The Look of the games

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paris would have done a much better job. Carraro, Cinquanta, Pescante, Grandi, Tarpishchev and Smirnov should be ashamed of themselves for voting for London instead of Paris.

Paris would have had perfect weather, no need for the French military either. A French contractor would have provided the service or not bothered to promise it in the first place. Real police on the street with guns and plentiful immigration officials at ports of entry wouldn't be allowing suspected terrorist into the county. CDG wouldn't be so deprived of immigration officials that they couldn't bother to check. Paris would have had a perfect branding, all the volunteers would be dressed in the finest Lacoste. Paris would be a riot of colour and the French would be eagerly awaiting the arrival of the games and their most welcome guests. A Paris OCOG wouldn't have made snarky comments about previous hosts, the French media would have stayed on message and not embarrassed themselves by attacking those same hosts.

Francois Hollande would be a perfect statesman to open the games and Bertrand Delanoe wouldn't be an eye soaring embarrassment unlike his London counterpart. The French federations wouldn't have raped and pillaged other countries sports infrastructure, because the French would have been happy and satisfied with being a gracious host that didn't prize sports domination.

The clay courts of Roland Garros would have provided a far superior test for the tennis players. The celebrations would be centered in and around the main corridors of the City of Lights, instead of shuttled off into some poor part of the city.

Oh and Paris would have been the most sustainable host with the greatest living legacy. Which so many of you always bemoan about the IOC not doing. Well you can blame the six men listed above, because instead of the fantastic Paris 2012, we are being served up London 2012 and unlike Oliver the world won’t be saying, ‘Please sir, can I have some more’.

Oh well, Paris 2024 will show them how it is done.

Mais oui! T'as raison!

Paris would have had perfect weather

hmmm not so sure thats right i have just sent 3 days in Paris and it was cool and wet each day. Out taxi driver told us this weather was more like November than July.

I also had to wait 2 hours at the airport to drop my bags off never had to do that in London

Does it LOOK like it was worth that? That figure for intersecting lines... You better get inspired design for 400k.

I was actually speaking more of the implementation though -- the small, widely spaced banners made of wrinkled material, etc.

Look I love the logo just for the record, but the world is full of people who will pay through the nose for utter rubbish. I'm not a graphic designer but I have a team in my department that are who get really annoyed every time someone in my company goes outside of the company for a design. There are still some pictures lying around that the company paid a fortune for that was meant to depict all the different disciplines required in engineering etc. To the rest of us it is just a 'Where's Wally?' (Waldo) picture...

I get it. Some people hate the logo, some people love it. To others it's just okay. That's alright by me as the world is built on diversity otherwise it would be a very boring place. For the love of god though, can we move on from the logo bashing? It is here to stay so let's just get on with it... :mellow:

P.S. that last bit isn't directed at Athensfan in particular, just a plea to everyone really!

I actually have grown into the logo. Not my favourite, still don't like it. But it is there, so lets get on with the show. The look and the other graphic elements are better than I had hoped, still not great. But when one was fearing garrish 80's design and colour what London put out is positively smashing.

Seriously - you haven't been in the bleeding place - give it a break - the village on my last visit is full of colour and vibrancy! your endless moaning about the look is becoming a little boring!

We all get it you don't like London's look - you think it's cheap etc! Alas - I have been in the park & around the city & it's all pretty good! I'm on record saying it's not my favourite look - Athens 04 & LA 84 being the best IMO. I respect your view but your endless carping is becoming more than a little tiresome!

I'm just looking at the pictures in the article. Some of those pictures do appear pretty sterile. My post was a response to those who said LOCOG didn't cut costs on decor. I was noting the scarcity of banners. I was not talking about the aesthetic choices of the Look.

Truthfully, the Look has turned out better than I originally expected. I was afraid it would be garish and repellent based on early indications, but it most definitely is not.

It actually turned out to be very plain and basic -- something I was not expecting. It is not offensive, it's just not inspiring.

I've commented on numerous elements that I like: the pictograms, the giant Glasgow banners, the triangular shard banners, the strands of small flags...

I do think the majority of elements seem a bit too small and spread out in such a way that they don't make much impact. I'm hypothesizing that that's due to cost-cutting and cited the sparsely decorated OV as an example. I would wager a guess that none of us on these boards have seen the OV with its current decor. Therefore all of us have to base our conclusions on photos taken by others.

