The Look of the games

I tend to stay out of the aesthetic debates - it's to each his own taste - but I have to defend the posters who've mentioned the lines inspiring the logo. I DO remember reading that explanation at the time of the logo launch as well. It's definitely not an after-the-event justification.

I think it's very easy to look at any given current Games and seeing them as the pinnacle of complete Olympic design integration, but I still believe we have seen it before.

As has been mentioned, the complete Athens 2004 look was extremely slick and worked in well together, you could look at that and say that it was an easier task, they had the common thread of esentially everything that is Olympics..... is Greece

Even Torino though, everything from their torch, look, pictograms etc etc had that same fluidic stylish Italian link to it.

London does seem integrated well, it's a case of you either like it or you don't.

As I've said before, the London Olympic urban look will be a winner. I can see it being the best design. It will be competing with the likes of the Salt Lake building wraps, the Sydney rings on bridge, and the dynamic LA 3D look - but I can see it all developing that London is going to take this aspect to a whole new level, that in itself is a great achievement for the total design team.

Of course though, as simplistic as it is, when we here await the Look of the Games, when the design starts to be unveilved for a new Games - we don't look towards that stuff, we want the bread and butter. We're looking at the design, it's normally 2d, it's the wallpaper.

We all looked for the quilt of leaves, the fluid energy, the rhythm crystal, the panorama.

In that case, we have the London lines.

I think there is always an element of BS with this kind of stuff, it reminds me of that episode of Friends when Pheobe got a dot tattoo, and tried to claim it was a tat of the globe.

You can make a dot have meaning if you're in the design business.

As nice as the idea is, I don't really see the whole concept of *the world converging on london* as being unique. I think Torino's piazza concept was just as daring and had pretty much all of that wrapped into their design.

LookT06-2.jpg

The piazza is the perfect Olympic and Italian metaphor for expressing the Ideals of the Games – friendship, fair play and respect – while offering a modern interpretation of the Italian spirit. The piazza is full of contrasts. Different structures, cultures, lifestyles, rituals, languages, opinions and beliefs mingle, each retaining their unique character while drawing energy from others. It is here that ideas are born and dreams are realized. Tradition exists with innovation. Art with commerce. History with modernity. Expression with restraint.

Seems to me , alot of the reasoning of making the London look sound unique, is echoed there in Torino. And to be fair, the visual look in itself (while possibly not the most memorable of all) is a little out of the box too.

I think the London look is going to look fantastic when applied in certain instances, but I can also see it failing in other applications. From the gaming mocks, I think the venues will look pretty good. HOwever on some of the banners we've seen, it just looks like a mono colour, the lines aren't easy to distinguish, and they lack abit of the Olympic look appeal. Maybe that's just my personal tastes.

As a side note, I can't help but notice in alot of the Jubilee coverage that a similar(ish) look was used, the whole intersecting line thing. Im guessing this is heavily influenced by the facets of a diamond. Is this just a happy coincidence, or has it ever been noted that the Olympic look does give a slight nod to anything Jubilee related?

• Like 1

I tend to stay out of the aesthetic debates - it's to each his own taste - but I have to defend the posters who've mentioned the lines inspiring the logo. I DO remember reading that explanation at the time of the logo launch as well. It's definitely not an after-the-event justification.

My post has been roundly misinterpreted. Saying the lines are representative of "intersecting cultures" is what I find an after-the-fact justification and patently transparent.

I do not believe the look had been thoroughly designed at the time the logo was revealed. If it had been, we wouldn't have seen those geometric shards all over the website for years.

Someone (I forget who) wrote a while ago that they thought LOCOG went with a very conservative Look in response to the complaints about the logo. (As a British friend of mine said a year after it had been unveiled, "The whole of Britain is mortified by it.") I don't know if this hypothesis is true or not, but it certainly seems plausible.

The logo may have been a flop, but it was daring. The Look played it very safe and delivered something bland and unimaginative. It's neither flop nor success. It's just there.

The reality is that we are arguing about a fact. Either intersecting lines and the Look were designed simultaneously with the logo or they were developed afterwards. I don't think there's any question the lines are supposed to coordinate with the logo. The question is the motivation. Was it the concept from the get go? Was it a salvage job? Or something in between?

All of us are guessing. None of us knows for a fact. You know my opinion. Let's move on.

• Like 1

The south bank centre is decked out in flags made of a patchwork quilt of world flags as part of there exciting festival of world which will run right through the summer they also have some Olympic festival 2012 branding on the ground floor entrance, (The first branding I’ve seen)the Royal festival hall has never been one to display the union jack, I noticed this last year during the Royal wedding, this is in contrast with the National theatre still decked out in bunting like the rest of London, I also notice the London 2012 bunting will be very similar to the jubilee bunting anyway, triangular union jacks etcetera, I think the organisers will be wanting the Jubilee to roll in to the Olympics, I thin it most highly unlikely the Massive Photograph of the Queen on sea container house will come down before the Olympics,

I also saw the meddles first hand for the first time at the British museum. The Paralympics medals are superb, the back sculpted like rock formations, I find the back of the Olympic meddle is just ok, the front is fine of course.

