The Look of the games

Brief summary

I dont work for London 2012

Re talking about spectators when comparing 2 pictures of venues one full of people one totally empty with black seating totally computes.

I think certain venues are stronger than others branding wise, its always going to be like that.

I agree with, I think it was Kevzz that the branding looks stronger in a larger scale ie on the Diving wall, but I still think its great.

Some of the banners are a bit small and should be bigger. But The whole of London is being decorated, has this been achieved before? Where I live, in the middle of nowhere, and 100 miles from London the town centre has been branded, It's a very impressive feat.

Londons branding is a different direction from previous hosts, it will change with Rio and again after that. But Ive said it before and Im not going to say it again. Lets judge it when its done and we see the full picture. With venues dressed, venues full and action on the pitch.

OOOh you go away for the weekend and there is a lot of catching up to do isnt there. Has anyone got any pics of the rings on the Aquatics Centre?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From this pic, it seems the giant ring is elevated above ground underneath the temp stand concourse floor. Bit odd, maybe it's meant to be a welcome gesture for the press and VIPs arriving under the entrance there. I don't think they will clean the mesh fabric anymore, such a shame cos they look mucky can do with a good wash-down!

2d47cdac.jpg

Some images of the shards look at Oxford St today. I thought Bond Street looks really good as they hanged the lamppost banners overhead across the street (ala Regent St flags). So they are more dense together and it works so much better that way. These lines of coloured banners over the street.

fdb9d98f.jpg

a0ef9d2b.jpg

From this pic, it seems the giant ring is elevated above ground underneath the temp stand concourse floor. Bit odd, maybe it's meant to be a welcome gesture for the press and VIPs arriving under the entrance there. I don't think they will clean the mesh fabric anymore, such a shame cos they look mucky can do with a good wash-down!

2d47cdac.jpg

You caught them in the middle of their raising:

http://instagram.com/p/NG6-qlj7tQ/

I don't think they will clean the mesh fabric anymore, such a shame cos they look mucky can do with a good wash-down!

It doesn't look quite as grimy in real life as it does in the picture; just a few shades off rather than lots!

2d47cdac.jpg

Some images of the shards look at Oxford St today. I thought Bond Street looks really good as they hanged the lamppost banners overhead across the street (ala Regent St flags). So they are more dense together and it works so much better that way. These lines of coloured banners over the street.

fdb9d98f.jpg

a0ef9d2b.jpg

I like the shards, but they're so small and spaced so far apart that they don't make enough impact. The same seems to be true of many of the Look components.

I agree with the Oxford Street Shards, they needed to be bolder or closer together, did someone get the measurements wrong? The venues look so nice lit up their different colors.

I like how Yahoo have done their own London 2012 branding then criticize the logo. Baron, people will always find something to criticise : )

They can do two shards in one line on Oxford Street. It's definitely wide enough to accommodate two in opposing direction. The way they hang it is quite shoddy, some parts are a bit torn off at the edge. The finish quality is not the greatest

They can do two shards in one line on Oxford Street. It's definitely wide enough to accommodate two in opposing direction. The way they hang it is quite shoddy, some parts are a bit torn off at the edge. The finish quality is not the greatest

Thats a pity

I didn't manage to take pics on Bond Street, but would definitely recommend anyone to go there to see how the Look is best implemented. It's really wonderful, as Bond St is quite narrow, all the banners are very close to each other across the street. It's like a rainbow canopy!

What?! The original concept cost £400, 000!

Does it LOOK like it was worth that? That figure for intersecting lines... You better get inspired design for 400k.

I was actually speaking more of the implementation though -- the small, widely spaced banners made of wrinkled material, etc.

Is this the thread where time stands still?

I was reading Yahoo!'s Olympic news and spotted their new article on the logo. Not surprising they would mention it since the Games are about to begin. This thread is about the Look. Many have said "Just wait for the whole package and it will all work beautifully with the logo." Well, I think we've pretty much seen the full package and my opinion of the logo (and evidently the opinions of others quoted in Yahoo!'s new article) remain unaltered. With a few large scale exceptions (MPC, Diving), on the majority of banners, fence fabric, dividers, etc., the logo appears to be somewhat apologetically minimized.

Time doesn't stand still, but as it turns out, the quality and appeal of the logo did.

This Daily Mail article has been posted elsewhere, but I think it belongs here too. While their likening if the ambiance of the OV to North Korea seems needlessly cruel, I have to say that the OV appears quite antiseptic and barren. The scarcity of banners and look elements is glaring and leaves the environment feeling cold and not very celebratory.

This is another example of how I suspect cost-cutting has compromised the Look of the Games.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172837/London-2012-Inside-Olympic-la-la-land-Village-Neon-signs-tell-happy.html#ixzz20b9DQJpa

This Daily Mail article has been posted elsewhere, but I think it belongs here too. While their likening if the ambiance of the OV to North Korea seems needlessly cruel, I have to say that the OV appears quite antiseptic and barren. The scarcity of banners and look elements is glaring and leaves the environment feeling cold and not very celebratory.

This is another example of how I suspect cost-cutting has compromised the Look of the Games.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172837/London-2012-Inside-Olympic-la-la-land-Village-Neon-signs-tell-happy.html#ixzz20b9DQJpa

Seriously - you haven't been in the bleeding place - give it a break - the village on my last visit is full of colour and vibrancy! your endless moaning about the look is becoming a little boring!

We all get it you don't like London's look - you think it's cheap etc! Alas - I have been in the park & around the city & it's all pretty good! I'm on record saying it's not my favourite look - Athens 04 & LA 84 being the best IMO. I respect your view but your endless carping is becoming more than a little tiresome!

Paris would have done a much better job. Carraro, Cinquanta, Pescante, Grandi, Tarpishchev and Smirnov should be ashamed of themselves for voting for London instead of Paris.

Paris would have had perfect weather, no need for the French military either. A French contractor would have provided the service or not bothered to promise it in the first place. Real police on the street with guns and plentiful immigration officials at ports of entry wouldn't be allowing suspected terrorist into the county. CDG wouldn't be so deprived of immigration officials that they couldn't bother to check. Paris would have had a perfect branding, all the volunteers would be dressed in the finest Lacoste. Paris would be a riot of colour and the French would be eagerly awaiting the arrival of the games and their most welcome guests. A Paris OCOG wouldn't have made snarky comments about previous hosts, the French media would have stayed on message and not embarrassed themselves by attacking those same hosts.

Francois Hollande would be a perfect statesman to open the games and Bertrand Delanoe wouldn't be an eye soaring embarrassment unlike his London counterpart. The French federations wouldn't have raped and pillaged other countries sports infrastructure, because the French would have been happy and satisfied with being a gracious host that didn't prize sports domination.

The clay courts of Roland Garros would have provided a far superior test for the tennis players. The celebrations would be centered in and around the main corridors of the City of Lights, instead of shuttled off into some poor part of the city.

Oh and Paris would have been the most sustainable host with the greatest living legacy. Which so many of you always bemoan about the IOC not doing. Well you can blame the six men listed above, because instead of the fantastic Paris 2012, we are being served up London 2012 and unlike Oliver the world won’t be saying, ‘Please sir, can I have some more’.

Oh well, Paris 2024 will show them how it is done.

Archived