The Look of the games

The fireworks looked fantastic last night. People are already in a party mood. Now get that Olympic branding up : )

I think it goes up like 10 days before so that they're still fresh by July 27 and then will at least not look wilted by the close of the Paralympics. Getting them up too soon also exposes all that bunting, etc., to being ripped off too early.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to understand Makrun that Baron rarely corrects people for the sake of it or nitpicks when it comes to small details. He's pretty chilled like that.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be correct though of course.

You have to understand Makrun that Baron rarely corrects people for the sake of it or nitpicks when it comes to small details. He's pretty chilled like that.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be correct though of course.

Of course!

It's such a hair-splitting situation that many people can't be bothered about. It's 4 nations at FIFA, GB with the IOC, but UK with the UN. What's the representation at the Vatican or Mecca? :rolleyes:

Coincidentally, the Olympics will be in England so it's not really a mistake even though technically the host nation is Great Britain.

I'm talking specifically about the team - it's Great Britain - not England. And when I said guests, I mean radio and television guests. They need to be given proper briefings before they go on air.

It really isn't difficult to try to pay basic courtesies to the host nation. It's just polite and gracious. Not even making an attempt is rude and self-centered.

Conversely, the host nation should be gracious and realize that some people will make the error out of genuine ignorance and will mean no offense.

The fact remains that the Games ARE in England.

I'm talking specifically about the team - it's Great Britain - not England. And when I said guests, I mean radio and television guests. They need to be given proper briefings before they go on air.

I see. I'd be surprised to hear NBC commentators refer to the "English team." You're much more likely to get simply "the Brits" or "the host nation."

As Prof. Henry Higgins/Alan Jay Lerner/Bernard Shaw sang-talked:

This is what the British population,

Calls an elementary education. Pickering Oh,

Counsel, I think you picked a poor example. Henry Did I?

Hear them down in Soho square,

Dropping "h's" everywhere.

Speaking English anyway they like.

You sir, did you go to school?

Man Wadaya tike me for, a fool?

Henry No one taught him 'take' instead of 'tike!

Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?

This verbal class distinction, by now,

Should be antique. If you spoke as she does, sir,

Instead of the way you do,

Why, you might be selling flowers, too!

Hear a Yorkshireman, or worse,

Hear a Cornishman converse,

I'd rather hear a choir singing flat.

Chickens cackling in a barn Just like this one!

Eliza Garn!

Henry I ask you, sir, what sort of word is that?

It's "Aoooow" and "Garn" that keep her in her place.

Not her wretched clothes and dirty face.

This verbal class distinction by now should be antique.

If you spoke as she does, sir, Instead of the way you do,

Why, you might be selling flowers, too.

An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him,

The moment he talks he makes some other

Englishman despise him.

One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.

Oh, why can't the English learn to set

A good example to people whose

English is painful to your ears?

The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.

There even are places where English completely

disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years!

Norwegians learn Norwegian; the Greeks have taught their

Greek. In France every Frenchman knows

his language fro "A" to "Zed"

The French never care what they do, actually,

as long as they pronounce in properly.

Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.

And Hebrews learn it backwards,

which is absolutely frightening.

But use proper English you're regarded as a freak.

Why can't the English,

Why can't the English learn to speak?

Of course, I would've changed it to --

Is it one, two or three or four nations?

Split-personalities?

Please, for everyone's sanity- DECIDE!!

By the way, BBC seems to be getting a lot of stick for its inept 'dumb-downed' broadcast of the Jubilee esp the river pageant and a little on today's pageant. I admit the river pageant coverage is abysmal after I rewatch it on iplayer. And today's Paloma Faith + Fearne Cotten Queens sick bag feature is a tat insensitive.

It made me wonder if BBC will pull its act together as they are the host broadcaster. I am especially concerned on the editing of the live coverage. From this jubilee broadcast, a lot of problems are due to editing, the decision to show scenes that are irrelevant when more important ones are happening.

What do you guys who are in Britain watching the BBC coverage think?

Going by Beijing's Look thread, we didn't really start to see Beijing dressed up until two weeks before those Games. So as Baron said we'll probably have to wait until mid-July to see London's complete Look in action.

Esp in Great Kingdom, it will rain, they'll get the sun, etc., etc. and they would want them to 'flutter' in the breeze...which would be hard with soaked fabric, so... I mean it would be a blow to John Bull if he couldn't get them up!! j/kidding! ;)

Just wanted to share this picture of Bucking Palace with the Projected image of the Union Jack on it...I just Love it!!

282722_10150993313735250_108384711_n.jpg

I agree that's a great projection. My other favourite is when The Madness was playing and the projection of the palace crumbling down and revealing different houses and characters behind. Thought that was simply brilliant! Plus they are my fave act last night (other than Grace Jones!) :)

I agree that's a great projection. My other favourite is when The Madness was playing and the projection of the palace crumbling down and revealing different houses and characters behind. Thought that was simply brilliant! Plus they are my fave act last night (other than Grace Jones!) :)

Hehehe that was amazing too, and Madness really did get the crowd going, I have a new found respect for Sir Paul and really loved his set.