The south bank centre is decked out in flags made of a patchwork quilt of world flags as part of there exciting festival of world which will run right through the summer they also have some Olympic festival 2012 branding on the ground floor entrance, (The first branding I’ve seen)the Royal festival hall has never been one to display the union jack, I noticed this last year during the Royal wedding, this is in contrast with the National theatre still decked out in bunting like the rest of London, I also notice the London 2012 bunting will be very similar to the jubilee bunting anyway, triangular union jacks etcetera, I think the organisers will be wanting the Jubilee to roll in to the Olympics, I thin it most highly unlikely the Massive Photograph of the Queen on sea container house will come down before the Olympics,

I also saw the meddles first hand for the first time at the British museum. The Paralympics medals are superb, the back sculpted like rock formations, I find the back of the Olympic meddle is just ok, the front is fine of course.

To me all of those little extra touches are fun and will feel a bit more UK-specific. Union Jacks, foreign flags, portraits of the Queen -- while not officially part of "the Look" they will help spice things up and create a more celebratory atmosphere.

It's definitely cheerful. I like the giant London 2012 triangles stretched across the street. Nice to see everything isn't monochromatic.

Their treatment of the logo really does not pop on any of the elements. The fine white outline looks a bit apologetic for its own presence. Perhaps it is.

I'm a bit surprised that so many banners are curved. This Look has been so aggressively straight lines and sharp angles that the curves surprise me. I probably wouldn't have made that choice, but I don't know that it's too detrimental.

The best bit are the shards stretching across streets. They are really nice, I hope we see a lot of that.

I definely much prefer the shards look than the plain banners. Hope the have the shards arranged in a more adventurous ways like having them fly around in every direction and every size instead of hanging them like a bunting.

Their treatment of the logo really does not pop on any of the elements. The fine white outline looks a bit apologetic for its own presence. Perhaps it is.

I expect adding another colour (and considering the venue colour combinations you'd need all manner of different coloured banners in various combinations) would be hideously expensive. These banners are paid for by local authorities so can't be too costly for them. I imagine LOCOG would want them as cheap as possible to get a larger amount of look out there.

I'm a bit surprised that so many banners are curved. This Look has been so aggressively straight lines and sharp angles that the curves surprise me. I probably wouldn't have made that choice, but I don't know that it's too detrimental.

They're feather flags, they come curved whatever design goes on them.

They're feather flags, they come curved whatever design goes on them.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But there are other types of street banners available. LOCOG chose that style rather than something angular. Its not as though they HAD to choose a feather banner.

I expect adding another colour (and considering the venue colour combinations you'd need all manner of different coloured banners in various combinations) would be hideously expensive. These banners are paid for by local authorities so can't be too costly for them. I imagine LOCOG would want them as cheap as possible to get a larger amount of look out there.

My point is that the look really minimizes the logo. they didn't have to add a color, they could've just done the logo in solid white rather than just outlining it -- which is quite recessive. For whatever reason, they chose to make it as diminutive as possible.

That website really got my tastebuds tingling, I like the talk of one off events that will happen across London at key landmarks. And the fact The mall is down to have its own special Olympic branding scheme

I wouldn't be surprised if the scheme for the Mall is alternating Olympic flags and Union Flags on the exisiting, very grand flag poles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the scheme for the Mall is alternating Olympic flags and Union Flags on the exisiting, very grand flag poles.

I think that's doubtful. It's rare that a city's Look includes displaying the host's flag so prominently because they know people will be carrying them and waving them on their own.

I think that's doubtful. It's rare that a city's Look includes displaying the host's flag so prominently because they know people will be carrying them and waving them on their own.

But the Mall is unique in London in that it leads to Buckingham Palace, the residence of the Head of State. Because of the large trees lining the road, the large flag poles are the only things to utilise.

I think British and Olympic flags would look very stately and elegent

ZH106181_429long.jpg

That would indeed look very nice and elegant but again, I wouldn't be surprised if they forgo Union Jacks for something else. I mean not even Beijing outfitted their nationalist landmarks with Chinese flags. But I might also be eating my words next month so we'll see!

That would indeed look very nice and elegant but again, I wouldn't be surprised if they forgo Union Jacks for something else. I mean not even Beijing outfitted their nationalist landmarks with Chinese flags. But I might also be eating my words next month so we'll see!

Although on reflection, the fact that the Mall is effectively a venue means it probably won't feature Union Flags.

My point is that the look really minimizes the logo. they didn't have to add a color, they could've just done the logo in solid white rather than just outlining it

A solid white logo would only work on black, as otherwise you'd have the rings reversed out in the colour of the banner.

A solid white logo would only work on black, as otherwise you'd have the rings reversed out in the colour of the banner.

What's wrong with that? LA had giant magenta rings and turquoise ones.

The colored banners with bright white logo and colired rings reversed out would've worked fine and would have popped better.