The Look of the games

While the *shapes* look would probably have been a gooden for the urban look of the city, I wonder if the LOCOG officials were perhaps thinking that they would have been a tad busy and distracting for the signage around the field of play?

I know alot more consideration for those elements probably go into it than we actually think. I know red for instance is a colour they try not to use too much due to the fact that it tends to bleed on tv, so perhaps the bombastic nature of the logo inspired previous look just wasn't the one they were looking for lining the stadiums.

In saying that, a good one for making statements around the city.

I guess what we often see as a dominant look in the lead up to the event isn't the one we see come Games time. I remember back to 2004 Athens went overdrive on a look that seemed to be their logo in close up. They used them for online wallpapers, e cards, backdrops to their press conferences. At the end of the day, of course, we ended up with the amazing looking panorama look.

• Like 1

Don't feel like this warrants a new thread so I'm going to ask here:

Is London's motto "Live as One" (according to wiki)?

Will "Live as One" be featured prominently on banners and graphics around London? Don't think I've seen too much of the motto from the preparation leading of to these Games.

london1.gif

london4.gif

I don't know whether those are official pictures. "London" with a capital L? In the logo, they have "london" with a lower case l. And where is the logo in that design, by the way?

Sorry, I chose the wrong pics and can't edit my post. I wanted to choose the two basketball venue pics of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this image of the look books cover. I hope whoever designed the cover has had no major input into the games look. Why the title has to go over the main part of the image I have no idea. I know Im being picky but simple stuff like that is like someone running their nails down a blackboard to me

4b93579c58eca43cefe0831.jpg

• Like 1

This is a joke. While I loved the logo from the start, I assumed the look would be an explosion of fun and color and graphics, I've seen nothing impressive yet. If this is indeed the COVER of the book that presents the look, it's a terrible disappointment so far..

I still have high hope for brilliant ideas coming from this unique brand. Good luck London.

This is, I take it, the cover of the book given to councils to decide what they want to buy for their streets.

I agree with Davey about the weird placement of the headings, but it looks like a typical London 2012 public-information pdf of the type we've seen over the past four years, and none of them have been that impressive. I wouldn't read too much into the slapdashness of its layout.

The image in the background of course, gives us a glimse of the street decor, but again it's only a glimse. I still think the Mario and Sonic trailer is most likely the best idea of the Look we've had so far. If anyone hasn't seen that it's here:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1698015029435

Comparing that to the image above, you can see the rowing venue is dressed very similarly.

Edited by RobH

These are not the banners which feature in the BBC News article images when Boris did a press release about giving the boroughs money to dress the streets- considering that, plus how long the Mario & Sonic trailer has been made I'd say this is an old version.

I reckon they'll be refining the design of the banners up until they're printed (didn't this happen in Vancouver?)

Is London still planning to hang Olympic rings on Tower Bridge and the London Eye? Or has that been scrapped....

edit: Nevermind, I searched on google and see the plans are alive and well, though English heritage ate trying to derail the idea of sponsors logos being shown too.

bd

Edited by Michelle

Which is madness because the sponsor logos are a projection, only shown for half an hour, but they are happy to have a flopping great set of Olympic rings up there, 24 hours a day for months on end. If they see it as a problem they should complain about the whole thing. Its madness, madness I tell ya

I assume they think it might be the thin end of a wedge which could allow companies in the City to project their logos onto their buildings. That would spoil the skyline somewhat. I would hope (and think) tbat fear would be unfounded though.t This is a unique set of circumstances and needn't set any kind of precedent.

• 4 weeks later...

A crop "cricle" would have been a great way of launching the logo back in 2007 actually. A few London 2012 logo shapes appearing in fields across the UK. Maybe also one appearing in Beijing. People would be asking what these weird shapes are, they could already have had a cult following before the logo was launched. What an opportunity missed?! :D

BTW, now following you on Twitter.

• 3 weeks later...

picture4ux.png

This is an email I recieved from 2012, its all starting to come together really nicely. I think this is gonna be a really nice Look to a games. Very different to the usual wavy lines. I knew I didn't need to worry

who did receive this e-mail? I have an account of London2012, but didn't receive that e-mail...

:(