Toronto 2020

Rumours are more and more accurate....

I know that could seem crazy, but a decision would have been taken by Toronto & the COC.... to Bid for the 2020 Summer Games !!!

When will we have an official announcement ???

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumours are more and more accurate....

I know that could seem crazy, but a decision would have been taken by Toronto & the COC.... to Bid for the 2020 Summer Games !!!

When will we have an official announcement ???

Here is what I know:

The Federal Government has been approached about a bid, along with the Provincial government the proposals have been viewed favourably

The civic government is another matter, the Ford regime does not want to put itself out on something like the Olympics and the COC is very concerned about a Toronto bid being perceived to be incapable of delivering what it promised due to poor civic leadership (the current transportation battle highlights this)

The COC has told all parties involved that it is out of the question to spread the games out as much as the Pan Ams have been.

The COC has recieved encouraging support from various factions of the IFs and within the IOC. Specifically the French, German and Swiss.

The COC wants to bid and thinks that there is no better time to bid then 2020 with it being as wide-open as it is and with so many European nations wanting 2022.

Oh and according to one source:

Japan, Spain, Italy and Canada have all hosted games within recent memory. Out of the 4 Canada and Spain left the best impressions on the IOC and that could mitigate the closeness of it. All will be going for their 2nd summer games and all but Spain have hosted the winter version twice, most successfully by Canada.

Here is what I know:

The Federal Government has been approached about a bid, along with the Provincial government the proposals have been viewed favourably

The civic government is another matter, the Ford regime does not want to put itself out on something like the Olympics and the COC is very concerned about a Toronto bid being perceived to be incapable of delivering what it promised due to poor civic leadership (the current transportation battle highlights this)

The COC has told all parties involved that it is out of the question to spread the games out as much as the Pan Ams have been.

The COC has recieved encouraging support from various factions of the IFs and within the IOC. Specifically the French, German and Swiss.

The COC wants to bid and thinks that there is no better time to bid then 2020 with it being as wide-open as it is and with so many European nations wanting 2022.

Oh and according to one source:

Japan, Spain, Italy and Canada have all hosted games within recent memory. Out of the 4 Canada and Spain left the best impressions on the IOC and that could mitigate the closeness of it. All will be going for their 2nd summer games and all but Spain have hosted the winter version twice, most successfully by Canada.

I did not know about the Federal or Provincial governement, nore the "civic governement" (by the way, what is it exactly), but what you said about the NOC confirmed what i have been told !

This is indeed Toronto's best chance. You got a potential Berlin bid, possibly last minute Doha and Baku to be added in the race.

Given the competition, it would indeed be their best chance in spite of Rio hosting in 2016.

As for public funds, it's not the issue come bid stage, as I'm sure corporate funding will be secured to finance the bid. It's more so the public funding which will be used for the construction of sports venues etc. Things like the athletes' village will be privately financed.

The question is, will Toronto folks want to spend the additional 2 to 3 billion to fund an Olympics on top of their 1.5 billion spent on their 2015 Pan American Games?

From my understanding, the city of Toronto wouldn't foot the bill. From my understandings, it will be the Federal/Provincial governments.

Just thinking about the possibility of having the first Olympic city to host Rowing/Canoeing right in front of the Olympic Stadium and the downtown core skyline would be spectacular.

^^ Well that was the plan for 2008. However, if they do decide to cheapen things a little and spread out competition venues (as is the case for 2015, alongside using the downtown), then it will most likely be St Catherines hosting rowing rather than a temporary course downtown.

I did not know about the Federal or Provincial governement, nore the "civic governement" (by the way, what is it exactly), but what you said about the NOC confirmed what i have been told !

Basically it's the fancy pants way of saying City Hall, including the incumbent Mayor Rob Ford and the city council. Personally, I am rather surprised Rob is really hesitant on agreeing on this bid; one of the big tidbit gossip surrounding him is that he is really eager to bring an NFL team to the big T.O. Of course it's next to impossible thanks to Rogers Centre being too small; with the Olympics it will be a perfect excuse for him to build an NFL sized stadium.

