The Look of the games

The banners and fence fabric will be fine if not particularly inspiring.

The pink and purple combo is truly horrendous though. I can't believe they could find enough people to agree that this was a good idea!! Just imagine them next to the red Orbit. Bleccckk!! Truly awful. I didn't see the pink in all the decor files. It really throws a miserable monkey-wrench into what started looking like a semi-ok palette.

The more I think about this the only thing I can figure is that some folks at LOCOG approved these horrible outfits to make the other volunteer uniforms they unveiled a few months ago look LESS awful... they were terrible looking too but not nearly as bad as these pink abominations... so if we complain enough about these then next month LOCOG will come up with something even worse to offset the revulsion to all of their previous design choices... could this be the plan?

Calm down dear they are only uniforms - you are almost having a baby over this - deep breaths!

They are ok - do the job - link with the look and for sure they'll stand out in a crowd.

I don't think "Calm down dear" travels well as a catchphrase Adrian. :lol:

I really like the hats, and I don't mind the colours at all actually, but the patterning on the jackets makes everyone look like a jockey, and for that reason I don't like them.

I'm a little confused however, are these the uniforms all 70k volunteers will be wearing, or just the so-called 'ambassadors'?

Edited by RobH

They're the London Ambassadors uniforms. The Games Maker uniforms are the purple ones unveiled a few months back.

There's a difference between the two, in that Ambassadors are around London and direct/answer questions to visitors outside of the Olympic venues and peripheries.

As has already been said in a news article (and Davey posted a sign a few weeks back) pink is the wayfinding colour which will guide visitors around Tube stations and Olympic venues, so it's I guess a link that if people are in doubt about directions look for the pink people or signs (which, incidently, is the colour of the first logo unveiled).

• Like 2

They're the London Ambassadors uniforms. The Games Maker uniforms are the purple ones unveiled a few months back.

Of course they are, ignore me I'm getting confused.

Edited by RobH

I think we should remember this is not a London 2012 idea, this was Boris's Idea, he has connected the branding with design of the outfits.

They are not great but on the good side you will only see them around the city not at the Olympic Venues or inside the Venues, as a London 2012 Volunteer I am proud to wear the Official Volunteers clothes...but do agree the outfits for the Ambassordors are not great and I really hate the hat!!

I think we should remember this is not a London 2012 idea, this was Boris's Idea, he has connected the branding with design of the outfits.

They are not great but on the good side you will only see them around the city not at the Olympic Venues or inside the Venues, as a London 2012 Volunteer I am proud to wear the Official Volunteers clothes...but do agree the outfits for the Ambassordors are not great and I really hate the hat!!

You sure it was Boris' idea? First time I've heard that.

You sure it was Boris' idea? First time I've heard that.

Hey Rob

I was 100% sure until you said that lol so I ran a search and found this:

The 8,000-strong "army" of volunteers will wear the distinctive outfits and operate out of 43 ambassadors pop-ups (dubbed 'Boris Pods' as the project is the brainchild of Mayor of London Boris Johnson) at key locations across the capital offering information and support to tourists and Londoners alike.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9148875/London-2012-Olympics-Mayor-of-London-Boris-Johnsons-8000-strong-volunteer-army-for-Games.html

• Like 1

I know the pink started in the logo, but it was a deeper hot pink -- not that pepto bismol color. The pink wasn't anywhere to be seen in the banners though. Red, orange, green, purple, yellow. It feels like the design teams arent talking to each other. Where's a style guide when you need one?

I have to say that pink and purple really don't say Olympics or sports to me. Cupcakes, candy, eight year old girl's birthday party, Easter eggs, yes. Olympics, no.

That hot magenta in the logo was a totally different story. Similar colors worked well for LA, Athens and Torino. It has to be deep and intense though. The ambassador outfits are way too cotton candy.

And I have to say cotton candy pink looks truly lousy next to fire engine red. As you Brits would say, somebody needs to get that sorted in a hurry.

If I were a volunteer, I'd be tempted to throw out my pink jacket/shirt after the Games. Which is too bad, because with almost any other colour, I'd keep it as a souvenir of good times.

