be finished by 2015. The link to York university will also be done by 2015. The only thing needed is the bloor/danforth line to be extended into UTSC and everything should be fine.

Atleast 2 brand new subway lines would need to be constructed downtown as well. They've already been planned out, project name "Downtown Relief Lines" one for the East and one on the West side. I'll try and find the proposals.

No I do not, why would they when they have one at UTSC after the Pan American Games?

They might just use the Scarborough Aquatic Centre for Water Polo and as a training facility during an Olympics. I can see them constructing a better venue on the Waterfront, which makes it a more compact bid. The Scarborough location isn't the best.

Atleast 2 brand new subway lines would need to be constructed downtown as well. They've already been planned out, project name "Downtown Relief Lines" one for the East and one on the West side. I'll try and find the proposals.

Yes they have but the thing is the DRL will not work until the Sheppard line is extended into Scarborough and connected with the Bloor Line.

Archived