I have never felt so patriotic and everyone around was so friendly and chatty, so proud to be British, even choked up and shed a tear singing the national anthem...Now Bring on the Games!!

I am especially concerned on the editing of the live coverage. From this jubilee broadcast, a lot of problems are due to editing, the decision to show scenes that are irrelevant when more important ones are happening.

Suddenly becomes clear why Danny Boyle wanted his own television director in place for the Opening Ceremony.

I agree that this wasn't the BBC's finest hours over the past few days. Seeing them cut away from the pageant for a chat with some random strangers makes me worried that they'll spend more time pointing out famous faces or chatting to kids in the audience than showing actual events. And the inanity of some of the questions being asked "Oh, isn't it a big barge?" rather than anything to do with the details of it.

I think part of the problem is that their big guns have moved on or retired. The new recruits don't have that mix of gravitas and self-deprecation down yet. They are either overly serious (Huw Edwards) or too lightweight (Ferne Cotton). We shall see how Gary Lineker and Sue Barker do.

I am hoping that the backlash from the media around this might just make them reconsider their Olympic plans and focus.

Aren't camera angles and general direction at Olympic venues (not necessarily the ceremonies though) controlled by the Olympic Broadcasting Services so everyone gets mostly the same, well-thought out feed?

I wouldn't be too worried.

I walked down the mall today and the Diamond jubilee torch the Queen lit last night was no longer there, I imagine they don’t want to course confusion with the Olympic flame, I also don’t know weather any of the seating and stage will be used during the Olympics or removed, I cant imagine the bunting will come down strait away that tends to hang around for a bit after the jubilee , the massive picture of the Queen on Sea container house may be replaced with Olympic imagery or could be duel purpose, the Olympics are in the Diamond jubilee year after all, who knows the Queen may even be the final torch bearer,

The flotia was fantastic full stop.

I didn’t see anything particularly wrong with the BBC coverage

The news coverage was good.

The concert last night was great but I wasn’t mad on the choice of presenters between acts

Will the BBC be a good broadcaster for the Olympics lets hope so ,

Suddenly becomes clear why Danny Boyle wanted his own television director in place for the Opening Ceremony.

I agree that this wasn't the BBC's finest hours over the past few days. Seeing them cut away from the pageant for a chat with some random strangers makes me worried that they'll spend more time pointing out famous faces or chatting to kids in the audience than showing actual events. And the inanity of some of the questions being asked "Oh, isn't it a big barge?" rather than anything to do with the details of it.

I think part of the problem is that their big guns have moved on or retired. The new recruits don't have that mix of gravitas and self-deprecation down yet. They are either overly serious (Huw Edwards) or too lightweight (Ferne Cotton). We shall see how Gary Lineker and Sue Barker do.

I am hoping that the backlash from the media around this might just make them reconsider their Olympic plans and focus.

I'm with you, I'm glad at least the opening ceremony is in safe hands.

I am still trying to understand why Matt Baker, a lifestyle programme presenter was chosen to anchor such historic programme over the many other presenters out there esp from the news team. The 'HRH' The Queen thing is ludicrous.

The BBC's coverage could've been better and, certainly, it felt a little lightweight and under-researched at times. But...

1. To hear the Daily Mail complaining of inane coverage is frankly astonishing. To hear them claim, after a four-day weekend of non-stop often quite fawning coverage, that the BBC "holds those who love the Royals in contempt", unbelievable. Any complaints from this rag I'll dismiss as their usual agenda when it comes to the BBC.

2. It wasn't good tele and I don't think even the best coverage could've changed that. The pictures were stunning, but it's a stretch to talk for four hours about some boats on a River, even if there are a lot of them!

Anyway, let's not get caught up in the negatives, or stray too far off topic. London looked fantastic this weekend and if the rest of the world saw these pictures all the better.

I was annoyed by one bit from the BBC

Rolling credits of last nights concert right over the finale fireworks really annoyed me. Ok it over ran, surely running them across the bottom would have been better as it meant we missed most of them.

The point they then went straight to the news which basically just covered the concert was madness, we just watched it and you ended it early to then just re cap what we had just seen. I would have prefered to see the fireworks in full and less of a re-cap

Well, in those Sega screenshots the venues look a bit more bi-color. There's still a dominant hue, but there are accents. For instance, swimming is blue and yellow. That would definitely be preferable to an all blue venue. Boy is there a lot of purple, though. Yowzah.

The logo didn't come from intersecting lines. I don't want to speculate about where the logo did come from (there are all sorts of horrible things I could write here, but I will restrain myself...) What I will say is that the intersecting lines came later. They are purely an attempt to make some sense out of the logo and create a cohesive aesthetic. They are simple and safe and they will do their job.

Archived