There's no red in the palette. The pink is from one of the venue colours: the gymnastics test event had a pink carpet. A first i think.

The purple looks great. Very regal. The stadium shots make it look very, very classy and very British.

Not sure what the problem is saying they are kids colours for eight year olds who like making cupcakes- the whole reason London wants their attention...

• Like 1

One guy from SSC named Olympic Lad posted a pdf archive containing somes banners I believe is the oficial Look of the games....

1-2.png

2-2.png

3-2.png

4-2.png

5-2.png

Part 2

6-1.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

DarJoLe, this repost is for you. That sure looks like red to me. I know they call it the orange pack, but the deepest value looks very much like a true red.

Regardless of what you call that color, it's going to look terrible next to the bubblegum pink of the ambassadors' outfits and the Boris pods. I can't really imagine a worse combination.

"So hideous hate this hate that rubbish horrible shoulda woulda coulda ugh blah blah"

Come on, people!

Remember when the brand was unveiled and everyone exhausted the thesaurus entries for 'ugly' and wanted to gouge their eyes? Admittedly I myself was taken aback my the pink-and-blue colorway at first, but I thought the core concept was very clever. I wondered how the rest of the look would turn out, holding on to the notion that if there's any city in the world that can pull this off, it would be London.

And now, almost five years after the launch, it's all coming together nicely -- the pictograms, the look, the uniforms, even the architecture of the venues. It has definitely aged well. It looks so current and unified compared with those of previous games. It doesn't have that generic "swishy swashy doodly curvy blotches set in the 8-color crayola palette with some tropicana variation sometimes" look that is so typical not only in the Olympics but in other similar events as well. The influence of the look is palpable, too -- how many infills and geometric motifs have we seen in the fantasy logo and bid competitions here?

The Team GB uniforms are awesome as well. The general opinion is that it's not British enough. Why, if that's the case then we might as well make the athletes wear something like this:

jac2.jpg

Which will match the logo that everyone feels is the right one for London:

olivertaylor400_450x320.jpg

That will inspire the look of the games, too!

20_union_jacks-pg-horizontal.jpg

Groundbreaking.

• Like 1

I tend to agree. I think in some cases, such as with the ambassadors' uniforms, there isn't the substance to go with the style. But for the most part I think we're now getting there and am glad we've gone for something a bit different. Still need a decent looking website though!

There was an article in the Evening Standard just over a year ago saying Boris Johnson had vetoed the "look" of the Games and was instead demanding read, white and blue street decorations. From everything we've seen since we know that not to be true, or if it was true we know Boris lost that particular fight.

But Kendian raised a good point in reaction to that news which is worth requoting:

The mayor has that much control? The look should fit the Olympic Brand. Another lesson from Vancouver...VANOC avoided red for the most part because they knew that locals would be wearing it in support of Canada and its athletes. Thus, the brand would not stand out.

Thinking about it, I think LOCOG have done the same thing.

The brand will stand out and so will the thousands of Union Flags. They won't merge into one indistinguishable whole.

Vancouver-2010-Hockey-team-canada-10663741-396-594.jpg

Edited by RobH

The hot pink of the official logo fights with the colors of the banners. The logo itself has not improved with age. It's just more familiar. The Ambassadors outfits coordinate with nothing. The Orbit is a monstrosity that resembles a crumpled trombone. It's color coordinates with nothing. The mascots are bizarre freaks. The predominance of purple (even in the medal ribbons) feels more "My Little Pony" than Olympics.

The only aesthetic strengths are the pictographs and some of the venues.

I love London. I love the UK. it's a beautiful country with great design sense. Unfortunately the Olympic look does not showcase that. It is disjointed and confused. I expect the Games to be expertly organized, but in my opinion, visually they are a mess. It all started with the wretched logo.

The only strong points I see

The only strong points I see are the aforementioned pictographs and some venues. And of course the inherent beauty of the country itself, which I hope will counteract some of the Olympic decor.

The hot pink uniforms aren't to be liked, they're to be seen. The same goes for every other contrasting colour used in venues and uniforms, it's so every visitor during the games can distinguish easily between different people and places.