I see your point, but the fact remains that Canada will have hosted Olympic Games a scant 3 years prior to the 2020 vote. I just can't see the IOC handing them Summer Games so quickly.

I see your point, but the fact remains that Canada will have hosted Olympic Games a scant 3 years prior to the 2020 vote. I just can't see the IOC handing them Summer Games so quickly.

Yeah, I mean, it's been said time and time again - but, it's just too soon.

Toronto may be a fantastic host, but Canada has really been on Olympic overload in the last 40 years.

In the space of just over 40 years we'd have

- Montreal 76

- Calgary 88

- Vancouver 2010

- Toronto 2020

No matter how you look at it, success measured, comparing to other countries - that is a sh1tload for one country in such a short period of time (in terms of Olympiads at least). We're averaging 1 Olympics every decade here.

Especially when we have people saying Australia will have to wait until the 2040's to host another Olympic Games.

I think a lot of people forget that if it had been Toronto vs. Athens in the final vote back in 1990, Toronto would have won, only 2 years after Calgary and 14 years after Montreal. The games will eventually have to come back to North America (by 2020 it will be 24 years) and the IOC is limited in choice. So if the Americans aren't interested, the IOC will eventually come calling. The COC has indications of support from 4 very important NOCs.

And comparing to Australia is well a bit of a stretch. Australia has already hosted twice, with both of their cities capable of hosting. Australia is the sole standard bearer for an entire region So if Australia was to get the games in 2040, 3 summer games in 84 years is pretty good considering. It took the UK a 104 (and the US 80).

And using the Winter Olympics against anyone is a stretch as well. Not every country is capable of hosting. In the Americas there are 2 (of almost 50 nations). The IOC has to come to North America every decade or so and the US certainly isn't that interested in them enough to be awarded one every 12 years. The US and Canada will always have a recent winter games to contend with when bidding for a summer games, it is just going to be the way it is with the winter games moving towards a more regular movement between Europe, North America and Asia.

Do I think Toronto is going to win, no. But from everything I have heard, it is not impossible either and stands a better chance then they did in 2001. Without the Americans in the picture and with so many European countries more concerned about 2022 then 2020 (and some 2024), Europe is again not unified and that leaves the door wide open to Toronto and Tokyo. A lot of people said 2000 was too early to return to Australia back in the early 90's, anything can happen and it doesn't hurt to put yourself out there.

A Toronto bid could have two big advantages over the other cities in this race: 1) Canada's economy is not on the brink of default and 2) Toronto isn't sitting 120 miles from the site of a massive earthquake/tsunami and resulting nuclear disaster. Would that be enough for Toronto to win? Probably not, but they would start this race with fewer negatives than the other cities.

I think for Toronto to win 2020 the bid will have to rely on votes against other bids rather than votes for a Toronto Games.

- Votes against Rome, Madrid because other European Cities want 2022/2024

- Votes against Tokyo because of the natural disasters

- Votes against Istanbul because of "not another new frontier" (this is solely my own opinion based on nothing)

I think for Toronto to win 2020 the bid will have to rely on votes against other bids rather than votes for a Toronto Games.

- Votes against Rome, Madrid because other European Cities want 2022/2024

- Votes against Tokyo because of the natural disasters

- Votes against Istanbul because of "not another new frontier" (this is solely my own opinion based on nothing)

Well, how about votes AGAINST Toronto because that country just had the last Winter Games which were really BIG (physically)?? And the IOC would award the Norhtern neigbhor which pays piddly for the TV rights after passing over the neighbor to the south twice and which PAYS THE BURDEN of all Olympics revenues worldwide? Now that makes total sense. :blink:

A Toronto bid could have two big advantages over the other cities in this race: 1) Canada's economy is not on the brink of default and 2) Toronto isn't sitting 120 miles from the site of a massive earthquake/tsunami and resulting nuclear disaster. Would that be enough for Toronto to win? Probably not, but they would start this race with fewer negatives than the other cities.

