The Look of the games

Okay, having watched the early events yesterday, and caught up in the later action since waking up, my thoughts.

* As Paul said, the green and lush countryside in the cycling road race and at the rowing looked, well, so clean and pleasant. Lovely scenery.

* beach volleyball on Horse Guards looks great! Like the signage and the historic buildings in the background really give the London feel.

* Generally, from what I've seen of the signage at the venues, I quite like the purple best, as at the basketball, or at te beach volleyball as I said above. For some reason, the swimming venue, in it's blue, desn't stand out for me. Looks too generic. The venue itself also looks generic - I 'm surprised, I expected the swimming centre to be the standout.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far in NBC coverage the venue trim has been very plain looking. In aquatics it seem to be just the few contrasting yellow shards showed up, the other blue tones did not have the contrast and looked like a solid field. I noticed the contrasting shards seem to be the sole part that shows in other colored venues also like boxing, table tennis, basketball and the road race. However the greenery grasses and trees look amazing in the road race, the true green and pleasant land.

This is exactly what I've been saying for months and others got angry at me for jumping to conclusions. The Look is very basic.

I agree that the green countryside and old architecture are absolutely delightful, but they aren't exactly Look elements.

The Look looks MUCH better on television, as it should. Very clean and sleek.

As far as individual venues go, the best I've seen (which hasn't been much, need to catch up!) are probably Beach Volleyball and Aquatics. The video screen wall displaying the swimmer's name as they come out was a very nice touch.

All the pink and purple at the Gymnastics arena seems to be eating up the athletes wearing reds and pinks. So that's not good.

Overall however, it seems like the Look is doing its job very nicely. Though I still maintain it's not the most creative or artistic one.

Funny, I've just caught my first look at the O2 Gymnastics, and I don't mind that at all. I'm tending to like the more purple decked venues best. It's the blue at swimming (well, not bad, but not standout) and pnk at the hockey that I've found a bit more jarring.

They have carried the shard lines through to the videos that they play in the venues. At Fencing tonight, they had little animations of runners moving towards the logo and leaving the interlocking shard lines in their wake. Looked quite cool.

The flags and pictograms outside the venues look fabulous.

The Fencing venue looked very bizarre - not entirely sure what that look was about!

I have seen a few sports now and i must say i am absolutely in love with the branding used in the venues... Superb

I like the London one, but Beijing was more colorful and said more about the country to me... Athens was perfect!

London decoration in the venues is a bit "high-tech-ish"... It's nice, but not my fav

I like the gymnastics a lot, NBC shows lots of close ups of the perimeter look near the floor by all the athletes, and the mix of pink and reds looks cool.

Favorite arenas looks so far:

Gymnastics

Beach Vollyball (the architecture backdrop)

Ping Pong

Vollyball

The swimming arena is very beautiful inside. The part of presentation of the athletes is very nice. I also like the court on handball arena.

Handball arena yesterday was alright, very pink!

Wimbledon today was absolutely gorgeous. Inside No. 1 court was very purple - it didn't distract but looked good. But outside is where they've really gone to town. They had rings everywhere, pictograms at every turn, big banners, even a giant hedge of Wenlock.

Looking forward to seeing what they've done with Lords and Horse Guards tomorrow.

I'm just watching USA vs. Angola in Basketball Arena!

What a beautiful venue!

I still don't like the fence/wall separating crowd from the court... Why is it so ugly?

I don't like it either.

It's a temporary arena so I guess some of that shows.

It's the same in the Volleyball court too...

I'm afraid, it's the standard...

I love how the look is represented in different color schemes at the various venues. (Wish Atlanta and Sydney had done something like that; instead we got turquoise and blue, respectively, as far as the eye can see....). The color scheme at the various venues is reflected on each sport's page on the official website. There are eleven (!) unique color schemes. Here's a rundown:

20jqyl3.png

Blue/Pink: Lee Valley (Canoe Slalom), Weymouth and Portland (Sailing)

2a9a3gi.png

Blue/Red: Dorney Lake (Canoe Sprint, Rowing), ExCeL (Weightlifting)

28vzrpj.png

Blue/Yellow: Aquatics Centre (Diving, Swimming, Synchro), Water Polo Arena

2yvor28.png

Pink/Blue: Riverbank Arena (Hockey)

2i1pbu0.png

Pink/Red: Wembley Arena (Badminton), Basketball Arena, Hadleigh Farm (Mountain Bike), North Greenwich Arena (Artistic Gymnastics, Trampoline), Copper Box (Handball)

14wuatt.png

Purple/Blue: Greenwich Park (Equestrian, Modern Pentathlon)

drb3nn.png

Purple/Green: Lord's (Archery), Wimbledon (Tennis)

k3ovmw.png

Purple/Pink: Football (all venues)

vqisrt.png

Purple/Red: Olympic Stadium (Athletics), Royal Artillery Barracks (Shooting)

2hpn1om.png

Purple/Yellow: Horse Guards Parade (Beach Volleyball), Road Cycling courses, Hyde Park (Triathlon)

zugjrd.png

Red/Blue: BMX Track, Velodrome, ExCeL (Boxing, Fencing, Judo, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Wrestling), Earls Court (Volleyball)

I have to say, the logo looks fantastic on the middle of the floor at the Basketball and Handball arenas, especially in the latter.

Past logos have looked out of place right in the middle of a high energy environment, but London's logo's dynamism works very well.

Archived