Toronto 2020

I wanted New York to win in 2012 but I wasn't here at the time to voice my opinion. Sources (which could be false) have said the Swiss, French and German etc. If theoretically they vote in a bloc that's already 9 votes.

I just wish we could all vote. :D

I'd also say Toronto would garner a majority of support from Central and South American members as well. The city has built great relations over the last few years within PASO and all high officials here and if Madrid is dropped off before Toronto lets say, there are the extra votes.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd also say Toronto would garner a majority of support from Central and South American members as well. The city has built great relations over the last few years within PASO and all high officials here and if Madrid is dropped off before Toronto lets say, there are the extra votes.

And the three votes from the Caribbean minus Spanish countries.

So Potentially Toronto has over 10 votes already! I would bid and hope for the best!

And the three votes from the Caribbean minus Spanish countries.

So Potentially Toronto has over 10 votes already! I would bid and hope for the best!

I wonder how far Canada's relationship within the Commonwealth countries could go for votes. I know they'd atleast have the support of the UK. I believe some deal was made between the both before and Canada gave its support to London 2012. I know Princess Anne voted for Toronto 2008.

Its not that easy, Canada has around 35 members that were from traditional friends and allies back in 2001, we didn't get 35 votes.

I think that the only way Toronto wins, is if CONI screws up again and it is Toronto vs. Madrid in a final round. The Italians and their supporters (and in many ways Madrid and their supporters) would choice to keep the games out of Europe for a chance next time then to support their rival.

If the final list is Istanbul, Tokyo, Toronto, Madrid and Rome, nothing right not suggests that the order of finish won't be that list with Rome winning.

If Toronto does win, wouldn't one think that the Pan Am village would be kept till 2020?

No, that's one of the issues they will have to face !

Why would they keep the Pan Am village for another 5 years for the Olympics when it can be flipped onto the real estate market and sold. Those units would sell quite fast as Toronto's real estate market is still hot and booming. Another village would be constructed near the Portlands for a 2020 bid.

Why would they keep the Pan Am village for another 5 years for the Olympics when it can be flipped onto the real estate market and sold. Those units would sell quite fast as Toronto's real estate market is still hot and booming. Another village would be constructed near the Portlands for a 2020 bid.

I guess to save money.

I guess to save money.

The problem is that it is not their money !!! But the one from private investors...

Usually to realise a village, you find privates investors interested to realise a real-estate program at their own costs, which will pre-sell the condos to the future owners and which will rent the village to the OCOG just before and during the games.

Public investments could be some advances in order to secure that the village would be finish on time, the purchase of the land or some urban operations.

OMG I take a vacation for a day and this comes up. This makes my day. :D

So, I hope for you that my source is not wrong !!!

I am honestly excited but also worried. I figure that it will take the perfect storm of outcomes for Toronto to win and I am not sure I really want to go through the emotional rollercoaster that is a bid (considering by abysmal track-record of sporting bids it sure hasn't been Toronto-Vancouver-Paris-Salzburg-Tokyo-Munich).

As a lot of people now here it puts you through an emotional journey to be as involved in the Olympics and truly having a horse in the race. And then the disappointment.

I created an Excel spreadsheet and did my own mock vote with the list of all IOC members eligible to vote in each round. This is all subjective based on country of origin, relations with other countries, countries own interests in regards to future Olympic games, etc.

These are the 5 cities I have shortlisted:

Rome,Istanbul,Toronto,Madrid and Tokyo

I have the 2020 race going to a final ballot between Toronto and Rome.

These are the numerical results I came up with. Pretty close.

Rd1 Rd2 Rd3 Rd4

Rome 26 33 37 54

Toronto 20 23 35 52

Tokyo 19 22 - -

Madrid 18 23 31 -

Istanbul17 - - -

One trend I noticed while doing this is Toronto will greatly benefit in votes once Madrid is dropped off the ballot. All the South American support that would be behind a Madrid bid will probably shift to a Toronto bid on a final ballot.

Once again, this is all subjective. I wouldn't discount Toronto's chances. They could garner substantial support throughout Latin America minus Mexico who most likely will vote for a Madrid bid, if Madrid is knocked down they'll support any of the other bids besides Toronto just in case they pursue the 2024/28 Summer Olympics.

