The Look of the games

Okay, while I love the looks of the games, the colors and and everything, they did a really poor job of hanging the wraps (if thats what you call them??) that are inside arenas. Examples are the Indoor Volleyball Arena and North Greenwhich Arena for gymnastics. Not the lower ones but the upper ones that say only London 2012. They look like they're almost falling off and doesn't look very good on TV. Has any one else noticed this or is it just me???

Yes! I was just thinking this yesterday . . . I was at the equestrian venue the other day and one of the wraps (the huge multi-story ones on the side of the stands) actually fell off!! Really embarrassing.

All in all, I have to say that I think this look is one of the worst of all time. I'm a big fan of the logo, but actual execution leaves a lot to be desired. I appreciate what LOCOG have tried to do, but I think they really missed the boat on this one.

That being said, I went to Sochi Park yesterday, and their look is gorgeous!

Serious question:

Did the shard influence this look, it must have been in planning for several years.

It might've been sheer coincidence. The thing is, you look at all the previous Looks, and then you decide: OK, what are we left with? What hasn't been done yet? And there aren't that many non-repeat designs that are simple enough and would look good on bunting running around the FOPs. So all that was decided like halfway in the point of LOCOG's life, so maybe going into 2009?? And the Shard building was probably just going up then, right? Maybe the two efforts shared certain designers, too?? But interesting study to make.

I like the colors, and how the venues have a diversified palette, but the shards are just kind of boring, and really not inspiring in any way. I too, have never been a fan of the logo.

All in all, I give the look (at least from what I can see of it on TV), a 6.5 out of 10.

It will be interesting to try to find similar photos from past Games once these ones are over. I mean, photos from the same angle in equivilent venues.

My events so far, and the "Look"

Handball - very, very pink, Liked the logo on the back wall and the pictograms next to it.

Wimbledon - courts fairly plain but love the rings on the nets. A bit different from "normal Wimbledon". The complex itself was beautifully dressed though with giant pictograms and banners everywhere, Wenlock topiary, Olympic rings etc.

Archery - Giant logo behind the targets looked great and the rings on the media stand were a nice touch.

Beach volleyball - Wow! From the outside the venue is magnificent in its yellow and purple, from the inside it all looked even better - really fresh. This is the venue where the look really came to life.

Hockey - like handball very, very pink but complemented the pitch well.

Edited by RobH

I think London's Look works very well for digital photography and HD Video.

But is within that very statement that I think comparisons to much older looks can be a bit unfair. Whilst comparisons to Athens (First fully HD games) and beijing are fairer, when looking at Sydney and Atlanta one has to remember alot of the photography and footage was done in analog formats. (For those of you who think that it doesn't really matter consider how TV shows such as magyver or Star Trek TNG were filmed compared 24 or Battelstar Galatica). HD and Digital photography allow for much better colour reproduction and contrast and beyond that, also more detail.

Some people have criticised atlanta's and sydney's looks as too bland with one flat colour (which with sydney is actually untrue there were several base colours but the blue was very very dominant), aside from the fact that as olympic looks evolve they should get better and better, the target tv's for those games could really only handle a flat colour and wordmark effect and would oversaturate the colours and patterns. A gradient rainbow like beijing would have looked like a mess on those TVs.

The old tv's also have another effect on these looks - that they looked a hell of alot better in real life than what most people saw on television. As anyone who attended Atlanta or Sydney can attest. The detailed quilt design of atlanta was effectively lost in many instances and would been far more impressive in HD.

Sydney's subtle dynamic energy was actually quite a good balance of busy and sleek and again would have com across better in HD.

Please see these decent resolution photos of the sydney look as an example of how the look shows up much better when captured digitally/sharper.

images.jpg

2000%20Olympic%20Sydney.jpg

1413388.jpg

A direct comparison of the oversaturated blurry SD video and Digitial HD (technically digital SLR still but for illustration purposes)

TrampolineJedJacobsohnGETTY1053750.jpg

460380_m02.jpg

(Though that last london pic might be a bit misleading due to the focus in the photo to the branding not feet, but my signature is a further infinite focus example of the difference in sharpness, exposure and colour reproduction.)

Sydney 2000

TrampolineJedJacobsohnGETTY1053750.jpg

The Sydney look is literally forgettable, in that I actually forgot what the look was. Even this photo doesn't evoke a memory of the look. It's neither bad nor good, just forgettable.

So far, I'm a big fan of London's look and how they've applied it at venues. I really like the athletes' entrance area at the aquatics centre.

