The Look of the games

It's more to do with flexibility in general. See here:

adidas-and-london-2012.jpg

You can't do the above with any previous Olympic logo that has the same traditional composition without everything starting to look messy or striping the logo from its most distintive features and altering it past resemblance.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if Rio had used their bid logo for their Olympic logo it would've been one of my favorites as well.

Rio's bid logo and font were great, I was really impressed with what they came up with for that. I also loved at the image was off-center with the text. Though, FWIW, I also really liked Chicago's original bid logo.

Rio's logo is awesome, it captivates the Olympic spirit, the joy of different peoples united in a celebration of sport, which one of the few big common social denominators that bring us and our different cultures together.

I think that Rio's Olympic and Paralympic logos are very interesting due to the fact that they are also sculptures...

exposicao_casa_brasil_londres2012_foto_wander_roberto_07_0.jpg

The President of the Organizing Committee, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, and the sculptures of the logos of the Rio 2016™ Olympic and Paralympic Games at Casa Brasil. (Photo: Wander Roberto/Rio 2016)

My all time favourites (from SOG)

Top 3 favourite logos

1) Los Angeles (all time favourite)

2) Barcelona (got me inspired to take up graphic design)

3) Athens (symbolic and timeless)

Top 3 favourite 'Looks'

1) Mexico City (a Look on acid from the genius Lance Wyman)

2) Athens (brilliant marriage of ancient and modern)

3) Munich or London

I think that Rio's Olympic and Paralympic logos are very interesting due to the fact that they are also sculptures...

exposicao_casa_brasil_londres2012_foto_wander_roberto_07_0.jpg

The President of the Organizing Committee, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, and the sculptures of the logos of the Rio 2016™ Olympic and Paralympic Games at Casa Brasil. (Photo: Wander Roberto/Rio 2016)

I look forward to seeing the Look for Rio. I like the fact that both have a dimensional quality but I do prefer the Olympic symbol, which has more rhythm. I keep seeing a face mask or an athletic guard/support for the Paralympic logo!

I look forward to seeing the Look for Rio. I like the fact that both have a dimensional quality but I do prefer the Olympic symbol, which has more rhythm. I keep seeing a face mask or an athletic guard/support for the Paralympic logo!

I think it is going to be similar to Athens' colorful look, but a little more wavy and with the predominance of that Green-Yellow-Blue which we can already see in the Rio 2016TM website.

It's not just being used to frame national flags, though, is it?! That is just one use that the logo is being put to.

The fact that it is able to be used like that is unique in Olympic logo design and that, amongst other things, makes it innovative and distinctive.

Try, for example, using Rio's logo to infill with flags. Err...doesn't work.

Of course. You need a big chunky shape. Once you have a big chunky shape you can fill it with anything you want. I still don't get the marvel.

If you look at the Rio 2016 logo, it is such a backwards step from London. It is a return to the staid, boring logos of most previous Olympics.

As others said before, Rio 2016 is the first real 3D logo in a sense it shapes as a sculpture or monument. This is particularly powerful for the Paralympics, Rio's being the first games to have an accessible logo for blind athletes to actually feel the logo of the games. This is not a step backwards but a major leap ahead on the portrayal of the universal and dynamic message of the olympic movement.

I think London has given us plenty of London's logo. There's no call for Rio to follow suit. That said, I think Rio's logo is only slightly superior to London's.

To be frank, setting aside their aesthetic qualities, I'm just pleased neither of them are running men (a la Barcelona, Sydney, Beijing, Vancouver, Singapore YOGs).

Barcelona I'll obviously excuse because they forged that template rather than copying it. But Rio and London - like Athens - have gone for originality and hopefully with two Summer Games in a row not apeing Barcelona's (brilliant) logo, we'll keep up the originality and not see our friend the running man again for a while.

I laughed earlier whilst reading a post on Skyscraper... So I had to quote it here

On the frontage of Harrods there is a large image of Tom Daley in his swimming trunks stuck to the window.... however to deter window lickers the trunk area is pixilated out. (really... its weird)

The same couldn't be said though for the nearby image of Jessica Ennis, which had a queue of would-be window lickers.

Archived