The problem is that it is not their money !!! But the one from private investors...

Usually to realise a village, you find privates investors interested to realise a real-estate program at their own costs, which will pre-sell the condos to the future owners and which will rent the village to the OCOG just before and during the games.

Public investments could be some advances in order to secure that the village would be finish on time, the purchase of the land or some urban operations.

Who are your sources? I know you've been correct about things in the past.

I think a greater picture will emerge.

How can China best set up Shanghai in the near future?

How can the various presidential homefuls use the horse-trading surrounding the vote to their benefit. For instance if Canadidate A has X number of votes while City B has Y number of votes, City B tells Candidate A that Y will join their X if their X joins its Y kinda thing.

Other varous games decisions previous to that. What if Canada helps deliver the Caribbean to Gold Coast for 2018,will the powerful and influential Australians then support Toronto. Same goes for the Pan American Games, and future World's Fairs, major world championships, Asiads and the like.

What committements did Japan or China or Australia make surrounding the 2016 vote, will Italy or Spain backstab each other if one is limited and a European and non-European form the final pairing.

Can the vested interests of Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Austria upset the chances of a European host by caring more about their chances for 2022 or 2024.

Where will the non-interested Europeans stand (Britain and Russia). Russia does want another Summer Games sooner then later, does it pay to get a rival out of the way sooner and go after 2028 or 2032 with one less competitor at the risk of further embolden a potential return to Spain or does Russia hold off and go guns blazing for 2024 with St. Petersburg or Moscow.

How will divisions in Europe, Asia, Latin America and Africa affect the overall results, especially the latter 3.

I am honestly excited but also worried. I figure that it will take the perfect storm of outcomes for Toronto to win and I am not sure I really want to go through the emotional rollercoaster that is a bid (considering by abysmal track-record of sporting bids it sure hasn't been Toronto-Vancouver-Paris-Salzburg-Tokyo-Munich).

As a lot of people now here it puts you through an emotional journey to be as involved in the Olympics and truly having a horse in the race. And then the disappointment.

I created an Excel spreadsheet and did my own mock vote with the list of all IOC members eligible to vote in each round. This is all subjective based on country of origin, relations with other countries, countries own interests in regards to future Olympic games, etc.

These are the 5 cities I have shortlisted:

Rome,Istanbul,Toronto,Madrid and Tokyo

I have the 2020 race going to a final ballot between Toronto and Rome.

These are the numerical results I came up with. Pretty close.

Rd1 Rd2 Rd3 Rd4

Rome 26 33 37 54

Toronto 20 23 35 52

Tokyo 19 22 - -

Madrid 18 23 31 -

Istanbul17 - - -

One trend I noticed while doing this is Toronto will greatly benefit in votes once Madrid is dropped off the ballot. All the South American support that would be behind a Madrid bid will probably shift to a Toronto bid on a final ballot.

Once again, this is all subjective. I wouldn't discount Toronto's chances. They could garner substantial support throughout Latin America minus Mexico who most likely will vote for a Madrid bid, if Madrid is knocked down they'll support any of the other bids besides Toronto just in case they pursue the 2024/28 Summer Olympics.

Who are your sources? I know you've been correct about things in the past.

I have given clues in the past. Toronto's logo and branding will look something like my screen name ;)

@memorabilia I am pretty sure the government is paying for it and plans on selling it to private investors after the games.

@Faster Lets hope your luck changes this time around!

@monorail do you have a more detailed spreadsheet

@*20ron20* Very creative.

@ Faster any new information?

The COC is being quite. I am not entirely sure. Canada already complies with CAS and WADA so that is a formality and the dates proposals were only to host outside of the regular time-frame. I have been given reasonable indication that the COC did file the paperwork as it works through various issues but because of these issues it is unlikely that a confirmation will not come around this time.

The cynical answer is Quebec City. Quebec was extremely made when Vancouver beat them in 2001 and still thinks it has the right to bid first. Also if they end up not bidding, it saves some face with the local media and prevents negative stories from coming out from now until September. Issues still need to be worked out, so its not a for-gone conclusion Toronto will bid, but the indications have been fairly positive. I guess we will wait and see.

Archived