The Look is really just a blending background. It CAN'T be too busy or calling too much attention to itself because then it takes away from the athletic performances. A good Look is one which is attractive but is NOT too attention-grabbing. Except for that flat logo, London has done a great job of venue decor that warms up the venues but then recedes from attention once the competition begins. At least, that's how it has affected me.

I have a feeling, unless the IOC reins them in, Sochi will be too much.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Of course it is a biased view, but I felt it was quite memorable in person. It also was a look that worked well in print (programmes, documentation and posters), so I guess it perhaps did not translate well over broadcasts and was therefore forgettable, as you have suggested.

I think in the context of the time Sydney's look was quite groundbreaking. It's unique custom made font wordmark was a first for olympic branding and to my knowledge was the first look to rely on the wordmark solely in branding without the logo in place with it (Atlanta's wordmark had the logo sitting in the middle between city and year, Barcelona and nagano both had the logo to the left of the wordmark in branding of venues). Both of these innovations had dramatic repercussions on future olympic branding (Torino, beijing and London), bringing the wordmark to forward relevance, perhaps more than the logo itself.

Even the wordmarks that did not use custom fonts in the past decade have also adopted use of the wordmark without logo on branding strips. I have a personal affection for the sydney brand, but it is far from my favourite, I just feel its' merits and influence are under appreciated.

For anyone interested a very good case study of the sydney brand was published this year:

PDF (Better Version):http://r-co.com.au/media/36944/sydney_2000_olympic_games.pdf

http://blog.r-co.com.au/case-study-the-sydney-2000-olympic-games-brand-identity-program/#disqus_thread

Back to the thread topic, I think the Archery, Basketball and Beach Volleyball venues look great.

The stadium looks good in royal purple, but I think some thought needs to be had about how to balance the needs of Moving head lighting rigs and the look branding. In the stadium alot of the look is blocked by the MACs and other rigging. This happened alot in Athens as well, not as much in beijing, but it spoils the stadium branding a little for me.

I must say that I really liked the whole Look of the Games.

Not only the ones directly in the venues, but also the whole throughout the city.

I wasn´t a big fan of the Logo (and I still see Lisa Simpson in it), but it fits perfectly to

the "Look of the Games".

My fav so far is the volleyball arena at Earl´s Court. Bright Blue and bright orange.

Ok, everybody. After having seen the Games almost through to the end, here are my final thoughts on the Look.

Where the venues are concerned, the Look actually works pretty well on tv. I really like the fact that there are so many different shades of each hue. It's not just one purple, but five or six different purples bouncing off each other. I like the styling of the Rhythmic Gymnastics venue and I like beach volleyball. This look provided an effective bright background for the competition.

I still do not find the Look innovative at all. I also think it's interesting to note that the Union Jack is made up of intersecting lines and shards. The London Look is, in some ways, a heavily deconstructed Union Jack.

Because the Look is so simple, LOCOG has relied especially heavily on the word mark to add interest. While I understand the choice, in some applications they've gone overboard with far too many London 2012's in one space.

From what I can see from tv and online photos it does seem that the city could've used a bit more sprucing up in places, but that can probably be said of every previous Olympic host. I do wish some of the banners were larger and more plentiful.

On the whole, it did turn out better than I expected. I don't think it rivals Athens or LA, but it easily surpasses Atlanta and probably edges Sydney, maybe Beijing as well.

• Like 1

Because the Look is so simple, LOCOG has relied especially heavily on the word mark to add interest. While I understand the choice, in some applications they've gone overboard with far too many London 2012's in one space.

There is probably no question no that I love olympic wordmarks, but I absolutely agree they are way overused in some venues, especially in the rythmic gymnastics - varying sizes and three layers of wordmark before you even get from the gym floor to the stands...

There is probably no question no that I love olympic wordmarks, but I absolutely agree they are way overused in some venues, especially in the rythmic gymnastics - varying sizes and three layers of wordmark before you even get from the gym floor to the stands...

Exactly. I should've said I love the colors of the Rhythmic Gymnastics venue (which I do), but they went berserk with the word mark.

Back to the thread topic, I think the Archery, Basketball and Beach Volleyball venues look great.

The stadium looks good in royal purple, but I think some thought needs to be had about how to balance the needs of Moving head lighting rigs and the look branding. In the stadium alot of the look is blocked by the MACs and other rigging. This happened alot in Athens as well, not as much in beijing, but it spoils the stadium branding a little for me.

I would add Fencing to the list - they did a really good job dressing up the conference centre. The Equestian venues (especially for Cross Country) where stunning as well. Horse Guard parade is, however, probably my favourite venue of the games. And hosting Archery at Lords was genius.

On the flip side I heavily dislike the Artistic Gymnastic venue. But still, overall good look of the games, though overall I preferred Beijing's.

Edited by Fox334