I think it has to be noted re: the banners (certainly in London anyway), that each of the 33 boroughs was given some money from the Mayor and the Look catalogue. I don't know how much guidance they had from LOCOG's team, but assuming they bought what they thought would look good and put it up themsevles it's not surprising there's variation in the quality between different locations.

Outside of London I know Newcastle council decided to spend the majority of their decoration budget on the rings on Tyne bridge.

The branding at the back wall in aquatics is going up. The colour looks brighter than the Adidas ad though.

Source: Liam Tancock's tweet

http://lockerz.com/s/225616716

This venue is going to look fabulous and not just because of the branding. In general, this and and the velodrome I am really looking foward to seeing on TV :) Looks cool - thanks for posting that!

Is it just me, or are the British Labour Party behaving disgracefully? They are allowing there to be a sense of 'crisis'.. almost as though they are using the security mishaps to embarrass the Govt and LOCOG.

From what I understand, the security situation is being resolved, and that the private security firm is at fault. Labour now seem to want this to drag on and on. Don't they realize they are damaging brand London in the process? Where is the logic?

No wonder the foreign media are reporting about this situation. If the British are concerned, why shouldn't they? They are making this situation 10 times worse.

Is it just me, or are the British Labour Party behaving disgracefully? They are allowing there to be a sense of 'crisis'.. almost as though they are using the security mishaps to embarrass the Govt and LOCOG.

From what I understand, the security situation is being resolved, and that the private security firm is at fault. Labour now seem to want this to drag on and on. Don't they realize they are damaging brand London in the process? Where is the logic?

No wonder the foreign media are reporting about this situation. If the British are concerned, why shouldn't they? They are making this situation 10 times worse.

Labour are doing the same as the Tories would do were it the other way around, I'm sure of that. And yes, seeing Kate Hoey on BBC Breakfast trotting out cliched phrases like "totalitarian police state" (the same Kate Hoey who said London shouldn't bother bidding as Paris would win 2012 when we was in government) was embarrassing. They have to ask the questions though I guess, but you do get the impression with some opposition politicians and some of the press that there' no shades of grey; either everyhing's fine or it's OLYMPIC CRISIS! Tessa Jowell on BBC London a few days ago was a lot more balanced in her analysis though to give her her due.

Not sure what this has to do with the Look of the Games though?

I don't know. I think Labour has legitamite points to make. Especially where security is concerned. LOCOG did promise transparency and oversight. One does wonder why there was none for G4S, or to the larger question as to way a private company was providing the bulk of the security. I think I am right in assuming that the UK has no national police service, so a solution like that used for Vancouver couldn't be used. But still, a private company?

Jowell was the minister responsible for the first part of the games, so one would hope she has a balanced and clear view of things.

Not sure what this has to do with the Look of the Games though?

Didn't want to start a new thread, and be accused of undermining the London bid, again :)

I think I am right in assuming that the UK has no national police service, so a solution like that used for Vancouver couldn't be used. But still, a private company?

I think thats right. I believe the Metropolitan Police are the authority in and around Greater London. Though, they seem to be stretched as it is, hence the need for this company. Not sure for definite though.

Truthfully, the Look has turned out better than I originally expected. I was afraid it would be garish and repellent based on early indications, but it most definitely is not.

It actually turned out to be very plain and basic -- something I was not expecting. It is not offensive, it's just not inspiring.

I've commented on numerous elements that I like: the pictograms, the giant Glasgow banners, the triangular shard banners, the strands of small flags...

I do think the majority of elements seem a bit too small and spread out in such a way that they don't make much impact. I'm hypothesizing that that's due to cost-cutting and cited the sparsely decorated OV as an example. I would wager a guess that none of us on these boards have seen the OV with its current decor. Therefore all of us have to base our conclusions on photos taken by others.

no i have been in the village - it looks good - better when the sun comes out!

I have to say from what I saw today, the aquatics mesh does look dirty. It obviously doesn't look like a 'grey' mesh no matter how we pretend it is.... the patches of brownness gave it away that it is dirt. Even the white solid fabric is quite dirty you can see streaks of stains on it at parts. Disappointed they wont be cleaning it, there's simply no time now with such huge surface area to clean.

Archived