The Look of the games

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A caldron will be lit by the TV transmitter and ice rink at Alexandra Palace as part of the torch relay a couple of days before the opening ceremony , so I think we are seeing just the beginning of the dressing up process.

In the sunlight today the pupil and green look,

I also noticed Camden high street has banners up, but not at Camden lock market yet where a torch relay caldron will also be lit.

I think it depends on the angle the pics are taken from. I have seen a few that look hohum and then a few that do show scale better and look more impressive. Just a thought on the Bond helicopter sequence that was filmed without them there - presumably if that is going to be used, they will need to add them in in post-poduction.

Its not an Olympic venue, its not in the centre of London, just one banner is shown on a lampost in an area outside the city. I don't think the whole of London could ever be given such an intense treatment as the city centre or the Olympic park. Can we judge the scheme on this image, I very much doubt it.

Of course the whole city can't and shouldn't be blanketed, but wouldn't it make sense to concentrate the Look in places and leave others unadorned? There are numerous pictures in the last few pages of this thread that show one or two small, lonely banners off by themselves. In the picture I commented on there are a few other undecorated lamps posts as well. It just seems like either you decorate with multiple elements of the Look, or you omit the decor. I don't see what one or two lone banners achieve. There's no impact.

I took these the other day the look at Alexandra palace is under stated , but I quit like it,

7427494734_058a36df8f_b.jpg

7427501974_6e1a529237_b.jpg

7427505646_486626dfab_b.jpg

7427507180_cf25c3a41d_k.jpg

These pics are all examples of what I'm talking about.

tumblr_m63d5zWLjB1r9wzxfo1_500.jpg

Another example.

The rings look rather underwhelming on the bridge. I think they would've been framed better on the Eye.

But a month to go! Exciting times!

I'm sure I read somewhere that they will be lit up for the duration of the olympics. I also think the London Eye would have been a perfect location but maybe the logistics of fitting them were too much of a challenge.

Well this is pretty wonderful to me.

7455901380_b3c146c956_b.jpg

7455902988_9fef6f23f2_b.jpg

YES!! I agree. THAT makes an impact. No more wasting money on one measly little banner here or there. This has color and drama and is much more effective. I wish they would do more of this.

I'm really amazed at how inconsistent this Look can be....

DarJoLe, did you notice the red?

It's orange.

What?! It's red, then blue, then orange/yellow, then purple/pink, then green. It's as red as a fire truck or a stripe in our flag.

Well this is pretty wonderful to me.

7455901380_b3c146c956_b.jpg

Are you seriously telling me that big banner in front is NOT RED??!!

It matches the colour combinations of the venues which are orange, blue, purple and magenta. The orange saturates on screen but it's definitely orange in print. There aren't magenta banners around the city because that's the colour of the way finding.

There's only six colour banner combinations, (orange, blue, yellow, purple, green, magenta) and each of those has six tints from the bright to dark, which you can see in the exploding bursts on the conference table, the bright being the correspoding tint of the emblem.

What' so impressive about the Media Center? It looks like every other Olympic Media Center... and if anything, that's a very boring background.

But those Glasgow pics! The color and the size of those banners really make up for the otherwise underwhelming criss-cross-of-lines motif. Looking great!

It matches the colour combinations of the venues which are orange, blue, purple and magenta. The orange saturates on screen but it's definitely orange in print. There aren't magenta banners around the city because that's the colour of the way finding.

There's only six colour banner combinations, (orange, blue, yellow, purple, green, magenta) and each of those has six tints from the bright to dark, which you can see in the exploding bursts on the conference table, the bright being the correspoding tint of the emblem.

I'm sorry. In my book that's red. It's a beautiful color -- I have no problem with it. Oranges (the fruit) are orange. That is red.

By the time all the graduated values of each color are applied it basically looks like every color in the rainbow. The one thing they had been avoiding was muted tones -- that is until they went with the grayed purple for the backdrop of the Media Center.

What' so impressive about the Media Center? It looks like every other Olympic Media Center... and if anything, that's a very boring background.

But those Glasgow pics! The color and the size of those banners really make up for the otherwise underwhelming criss-cross-of-lines motif. Looking great!

Totally agree. I think people are just happy to finally see some Olympic branding. I'm not sure they're really analyzing the quality of the design.

well, that's what I'd call a fiery red. It's NOT crimson; not scarlet; not blood-red; not Chinese good-luck red; and not fire-engine red; nor rose red. It's a bright fire-red.

Ok. Fair enough. The fire trucks in the station around the corner from where I live are EXACTLY that color though.

It's not that red in reality. It just flares into a hot orange red when looking through a screen.

Will have to take your word for it, I guess. Though it looked red in the digital renderings too. I must admit, however, it's not like the fate of the world hangs on what we call this color. It's bright and cheerful and makes a nice addition.

Archived