The question of default is going to be a non-issue by the time of the 2013 vote. It's not going to happen.

The Fukushima disaster will have shrunken quite a bit in the rear-view mirror as well.

Well, how about votes AGAINST Toronto because that country just had the last Winter Games which were really BIG (physically)?? And the IOC would award the Norhtern neigbhor which pays piddly for the TV rights after passing over the neighbor to the south twice and which PAYS THE BURDEN of all Olympics revenues worldwide? Now that makes total sense. :blink:

Err I didn't say Toronto WILL win this. I said for Toronto to win they will have to rely on votes against other bids more so than votes for the Toronto bid.

Any bid from the US will win over Canadian bid in 2020 for sure. It's just too bad that they were against the juggernaut that was Rio in 2016, and the NYC bid crashed and burned. You can't say that the IOC said no thank you to the US but award Canada instead if they are not bidding at the same time.

I think a lot of people forget that if it had been Toronto vs. Athens in the final vote back in 1990, Toronto would have won, only 2 years after Calgary and 14 years after Montreal. The games will eventually have to come back to North America (by 2020 it will be 24 years) and the IOC is limited in choice. So if the Americans aren't interested, the IOC will eventually come calling. The COC has indications of support from 4 very important NOCs.

The problem is the Americans ARE interested. The 2012 and 2016 races show that. The pain and anger over Chicago's loss shows that. The US cares about the Olympics and wants more Summer Games. That much is abundantly clear. In order for the IOC to choose Toronto, they would have to consciously spurn their biggest source of revenue. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be an extremely compelling reason for them to do that.

As for support from NOC's, the vote is secret and NOC's are fickle. I suspect those indications of support aren't worth the paper they aren't printed on.

I'm not convinced Toronto would have beaten Atlanta. The IOC wanted a stable host for centennial Games. LA was a huge success. Montreal was a financial nightmare still fresh in the IOC's memory (not to mention Canada's). Canada was even less of a summer sports power than it is now. (Personally, I wish Toronto had been in the race and beaten Atlanta, but that's another story....)

As much as people may think Toronto has no chance at winning because of Vancouver, I still think this could be the city's best shot at winning out of all the bidding cycles they've entered.

That may be, but it's not saying much because Toronto's timing has been abysmal.

Understand me, I believe Toronto could host very good Games, but the timing has been (and it sounds like it still is) really, really off.

Add for the people who say it might be too soon, you might be right but its not you who decides the IOC does. I would thin NBC would love a Toronto Olympics and what a way to end the contract and raise the price of bidding.

Here is the venue plan I proposed over at the other Toronto thread:

Sport - City - Venue - # of seats

Archery - Toronto - E.T.Seton Park (temporary) 6,000

Athletics - Toronto - Olympic Stadium - 84,000

Badminton - Direct Energy center Hall A - 5,000

Basketball - Toronto - Air Canada Center - 19,000

Boxing - Toronto - Direct Energy center Hall C - 7,000

Canoeing (sprint) - Toronto - Canoe/Rowing center - 12,000

Canoeing (slalom) - Toronto - New stadium (temporary) - 6,000

Cycling (Road) - Toronto - Road course - N/A

Cycling (Track) - Toronto - Velodrome/Multi sport center - 6,000

Cycling (BMX) - Toronto - Where ever they build it for the 2015PAG - 5,000

Cycling (Mountain) - Toronto - Don Valley race course (temporary) - 6,000

Diving - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center - 15,000 (expansion)

Equestrian - Toronto - Toronto Equestrian Stadium - 15,000

Fencing - Toronto - Field house - 6,000 (expansion)

Field hockey - Toronto - U.of T hockey stadium and Lamport Stadium - 8,000 (expansion) 10,000 (renovation)

Football - Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa - BMO Field (23,000) Rogers Center (50,600) Olympic Stadium (84,000), Ivor Wynne Stadium (40,000) and Frank Clair Stadium (40,000)

Golf - Toronto - St. George's Golf and Country Club - N/A

Gymnastics - Toronto - National Trade Center hall B - 20,000

Handball - Toronto - Ricoh Coliseum - 8,000

Judo - Toronto - Metro Toronto Convention center - 6,000

Modern Pentathlon - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center/Field house and Toronto Equestrian Stadium - 15,000/6,000/15,000

Rowing - Toronto - Canoe/Rowing center - 12,000

Rugby - Toronto - Rogers Center - 50,600

Sailing - Royal Canadian Yacht Club - Toronto - N/A

Shooting - Olympic Shooting center /E.T.Seton Park (temporary) - Toronto - 5,050/6,000

Swimming - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center - 15,000 (expansion)

Synchronized swimming - Toronto - Toronto Aquatic Center - 15,000 (expansion

Table tennis - Direct Energy center Hall D - 7,000

Taekwondo - Toronto - Metro Toronto Convention center - 6,000

Tennis - Toronto - Rexall Center@ York university - 12,000

Triathlon - Toronto - Exhibition Place Race course (temporary) - 10,000

Volleyball - Toronto - Volleyball arena (temporary) - 12,000

Water Polo - Toronto - Etobicoke Olympium (Expansion/renovation) - 4,926

Weightlifting - Toronto - Molson Ampitheatre - 11,000

Wrestling - Toronto - Velodrome/Multi sport center - 6,000

All venues (besides football) are located in the city and are all accessible by transit by 2020! Very good bid probably the best technical bid possible.

Tell me what do you think! (BTW for those who are saying the rowing course should be near the Olympic stadium think again. The IOC had very strong security concerns about the area so Toronto better change it if they want to win.

Add for the people who say it might be too soon, you might be right but its not you who decides the IOC does.

Well, NONE of us here decide. But this an Olympic forum DISCUSSION board. And it's main purpose is for *objective & unbiased* people to be able to gauge the chances of potential Olympic bids from past IOC bidding processes. Just like "BidIndex" does here on this very same website.

And quite frankly, I can't see the IOC giving a small nation of less 35 million people a 4th Olympic Games in only 44 years time. No other nation of this small size, other than France, has been able to this. And that was long ago & with the help of Baron Pierre de Courtebin.

And the IOC doesn't "have to" come back to North America. If they did, they would've done it for 2016. And some of you conveniently now trying to seperate the Summer Games from the Winter Games is totally hypocritical. An Olympic Games is an Olympic Games, no matter which way you look at it. That's at least what you people saying when you try to use those arguments against the United States. Australia is not that much different either. It's not like North America is like Europe or even Asia, where you could literally have several viable options those places.

Well, NONE of us here decide. But this an Olympic forum DISCUSSION board. And it's main purpose is for *objective & unbiased* people to be able to gauge the chances of potential Olympic bids from past IOC bidding processes. Just like "BidIndex" does here on this very same website.

And quite frankly, I can't see the IOC giving a small nation of less 35 million people a 4th Olympic Games in only 44 years time. No other nation of this small size, other than France, has been able to this. And that was long ago & with the help of Baron Pierre de Courtebin.

And the IOC doesn't "have to" come back to North America. If they did, they would've done it for 2016. And some of you conveniently now trying to seperate the Summer Games from the Winter Games is totally hypocritical. An Olympic Games is an Olympic Games, no matter which way you look at it. That's at least what you people saying when you try to use those arguments against the United States. Australia is not that much different either. It's not like North America is like Europe or even Asia, where you could literally have several viable options those places.

I wanted New York to win in 2012 but I wasn't here at the time to voice my opinion. Sources (which could be false) have said the Swiss, French and German etc. If theoretically they vote in a bloc that's already 9 votes.

I just wish we could all vote. :D

Rob Ford is the new Mel Lastman. But more arrogant. The COC isn't stoopid; they'll pass on this time, hoping he either smartens up or gets voted out before the 2024 bids

Archived